Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ableton vs Bitwig

Comments

• @rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

@tahiche said:
    Some interesting stuff here.

@soundtemple Leading the race in my "new setup review" is my iPad Pro 2018 with Touchable Pro and AUM running midi generating devices (including LK midi mode) for melody, rhythm and chords and sending it to Ableton Live via IDAM on a M1 Macbook Air (not yet purchased).

I don’t get it… if you’re already using a desktop/laptop with Ableton, what’s the advantage of sequencing on the iPad?.
    I could see the iPad as sort of a Maschine where you don’t have to even look at the laptop. But it doesn’t seem the case with any of these setups. You still need to operate on the laptop to add plugins, map parameters, etc…

This I can relate to…

@rs2000 Back to Ableton: Has anyone here tried to use it on a Windows tablet?

Maybe it's possible to configure a number of gestures and use a sensible zoom level so it's actually workable?
    For me it’s having a touch surface and/or knobs… completely bypassing the mouse. I’ve also read bad reviews about the Surface touch interface, otherwise it seems like the best of both worlds.

touchAble is certainly very interesting, but if I have to add plugins or instruments using the laptop that makes touchAble interesting only for performance…

Seems you can add plugins and inst. from the Browser…

@Littlewoodg said:

@rs2000 said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @rs2000 i have tried Ableton on the SP3. Setting up scaling and macros to make touch work there was just too much and Touchable Pro did it better. Ableton just isn’t set up or configurable for touch. They didn’t build it in like Bitwig did. Again Touchable Pro with Ableton is really great. Btw @tahiche Touchable Pro does allow you to select plugs and map params…

But to me it was weird to use a second touch device (iPad) to run Ableton on a touch device (SP3). Bitwig use, w/touch is a one/stop, and it was designed for that use case. The touch interface on SP3 is slick and responsive, smoother in some ways than iPad.

That's exactly what I've thought. If I can't make a Windows tablet work well with touch natively then there's no point using it - except with a pen maybe...

Yep. Bitwig using touch is very nice even on the older SP. You can do everything on the tablet without recourse to pen, mouse, or QWERTY. The onscreen keyboard is configurable for MPE support

And Ableton is fine on SP, but not for touch. I guess using pencil (the Bluetooth stylus) on the SP might be an advantage over a regular desktop. But trackpad or mouse is probably faster for most people. My son who is an Ableton user always refers to my SP as “that weird thing you have”. He uses an MBP of course, and doesn’t understand the point of touch support for Ableton.

Update: I have received my "new" second hand Win10 tablet now and did a first test with Ableton Suite.
    My first try failed, touch response was really weird and knobs and faders were basically impossible to use.

But after enabling Windows Tablet Mode and increasing the Ableton UI zoom factor to 120%, I was blown away by how well this worked! Well enough that I would say, from my first impression, that Ableton on a tablet is a reality today.
    Add to that the price of this 12" Windows tablet which is lower than the cheapest iPad you can get and all the unlimited connectivity we've come to appreciate in desktops and laptops, I wonder if and when I'm going to buy another iPad.

To be continued 😉

Verrrrry interesting!

• I recommend trying the Windows version of Touchable pro if you have a touch screen windows setup, you can use it on the same PC as Live, much better than using the Live interface, i just don't think Live works with it's ui as touch.

Haven't used Touchable pro for a while since my main touch screen monitor got broken in transit and now I have a Push 2.

• Time to dust this old thing off again I guess :)

@Carnbot said:
    I recommend trying the Windows version of Touchable pro if you have a touch screen windows setup, you can use it on the same PC as Live, much better than using the Live interface, i just don't think Live works with it's ui as touch.

Haven't used Touchable pro for a while since my main touch screen monitor got broken in transit and now I have a Push 2.

FWIW, Live works fine with a TouchScreen based PC. It's not ideal, but you can get by with your finger for a lot of things. A stylus definitely helps for some of the smaller controls and scrolling through menus. Not all VSTs are touch enabled though, so you will need a Mouse or Stylus to do a lot of things...this is the case for BitWig as well.

• @rs2000 Any chance of a video demo of Ableton on Windows tablet?

• @echoopera said:
    Time to dust this old thing off again I guess :)

@Carnbot said:
    I recommend trying the Windows version of Touchable pro if you have a touch screen windows setup, you can use it on the same PC as Live, much better than using the Live interface, i just don't think Live works with it's ui as touch.

FWIW, Live works fine with a TouchScreen based PC. It's not ideal, but you can get by with your finger for a lot of things. A stylus definitely helps for some of the smaller controls and scrolling through menus. Not all VSTs are touch enabled though, so you will need a Mouse or Stylus to do a lot of things...this is the case for BitWig as well.

Bitwig provides touch interface capability for vst that aren’t touch enabled…

• @Littlewoodg said:

@echoopera said:

@Carnbot said:

It does? Is that a setting somewhere because AudioModern ChordJam VST doesn’t accept touch as an input in BitWig for some reason.

• @soundtemple said:
    @rs2000 Any chance of a video demo of Ableton on Windows tablet?

I thought about that, yes.
    Let me get a bit more familiar with it and experience some more editing and using different VST(i)s before I do that.

• edited July 2021

@echoopera said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@echoopera said:

@Carnbot said:

It does? Is that a setting somewhere because AudioModern ChordJam VST doesn’t accept touch as an input in BitWig for some reason.

The box in the GUI that comes with each plugin has a pull down for all the plugins params, with a dial for each. The dial can then be assigned to any of Bitwig kajillion modulators, or just twiddled by hand, with twiddles recorded…

• @Littlewoodg said:

@echoopera said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@echoopera said:

@Carnbot said:

The box in the GUI that comes with each plugin has a pull down for all the plugins params, with a dial for each. The dial can then be assigned to any of Bitwig kajillion modulators, or just twiddled by hand, with twiddles recorded…

Ahhhh yeah that part. I thought you meant it would allow touch to work from the VST UI.

• @rs2000 said:

@soundtemple said:

Let me get a bit more familiar with it and experience some more editing and using different VST(i)s before I do that.

+1 on a demo!.
    @rs2000 what model of windows tablet did you get?. Is it a surface?

• If money is no object I wonder what the best spec Windows tablet there is at present to give a descent performance for music making with Bitwig and Ableton and have touch capabilities?

• @tahiche said:

@rs2000 said:

@soundtemple said:

+1 on a demo!.

It's a 2nd gen Lenovo X1 touch. Intel 7Y57, 8GB RAM, 500G SSD. Backlit detachable keyboard and stylus included.

• edited July 2021

Being interesting in a novelty way if Bitwig being Linux capable would run on the newly announced Steam Deck as touch !
    https://www.pcgamer.com/the-internet-reacts-to-the-steam-deck/

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

• @Jumpercollins said:
    If money is no object I wonder what the best spec Windows tablet there is at present to give a descent performance for music making with Bitwig and Ableton and have touch capabilities?

The Surface Pro 7 Plus is available with an Intel i7-1165G7 which is almost twice as fast as the CPU in mine, and it comes in configurations up to 1TB SSD and 32GB RAM.
    That was no option for me, costing 10 times as much compared to mine :D
    And while the 7Y57 is specced at 4.5W tdp, the 1165G7 tops at 15W.
    I wanted battery lifetime somewhat comparable to an iPad.

• edited July 2021

Guys, it may sound temptative to use a windows tablet with Ableton but I would definitely not buy a new Surface Pro now - second hand might be a different story. Anyway I don’t believe that cheaper and weaker Windows devices have enough horsepower to support the workflow that you are hoping for. But most important is that IMHO there are too many things on the move to invest serious money into an x86 device now. As you wrote the battery life is not competetive anyway.

The whole IT hardware industry is on the brink of a deep shift towards RISC (mostly ARM) based devices. Apple's move to Apple Silicon shocked the industry deeply. The M1 set the pace of hardware evolution to a new level as upcoming Macs with M1X will most probably contain 4 M1 dies that equals to 40 cores!! One chip design but a lot of options from phones to high performance workstations - absolutely genius. That will save Apple a LOT of money. Apple has invested a lot into patents for 3D stacking chip technology and partnered up with TSMC to develop a 3nm-Plus chip for 2023 with Apple being the first customer signed on to use it. Moreover Apple booked more than the half of TSMC's 5nm production capacity next year. That is something that the other players are most probably not able to compete with and the head start that Apple has got now might lead to a dominance for the next years. For the first time ever a brand new Intel factory (the 7nm in Arizona) is not dedicated to x86 chips, but used as a foundry that produces ARM chips to a large degree. Intel is rumored to buy SFive for 2 billion USD which is creating RISC-V chip designs. Microsoft announced a lot of activity around Windows on ARM, announced Office 365 for ARM, announced an x86 interpreter layer similar to Apple's Rosetta 2. NVidia and Qualcomm announced desktop grade ARM processors. That all means it's soon game over for x86. This year will be extremely interesting.

• Update 2: I like how the touch gestures don't conflict with OS-related gestures so far. On iOS, you can either have multitouch gestures enabled and can't play more than 2 notes on a virtual keyboard or play polyphonically but have no multitouch gestures.
    Under Windows you can have both: Sliding in from different screen edges shows all apps, the start menu, title bar etc. and still play on the keyboard with 10 fingers (if you can 😄)

• I had the surface pro 6 and the CPU would hit 70% with few plugins being used such as Diva, massive, effects etc. Also felt really fiddly with ableton. Ipad with touchable pro and macbook was a far slicker and more usable option.

Bitwig definitely lot better for tablet

• @krassmann The new ARM architecture is definitely very interesting and my next tablet might indeed be an M1/X or the like.
    For now, I have to say that I find Live on a 12" touch screen with 120% zoom level in full screen tablet mode very usable, I didn't expect that at all.

• @rs2000 said:
    @krassmann The new ARM architecture is definitely very interesting and my next tablet might indeed be an M1/X or the like.
    For now, I have to say that I find Live on a 12" touch screen with 120% zoom level in full screen tablet mode very usable, I didn't expect that at all.

But how far you can get with this machine? How many tracks with an average setup like medium synth, channel strip, reverb? Looking at benchmarks the Intel chip is much much weaker than an M1.

• @krassmann said:

@rs2000 said:
    @krassmann The new ARM architecture is definitely very interesting and my next tablet might indeed be an M1/X or the like.

But how far you can get with this machine? How many tracks with an average setup like medium synth, channel strip, reverb? Looking at benchmarks the Intel chip is much much weaker than an M1.

Sure, no question.
    I'm already accepting to freeze virtual instrument tracks to audio clips which will also dramatically reduce battery consumption.

• @rs2000 said:

@tahiche said:

@rs2000 said:

@soundtemple said:

+1 on a demo!.

It's a 2nd gen Lenovo X1 touch. Intel 7Y57, 8GB RAM, 500G SSD. Backlit detachable keyboard and stylus included.

Similar to this one?.

How do these compare to the Surface tablets?. Is the “touch” optimization dependent on brand/model or are all windows tablets about the same in that regard?.

• @tahiche said:

@rs2000 said:

@tahiche said:

@rs2000 said:

@soundtemple said:

+1 on a demo!.

Similar to this one?.

How do these compare to the Surface tablets?. Is the “touch” optimization dependent on brand/model or are all windows tablets about the same in that regard?.

Oh, that's quite expensive. You should be able to find one for around €300.
    As far as I know, touch support is independent from the tablet model. In the end, it all depends on the DAW and plugins you're going to use.
    Currently I'm testing with Live's on-board devices and Arturia Analog Lab.

Audio file and MIDI piano roll editing works great so far.

• But how far you can get with this machine? How many tracks with an average setup like medium synth, channel strip, reverb? Looking at benchmarks the Intel chip is much much weaker than an M1.

Could this be like scientology? Lol
    Once you've bought an apple product don't ever expect to be able to leave the fold!

• @tahiche said:

@rs2000 said:

@tahiche said:

@rs2000 said:

@soundtemple said:

+1 on a demo!.

Similar to this one?.

I've tried a load in my local pc shop last week and they all seem the same. Nothing noticeable between Samsung, lenovo, surface. If you're using a stylus for drawing then maybe you would need to investigate more.

• edited July 2021

fwiw, I'm running Bitwig 4 on my super ancient Sony Vaio Canvas Z (quadCore i7/gen4 intel)
    and it runs the 477MB Demo File, Tauri - In The Dark, just fine without any hiccup.

The Project consists of 10+ lanes of Midi and Audio and Effects galore:

• edited July 2021

Here's a little jam i wanted to share using BitWig 4.01 on the ancient Vaio which runs like a champ! :)
    File uses all native instruments and effects, so it should just open right up for you @rs2000 and anyone else who wants to give it a spin. ;)

• edited July 2021

@echoopera said:
    Here's a little jam i wanted to share using BitWig 4.01 on the ancient Vaio which runs like a champ! :)
    File uses all native instruments and effects, so it should just open right up for you @rs2000 and anyone else who wants to give it a spin. ;)

Thanks Mr! Can’t wait to check it out.

What’s interesting me right now: Bitwig now loads Ableton projects, and in spite of the quantum superiority of laptop DAWs over iOS, I’m always looking to keep the iPad in play

So apps on iPad that export work as Ableton projects (Gadget, TriqTraq, iKaossilator, etc etc) can now feed Bitwig…

• I've just spent the morning setting up my iPad to control Bitwig using Driven by Moss and Open Stage Control.
    With the supplied template you have full mixer and device control from your iPad. Not the most attractive UI bit it works well and everything is dynamically labeled so you know exactly what you are controlling

• edited July 2021

@soundtemple said:
    I've just spent the morning setting up my iPad to control Bitwig using Driven by Moss and Open Stage Control.
    With the supplied template you have full mixer and device control from your iPad. Not the most attractive UI bit it works well and everything is dynamically labeled so you know exactly what you are controlling

Oooh nifty neat. Wonder if you could build an OSC Template to serve as the UI on the iPad.

@Littlewoodg yeah i totally hear you. I’ll never give up the iPad now.

This little Vaio fits in nicely on the shelf:

• @echoopera the client just serves the UI to an IP address, so you just browse to that address on any device on the same network and your good to go.