Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for a multitrack recorder for Audiobus with Ableton Link

I'm looking for a quick way to record my audiobus jams in separate tracks.
I currently use Auria but I'm looking for something lighter and with Ableton link integration (I don't want to configure Midi settings each time in order to record tracks in place)
Can you suggest something to me?

Comments

• @mrrain said:
    I currently use Auria but I'm looking for something lighter and with Ableton link integration (I don't want to configure Midi settings each time in order to record tracks in place)

How long are your tracks? Do you own either Loopy or AUM?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@mrrain said:

How long are your tracks? Do you own either Loopy or AUM?

I have loopy.
    What I'm looking for is recording several audiosources (buses in Audiobus) in separate tracks. Loopy can't do this as far as I know.
    I understand that Aum can record, but in one stereo track. Is it correct?

• No, AUM will record each individual track if you set up AudioBus with a separate AUM track as the output of each AB3 lane.

• Not sure if lighter, but Cubasis is a proven solution for this.

• AUM with Audioshare is your best option here.

@lukesleepwalker has provided the instructions already.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

The OP wants something that has Ableton Link.

• @wim said:

Doesn’t have Link.

Damn. Otherwise, it's perfect!

• @mistercharlie said:

@wim said:

Doesn’t have Link.

Damn. Otherwise, it's perfect!

Yep.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

AUM in the output slots of AudioBus will do everything needed, I believe

• Wait! MTD syncs with AudioBus, so it also syncs with Link. Maybe that's enough for @mrrain ?

• Maybe it's time to open AUM door

• AUM is fantastic, but not if you want to play back your recordings.

• @mistercharlie said:
    AUM is fantastic, but not if you want to play back your recordings.

File player in AUM is the way to go

• @mrrain said:
    Maybe it's time to open AUM door

In no time you will be saying "how did I live without AUM and audioshare?" Both are essential to do what you describe.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@mistercharlie said:

it's fine, if you don't mind manually loading up every single recording and take v

• @mistercharlie said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@mistercharlie said:

it's fine, if you don't mind manually loading up every single recording and take v

Then you will have to use a DAW if that is too much hassle. If you are laying down one part at a time, you can use AB+AUM+Loopy but that setup limits you to one input track at a time.

• It's been some time , but I think it's mentioned before:
    BeatMaker 2

But it's an old app and don't even know if it's still on the AppStore and for how long it will be maintained .
    Maybe it still works on iOS 13

• Have you thought about using Blocs Wave for this?

• BM2 is solid but no AUv3. My old workflow used to be BM2 -> AUM. Gotta get used to recording things dry though. Similar workflow now but more modular with Xequence 2 + AUM and then Multitrack DAW at the end.

• @mjcouche said:
    BM2 is solid but no AUv3. My old workflow used to be BM2 -> AUM. Gotta get used to recording things dry though. Similar workflow now but more modular with Xequence 2 + AUM and then Multitrack DAW at the end.

You have me interested. Why MTD at the end? What is it that makes that better than just recording with AUM? Are you rendering out full tracks in it this way? Thanks - trying to learn here. B)

• @wim said:

@mjcouche said:
    BM2 is solid but no AUv3. My old workflow used to be BM2 -> AUM. Gotta get used to recording things dry though. Similar workflow now but more modular with Xequence 2 + AUM and then Multitrack DAW at the end.

You have me interested. Why MTD at the end? What is it that makes that better than just recording with AUM? Are you rendering out full tracks in it this way? Thanks - trying to learn here. B)

I think he is saving himself the hassle of finding and loading the audio files back into AUM after recording. It also has the benefit of being able to edit audio.

• @espiegel123 @wim I don’t mind using AUM file player at all - in fact I probably use it the most. I’m using MTDaw on a tip from @TheAudioDabbler in one of his videos. Yes - I am using it to edit the audio. You can also add 4 AUv3 and rearrange them on each track. One better than Auria. Further, it’s a universal workflow for iPhone and iPad. Two better than Auria. You can also drag and drop audio into it from the Files app while in slide over mode.

Also, on a tip from @AudioGus, I will likely use MTDaw in the mastering process between multiple finished tracks to establish a "unity" and level volume between tracks. This is all in theory of course. I've yet to get there.

Lastly, there are a number of forum members who regularly release and record material, and they are using MTDaw, the most prominent being @flo26 . The sound is great, and he releases so frequently that makes it clear he has a solid recording workflow and isn't distracted by all the bells and whistles, or shortcomings, of other apps/ plugins/ instruments etc.

• @mjcouche said:
    @espiegel123 @wim I don’t mind using AUM file player at all - in fact I probably use it the most. I’m using MTDaw on a tip from @TheAudioDabbler in one of his videos. Yes - I am using it to edit the audio. You can also add 4 AUv3 and rearrange them on each track. One better than Auria. Further, it’s a universal workflow for iPhone and iPad. Two better than Auria. You can also drag and drop audio into it from the Files app while in slide over mode.

Also, on a tip from @AudioGus, I will likely use MTDaw in the mastering process between multiple finished tracks to establish a "unity" and level volume between tracks. This is all in theory of course. I've yet to get there.

Lastly, there are a number of forum members who regularly release and record material, and they are using MTDaw, the most prominent being @flo26 . The sound is great, and he releases so frequently that makes it clear he has a solid recording workflow and isn't distracted by all the bells and whistles, or shortcomings, of other apps/ plugins/ instruments etc.

Many thanks for the insight. These things do make sense.

The only thing I wish mightily for is for MTD to get time-code sync ability. In other words, to play back in time from the song position sent from an app like Xequence 2. I think I'd have everything I need at that point.

• edited October 2019

@wim Yes - I think BM2 allows for this with its MIDI clock as expounded by @SevenSystems. But it is a tradeoff. AUv3 vs timing. What's more important? BM2 would be a BM3 killer if they updated to allow for AUv3 (let the flame wars begin).

• @mjcouche said:
    "BM2 would be a BM3 killer ...

Forum gold of the day right there. :D

• @mjcouche said:

Wow never heard of Multitrack DAW. Looks interesting.

• @mjcouche said:
    @wim Yes - I think BM2 allows for this with its MIDI clock as expounded by @SevenSystems. But it is a tradeoff. AUv3 vs timing. What's more important? BM2 would be a BM3 killer if they updated to allow for AUv3 (let the flame wars begin).

Nah , we lost long time ago . We got BM3 instead :(

I think the OP doesn’t care for AU , only recording. But I don’t understand the need of Link on a multitrack recorder.
    GarageBand for free should work (although I think there is a bug even on iOS pre 12.4 )

• @Korakios said:

@mjcouche said:

I think the OP doesn’t care for AU , only recording. But I don’t understand the need of Link on a multitrack recorder.

It’s nice to have start/stop without needing to mess with midi. Sync Quantum helps a ton too.

• @wim said:

@Korakios said:

@mjcouche said:

It’s nice to have start/stop without needing to mess with midi. Sync Quantum helps a ton too.

That make sense :)
    Maybe IAA sync would help if the DAW can be in rec mode waiting for “play” from Audiobus