Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Copy & Paste with formatting -- does anyone actually want it?

You've probably been there: you want to copy and paste any arbitrary piece of text between two applications, and end up with a complete chaos of messed up font sizes, styles, and colors in the target document because copy & paste by default includes formatting, and it is often complicated (or, for example in the case of iOS, impossible) to avoid it.

You will probably have an app that doesn't support formatting to "paste through" to get rid of it (like notepad on Windows).

Is this a classic case of "Developer has no idea what users want"? I mean, at least for me, in 99% of cases I do NOT want formatting to be copied, so this should be the default, or at least configurable on every OS.

What do you think?

Should Copy & Paste by default include formatting?
  1. Should Copy & Paste by default include formatting?18 votes
    1. Yes
      22.22%
    2. No
      77.78%

Comments

• Borrowing from Windows habits I recently used the Notes app for this purpose and it removed some of the formatting. Can’t there be some kind of 6 finger gesture to paste as text haha??

• Yes sir.
    This feature is absolutely and totally annoying!

• @marmakin said:
    Borrowing from Windows habits I recently used the Notes app for this purpose and it removed some of the formatting. Can’t there be some kind of 6 finger gesture to paste as text haha??

😉 I use the Notes app for writing emails (as the stock Mail app now has forced spell checking too, and the Notes app doesn't), but unfortunately for me it always adds formatting. The last few emails I sent were light grey text on white, apparently because I was in Dark Mode while writing 😂😂😂

• edited October 2019

Does this mean I won’t get super light-grey text in my next email reply? :)

Ha. Just seen you mention this now. 😂😂

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Does this mean I won’t get super light-grey text in my next email reply? :)

😭 see, I'm not making this up! Thanks for being my witness in my endless and relentless quest to improve the world! 😉

• edited October 2019

Interesting statistic here though: when googling the issue, it seems like the majority of users actually have the OPPOSITE problem and actually desperately look for a way to INCLUDE formatting in Copy & Paste. So we (or I) are probably again a strange fringe group around here 😧

• Within the same document? 100% yes!

• @brambos said:
    Within the same document? 100% yes!

OK, that's an interesting criterion. So, the new "Settings" entry will hopefully be @Apple 😉

COPY & PASTE PRESERVES FORMATTING:

• within the same document ✔️
    • never
    • always
  • I'm a bit torn here...

Usually I prefer to 'paste unformatted/plaintext' because when pasting stuff between two different documents based on different templates it will likely become a mess but if both documents use the same template/formatting preserve formatting is a good idea.

A fourth criteria would be 'adapt to destination format' meaning if I paste formatted text into a plain text document all formatting info should be stripped, and the other way around if the plain text is 'semi formatted' (tabs, dash-lists etc.) they could be formatted based on the template used on the destination document.

• @Samu said:
    I'm a bit torn here...

Usually I prefer to 'paste unformatted/plaintext' because when pasting stuff between two different documents based on different templates it will likely become a mess but if both documents use the same template/formatting preserve formatting is a good idea.

A fourth criteria would be 'adapt to destination format' meaning if I paste formatted text into a plain text document all formatting info should be stripped, and the other way around if the plain text is 'semi formatted' (tabs, dash-lists etc.) they could be formatted based on the template used on the destination document.

Yes, adapt to destination is perfect.

• Yes, there may be reasons for all 4 variants.

In Windows, as so often, this is solved perfect:

You can paste with or without formating, or any other criterium and your last choice will be the default for the next.

• @brambos said:
    Within the same document? 100% yes!

+1

• @SevenSystems said:

@marmakin said:
    Borrowing from Windows habits I recently used the Notes app for this purpose and it removed some of the formatting. Can’t there be some kind of 6 finger gesture to paste as text haha??

😉 I use the Notes app for writing emails (as the stock Mail app now has forced spell checking too, and the Notes app doesn't), but unfortunately for me it always adds formatting. The last few emails I sent were light grey text on white, apparently because I was in Dark Mode while writing 😂😂😂

Haha I saw your thread about the spell check. Running the text through Notes did remove the white background in my case but did leave grey text for me too (also in dark mode). So grey text on black (possibly even less readable haha).

I’m surprised that dark mode has this effect on text colors and backgrounds. I would have thought it just displayed the same thing differently. But that’s why you are the developers and I just bring my wallet 😂

• @marmakin said:
    I’m surprised that dark mode has this effect on text colors and backgrounds. I would have thought it just displayed the same thing differently. But that’s why you are the developers and I just bring my wallet 😂

Yes, that would of course be logical, i.e. make colors purely "symbolic" and decide later which actual color to use for display. But maybe such concepts are already too "advanced" for today's operating system developers 🤦‍♀️

• I almost always highlight then go to share then copy from the share sheet so formatting is stripped. Answer would be no

• Maybe this thread needs to be brought to Apple's attention as a democratic vote? 😄

• For me, the only useful answer is a paste dialog box with 1) paste with formatting, and 2) paste as plain text.