Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

sync digitakt and AUM

personally i prefer aum over AB, and in my small portable setup i need a stable sync between my digitakt and AUM.
But I’ve found out that the midi sync between AB and digitakt is much more stable and reliable than with aum. even the “transport control” is working: when Digitakt is master, i can start/stop everything via it’s play/stop buttons. and when i’m stopping playback inside AB, the digitakt continues to play, and after re-pressing play inside AB, AB is awaiting the next bar on the digitakt. Which is great !
But i would love to see that inside AUM as well.

1 workaround is to keep AB open in the background and route midi from Digitakt to AUM inside of AB: that’s working fine

the other solution would be using Ableton Link via the link->midi app in the background. But That’s less stable.

any ideas to achieve this inside of AUM without any other apps in the background ? I prefer having everything inside AUM to avoid additional error sources.

Comments

• Just got a DT; am avid AUM user...seeking what people are ultimately finding most accurate and reliable for AUM synced to DT. What works best for those of you using this combo?

• @AlaErt said:
    personally i prefer aum over AB.....

:D quite a funny opening statement on a thread in this forum I thought!

AB3 MIDI Sync quality/options and the way it unifies MIDI/Link is the great unsung hero of iOS music for me.

I think the best option might be to use AB3 and AUM synced via link although it’s still admittedly a bit of a kludge having to run 2 hosts ...

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@iamspoon said:

@AlaErt said:

AB3 MIDI Sync quality/options and the way it unifies MIDI/Link is the great unsung hero of iOS music for me.

I think the best option might be to use AB3 and AUM synced via link although it’s still admittedly a bit of a kludge having to run 2 hosts ...

Not any more than having both a left and right arm is a kludge. ;)

But yeh, I get the idea of “less moving parts” as being desirable. Problem is AUM isn’t cutting it, so probably worth the tradeoff.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2019

@AlaErt @StudioES
    Running AUM in sync with a MIDI clock master has been requested several times and looking back, just like the few requested AudioShare features, it seems like that just won't happen.

It's not that I would regret it because don't yet own AUM and there's still a number of apps working quite well with sync from external gear, like:
    modstep
    Gadget
    GR16
    Stroke Machine
    Genome MIDI
    Xynthesizr
    (BM3 works as slave only if you set the exact bpm manually and hit stop before starting the clock master).
    They all work without any troubles like "memory reset" or whatever.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

Jeeze. Just try hosting AUM in AudioBus. Use AudioBus sync AUM via Link, and to send clock everything else that needs midi clock. It works. It won’t melt your iPad or cause you to grow three heads. Honest. :D

• @rs2000 said:
    @AlaErt @StudioES
    Running AUM in sync with a MIDI clock master has been requested several times and looking back, just like the few requested AudioShare features, it seems like that just won't happen.

I do hope to add MIDI clock slaving to AUM as well in the future. Which "few" AudioShare feature requests are you thinking of? My lists of user wishes for both AUM and AudioShare are huge. I think the last AUM update was pretty massive so I must say I get a bit offended by your "won't happen"...

You should understand that I'm a one man company with several apps to maintain, a bunch of user support emails to handle each day 365 days a year, also working for a couple of other companies, and a family to take care of.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@rs2000 said:
    @AlaErt @StudioES

I do hope to add MIDI clock slaving to AUM as well in the future. Which "few" AudioShare feature requests are you thinking of? My lists of user wishes for both AUM and AudioShare are huge. I think the last AUM update was pretty massive so I must say I get a bit offended by your "won't happen"...

You should understand that I'm a one man company with several apps to maintain, a bunch of user support emails to handle each day 365 days a year, also working for a couple of other companies, and a family to take care of.

maybe you got that wrong - or at least: i don’t know. But just to let you know: AUM is one of my favorite apps of all times. Thank you so much for all your work and effort. For me it’s almost perfect.

• @iamspoon said:

@AlaErt said:

haha yea - sorry for that ;)

yes, thats my point (the 2 hosts) But that’s the way i’m doing it right now and it works great. AND you made me realize, that i was doing one unnecessary step, which was not needed. I made a midi connection from Digitakt to AUM inside of AB3, which was stupid an redundant. Thanks for that.

• @wim said:
    Jeeze. Just try hosting AUM in AudioBus. Use AudioBus sync AUM via Link, and to send clock everything else that needs midi clock. It works. It won’t melt your iPad or cause you to grow three heads. Honest. :D

haha yes, that’s the way i am doing it right now. my fear was not to melt the ipad, but to increment the chances of a crash during a live situation by using 2 hosts.

• @StudioES said:
    Oh, I didn't read your entire post. Sorry about that. So you're using AUM inside of AB3? or the Link-to-MIDI app?
    Only thing I can add here: an iPad memory reset helps with the tempo-drift when MIDI sync'ing. At least for a short while.

it’s not your fault. Because of my crappy english i’m writing half a book, just to say one thing. ;)
    Well as i don’t like the midi-to-link app so much, right now i’m sending midi clock from the digitakt to AB3 which syncs to AUM via LINK. It’s working fine. Basically the same as midi-to-link, but the start/stop commands at working better.

I was just looking for an alternative solution, which would not require 2 hosts.

• :p Just teasing about the thread opener... but you knew that already.

PS don’t listen to @wim, his advice has become inconsistent since he grew a third head.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@rs2000 said:
    @AlaErt @StudioES

I do hope to add MIDI clock slaving to AUM as well in the future.

When? Future is infinite, just not for us humans maybe :D
    Sorry if my conclusion from the past two years came over as an offense, that honestly wasn't my intention. AUM is praised here over and over again by many of its users so you've definitely done something right I would say.
    It's just that every now and then, someone wants to integrate their iDevice with MIDI hardware now and since I have not heard of any plans until when that's definitely going to happen in AUM, I've listed a few apps that I've used with hardware myself and that work today with the intent to help other forum members.

I didn't question that.
    No worries, you owe me nothing and you are free to decide what to do.

Just sent you a PM with more details.

• @StudioES said:
    Thanks @rs2000 ! You're the forum's 'Sync King'! :)

Hehe, thanks! Hope the syncing sync king's not thinkin' 'bout drinkin' at the Sync-Inn until sinkin' :D o:)

On my 2018 iPad 6 (2GB RAM), a memory flush is required at the start of a sync'd session. AB3 requires a ~ -60ms offset otherwise.

Thank you, good to know! I recently wondered why I couldn't get rid of exactly that offset when using AB3.

• memory flush ? what is this ? I find the sync between ab3 midi slave and AUM link not so reliable :(

• edited September 2019

@bresk said:
    memory flush ? what is this ? I find the sync between ab3 midi slave and AUM link not so reliable :(

From https://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-free-up-or-clear-ram-in-ios-on-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-tip/

Ever felt your iPhone or iPad is slowing down and becoming sluggish after a while of usage? iOS has and continues to do a pretty good job at automatically managing the memory packed into the devices it ships with, but like every software out there, there are those occasional hiccups. Restarting your phone usually removes those kinks until next time, but that process is just too slow for some. Luckily there is a much quicker way of flushing your iOS device’s RAM so you can jump back to business as usual on your phone or tablet. We show you how in a quick, step-by-step guide below.

The process of freeing up RAM on iOS is different to soft and hard reboot, and is especially useful for older-generation iOS device with 1GB RAM or less running the latest versions of iOS.

Step 1: To begin, simply hold down the Power button on your iOS device till you see the familiar “slide to power off” message on the screen.

Step 2: Don’t cancel, and don’t slide the button to power the device off. When you see the “slide to power off” message on screen, while still holding down the Power button, now also hold down the Home button simultaneously for a few seconds until you see the screen flash black and back to Home screen.

That’s it! Unlock your phone and double-tap the Home button to trigger app switcher. You will notice that all of your running apps are still there, however, if you try to switch to any of them, you will notice that they will reload. This is because the steps outlined above flushed all of your non-critical data from the RAM, giving you a clean and smooth environment to operate with.

While this trick may not be a complete substitute for the good ol’ fashioned restart or hard-reboot, it could come in handy at times. That said, it is unlikely that owners of newer iOS devices such as iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro with 2GB RAM or more will likely ever need to go this route. But as mentioned above, on the older iPhones and iPads running iOS 9.0 and above, this could be very useful.

Edit: On iOS12/iPad, I have to let go the power button before holding the home button until the springboard reappears.

• AUM+AB works well in so many ways. Why not just enjoy the benefits of both?

• I just found out something great ! i didn’t know this ! yesterday i just did setup AB3 as a slave to the digitakt and used it to sync it
    to AUM via LINK. Worked great.
    And today, with JUST AUM open (no AB3 in background and no other apps) the AB3 symbol is appearing inside AUM each time i open it, and it syncs perfectly to a “non existent” AB3 session via Link and by getting the clock from the Digitakt.
    That is somehow exactly what i was looking for: just one host !
    Does anybody know how this works ? I’m no newbie at all regarding iOs, but this is new to
    me.

see the pics

• this is my mobile digitakt/microfreak woodbox version, btw ;)
    Just one power supply/power bank for everything : Microfreak/digitakt/audiointerface.
    Midi AND Power for the freak via the usb host port of the interface.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@AlaErt said:
    I just found out something great ! i didn’t know this ! yesterday i just did setup AB3 as a slave to the digitakt and used it to sync it
    And today, with JUST AUM open (no AB3 in background and no other apps) the AB3 symbol is appearing inside AUM each time i open it, and it syncs perfectly to a “non existent” AB3 session via Link and by getting the clock from the Digitakt.
    Does anybody know how this works ? I’m no newbie at all regarding iOs, but this is new to
    me.

see the pics

Looks to me like Audiobus wasn't completely shut down by iOS and is running as a "ghost" process even though it's not showing. The next time you reset memory or reboot the phone it'll go away. In the meantime, it's probably draining your battery even when you're doing nothing on the device.

• @wim said:

@AlaErt said:
    I just found out something great ! i didn’t know this ! yesterday i just did setup AB3 as a slave to the digitakt and used it to sync it
    me.

see the pics

Looks to me like Audiobus wasn't completely shut down by iOS and is running as a "ghost" process even though it's not showing. The next time you reset memory or reboot the phone it'll go away. In the meantime, it's probably draining your battery even when you're doing nothing on the device.

sh$#!@!!! you’re right! It was a bug, not a feature! :)) It was PERFECT ! hahahah