Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Yet another iPad "Pro" 2018 audio problem -- high pitched whine

Whenever I play audio from my iPad Pro into my USB audio interface, I get a terrible hum+high pitched whine. It happens with various cables and adapters. It is worse when the audio is playing, and the level of noise drops a few seconds after audio stops.

My iPhone, plugged into the same setup, is perfect.

This iPad is virtually useless for audio purposes.

Comments

• edited October 2019

During the last years, the little „Pro“ suffix has rather developed into a warning than indicating anything positive, not only for the iPad :D

• @mistercharlie said:
    Whenever I play audio from my iPad Pro into my USB audio interface, I get a terrible hum+high pitched whine. It happens with various cables and adapters. It is worse when the audio is playing, and the level of noise drops a few seconds after audio stops.

My iPhone, plugged into the same setup, is perfect.

This iPad is virtually useless for audio purposes.

What audio interface and apps are you using?
    Are you using an external mic?
    How about iOS version?
    The worst thing for me has been consistently getting a stereo signal when trying to record vocals.
    The exact same setup from a previous session will output on side until I do a bunch of monkey humping around and then it seems to automagically be stereo having no idea what I did.
    How damn frustrating for you.
    If there is any way I can try to recreate your scenario to help I’ll do it.

• @mistercharlie have you tried it in Airplane mode? With the growing number of wireless all around us, it can create interference. Think about all these cables, hooked up to power, is really a giant antenna.

• Piggybacking on what @TheAudioDabbler said.
    Turn the iPad off before a session.
    With everything else on (audio interface, mixer etc.) and all volumes off plug your iPad into the interface and it will power up.
    First put it into airplane mode then start opening apps.
    It’s what I do and seems to work.

• It's a soundcraft notebook 12, and I'm listening on headphones. I unplugged everything else, and tried various hubs etc, as well as a direct USB-B to USB-C cable.

Running iOS 13.2 beta 1, but I had the same trouble with previous versions.

No problem with a different mixer/audio interface.

If I turn the headphones all the way down, and let the iPad USB signal come in really hot, then the whine lessens. But it's still there, and not there with the iPhone.

These days, whenever I wake up my iPad for making music, I end up troubleshooting something or other, to he point that I just give up in frustration. When it works, it's fantastic, but it never works.

• edited October 2019

@TheAudioDabbler said:
    @mistercharlie have you tried it in Airplane mode? With the growing number of wireless all around us, it can create interference. Think about all these cables, hooked up to power, is really a giant antenna.

Good idea. I' ll try that next time. But the fact that the whine only starts when audio plays, and soon after, makes me think it's something else.

@Ben said:
    Piggybacking on what @TheAudioDabbler said.
    Turn the iPad off before a session.
    With everything else on (audio interface, mixer etc.) and all volumes off plug your iPad into the interface and it will power up.
    First put it into airplane mode then start opening apps.
    It’s what I do and seems to work.

It seems nuts that we have to baby it so much, just to make it work.

• From my experience with guitar amps, a high pitched whine is often from a cable that is not shielded well, two cables inside the equipment that are too close together. Maybe it's something inside the ipad that suffers from what i described above.

• @mistercharlie

Does the sound change if you touch the case of the iPad?

As you don't get the noise with a different mixer/interface
    where do you get the electricity from?
    Is it a two pin plug or three pin plug for the soundcraft mixer?

• edited October 2019

Try using the same usb cable supplied with the interface . Usually the have ferrite and tuned to absorb specific frequencies.

If the audio interface has its own power cut the black cable from the usb cable .
    If problem persists cut also the ground from the usb cable , but it’s a bit more complicated depending on the connections . (The interface might not be recognized)

All above are successfully tested :)

• Fwiw I’ve had this issue with my old audio interface and a couple of apps in the past year or so. Its something going on with bad sample rate conversion with the interface or app itself in my case.

• @Gravitas said:

I'll try all of those.

@Korakios

Nice idea. I have power-only usb cables, but not data only. I'll try that. But the same cable works fine with an iPhone.

@jenkweb

I was thinking that it might be something to do with the iPad Pro's locked sample rate.

• @mistercharlie
    I was thinking that it might be something to do with the iPad Pro's locked sample rate.

I’m using multiple interfaces (Scarlet gen 3 & Lewitt DGT 650) at various times of the day with my 2018 iPad Pro, and other than occasionally needing to power cycle the iPad to get it to ‘see’ the interface, everything is flawless at all sample rates.