Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Website hosting Etc.

I’ve had Bluehost for a little over 3 years now...within the last year I have been completely unsatisfied and I think it is time to switch hosting services. Those that have websites - what do you have and why? Is it a fair price? Any issues that you have? Thanks all in advance.

Comments

• What are u selling/showing?

• edited October 2019

@ipadbeatmaking I’ve got two blogs/ sites with my wife. One is a blog that is pretty picture heavy and focuses on family life from a Catholic perspective. The other is a website for her line of ethically made medical scrubs, called Moscati Scrubs. We are still in the design phase for the first pair of scrubs but will be launching a Kickstarter soon, so you can imagine having a reliable website is pretty important.

If you’re interested, great! If not, any insights into better performing hosting services would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.

• Maybe squarespace if u don’t mind monthly hosting fees. It’s pretty flexible with different types of sites u can make from it and it gives u a good starting place for design etc

• I myself used adobe muse, wordpress, and square space in the past. Only reason I’ve moved on from those is because my website needs an automated system for uploading, selling, digital product fulfillment to the customer, and the capacity to add products (beats and kits) daily that allow for audio and video demos/previews very quickly with very little thought or action. So I use a platform that’s built specifically for that.

• edited October 2019

https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/shared/ - unlimited domains, subdomains, storage, emails, databases, SFTP/FTP, free control panel...

VPS hosting - https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/vps/

• https://www.vintcer.com/ Is good value at just $40 single lifetime payment. They use imcreator.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@mjcouche said:
    @ipadbeatmaking I’ve got two blogs/ sites with my wife. One is a blog that is pretty picture heavy and focuses on family life from a Catholic perspective. The other is a website for her line of ethically made medical scrubs, called Moscati Scrubs. We are still in the design phase for the first pair of scrubs but will be launching a Kickstarter soon, so you can imagine having a reliable website is pretty important.

If you’re interested, great! If not, any insights into better performing hosting services would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.

Etsy is good for store sites, such as your wife’s. My wife uses it, and was able to set it up on her own. (I told her she needed to since the sense of pride and ownership wasn’t the same when I did a Store for her previously.)

I’ll be starting work on two websites for a friend starting in a few weeks. I’ll be watching this thread with interest.

• I use Amazon Lightsail. It's cheap at a low usage level but is very scalable if your sites grow. You can install any tools you need. The downside is that you are very much your own sys admin.

• @Mark B said:
    https://www.vintcer.com/ Is good value at just $40 single lifetime payment. They use imcreator.

Do they do bulk deals for Buddists?

• Thanks everyone! I’ve got a lot to look into...

• I think the suggestions of Etsy and Squarespace are solid, especially Etsy for the craft store as that is right up their alley. You might want to go about looking at it the other way for the image heavy web site: is there a photo sharing service you could imagine using, and which also has good sharing capabilities. Flickr springs to mind (as I am a user of it myself), but there are others too of course. Removing the heavy lifting of serving files (i.e. photos) that could potentially be large could mean you could use a cheaper solution for presenting the site. Also, any photo sharing service you use could potentially be a funnel to your web site for more users, that then could come from the photo service. Wordpress would work fine for that too, and can come in both hosted and/or self-hosted version, depending on your technical knowledge on these matters.

Personally I run my sites on virtual server hosted by Digital Ocean, and for my personal sites (i.e. not client sites) I currently run on a static Content Management System (CMS) called Grav. As it is a static site (which means they use very little resources) I am spending my money on a Content Delivery Network (CDN) instead, such as CloudFlare (but there are others too).

Depending on the amount of estimated traffic you should be vary of "unlimited" deals on various hosts. Read the fine print carefully. The old saying "if it sounds too good to be true it usually is" applies here, and there is usually a clause that involves "fair share", without ever defining what that "fair share" actually is, which in turn means it is up to them to change the deal as and when they see fit, and they will probably be able to conjure up numbers to "prove" it.

Also, "lifetime deals" should be seen as "the lifetime of the company", not your lifetime. I shall have a look at Vintcer myself, but I know for a fact Amazon Web Services (AWS) which Vintcer states they are using are their service provider, is far from cheap, and definitely not free. $40/lifetime could be used up rather quickly on AWS by a site that gets visitors, regardless of what bulk deals Vintcer might have done with Amazon. As I say, read up on it carefully. Good luck.

• @hellquist thanks for all of that. Gotta look into Cloudflare. CDN is the main issue right now, though there have been others...

• Yearly $25 and lifetime $40 from vincter does not sound like a sound business model that would sustain.

• @MobileMusic said:
    Yearly $25 and lifetime $40 from vincter does not sound like a sound business model that would sustain.

Agreed. I was an early adopter to one provider and got beat pretty bad from a music cloud back up service a few years back (like a Dropbox that auto syncs music projects) and lost all those files behind them having issues with amazon and not being able to afford to keep going. If I hadn’t backed up to hard drives a lot of client projects and mixes would’ve went down the drain. The deal seemed to good to be true and it ended up being so. $40 site could be perfect as a momentary bridge between two hosts/platforms as long as your ready for the high probability of them not being around long term and have a backup plan ready. I really like the Etsy idea as that’ll get u the eyes and thats the hardest part. And squarespace is a little expensive but ultra ultra reliable. Good luck.

• @MobileMusic said:
    Yearly $25 and lifetime $40 from vincter does not sound like a sound business model that would sustain.

They are a white label of imcreator. You are getting the same website creation and hosting, but cheaper. I’ve used them for a year so got my money’s worth.

https://www.imcreator.com/whitelabel

• @Mark B said:

@MobileMusic said:

They are a white label of imcreator. You are getting the same website creation and hosting, but cheaper. I’ve used them for a year so got my money’s worth.

https://www.imcreator.com/whitelabel

Problem with services like this is you’re putting all your eggs in one basket. Problems with the service, or company, and bang - you lose everything.

Use separate companies for domain registration, hosting, and CMS platform. That way if one thing goes amiss you don’t lose the lot.