Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Minimoog or Model 15? Assuming I have Audiokit apps, which one should I get?

Please let me hear your thoughts.

Edit: Decided to use Viking Synth for my "Minimoog" needs (for now), and keep an eye on Model 15 (hopefully there's a sale on it).

Comments

• If I had to uninstall one of them, Model 15 would stay.

• Minimoog: Instant fun.
    Model 15: A more scientific approach but more flexible. You'll definitely need more time for it.
    Both sound great but the Mini can't do everything Model 15 can do.

• If you want great sound and quick versatility, Mini.

If you’re really into synthesis, patch cables and all, Model 15.

That said, both are very musical.

• Model 15. Beautiful rich ambient works emerge from this synth.

• +1 model 15

• But don’t sleep on Sunrizer 😉

• Model D is instantly useable.

Model 15 sounds brilliant but takes effort.

For me, I'd choose the D only for ease of use. But frankly, both are worth it.

• One will take hours to learn, the other will take months to master.

If I was forced to choose just one, I would get both and Animoog too!

• @Samflash3 said:
    Please let me hear your thoughts.

So much depends on whether you are comfortable with modular synthesis or are willing to invest time into understanding it. If you aren't comfortable with modular or aren't interested in learning how it works, Model D.

But if modular is of interest Model 15.

• Buy one now and put the other on your wish list and wait for it to go on sale.
    They’re just too good not to have both of them.

• @Samflash3 If you're asking in order to save money then sound-wise, a good option could be to purchase Model 15 and Viking Synth. The latter has none of the fancy UI but it does sound like a Minimoog and it has powerful additional filter models, some even with dual peaks for creating vowel-like sounds etc.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

Good call @rs2000!

Though, if you’re after insta-in-your-face sounds, Model D rocks the house. Viking takes more effort to get the same punch in the gut, for me at least.

• I think I’d probably say Model 15 but only because I bought this - it explained so much that I didn’t know or wouldn’t have guessed.

Video Guide For Moog Model 15 by ASK Video

• I guess it really depends on what kind of music you are making. But personally i do not use model D at all. like never...
    while I use model15 almost in all of my tracks. It really sounds great and very flexible.

i think i quite mastered making my own patches. But today i’ve decided to try to buy some In-app patches in store. And i’ve found some really nice new sounds. Really great and variative synth, my favorite. Highly recommended.

• Model 15
    More work
    Less situational
    Better presets (if you include IAP)

MHOP

• Another vote for Model 15. It can do so much

• @wim said:
    Good call @rs2000!

Though, if you’re after insta-in-your-face sounds, Model D rocks the house. Viking takes more effort to get the same punch in the gut, for me at least.

Different presets do make a difference for sure ;)

• @rs2000 said:
    @Samflash3 If you're asking in order to save money then sound-wise, a good option could be to purchase Model 15 and Viking Synth. The latter has none of the fancy UI but it does sound like a Minimoog and it has powerful additional filter models, some even with dual peaks for creating vowel-like sounds etc.

Thanks for this. I found Viking Synth, and I think I'll get Model 15 because I haven't done much Modular, but its something I'm interested in.

I'm running into some trouble on Viking Synth though...it worked once before, now whenever I open it, it seems to just load up the manual.

• edited September 2019

@Samflash3 said:

@rs2000 said:
    @Samflash3 If you're asking in order to save money then sound-wise, a good option could be to purchase Model 15 and Viking Synth. The latter has none of the fancy UI but it does sound like a Minimoog and it has powerful additional filter models, some even with dual peaks for creating vowel-like sounds etc.

Thanks for this. I found Viking Synth, and I think I'll get Model 15 because I haven't done much Modular, but its something I'm interested in.

I'm running into some trouble on Viking Synth though...it worked once before, now whenever I open it, it seems to just load up the manual.

Viking is an AUv3 synth, you need a host like Cubasis, NanoStudio 2, Audio Evolution, Modstep, BeatMaker 3, apeMatrix etc. to load and play it!

• @Samflash3 said:

@rs2000 said:

Just figured it out. It's an AUv3, so I gotta run it in AudioBus or GarageBand

• @Samflash3 said:

@Samflash3 said:

@rs2000 said:

Yep, I forgot to mention these :+1:

• @rs2000 said:

@Samflash3 said:

@Samflash3 said:

@rs2000 said:

Yep, I forgot to mention these :+1:

All good. You gave me a great recommendation, so I can at least Viking until a Model 15 sale (i hope).

• The hardware equivalent would cost $40,000 @Samflash3

Moog do have a history of half price deals so might be good news in November if you can wait!

• I never use model 15, I regret buying it based on the rave reviews. The rats nest of cables aspect is what makes it time consuming to understand what is going on, and the electronic idiosyncrasies of the moog designs being recreated faithfully in software just end up making the operation confusing, unless you learn them all. The limited modules are a drag, for science projects, compared to the modern modular synths on iOS.

They did a great job making the app, sound quality is good, midi control is as good as it gets on iOS, just the faithful recreations of the difficulties and clunkiness of the hardware made it hard to work with. I personally mostly just play the presets.

Not saying people shouldn’t buy it, plenty of people enjoying it and making interesting music with it, and it is a fantastic recreation of old hardware, but I’ve had a better time going deep with the semi-modular synths with the mod matrix (list style with lines of sources and destinations), like Thor, or the modern style visual modulars like zmors or audulous or analogkit, where you only have the modules you are using on screen, and can contain and hide the mess of wires under the hood when it is time to play your patch.

• @Daveypoo said:
    Model D is instantly useable.

Model 15 sounds brilliant but takes effort.

For me, I'd choose the D only for ease of use. But frankly, both are worth it.

Start paraphrasing my brilliant insights, or you’ll be hearing from my imaginary attorney.

• I have them both and I'd take the Model 15 over the D. The 15 sounds incredible.

• I'd say neither. The Minimoog doesn't sound good enough to be as inflexible as it is in terms of sound design. Model 15, while being fun, is a pain in the ass to patch on the iPad screen. I really wanted to like both of them, but I've found that I never use them.

• To me both are great works of beauty, whether I use them much is neither here nor there. It's like having art. Unless you're absolutely particular about that Minimoog sound, and it does sound very good, the Model 15 I'd say is more interesting. Though yes it's an historical recreation and in modern terms as an IOS modular Synth app there are probably better ways of going about it but well, that's not the point. It's an insight into where Bob Moog was coming from and where it all started. Figuring out how to patch a Model 15 is hugely satisfying and it sounds awesome.

• Model 15 might just be my favourite synth. I’m a preset tweaker, and you can come up with some amazing, often unexpected delights with the 15. MD is also lovely, too, though, so grab both whenever possible.