Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

synthjacker update?

i just saw synth jacker has had a new update last week i think? and has some sort of external audio slicing feature? what is that, and how does it work? i opened the app but I’m not sure how to go about it.

Comments

• I think it just slices up an external audio file, in the exact places where it would have sliced its own audio file that it records, when you are sampling synths, by playing them with midi.

Not a full on sound slicing utility, those have editors where you can place the slice, and edit how it names the slices being saved into little audio files. This is like, if you had the SynthJacker midi sequence, but recorded into a different system, like a daw, and play the midi sequence and record the synth, in that daw, you could import that recording back into SynthJacker, and it would slice it and name the slices.

I’d be really interested, in a semi-auto sampler, if it existed, for non-midi synths, and acoustic instruments, where it tells you what note to play, and then you play it by hand, and the app finds the transient where you played the note and slices it, and names it the note/velocity it directed you to play.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

From a different thread: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/694130/#Comment_694130

@coniferprod said:
    Thanks guys, you’re all awesome! Beware that there is a little problem with the AUv3 view on iOS 13, so I need to make a point update.

Also the user manual needs a small update, but I’ll just include a BYOAF quick guide here:

• Create a sequence in SynthJacker as usual. Swipe left on the sequence list and tap "Generate MIDI". You will find a MIDI file of the sequence in the Files app, in SynthJacker / MIDI Files.
    • Import the MIDI file into your music app or DAW. Then play it back and record the results into an audio file.
    • Copy the audio file to the SynthJacker / Audio Files directory in the Files app, for example using iCloud Drive.
    • Switch to SynthJacker, select the sequence and select Imported Recording as the source.
    • Listen to the audio file using the Play button, and slice it into samples with the Record button. As with the other sources, you will find the new sample files in the SynthJacker directory.

I tried it one time by setting up a midi file, opening it in Photon in AUM and created an SFZ of a Model D patch. It opened as it should in Zenbeats. I've not had much luck with Stagelight/Zenbeats with sfz's though. Some notes sound OK, others not.

I've not tried other import targets yet.

• @Processaurus said:
    I think it just slices up an external audio file, in the exact places where it would have sliced its own audio file that it records, when you are sampling synths, by playing them with midi.

That's right. When there's something that SynthJacker can't drive directly, like an IAA app, then use another app (like Cubasis) to drive it and record the result. Then bring it to SJ to handle the rest.

I’d be really interested, in a semi-auto sampler, if it existed, for non-midi synths, and acoustic instruments, where it tells you what note to play, and then you play it by hand, and the app finds the transient where you played the note and slices it, and names it the note/velocity it directed you to play.

That's a cool idea. For the time being SJ is totally focused on MIDI-capable (digital) instruments, but definitely the transient detection would be cool.

I wonder if something like that could be approximated by using a combination of pitch-to-MIDI and recording? I.e. play something, record it at the same time, then use pitch-to-MIDI to get a MIDI file out of it, and then bring the recording over for slicing. That might require some tweaking with SJ, because it stubbornly uses its own idea of a sequence and the notes that belong to it, so arbitrary notes don't really work right now. Except if you play the sequence rigorously. But then you wouldn't need the pitch to MIDI... is my logic circular or what? But definitely worth thinking more about.

• @coniferprod said:
    I wonder if something like that could be approximated by using a combination of pitch-to-MIDI and recording? I.e. play something, record it at the same time, then use pitch-to-MIDI to get a MIDI file out of it, and then bring the recording over for slicing. That might require some tweaking with SJ, because it stubbornly uses its own idea of a sequence and the notes that belong to it, so arbitrary notes don't really work right now. Except if you play the sequence rigorously. But then you wouldn't need the pitch to MIDI... is my logic circular or what? But definitely worth thinking more about.

oh wow, what a great idea! I certainly won't hold you to it, but I would pay for that app (or IAP) in a heartbeat.

• edited October 2019

what is a good midi app that allows import of midi files? I’m trying to record several plugins with effects in AuM for synthjacker

• Photon AU

• thanks > @auxmux said:

Photon AU

• Bug fix release 0.7.1 is on the App Store now.

• Guys where can i find what settings a need to have in Synthjacker to create samples to be used in AudioLayer.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

Should be:

• Output Format: Wave
    • Note Name: Name
    • Sample Name Format: Patch-Note-Velocity
    • Separator: Underscore
    • Three-digit Velocity: On
    • Three-digit Note: On
    • Folder Structure: Flat

I think.

[edit] ehh... NOT. AudioLayer needs that dumb p, pp, ppp, etc. naming convention. I don't think SynthJacker can do that.

I always hated that aspect of the Audiolayer import.

• Thank y so much Wim,
    I thought it would be easier to understand but man, hit a wall fast.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Thank y so much Wim,

You'll have to rename the samples one by one, or rearrange them into the right velocity layers in the app. Unless you're just using one velocity layer. In that case, you can change Sample Name Format to Patch-Note.

[edit] the info above was outdated. AudioLayer no longer requires the ppp, pp, etc. naming format. Velocity numbering works fine.

• edited November 2019

I was thinking of using new way that SynthJacker dev said to use. I think i can import the recorded files and have SynthJacker do the post stuff for me?

• I was able to get the midi file from Xequence to play my synth in AUM; recording right now. Will see how it works.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    I was thinking of using new way that SynthJacker dev said to use. I think i can import the recorded files and have SynthJacker do the post stuff for me?

The problem is with AudioLayer's required naming convention. SynthJacker can output the velocity as a number, but AudioLayer's import requires musical notation style (ppp, pp, p, m, f, ff, fff) for the import if you use velocity. SynthJacker can't do that style of velocity naming.

[edit] the info above was outdated. AudioLayer no longer requires the ppp, pp, etc. naming format. Velocity numbering works fine.

• You mean in Audiolayer? I thought AudioLayer did that automatically if you imported the files already named; then again what do i know😂😇❤️

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Thank y so much Wim,

You'll have to rename the samples one by one, or rearrange them into the right velocity layers in the app. Unless you're just using one velocity layer. In that case, you can change Sample Name Format to Patch-Note.

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Thank y so much Wim,

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    You mean in Audiolayer? I thought AudioLayer did that automatically if you imported the files already named; then again what do i know😂😇❤️

Yes, AudioLayer can import the files if they're named properly. But you can't get SynthJacker to name them that way, at least not for multiple velocity layers. If you only work with one velocity per sample then it can name them without the velocity (Patch-Note, rather than Patch-Note-Velocity).

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Guys where can i find what settings a need to have in Synthjacker to create samples to be used in AudioLayer.

From another thread where I wrote about the AudoLayer target

SETTINGS:
    MIDI Note 60 is C4
    Sample Name Format: Patch-Velocity-Note
    Separator: Dash
    Three-digit velocity: Check
    Three-digit note : Check
    Folder Structure: Flat (this can be changed to By Velocity if you want to import by Layers or By Note if you want to use Zones, I think). I like Flat to get a complete map "football" field of the samples as imported into AudioLayer.
    Trim Silence: Both
    Noise Floor: -54.0 dB
    Normalize Samples: ON
    Normalization Level: -1.0 dB

App UI:
    Audio Unit (I use external using Loopback cables with a Presonus AudioBus for IAA Apps)
    Instrument: Mostly the Sample-based Apps like BS-16i, Colossus, RC 275, BeatHawk) but Synths too if they make sense for a 5 second snapshot.
    Name: Pick a Name that will help ID the instrument later.
    From Note: A0 (21) (if I want the full keyboard but C2 for Synths)
    To Note: C7 (96) (C6 (84) it the process fails or I don't want fidelity to the 88th key).
    ** That's still only 76 keys but that top octave never records better than using the C7 to cover the whole octave.
    Semitones: 3 (1 for drums with much smaller NOTE range)
    Velocity Layers: 20,40,60,80,100
    Note Length: 5.0 seconds
    Note Decay: 1.0 seconds
    Gap Between: 0.5 seconds

This makes a useful import files set 90% of the time. When there's a problem, I reduce the Velocity Layers first to 30,50,100 for example.

Start the "SynthJack" Process... and listen for a few seconds to insure its working. Some synths don't respond to NOTE 21 and it's good to stop and raise the Start Note.

After the import I use the Files App and go to:
    On My iPad/SynthJacker and check for the Folder with the "Name". Multiple runs use a name over and over and the Folder has a serial code appended so find the biggest inter code.

How many files are in that folder... should be somewhere around 100+.

Open AudioLayer and choose the Instrument Selector and the "+ Instrument" in the lower
    left of the pop-up menu. Name this New Instrument and use the Name you input in SynthJacker if you want to indicate the connection and mirror the soon to be imported Sample files.

Next, tap on the Football field.
    Select Import sample
    Navigate to On my iPad/Synthjacker/{Name_of_Instrument Folder}
    Choose Select
    Choose Select All
    (Unselect the SFZ file... probably doesn't matter really).
    Choose Open
    Choose "Auto Map [File Name]"

The samples will be imported to cover the Football Field. If area is not covered touch an adjacent sample and pull it to cover the open "black" area.

Choose the DISK ICON next to the Instrument's Name and Select Save. The instrument is not save and any crash while testing it out could loose the work to this point.

From start to end the whole process takes about 10 minutes for a 100-200 sample instrument
    with 5 second samples.

NOTE: The samples generated may not be 5 seconds long after trimming. But they will be as long as you can get. Some will end up being 2-3 seconds.

If there are any errors here let me know while I can edit them in the text.

• Oh i see. So i guess its better to just do single velocity layer. I’ll try it.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@McD, I think there are two errors in the above. I think the separator needs to be Underscore rather than Dash, and the naming has to be Patch-Note-Velocity, rather than Patch-Velocity-Note.

[edit] the above comment is still correct.

Either that, or the post I was going from: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/622517/#Comment_622517 is wrong.

[edit] indeed, part that post is no longer correct. Velocities can now be specified in numbers.

I'm not feeling ambitious enough to test that out though. I'm kind of put off of batch importing to AudioLayer because of the velocity naming scheme which I roundly dislike, and the odd (to me) way it allocates velocity ranges even when you do go to the trouble of naming them.

[edit] I’m happy to say that importing now works great using SynthJacker and numbered velocities. Ex. Piano_C3_100.

• McDMcD
    edited November 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    Oh i see. So i guess its better to just do single velocity layer. I’ll try it.

At the time of creating those recommendations I believe that was the case. It has been updated a few more times. The naming details are important. I'd try let it do it's magic and see what multiple velocities in a run provides. It was buggy and I suspect it's better now.

I don't see any penalty to using the multiple folders for a range of velocities but ideally complete automation of the process is the ultimate goal.

I haven't done any significant testing of the recent update. I'm hoping to import some 3 layer samples into NS2's Obsidian sampler following the lead of @ScottVanZandt who makes his samplesest by hand:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33481/secrets-of-the-ios-masters-scottvanzandt-and-nanostudio2-no-auv3-instruments

• Thank you guys so much❤️

• edited November 2019

The out file was a single long file. I’ll try to upload it.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    The out file was a single long file. I’ll try to upload it.

You need to process that file through SynthJacker to slice and dice it into samples AudioLayer can import. It won't import into AudioLayer as one long file. Somewhere in this thread there are instructions for that. Or...maybe in the app store release notes.

Lemme check.

• here it is from the manual:

Using External Recordings
    You can use the SynthJacker slicing engine to process externally recorded audio files. This is known as "Bring Your Own Audio File" or BYOAF for short. Here is a quick guide to using this feature.

Create a sequence in SynthJacker as usual. Swipe left on the sequence list, and tap Generate MIDI. This directs SynthJacker to create a MIDI file containing the notes of the sequence. It will be found in the Files app, in SynthJacker / MIDI Files.

Import the MIDI file into your music app or DAW, on iOS, macOS, Windows, or anywhere you can. Then play it back and record the results into an audio file.

Copy the audio file to the SynthJacker / Audio Files directory in the Files app, for example using iCloud Drive.

Switch to SynthJacker and select the same sequence you exported earlier. Select Imported Recording as the source.

Listen to the audio file using the Play button, and slice it into samples with the Record button. As with the other sources, you will find the new sample files in the SynthJacker directory.

Tips for better slicing
    Make sure to match the MIDI file and the recording. The slicing is based on the timing of the notes, so a recording of a different sequence is probably not going to give very good results.

Especially when recording Inter-App Audio apps on iOS there may be a slight lag until the first note of the sequence sounds. If you find that this happens, insert a dummy note at the very start of the sequence, so that the IAA app is ready when the actual recording needs to start. This will then require some pre-processing before you bring the recording over to SynthJacker, to trim off the "warm-up note". However, compared to the hassle of manually slicing recordings you will surely find this a quick and painless step.

• Hello, have I missed something about the AudioLayer import? I’ve never needed those p, f, etc. designations in the name; just the numeric MIDI velocity values should be fine for automapping.

If there is something else that SynthJacker could do to make it easier, can you wrap up the issue so I can think about a solution. Thanks!

• @coniferprod said:
    Hello, have I missed something about the AudioLayer import?

No. I think you got it right for naming and isolating the files to velocity folders but
    pointing a velocity to a "pp,p,mf,f,ff" naming scheme also gets the user there.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@McD said:

@coniferprod said:

No. I think you got it right for naming and isolating the files to velocity folders but

Sorry, that’s Inaccurate.

AudioLayer requires the ppp, pp, mf, f, ff, fff naming convention to work with velocity layers for automatic import. Unless they changed it somewhere along the road and I missed it. I’m pretty sure I’m right on that point.

[edit] Well, well, well, happy to be wrong on that point! It does work with numeric velocities! That’s great. Not documented anywhere I’ve been able to find, but Soooooo much better that way. Happy, happy, happy. :)

I’ll go back and edit previous posts about the settings. (Attn: @Musikman4Christ )

AudioLayer doesn’t make use of folders for velocity @McD. You may be confusing this with Obsidian. For Obsidian you want each velocity layer (up to three) in its own folder. That makes loading the files to the three oscillators easier.

• @wim said:

@McD said:

@coniferprod said:

Sorry, that’s Inaccurate.

AudioLayer requires the ppp, pp, mf, f, ff, fff naming convention to work with velocity layers for automatic import. Unless they changed it somewhere along the road and I missed it. I’m pretty sure I’m right on that point.

AudioLayer doesn’t make use of folders for velocity @McD. You may be confusing this with Obsidian. For Obsidian you want each velocity layer (up to three) in its own folder. That makes loading the files to the three oscillators easier.

Thanks for clarifying the facts. It's been a while since I was cranking out AudioLayer clones of my app and my memory is not what it used to be. The instruments are great. The ESX24s import from my MacBook's Logic Pro are great but AudioLayer is too heavy to allow for a lot of tracks... just like all my other great AUv3's. They are too resource intensive to scale past 5 tracks.

It's Cubasis audio freezing (which has been too painful for me) or 3-layer NS2 importing to do the Film Scoring stuff. I haven't been motivated to do the NS2 work. Maybe people will share their NS instrument creation efforts and we can break the work into pieces using PatchStorage. I suspect there are complex issues with rights. I bought Colossus Piano and
    could be able to "back it up" but should I give away my backup?