Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Devs: iPhone 11 pro has a notch!

Dunno who else has upgraded, but lots of apps don’t take the notch into account so it covers up part of the app. Most apps are fine on iPhone X so I think they need to fit the same layout for iPhone pro.

Comments

• @gregsmith Can you make some examples so I can check with mine?

• edited October 2019

I just tried a screenshot but the notch isn’t included in the shot so it’s hard to show! A very easy example is load up AB, insert Zeeon in as an au then view it. The notch covers up some of Zeeon.

I don’t think this happened on iPhone X.

Zenbeats is another example - stagelight was fine on iPhone X, zenbeats is partly obstructed.

• @gregsmith I have the same ui problem on my iPhone X with Zeeon.

• edited October 2019

That's a very complex problem.

Most apps probably take the notch (and other screen "intrusions") into account when they're running standalone.

However, when running as an AU, all apps will probably (rightly) assume that they're running in a rectangular window without any obstructions, so any mechanism that deals with notches etc. won't be triggered.

Audiobus is a special case because it always shows AUs full-screen, so in this case, one could argue that it would be Audiobus' responsibility to insure that the AU "window" isn't covered by anything.

Alternatively, AUs would need to detect that they're "being hosted fullscreen" and then trigger their anti-notch systems as if they were running standalone.

As I said, a very difficult problem.

Maybe it would just be better if screens were rectangular again, like between 1890 and 2016 😉

EDIT: There'll of course also be cases where app's anti-notch detection has been compromised completely by changes in iOS 13, or where it never worked in the first place for iPhone 11. Those are two entirely separate problems.

Maybe screens should just errrrr sorry, I just said that already 😁

• @SevenSystems said:

Most apps probably take the notch (and other screen "intrusions") into account when they're running standalone.

However, when running as an AU, all apps will probably (rightly) assume that they're running in a rectangular window without any obstructions, so any mechanism that deals with notches etc. won't be triggered.

Audiobus is a special case because it always shows AUs full-screen, so in this case, one could argue that it would be Audiobus' responsibility to insure that the AU "window" isn't covered by anything.

Alternatively, AUs would need to detect that they're "being hosted fullscreen" and then trigger their anti-notch systems as if they were running standalone.

Maybe it would just be better if screens were rectangular again, like between 1890 and 2016 😉

EDIT: There'll of course also be cases where app's anti-notch detection has been compromised completely by changes in iOS 13, or where it never worked in the first place for iPhone 11. Those are two entirely separate problems.

This particular case doesn’t really bother me to be honest. It was just an example.

EG pulse in stand-alone is almost unusable because of the notch. Same with Zenbeats.

Xequence 2 responds beautifully to the notch so no worries there ;)

• @gregsmith said:

@SevenSystems said:

Xequence 2 responds beautifully to the notch so no worries there ;)

Hehe, only since the last emergency update though 😉 (Xequence uses an iOS "information mechanism" to query the "safe area" in order to decide how to juggle around the user interface... unfortunately Apple likes to change how those mechanisms work in every iOS update, so devs have to constantly watch this stuff like a madman)

• tjatja
    edited October 2019

@SevenSystems said:

So unbelievable true!!!!
    Why not simply make the display that bit smaller to not have such a disturbance?

To be honest, I don't even understand that idea with the rounded corners on some displays.

Both of those things are not hip or cool, they are simply a pain in the ass.

Let displays stay rectangular!!!

• The more things change, the more they stay the same.

FUCT

• @tja It would've been perfectly fine for Apple to just PERMANENTLY reserve the ENTIRE top of the device (the height of the notch) to the system's status bar -- win/win for everyone. The screen space available up there on both sides of the notch would've been perfectly used, the statusbar would be permanently visible, and no frustrating disruptions to developers everywhere... the only disadvantage would've been maybe a reduction of available screen real estate of 10%.

But maybe I'm too conservative! 😉

• @SevenSystems said:
    @tja It would've been perfectly fine for Apple to just PERMANENTLY reserve the ENTIRE top of the device (the height of the notch) to the system's status bar -- win/win for everyone. The screen space available up there on both sides of the notch would've been perfectly used, the statusbar would be permanently visible, and no frustrating disruptions to developers everywhere... the only disadvantage would've been maybe a reduction of available screen real estate of 10%.

But maybe I'm too conservative! 😉

I totally agree with this

• @gregsmith how are you liking the 11 Pro (cameras aside) Has the power given u better productivity? Any notable differences over the X?

• edited October 2019

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @gregsmith how are you liking the 11 Pro (cameras aside) Has the power given u better productivity? Any notable differences over the X?

The camera’s pretty cool. Not much difference otherwise really although it’s noticeably more powerful. I’m working on my first ‘dawless’ track at the moment with quite a few au instruments and effects going on. Things had got a bit crackly and overwhelmed on iPhone X so I was using my iPad to finish it, but iPhone 11 pro can play it without a hitch.

• @gregsmith said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @gregsmith how are you liking the 11 Pro (cameras aside) Has the power given u better productivity? Any notable differences over the X?

The camera’s pretty cool. Not much difference otherwise really although it’s noticeably more powerful. I’m working on my first ‘dawless’ track at the moment with quite a few au instruments and effects going on. Things had got a bit crackly and overwhelmed on iPhone X so I was using my iPad to finish it, but iPhone 11 can play it without a hitch.

Nice.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @tja It would've been perfectly fine for Apple to just PERMANENTLY reserve the ENTIRE top of the device (the height of the notch) to the system's status bar -- win/win for everyone. The screen space available up there on both sides of the notch would've been perfectly used, the statusbar would be permanently visible, and no frustrating disruptions to developers everywhere... the only disadvantage would've been maybe a reduction of available screen real estate of 10%.

That would have been perfect.

• I'm noticing the notch problem on a lot of apps that were fine on the x too, not just music ones.

One of the nicest things about the Pro over the X for me is the better battery life. It doesn't get as warm in heavy music sessions either.