Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Audiobus Forum Rocks

I must say that this is the most enjoyable and rewarding forum I belong to now. other music app forums have less helpful posts. Mostly whiners and complainers. You people here have more helpful exchanges. Thanks.

Comments

• Someone knock on wood. FAST! ;-)

• Sorry, I'm waiting for Beatmaker 2 to get on the bus before I knock on anything.

• Testament to the regular feedback from the developers I think.

I notice on other forums when people are left guessing that's when the hating starts eg:feelings of abandonement etc.

• Yes, also Sebastian's pretty good at putting out fires without being rude.

• edited February 2013

I have to say that we're a bit surprised by the responsiveness of users like you guys. It's a pleasure to see you helping each other - sometimes even before Mike and I get to reply. Thanks especially - but not only - to mgmg4871, PaulB and Ryan.

• A guy's got to have a hobby. :)

• @PaulB

Sorry, I'm waiting for Beatmaker 2 to get on the bus before I knock on anything.

you took the words out of my mouth

• +1 @ all of it.

• @PaulB 6:34PM A guy's got to have a hobby. :)

Or as my wife calls it, "an obsession!"

• It helps not to have a life. Lol

• @Sebastian You're very welcome. I receive from this forum a lot more than I give.

• I love it here! I keep up with all of my update's just by coming on the forum.

• Don't tell Tim but I've basically stopped reading discchord since this forum launched.

Main reasons are only really care about audiobus compatible apps at this point and someone announces each one here. Also, the commenters here are just a level above the commenters there. :)

Also also, I read this sorta stuff on my phone 4 out of 5 times. Vanilla's mobile formatting is just lovely.

• Yeah, I've received nothin but love from the audiobus developers and Marcos over at SAMPLR....top class dudes in my book. They obviously know a lot about building relationships and loyalty with their customers. I cannot say this about intua. They won't even respond to direct support questions about legit questions about BM2....

I, like many others, would LOVE for BM2 to get on the bus....and we wait patiently.....I just hate spending money on companies that seem to neglect their customers.

Well done audiobus. Also, great forum.

• edited February 2013

Let me clear something up about Beatmaker 2: I'm currently testing it and it's basically ready. Just wait a little more for it to get submitted and approved by Apple. Also I've been very involved in how they implemented Audibus - which means its nicely integrated and should be a pleasure to use.

• @Sebastian: Have Intua implemented Audiobus in the sample recorder? Being able to record synth notes straight from Animoog to the sample recorder for immediate chopping would be really convenient.

Can't wait for the BM2 update!

• @KALT: I'm not really that familiar with sampling but I was able to record from Magellan into Beatmaker's sampler just now (and then edit the audio, of course).

• Audiobus forum definitely Is the best forum I've been to for iOS music production. Also found out about a month ago via this forum that Orphion was free for a bit and grabbed that quick. Now it's 4.99 but orphion + jamup pro is freaking AWESOME. So shout out to whoever posted that thanks. Highly recommend orphion with jamup.

I'm just really thankful audiobus came out just as I was getting into iOS music production. I got into it a few months before audiobus and always asked myself "why isn't there an easier way to do this???". Read the moog filtatron review and heard everyone talk about how it needs audiobus, did some research and here I am now.

• @Sebastian: That's great news, thank you. I only use a handful of apps (BM2, Animoog, Magellan and Filtatron) but being able to record straight into BM2 from those apps instead of going through the current record-copy-paste dance will be a great time saver.

• edited February 2013

@KALT: Because of your comments I've spent some time with Mathieu (one of the developers of Beatmaker 2) to try and improve the workflow for sampling some more.

• So when is BeatMaker 2 going to be updated?!

• It still needs to be submitted and then it's (typically) a 5 business day wait until Apple approves it. But submission day could probably be imminent.

• edited February 2013

Your such a big tease Sebastian.

Beatmaker2 is definitely a missing link in my Audiobus setup.

So much anticipation for a lot of people with this update.

• I'm not teasing. Everyone is asking how long stuff takes but even developers can't really tell. You guys really need to understand that there is no way to say for sure when an update is ready until App Review has actually approved it. Sometimes bugs are found 5 minutes before submission. Sometimes bugs are found one day after submission, so the binary has to be canceled.

The only thing that is certain is that users are going to be annoyed and leaving bad reviews if there are blatant bugs in an app. Intua are doing the right thing with waiting for Beatmaker to be ready. I'm really looking forward to it being live - actually I'm looking forward for the next version of the beta version that will have the new sampling stuff in it so I can test it. Maybe it'll be done after that.

• That's really great news, Sebastian. Thanks for passing on my suggestion.

BM2 is my favorite iOS app, by far. I'd much rather have a bug-free update done right than something rushed out just to appease the impatient.

• I understand Sebastian I was only kidding !

Good luck with the bug hunt....

Looking forward to another great addition to Audiobus.

• Thanks!

One last rant about this:
    It's funny (and I'm guilty of it as well) when people ask developers how long something that has never been done before is going to take. Developers will try to give an estimate, but communicating this to the public is always tricky, because you can't take it back easily. So users always want to know when a new version/update is going to be ready and developers can't really tell until very late in the development process - sometimes only after this process is done.

So while it's tempting to announce a certain feature, because it is positive PR, it's also very dangerous for a company to do that, in case something goes wrong (and it almost always does).

The only way to announce something is to be sort of vague and make sure users know exactly that estimates are estimates and not certain release dates. And even that policy's success is doubtful because one can never explain all of the necessary details to 100% of the users. Some will get it wrong and complain.

• Hey Sebastian, On kind of a side note. Do you know if it is possible to write in an expiration day and time into an app? The reason I'm asking is that people could get the app for free for like a day just to see if they like it, then it would expire and be useless after that. That way a consumer doesn't go in blind and buy something just to find it a waste of money. You know what I mean? I have purchased a few apps that I are useless to me. Just curious.