Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• me too, it definitely seems like the perfect companion to the iPad for assuring more live performance stability of clip launching and such. I am envisioning loading it up with stems and finished tracks to free up my (non-pro 2018) iPad for pure vocal processing and trying that out for stability.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

Damn. Want. Bad.

(Added stability? Not a given. It’s purely a software device with some knobs added. Their success at producing stable software will determine the stability. Being a single purpose device without the complications of multiple apps competing for resources should make that easier though.)

• Fabulous for the inventive guitarist/songwriter as well. Lots of looping and sampling, well catered for in a compact, intuitive interface

• edited September 2019

Seriously considering purchasing this one. Thinking about workflow, i can imagine that i can use it during jamming and recording loops from my hw synths in studio and then export them into iPad.

Well see...

@wim said:
    Damn. Want. Bad.

(Added stability? Not a given. It’s purely a software device with some knobs added. Their success at producing stable software will determine the stability. Being a single purpose device without the complications of multiple apps competing for resources should make that easier though.)

But there is running JUST that app and not gazzilion other competiting threads and there are no unstable third party plugins to ruin the game (reason of 90% crashes of iOS DAWs).

There is no operating system on bottom with not well documented API which is randomly changed with each OS update.

There is not LOT of things which are outof control of daw developer and which are reason of crashes on iOS. It's simply that whole code is 100% under the control of dev.

And last bit nit least - It's coded most probably in old good C++ and not in crap like Swift

So yeah, i pretty much believe this thing can be stable like hell.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

+1 (but I said it in one sentence)
    I imagine it will be stable too, but the point was, it’s not really hardware. It’s software in a box with some knobs and buttons.

I am so seriously tempted by this. Far more than by upgrading my iPad Air 2 at this point.

• @dendy said:
    Seriously considering purchasing this one. Thinking about workflow, i can imagine that i can use it during jamming and recording loops from my hw synths in studio and then export them into iPad.

Well see...

@wim said:
    Damn. Want. Bad.

But there is running JUST that app and not gazzilion other competiting threads and there are no unstable third party plugins to ruin the game (reason of 90% crashes of iOS DAWs).

There is no operating system on bottom with not well documented API which is randomly changed with each OS update.

There is not LOT of things which are outof control of daw developer and which are reason of crashes on iOS. It's simply that whole code is 100% under the control of dev.

And last bit nit least - It's coded most probably in old good C++ and not in crap like Swift

So yeah, i pretty much believe this thing can be stable like hell.

Yep

• @wim said:
    +1 (but I said it in one sentence)
    I imagine it will be stable too, but the point was, it’s not really hardware. It’s software in a box with some knobs and buttons.

I am so seriously tempted by this. Far more than by upgrading my iPad Air 2 at this point.

Sorry? LOL

• edited September 2019

Ok but then nothing except
    of analog synths is hardware :-) The devil is hidden in details, which i mentioned above - that's main difference between such "hardware" and app running on some general-purpose OS.

Btw also software packed inside hardware box can be pretty crap unstable and buggy - good (or better to say bad) example is Korg Electribe :trollface:

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@dendy said:
    Btw also software packed inside hardware box can be pretty crap unstable and buggy - good (or better to say bad) example is Korg Electribe :trollface:

That was my point.
    I doubt it’ll be the case here, but for $600, I think I’ll wait to see it with my own eyes.

• If we got an AU that had clip launching, then I could live without this and get by with EG Pulse, AudioLayer, and have everything I need in AUM.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Really interested in feedback on this

There is a good (long) thread over here with several owners reporting back

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/1010music-blackbox/86718/486

And the 1010 forum is good too

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/products/blackbox

• What @dendy said. By that token a Korg Kronos is only “software “ too. Nope, this is a hardware box .

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@Telstar5 said:
    What @dendy said. By that token a Korg Kronos is only “software “ too. Nope, this is a hardware box .

No. It’s not. It’s a computer.

• edited September 2019

It doesn’t run on batteries though. A better mobile solution methinks is the Synthstrom deluge . It’s almost double the price though.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

For that sweet of a box, I would carry a battery bank and not be bothered a bit. Lotsa duct tape, and it’d be badass.

• Have been a bit drooly over this for a while... no batteries though? Whats with the head bobbing in the subway stuff in their promo video though...? that seems deceptive.

• edited September 2019

@wim said:
    For that sweet of a box, I would carry a battery bank and not be bothered a bit.

This !

Lotsa duct tape, and it’d be badass.

Yeah !! Silver one !! :lol:

• With pad is and the always in Micro sd card in my hub... hmm 🤔 the iPad could do exactly what the Blackbox does. But maybe we need an additional app that needs to be build before :) haha so seriously the iPad can do much of this and pulse by EG is a huge step in that direction

• @at2 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Really interested in feedback on this

There is a good (long) thread over here with several owners reporting back

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/1010music-blackbox/86718/486

And the 1010 forum is good too

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/products/blackbox

Cool

I guess non Elektron topics are better on that forum because people can't just say "read the manual"...rolls eyes..

• @david_2017 said:
    With pad is and the always in Micro sd card in my hub... hmm 🤔 the iPad could do exactly what the Blackbox does. But maybe we need an additional app that needs to be build before :) haha so seriously the iPad can do much of this and pulse by EG is a huge step in that direction

I guess the audio input out midi w no interface is the allure.

• Eyeing up this bad boy, anybody got one? I would be using as a stem player + live looper for beatboxing.

• I’ve got my Blackbox now, and can confirm it’s a blaaaaast. I’m only playing around with the built in presets atm and loving this little machine. Points for intuitiveness, I have not even cracked the manual yet. And for some reason playing this touch screen feels more like an instrument than my iPad ...

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    I’ve got my Blackbox now, and can confirm it’s a blaaaaast. I’m only playing around with the built in presets atm and loving this little machine. Points for intuitiveness, I have not even cracked the manual yet. And for some reason playing this touch screen feels more like an instrument than my iPad ...

Keep us ( well me anyway :P ) informed.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    I’ve got my Blackbox now, and can confirm it’s a blaaaaast. I’m only playing around with the built in presets atm and loving this little machine. Points for intuitiveness, I have not even cracked the manual yet. And for some reason playing this touch screen feels more like an instrument than my iPad ...

It's all in the software!
    The Blackbox reminds me a bit of Koala, TriqTraq, Yellofier and Samplr in terms of simplicity but hardly any developer has packed so much functionality into such a simple and straightforward UI.
    The user interface would look super-ugly on an iPad, maybe that's why no dev has done something like that yet.
    But it's also a lot of work to build something like this. Or like the OP-1 or the Digitakt or...

• @rs2000 said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

It's all in the software!
    The Blackbox reminds me a bit of Koala, TriqTraq, Yellofier and Samplr in terms of simplicity but hardly any developer has packed so much functionality into such a simple and straightforward UI.
    The user interface would look super-ugly on an iPad, maybe that's why no dev has done something like that yet.
    But it's also a lot of work to build something like this. Or like the OP-1 or the Digitakt or...

@Gaia.Tree and @rs2000
    You guys familar with the Digitakt? How does this compare? I love the DT, but the sampling is a little hamstrung, I must say....

• The Digitakt feels very different. You get familiar with the (re)sampling, editing and FX screens and a lot can be done with certain button combinations. It's about the best drum machine I can imagine and it's very strong on the MIDI tracks too but it's not an all-round machine.
    Samples can only played monophonically on a track (which is OK for a drum machine) and although it has stereo inputs, sampling is actually mono!
    If you want to go for one box only, the Blackbox is a better deal for sure but there's no question that the DT has its own charm and invites to experiment with samples.

I have to admit that Nanostudio 2 and Groove Rider have made the DT somewhat obsolete for me and I already thought about selling it.

• @rs2000 said:

I have to admit that Nanostudio 2 and Groove Rider have made the DT somewhat obsolete for me and I already thought about selling it.

Wow, that's interesting. I love the DT, and I love the tracks that I come up with and how lost I get in it...but it always sounds like someone else's music a little bit. Never considered NS2 for sampling; is that how you're using it?

• I haven’t tried a DT myself but have owned an Octatrack before, and the Blackbox is miles easier than that beast. It’s about as easy to use as the SP404 in my limited hardware sampler experience

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@rs2000 said:

Wow, that's interesting. I love the DT, and I love the tracks that I come up with and how lost I get in it...but it always sounds like someone else's music a little bit. Never considered NS2 for sampling; is that how you're using it?

Not only, but sampling in Slate is very straightforward and fun.
    Beware, NS2 is far from comparable to the Digitakt and the DT can do a lot of rather unique tricks that NS2 cannot do, like mangling and modulating samples or modulating MIDI CC messages for external gear. But then, switching to Groove Rider, it can do some of this stuff including P-Locks, a sequencer with a few cool tricks and proper note editing (unavailable on the DT) and the Serum-compatible wavetable oscillator plus a few nice FM wavetables that can be modulated and p-locked has even saved me from buying a Digitone.
    Although I could use both in tandem, I use them exclusively mostly, always choosing the one I feel like I'm more drawn to at the moment. 😁