Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Group The Loop 2.0 released - Now Universal 😎

124»

Comments

• @Tones4Christ said:
    For some reason Groovebox wont load on my iphone in this AB3 preset.

@echoopera said:
    Here’s my AB/AUM setup file with Group The Loop for anyone who might want to use it. Works great when you use an external midi keyboard/controller to play your notes.

http://preset.audiob.us/i8zqfhrkaNGabza

Maybe it’s trying to load a patch that you may not have. Just remove it and re-add it manually and see if that fixes it.

• Cool, thanks!

• @LeonLeroy said:
    Yes! this app kicks ass now. it would be cool if you could record your effects on a loop as an overdub. i was messing around with some panning that i wish was recorded.

This is definitely what i have been missing!

If infinite looper could do the exact same thing but with midi notes i would be set.

or if there was a midi version of gtl

Agree 100%. I’ve been hunting for a midi looper that doesn’t suck for years. The only one so far is an obscure VST from RaxnTrax called Circlys. It’s fucking awesome.

I think the issue is with midi your dealing with discreet events as opposed to a continuous stream like audio, and in my experience almost all midi loopers suck at things like overdubbing because of overlapping note on/off messages, cc’s, etc.

• edited October 2019

Case study:

I have some (50+) ready stems/loops exported from Ableton (wav or mp3).
    Can I import them to GTL and rearrange them like song parts and play them back in random order...applying effects and maybe changing BPM on the fly?

Are there any limitations I should be aware of?

Cheers!

• edited October 2019

@YannisHatzi said:
    Case study:

Can I import them to GTL and rearrange them like song parts and play them back in random order...applying effects and maybe changing BPM on the fly?

Cheers!

Yes to all of that.

I should mention that you can’t rearrange the group positions but you can move loops between groups and play them back in any order.

If you are using the IOS Files app to store your loops then importing is easy. You can also use AudioShare.

And yes you can add effects and change the session tempo on the fly. There are two tempo algorithms, time stretch and pitch.

Cheers!

• can you randomize the start position of the play heads in group the loop?

• @kobamoto said:
    can you randomize the start position of the play heads in group the loop?

No.

• edited October 2019

@wim said:

@kobamoto said:

No.

how about manually?
    if not what a feature request that make, would certainly give us a bit of that ole session view magic not to mention an easy way to come up with new and interesting grooves.

• @kobamoto said:

@wim said:

@kobamoto said:

No.

how about manually?

No.

• edited October 2019

@jmarshallgtl said:

@YannisHatzi said:
    Case study:

Cheers!

Yes to all of that.

I should mention that you can’t rearrange the group positions but you can move loops between groups and play them back in any order.

If you are using the IOS Files app to store your loops then importing is easy. You can also use AudioShare.

And yes you can add effects and change the session tempo on the fly. There are two tempo algorithms, time stretch and pitch.

Cheers!

Great! Thank you for solving this headache in my quest for a light, portable and improvisational way of performing live.

• Can anyone speak to import/export/copy between GTL and Blocs Wave?

• Blocs => GTL use IAA & Link or Files (drag n drop)

GTL => Blocs IDK since Blocs import/filesystem is one of the worst points for that app AFAIK but maybe Files can help in this too...

• Is there a way to slip a loop forward or backwards? (it’s sloppily recorded as I’m often not quick enough jumping to the requisite app to start playing)

• @Krupa said:
    Is there a way to slip a loop forward or backwards? (it’s sloppily recorded as I’m often not quick enough jumping to the requisite app to start playing)

The usual workflow is to hit record at the 3/4 of next round or even at the second round so you can perform alongside the rhythm before nothing is recorded. Is that what you mean?

• No, I’ve recorded a bunch of loops this afternoon and just messing with them now, but one or two are missing the first notes, I probably need to either export and fix them somewhere else or just re record tomorrow when I’m all plugged in again :)

• Try what I described and you will get perfect loops :wink:

• edited May 2020

Sharing sessions.

• Is GTL limited to 4 loops per group ?

(not including merging)

And when merging is it destructive, ie bounce ?

Cheers

• I think it is limited to 4. Ive asked if it could be increased but the dev said no.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@topaz said:
    Is GTL limited to 4 loops per group ?

(not including merging)

And when merging is it destructive, ie bounce ?

Cheers

Yep, four. And merging is destructive.

But there's also the Master Group of four that can be playing behind any group. Creative use of that expands the available loops some. If you have loops that are common to more than one group you can put them there. You can also drag loops in and out of there to store them in unused groups and recall them when needed. So, with some fiddling you can effectively have up to 8 loops.

• Ok cheers.

Here’s hoping l7 gets multi out :-)

• Been watching some of Doug’s videos on this - it looks amazing. I don’t think it’s AUv3, but if it does get updated to AUv3 it’s going to be even more amazing!

• I use it all the time in AUM, routing processed guitar and live keyboard tracks to it.

The issue with AUv3 loopers is instability as if you loop for too long the memory allocation fills up and CRASH. I don't know if that issue is fixable anytime soon

My workflow is to have a generic, adaptable GTL setup, and have flexibility in how AUM songs feed into it. So far it works quite well. and means I only have to load an AUM file per song, and not a GTL one too.

• How does this compare to L7 from AudioKit?

• wimwim
    edited March 2023

It's 1000 x better. In every way.

(And not as good as Loopy Pro. IMO)

• @wim said:

I did the trail for loopy pro but couldn’t get into it. That said, I think maybe I didn’t dive in good enough. Can LP do sections like GTL can? Verse/chorus/etc?

I figure it’s only a $10 different if LP is that much better.

• @wim said:

I had thought about buying it but then Loopy Pro looked like it was on its way, so I held off. Definitely think that Loopy Pro is superior.

• wimwim
    edited March 2023

@HotStrange said:

@wim said:

I did the trail for loopy pro but couldn’t get into it. That said, I think maybe I didn’t dive in good enough. Can LP do sections like GTL can? Verse/chorus/etc?

Yes it can do that and much much more. But that power brings in some learning curve that GTL makes more apparent to grasp.

That really depends on your mindset and priorities. The best looper is the one that you'll actually use. GTL is outstanding and very accessible. Loopy Pro is limitless in its power and features but will be of little use if you don't use it because of not being inspired to explore those possibilities.

• Fwiw, I used GTL quite a bit in the long ago and it was not without its own learning curve.

My sense from helping a few people learn how to use Loopy Pro is that if Loopy doesn’t immediately make sense, they try different combinations of settings (without knowing what the settings do) and end up confusing themselves and give up rather than ask for help.

My suggestion is to ask for help early and it may all click after a few questions are answered.

• @wim said:

@HotStrange said:

@wim said:

Yes it can do that and much much more. But that power brings in some learning curve that GTL makes more apparent to grasp.

That really depends on your mindset and priorities. The best looper is the one that you'll actually use. GTL is outstanding and very accessible. Loopy Pro is limitless in its power and features but will be of little use if you don't use it because of not being inspired to explore those possibilities.

@espiegel123 said:
    Fwiw, I used GTL quite a bit in the long ago and it was not without its own learning curve.

My sense from helping a few people learn how to use Loopy Pro is that if Loopy doesn’t immediately make sense, they try different combinations of settings (without knowing what the settings do) and end up confusing themselves and give up rather than ask for help.

My suggestion is to ask for help early and it may all click after a few questions are answered.

Thanks guys! Gonna watch a few videos on each and try and come to a conclusion. I like the OG Loopy and L7 from AudioKit but am wanting something more fully featured to potentially make entire tracks in when the need/want arises. Any other I might be missing out on?