Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoKEY Studio iOS 13

Comments

• Luckily mine was paired before iOS13, cause I don’t have access to a desktop computer, so no way to update this... :(

• Also Korg USB-MIDI driver is not compatible with Catalina yet. And without it I couldn't install the latest firmware on microkey air

• @clowm said:
    Also Korg USB-MIDI driver is not compatible with Catalina yet. And without it I couldn't install the latest firmware on microkey air

I updated my Nanokey Studio with my MacBook Pro with Catalina.

• I had no problems updating my nanoKey Studio on macOS Catalina.
    Just started the app and when it asked to start the nanoKey in update mode I did that and it found it.

I guess the Korg USB (1.2.5 something) driver and had previously installed still worked as expected?!

Also slightly off topic, but my UR-242 is working nicely again under Catalina after I installed the new Midi driver from Steinberg/Yamaha...

• @blakkaz said:
    Korg have issued a fix for iOS13 and Catalina bluetooth issues.

iOS: https://www.korg.com/au/news/2019/112902/
    Mac: https://www.korg.com/au/news/2019/112903/

Done and done. Our long national nightmare is finally over. All hail Korg.
    @ioue

• @Samu said:
    I had no problems updating my nanoKey Studio on macOS Catalina.
    Just started the app and when it asked to start the nanoKey in update mode I did that and it found it.

I guess the Korg USB (1.2.5 something) driver and had previously installed still worked as expected?!

Also slightly off topic, but my UR-242 is working nicely again under Catalina after I installed the new Midi driver from Steinberg/Yamaha...

Well I didn’t install this driver before upgrading, also I didn’t found in manual what is the update mode and how to turn it on

• @BiancaNeve said:

@Ed 209 said:
    EDIT: FIXED. Had to swop out the USB lead for a better one.
    The updater can't detect my connected Nanokey Studio. It's in boot mode. Anyone having the same problem?

I did have - but then I updated to the latest Korg usb driver and then all worked (it’s also important to actually unpack the zip file and run the updater from the folder you unpacked it to)

All in it took best part of an hour (including download times and allowing for iterations due to not RTFM) but all good now :)

Took me a long time to get it working too. I expected at least a message after updating the driver so I wasn't sure that had worked. But in the end I was using a shitty lead and that was the issue.

• Arrgh, still not working after update, and now the other iPad that used to work with the nanokey studio doesn't anymore.

Just checking I'm not missing any steps before contacting korg support:

-Nanokey firmware now on 1.08
    -iPad updated to 13.2.3
    -start ble-midi app
    -forget all references to nanokey
    -turn on nanokey
    -see it appear in the list, 'not connected'
    -tap it
    -'connecting' spins for half a second, reverts to 'not connected'
    -a second later it disappears from the list
    -sad face

Similar behaviour in gadget using the shortcut to Bluetooth midi devices.

• @matte said:
    Arrgh, still not working after update, and now the other iPad that used to work with the nanokey studio doesn't anymore.

-iPad updated to 13.2.3
    -start ble-midi app
    -turn on nanokey
    -tap it
    -sad face

It worked great here. I even went to settings > bluetooth and told iOS to forget it, then went back to the blemidi app and connected again. I assume you're sure the 1.08 update took (verified with the Nano Control app), and that you've rebooted your iPad?

• Worked fine for me updated nanokey studio and nanokey air

• @matte said:
    Arrgh, still not working after update, and now the other iPad that used to work with the nanokey studio doesn't anymore.

-iPad updated to 13.2.3
    -start ble-midi app
    -turn on nanokey
    -tap it
    -sad face

I'm having the same issues you've described. Now the NKS is no longer recognized by my iPhone 5C on iOS 9.3.5 or any of my iOS 13.2.3 devices (2017 iPad Pro 12.9, iPad Mini 5, iPhone SE). It only shows up as discoverable on the 5C in Settings, not on the other devices. I hope this is a result of an error on my part and is still correctable.

There's a possibility that I'll try this whole repair process again, but there's absolutely no chance I'll ever buy or recommend a Korg bluetooth MIDI device again.

• edited December 2019

@3sleeves said:

@matte said:

-iPad updated to 13.2.3
    -start ble-midi app
    -turn on nanokey
    -tap it
    -sad face

I'm having the same issues you've described. Now the NKS is no longer recognized by my iPhone 5C on iOS 9.3.5 or any of my iOS 13.2.3 devices (2017 iPad Pro 12.9, iPad Mini 5, iPhone SE). It only shows up as discoverable on the 5C in Settings, not on the other devices. I hope this is a result of an error on my part and is still correctable.

There's a possibility that I'll try this whole repair process again, but there's absolutely no chance I'll ever buy or recommend a Korg bluetooth MIDI device again.

I was having issues with connecting after updating my MicroKey Air with the new firmware (iPad on iOS 12.4.1).

I found that (for me) there is only one way to make a successful connection.

This is what worked for me....

1) In the iPad settings, forget the Korg Controller if it's showing up in the Bluetooth section.
    2) Turn Bluetooth off, and then on again.
    3) Make sure you have the Korg "Bluetooth MIDI Connect" App (from the App Store) installed.
    4) Turn on the Korg Controller.
    5) Open the "Bluetooth MIDI Connect" App.
    6) Look for the controller to show up in the "Bluetooth MIDI Connect" App. It should say "Not Connected".
    7) Tap on the word "Not Connected" in the "Bluetooth MIDI Connect" App.
    8) A system notice should pop up asking if you want to pair the device.... Tap "Yes".
    9) The word "Not Connected" should change to the work "Connected".
    10) The controller should now work... (At least it does for me with my MicroKey Air Controller)

After I did above procedure once to make an initial connection.....
    Any time I want to connect again, I....

1) Turn on the controller.
    2) Open the Korg "Bluetooth MIDI Connect" App.
    3) Tap on the word "Not Connected" in the Korg "Bluetooth MIDI Connect" App.
    4) The word then changes to "Connected".
    5) The controller works.

If I try to make the connection in the bluetooth section of iPad Settings, or in any App including the Korg Synths. It will say it's connected. But I am not able to receive Midi from the controller.

Hope this helps.

• Just on the off chance ...

Try shutting down or turning off Bluetooth on all other devices. I got stumped by this one day when trying to connect to the iPad, having forgotten that the device was still paired to the iPhone.

And definitely do not connect through the settings app. Only connect through the ble midi app or an app with a built-in bluetooth connect dialog. To be sure there’s no interference there, be sure to make iOS forget the device in settings, if you see it there.

• @wim said:
    And definitely do not connect through the settings app. Only connect through the ble midi app or an app with a built-in bluetooth connect dialog. To be sure there’s no interference there, be sure to make iOS forget the device in settings, if you see it there.

THAT WAS IT!!! Removing it from settings->bluetooth allowed BLE to work. Thanks so much, would never have thought to do that. :)

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

Great!

• edited December 2019

I've just tried to switch to 'Wireless mode with USB-power' but it doesn't work. The Manual says its holding 'Shift/Tab' and pressing Pad 4. Has anyone the same problem?

Solved – It's just that the LED in corner of the Nanokey doesn't switch to blue until it's connected via Bluetooth. (I remember that was different before the Update)

• Too bad KONTROL Editor app does not work on 10.15.

• @mifki said:
    Too bad KONTROL Editor app does not work on 10.15.

I still use the 'default' setup on my nanoKEY Studio. Each of the 8 scenes has different CC's mapped to the knobs by default.
    So it's like having 64 pre-mapped knobs without any major hassle, just swap the scene :)
    (I usually use one scene per/app when not using Gadget).

• Oh oh can anyone give me a hint where this updater is to be found!?
    Somehow its not on the site that Korg tell me it is...!??!

• All of Korg is just down.

• wow weird wtf I was on the site this morning, maybe about 7 hours ago? Thasnotgood haha

• @sigma79 said:
    All of Korg is just down.

Ooops that’s weird

• @david_2017 said:
    Oh oh can anyone give me a hint where this updater is to be found!?

It’s here:

https://www.korg.com/uk/products/computergear/nanokey_studio/

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@david_2017 said:

It’s here:

No unfortunately the link on the top that says so Leads to manual but no updater

• Havent got the file. Not sure if you can be sent a file. Maybe someone kept file?

• @sigma79 said:
    Havent got the file. Not sure if you can be sent a file. Maybe someone kept file?

Funny thing is, my iPhone works like a charm with it 🤔 hugh ?!?

• @david_2017 said:

@sigma79 said:
    Havent got the file. Not sure if you can be sent a file. Maybe someone kept file?

Funny thing is, my iPhone works like a charm with it 🤔 hugh ?!?

If it had been used with the phone before the update then it would keep working. The problem with the old firmware was that it wouldn't make new connections if you hadn't already used the device before upgrading. If you lose that pairing you won't be able to connect until you upgrade the firmware.

• @david_2017 said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@david_2017 said:

It’s here:

No unfortunately the link on the top that says so Leads to manual but no updater

The link works fine here. But it did take about 30 seconds for the links on the page to appear. Watch the progress bar on your browser and wait until the page fully loads.

• @mifki said:
    Too bad KONTROL Editor app does not work on 10.15.

It's working on 10.15.5 here.