Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

any auv3 sampler with decent timestretch !?

any auv3 sampler with decent timestretch !?
something like ApeSoft Matrix Sampler unit but timestretch instead or pitchshift maybe ?!

also a resynth like
https://sonicbloom.net/en/products/catstretch-by-max-for-cats/
would be amazing...
thanks!

Comments

• edited October 2019

Not that i know of, to my knowledge the only ios app with a ‘good’ timestretch algo is BM3 but not auv3.

• @TheDubbyLabby said:
    ReSlice.

Timestretch?

• edited October 2019

• edited October 2019

EG Pulse is AUv3 and it has time stretch.. And I am betting by the end of this month, it will rival BM3’s sampler, with the diligence of this developer..

• @RajahP said:
    EG Pulse is AUv3 and it has time stretch.. And I am betting by the end of this month, it will rival BM3’s sampler, with the diligence of this developer..

The timestretch algo in EG pulse is not in the same league has BM3 but it is a cool app.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@RajahP said:

Indeed the updates are fast and furious and the developer is responsive and diligent, but based on comments from the developer, I doubt that’s the direction he sees taking the app. It’s a drum machine, not a sampler. It will have basic, useful sample features helpful for a drum machine, not the amazingly depth of BM3’s sampler.

BM3’s sampler is far and away the most advanced on iOS. I just don’t see Pulse getting anywhere near that league as a sampler. It’s not the vision of the app.

(Disclaimer: I’m not a BM3 fanboy, or even much of a fan at this point.)

• @wim said:

@RajahP said:

Indeed the updates are fast and furious and the developer is responsive and diligent, but based on comments from the developer, I doubt that’s the direction he sees taking the app. It’s a drum machine, not a sampler. It will have basic, useful sample features helpful for a drum machine, not the amazingly depth of BM3’s sampler.

BM3’s sampler is far and away the most advanced on iOS. I just don’t see Pulse getting anywhere near that league as a sampler. It’s not the vision of the app.

(Disclaimer: I’m not a BM3 fanboy, or even much of a fan at this point.)

Yep, was messing with BM3’s sampler along with Serato Sample.. Word is, BM3’s update will include Key detection and transpose for the Sampler... I think, with these features, BM3 will have the edge over Serato Sample (even though Serato Sample is Desktop only)...
    I am hoping that EG Pulse will put a lot into the sampler side of things... The market demands an Auv3 quality sampler..

• edited October 2019

Bm3 uses the licensed timestretch algo from the same company that provides the algo for Ableton. The timestretch algo serato sample licenses sounds better IMO. Basically serato sample on ios would be ....... game changer! There... I said game changer for the first time.

• @gregsmith said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    ReSlice.

Timestretch?

Pitchshifting for sure, timestretch ala ReCycle not ala Acid.

Timestretching/warping BM3 (but I never get too deep in it) and Auria as you probably know but AUv3 is still young inside a young ecosystem... probably we are talking too niche app (AUv3 sampler with timestretch/pitchsift) sadly/badly :disappointed:

• edited October 2019

If you are only interested in standalone time stretching of wavs for soundscaping and FX rather than real time beats etc, then there is an excellent time stretch function in Hokusai’s effects list. I use it all the time to really ultra stretch wavs out into granular- style noise. Create the stretch in Hokusai, then re import it into Cubasis, AUM file player, Sampletoy, or whatever else you have that can handle wav import.

• AFAIK no AUv3 is using some licensed timestretching algorithm. BeatHawk can stretch apple loops but the quality is very low. Other then that, only standalone apps - BM3, Auria, Zenbeats, Gadget (only rex files) and some others I don’t own.

• Totally forgot about Egoist..

• edited June 2021

Bumping this thread as I was not so closely watching new iOS music app releases for some time. Still no AU sampler with decent timestretching? There's several solutions that can do "some" stretching, but nothing such as e.g. Beatmaker3 or Auria Pro. Not to mention capabilities of e.g. Ableton live in this manner (e.g. warp points or a "magic" automatic detection of loop length and BPM etc...)
    I get that timestretching usually requires licensing and maybe that's the dealbreaker for developers? But still there's several standalone apps with at least some decent timestretching, just not as AU. Seems like a huge gap on iOS music apps market since... ever :smiley:

• @skrat said:
    Bumping this thread as I was not so closely watching new iOS music app releases for some time. Still no AU sampler with decent timestretching? There's several solutions that can do "some" stretching, but nothing such as e.g. Beatmaker3 or Auria Pro. Not to mention capabilities of e.g. Ableton live in this manner (e.g. warp points or a "magic" automatic detection of loop length and BPM etc...)
    I get that timestretching usually requires licensing and maybe that's the dealbreaker for developers? But still there's several standalone apps with at least some decent timestretching, just not as AU. Seems like a huge gap on iOS music apps market since... ever :smiley:

Time stretching = Re-pitched sample playback plus pitch shifting.

A while ago, I've created a time stretching sampler prototype with Drambo's built-in pitch shifter which works great for some audio material but since I've added additional logic to split polyphonic sample playback into individual voices, you can also load any automatable AUv3 pitch shifter instead of the built-in module.

It's a polyphonically playable slicer with time stretching that could be modified to use a sampler as well..
    https://patchstorage.com/slicer-with-time-stretch/

• edited June 2021

@rs2000 said:

@skrat said:

Time stretching = Re-pitched sample playback plus pitch shifting.

A while ago, I've created a time stretching sampler prototype with Drambo's built-in pitch shifter which works great for some audio material but since I've added additional logic to split polyphonic sample playback into individual voices, you can also load any automatable AUv3 pitch shifter instead of the built-in module.

It's a polyphonically playable slicer with time stretching that could be modified to use a sampler as well..
    https://patchstorage.com/slicer-with-time-stretch/

Yeah, thanks I know that one and it's an impressive piece of work! :smile:
    But unfortunately, I am looking for what I refer to as a "decent" timestretching, which is not a simple "re-pitch + pitch shifting". I think Elastique is the first or at least best known algorithm that made timestretching sound much more natural, often indistinguishable from originally recorded material. Such algorithms are much more complex - they analyse the material, don't use same sized "granules" but rather a chunks they apply pitch shifting separately etc... In Ableton Live, you can even choose from several TS methods to use, some are better for percussions, some for whole drums, some for melodic stuff, some for whole songs etc...
    Unfortunately, most of the apps use this simple "re-pitch and apply pitch shifting" method, which is really noticeable. Not bad if you look for the classic "aggresive" kind of stretching as an effect, but for more subtle and natural use, it's degrading the sound.

I think this is even the main reason why Ableton Live became sort of standard for pro musicians for live - before AL, there was no decent tool to put in your stems as loops and be sure they still sound good on various BPM, without changing the pitch. There was already DJing equipment like CD players or some DJing software with "key lock" feature, but that was nowhere as comfortable as AL.
    Still I think there's a huge gap on the market for something like LP Matrix, just for audio loops, with proper timestretching. There are even apps like Lauchpad and RemixLive, but they're more a toys for novices than serious tools, and not even sure about the timestretching quality.

• @skrat Believe me, the underlying algorithms are exactly identical, only used in a different context. A good pitch shifter will get you good time stretching it's only a 2-step process.
    It also depends on the material, some algorithms work better for percussive material, others work better for tonal sounds and only very few can cover both with good quality at high stretch or pitch ratios.
    Even the 'Pro' algorithm in Ableton Live had fairly bad quality until the algorithm was changed some time ago. So bad that I can still hear songs with loops that had been stretched in Ableton Live a while ago, due to the quite unique sound of artifacts that the former "Pro" algo had generated

I do agree that BM3 is exceptional in this regard, considering it's a cheap iOS DAW.
    And its MIDI clock sync capability works better than in Ableton Live. Imagine.