Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iRig Duo2 into Audiobus - no joy

I found the way to select the Duo2 on the Audiobus input. I've got blue lights on the Duo that turn green-yellow-red when I send it signal. I have no sound on the output of my iPad.

If I select Animoog as the input to Audiobus, I have sound on the output, so that part of the signal chain is OK.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Comments

• @ggunn said:
    I found the way to select the Duo2 on the Audiobus input. I've got blue lights on the Duo that turn green-yellow-red when I send it signal. I have no sound on the output of my iPad.

If I select Animoog as the input to Audiobus, I have sound on the output, so that part of the signal chain is OK.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Do you mean no output from the Duo when you send it signal from the iPad? Or do you mean the iPad speaker/headphone have no signal (which is expected).

• The latter. Is no output from the iPad speaker/headphone expected when the Duo2 is the input? Why would that be? I get output from the iPad when Animoog is the source.

I thought that the audio output from the Duo2 was only for input monitoring.

• @ggunn said:
    The latter. Is no output from the iPad speaker/headphone expected when the Duo2 is the input? Why would that be? I get output from the iPad when Animoog is the source.

I thought that the audio output from the Duo2 was only for input monitoring.

When you plug an audio interface into an iOS device that handles input and ouput, iOS sends the audio output to the audio interface. So, you should plug in your headphones to the iRig Duo or plug the Duo's output into some speakers.

• Thanks, I will try that tonight.

• Well, still no joy. I have signal level response LEDs working on the Duo2 but no signal out from the headphone jack on the iPad, the headphone jack on the Duo2, or the 1/4" outputs on the Duo2. I have tried all the Duo settings on the input as well as on the output and none of them makes any difference.

When i ran the Duo2 through Amplitube it worked, but it was mono; I very much want to work in stereo, hence the Duo2. So far it has been a bit frustrating.

• Added: When I turn the direct monitoring switch on, there is output from the 1/4" outputs on the Duo2, but it's just the input signal, not the output from Audiobus.

• @ggunn said:
    Well, still no joy. I have signal level response LEDs working on the Duo2 but no signal out from the headphone jack on the iPad, the headphone jack on the Duo2, or the 1/4" outputs on the Duo2. I have tried all the Duo settings on the input as well as on the output and none of them makes any difference.

When i ran the Duo2 through Amplitube it worked, but it was mono; I very much want to work in stereo, hence the Duo2. So far it has been a bit frustrating.

When your Duo is plugged in, it is not expected for your iPad’s headphone jack to work..,that is true with all audio interfaces. Perhaps you should contact iK Multimedia via their support page. They should be able to walk you through the setup.

• Never mind. I did a deinstall-reinstall of Audiobus and now it's working. I have output from the headphone jack on the iPad.

Cue the Twilight Zone theme....

• @espiegel123 said:

When your Duo is plugged in, it is not expected for your iPad’s headphone jack to work..,that is true with all audio interfaces. Perhaps you should contact iK Multimedia via their support page. They should be able to walk you through the setup.

Not so. Once I reinstalled Audiobus, I got audio output from my iPad's headphone jack.

• @ggunn said:

@espiegel123 said:

Not so. Once I reinstalled Audiobus, I got audio output from my iPad's headphone jack.

It may be that if you plug in headphones (with no mic?) after plugging in the iRig that iOS will let you use the headphones and still use the input from the iRid. Is that the case here?

I am curious. Are you still not getting output from the iRig Duo though when you send audio to it -- if you don't plug headphones into your iPad?

• I haven't tried all the alternatives. Here's my setup:

Guitar > pedalboard with stereo output > Duo2 > iPad [Audiobus input > Blackhole reverb > headphone output] > iPad headphone jack > Stereo DI > Mixing board.

I was so happy when it started working through the iPad jack that I didn't investigate further.

One thing that changed is before the de-re I had the Duo2 as the only available output for Audiobus but now it's different. Now headphones is the only available output, which is cool because that's what I wanted, anyway.

• BTW, is there a splitter of some kind that I can get so that I can connect my iPad to the Duo2 and a charger at the same time? I've seen a couple on line but they seem to limit the functionality of the lightning interface.

• @ggunn said:
    BTW, is there a splitter of some kind that I can get so that I can connect my iPad to the Duo2 and a charger at the same time? I've seen a couple on line but they seem to limit the functionality of the lightning interface.

I think you will find that the audio quality from the duo will far exceed that of the iPad headphone jack if the duo is anything like the iRig HD2. So you might want to see if you can get that working. Use the USB cable plus Apple CCK with charging port from the iRig instead of the Lightning cable in order to charge during use.

The audio from the pro duo's headphone jack will probably sound better than the built-in as well.

Is this the pro duo 2?

• OK, I will try that, but it doesn't solve the issue of the iPad only being able to connect to the Duo2 or a charger, not both.

The Sweetwater description from my order receipt: IK Multimedia iRig PRO DUO 2-channel Audio/MIDI Interface for iOS, Android, and Mac/PC

• @ggunn said:
    OK, I will try that, but it doesn't solve the issue of the iPad only being able to connect to the Duo2 or a charger, not both.

The Sweetwater description from my order receipt: IK Multimedia iRig PRO DUO 2-channel Audio/MIDI Interface for iOS, Android, and Mac/PC

If you have an iPad with a lightning port, plug the Apple cck that has a charging port into your iPad. Plug a lightning charging cable into the cck. Use the iRig duo's USB cable to connect it to the cck. Your iPad will now be charging and connected to the duo.

• I think I just figured that out a few minutes ago. I don't know what a cck is but I have an adapter that has Lightning and USB ports and a Lightning cable connector. I use it to connect my Arturia keyboard along with a charger to my iPad.

I figured that my Duo to USB cable might work with it. Is that what you mean?

• Cck stands for camera connection kit. It is the Apple dongle that lets you attach a usb cable from a camera or audio interface or usb midi device to an iDevice that has a lightning port.

The duo comes with a cable that has usb on one end. Use that cable and plug it into the USB adapter.

Here is a link to the camera adapter.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-itbdVeHS03V/p_472LTUSBC3/Apple-Lightning-to-USB-3-Camera-Adapter.html

I guess old timers (like me) use cck as shorthand even though apple changed the name to camera adapter a few years ago.

• That's what I have but I never heard it called a cck. I doubt you are more of an old timer than me, though. :D

• Thanks for your help, espiegel123.

I have confirmed that the cck works with the Duo USB cable; my iPad is sensing both the charger and the Duo. I have also confirmed that the output of Audiobus is sent back to the Duo and is accessible via the Duo headphone jack and 1/4" outputs.

It may have been operator error from the start, but I don't see that I am doing anything different from what I was doing before the Audiobus de-re. No matter; it works now. Man, that Eventide Blackhole reverb is juicy!

Thanks again!

• @ggunn said:
    Thanks for your help, espiegel123.

I have confirmed that the cck works with the Duo USB cable; my iPad is sensing both the charger and the Duo. I have also confirmed that the output of Audiobus is sent back to the Duo and is accessible via the Duo headphone jack and 1/4" outputs.

It may have been operator error from the start, but I don't see that I am doing anything different from what I was doing before the Audiobus de-re. No matter; it works now. Man, that Eventide Blackhole reverb is juicy!

Thanks again!

Glad that you've got it working.

• @ggunn said:
    Thanks for your help, espiegel123.

Thanks again!

Btw, you should probably edit the thread name to add SOLVED