Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Contacting 4Pockets

2»

Comments

• @dendy said:

Since we’re actually talking about DigiStix rather than Pulse here,

aah sorry, didn't read whole thread, just jumped in middle after i was mentioned in discussion :

Only because NS2 came up and you are the guru of NS2. Also, I love the combo of NS2 and DS so a slight derailing of the thread is OK. :D

• @anickt said:
    This from the dev:

People should follow the link on the (App Store) listing. Alternatively they can post on my facebook channel 4PocketsAudio or contact me via my YouTube channel 'Paul the Musicman'.

Same here ... the App Store link takes you to website with no contact details
    AppStore comment said can you give me details xxxxx? But there was not contact

Someone from this forum gave me his contact details

• @wim said:

@audio_DT said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:

@bleep said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:
    I emailed him a few weeks ago but got no reply. Oh, well.

Strange - he gets back to me in a day or so during the week.

I asked him about getting it to record midi output in NS2, and I’m beginning to think it’s just not possible. I have DigiStix and EG Pulse, both of which I love, but without being able to record the midi into NS2 they’re just toys for me. It’s a real shame because I’m a big fan of both.

That sounds more like a NS2 problem. What have they said about it? Would be natural to start there.

Maybe it is. I’ve asked on here about it but no one seems to know. It’s such a shame because I’d love to be able to use DigiStix and Pulse in NS2. It just means I spent money on them but never really use them, aside from the odd bit of messing about in AUM. But they’re both great apps, no question about that.

It’s definitely NS’s problem, and unfortunately not likely to be resolved any time soon. In the meantime have you considered just hosting it in AudioBus or AUM to send the midi into NS2? You can use one instance outside the NS2 to do the sequencing in, and one instance in NS2 to play and to record the midi.

Thanks for this, Wim. I did try but didn’t succeed. Any tips on doing it this way? I’d be keen to get it going, if at all possible.

Yeh, I’ll give you the step by step if you let me know whether AB or AUM is your tool of choice.

That's very kind of you, Wim. I do prefer AUM but I can use AB, too, if you like. I've tried to do it but can't get the midi recorded into NS2, for some reason.

• @dendy said:
    Same method can be used with Audiobus instead of AUM - just make sure you load "control" Pulse instance in "MIDI" tab of audiobus, instead of "audio"

Dendy, you're an absolute star. I'll try this later on, after work. Massive thanks.

• @wim said:
    Since we’re actually talking about DigiStix rather than Pulse here, I’ll add that it’s handy to create a “Silent” kit in both apps so as to not have to worry about muting audio. DigiStix won’t send midi out with an empty kit, so I quickly created such a kit by dragging an empty sample I have onto each pad. Here’s the link in case anyone wants this useful file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhkwe1bqqlsdnxd/Void.wav?dl=0

Again, many thanks, Wim. Man, I love this forum :-)

• @dendy said:

@audio_DT said:
    Thanks for this, Wim. I did try but didn’t succeed. Any tips on doing it this way? I’d be keen to get it going, if at all possible.

Just load Pulse in NS.. Then run AUM, and load another Pulse in AUM (but not into audio channel, instead of that load it to MIDI channel - you will use it only as controller for Pulse loaded in NS)

Now set routing in AUM Pulse -> NS

Done. Now Pulse hosted in AUM is 't actually playing anything (i mean no sound), just sending MIDI into NS Pulse instance which will play sound. Now, if you hit record on NS, notes played in Pulse/AUM instance will be recorded to sequencer, into track with Pulse.

Dendy, I've just tried this - my problems are over, it works superbly. Once again, thank you very much indeed for your kind assistance. Many thanks to @wim, too - you're both on my virtual Christmas card list :-)

• @audio_DT you're welcome ;)

• Great @audio_DT, glad it's working.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

I received a response on my app store review that mentioned the way velocity layers are implemented (copied verbatim from the response):

Developer Response
    Please contact me through my Facebook if all else fails 4PocketsAudio or use the email address [email protected].
    Regarding the velocity layer thing, I am thinking of adding an additional mode to allow single sample triggering however the most requested way and the way was to layer them.

So, as I suspected, the way DigiStix handles velocity layering is by design. This is why it was important to get a response. Since it's not seen as a bug it wouldn't normally have been addressed.

Has anyone ever seen a Drum machine or sampler, that stacks samples on top of each other at different velocity layers? Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe it's a thing I've just missed.

Anyway - a little better clarity on contact methods, I think.

• edited October 2019

@wim said:
    Has anyone ever seen a Drum machine or sampler, that stacks samples on top of each other at different velocity layers? Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe it's a thing I've just missed.

So a single note trigger will play more than one sample simultaneously? That sounds odd.

Or are you saying a second note trigger at different velocity plays another sample on top of the first (without muting the first). This seems standard, and is what I would expect from a drum machine and a polyphonic instrument sampler. [Edit: I’m just guessing, and curious about your question. I don’t really have input on what is normal or not]

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@Hmtx said:

@wim said:

So a single note trigger will play more than one sample simultaneously? That sounds odd.

Or are you saying a second note trigger at different velocity plays another sample on top of the first (without muting the first). This seems standard, and is what I would expect from a drum machine and a polyphonic instrument sampler. [Edit: I’m just guessing, and curious about your question. I don’t really have input on what is normal or not]

If you load samples on layer 1 through 5 and set velocity starting points for each sample (example: 1, 25, 50, 75, 100), and play at velocity 100, all five samples play at once. if you play at velocity 25, the first two samples play. The way I expected and have always seen it done, is at velocity 1-24, sample one would play. At velocity 25-49 sample two (only) would play. At velocity 50-74, sample three, and so on.

But maybe my experience multi-layer drum machines is off-base? I've just never seen it done this way, and would never use it that way. It sounds terrible, with phasing, multiple transients, etc.

As for whether a sample should be muted if another sample is triggered by the same pad ... normally that would be determined by whether it's a one-shot sample or not. If it's identified as one-shot, it should play all the way through. If not, it should only sustain as long as the note is held down, then the release envelope should be triggered. At least that's the way I'm used to.

With velocity layering, there's sometimes cross fade between samples in adjacent layers so that you don't get sudden jumps in sound character at the transition points. That can introduce phasing or other issues, so I'm ambivalent about whether that's a good thing or not. I'm not a big sampler guy, so take anything I say with a big grain of salt.

• @wim said:

@Hmtx said:

@wim said:

If you load samples on layer 1 through 5 and set velocity starting points for each sample (example: 1, 25, 50, 75, 100), and play at velocity 100, all five samples play at once. if you play at velocity 25, the first two samples play. The way I expected and have always seen it done, is at velocity 1-24, sample one would play. At velocity 25-49 sample two (only) would play. At velocity 50-74, sample three, and so on.

But maybe my experience multi-layer drum machines is off-base? I've just never seen it done this way, and would never use it that way. It sounds terrible, with phasing, multiple transients, etc.

Don't worry , velocity layering was always meant to work the way you described , the dev kindly added that feature ,but wasn't aware how it's supposed to work :)

• @Korakios said:

@wim said:

@Hmtx said:

@wim said:

Don't worry , velocity layering was always meant to work the way you described , the dev kindly added that feature ,but wasn't aware how it's supposed to work :)

Just wrote him an email describing why I think it should be changed, and will leave it at that. B)

• @wim said:

@Korakios said:

@wim said:

@Hmtx said:

@wim said:

Just wrote him an email describing why I think it should be changed, and will leave it at that. B)

Heh. I have still not received a response to my message on Facebook, but now I'm starting to realise it will not happen.

Ah well. Back to DPP, Drumagog and building my own multivelocity kits in sfz format.

• @wim said:
    Great @audio_DT, glad it's working.

Thanks. You know I spent ages trying to get it working myself, often spending half hour here and there, to no avail. Cheers.

• Oh wow, yeah for anyone looking for multi-layer drum sample playback, its safe to say DigiStix is BROKEN at the moment. One single note input should always play only one sample (as assigned to that specific velocity range).

Its gotta be difficult keeping up with everything, definitely no hard feelings for Paul and his reputation for customer interactions. I don’t have DigiStix or need the multi-layer drums, but here’s hoping that issue gets fixed for those who do need it.

And I do love the 4Pockets apps that I own. Shimmer is my favorite.

• What I suggested to the developer for Velocity Layers is that triggers for these are added within the Controllers along with Pitch, Probability etc: There could be a Controller for Layers which would allow per-step assignment of numbers 1 through 5 which would trigger the corresponding layer.

This would be an accurate means of "sample flipping" and would expand 16 voices to a potential 80(!) per Drum Kit.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@Proppa said:
    What I suggested to the developer for Velocity Layers is that triggers for these are added within the Controllers along with Pitch, Probability etc: There could be a Controller for Layers which would allow per-step assignment of numbers 1 through 5 which would trigger the corresponding layer.

This would be an accurate means of "sample flipping" and would expand 16 voices to a potential 80(!) per Drum Kit.

That would be neat, but only as an addition to normal velocity layer behavior that's just triggered by ... note velocity. I would truly hate to see that suggestion cloud the waters for the developer. :|

• edited October 2019

Actually “all of the above” is the correct answer. Many older samplers offered multiple modes for velocity including stacking. Obsidian and Slate in NS2 offers several modes of velocity playback including the one in DS. Variety is the spice...

• edited October 2019

I got this reply today on my question regarding velocity layers that I posted on Facebook:

"I'm looking into adding the ability to set upper and lower velocity limits which would work for both cases (addative and exclusive)"

That obviously doesn't mention an ETA or similar, and doesn't actually promise anything in any direction, but it sounds hopeful still I think.

• I got a reply as well now that I've written to the correct email ( [email protected] ). My suggestions (beyond bug-reporting) are essentially to take DigiStix from being modeled as "just" a drum machine to a slightly broader and more capable beast (perhaps as an IAP) which to me really comes down to the following additions:
    An ADSR for both percussive and melodic content.
    A Controller dedicated to layer-triggering.
    Filters per pad.
    The addition of Dotted notes along with the existing Triplets.

Velocity-layers could still work via volume if said Layer-Controller wasn't engaged. Because DigiStix has such a brilliant sequencer with Controllers etc it's not far from being a real Flagship workstation. Fantasy at this point but potentially so much joy.