Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pure Acid by Jim Audio!!! This is the best news ever!!!

Comments

• @Elvisthenrodent said:
    You know what's even better than pure acid?
    Pure acid with troublemaker, rozetta and poison 202 in audiobus.
    I maybe had the most fun jam since i bought my ipad with this combo B) .

Thanks for the suggestion !

• Guys, any idea how to sequence drums from using the AU host's sequencer (Beatmaker3 specifically)?
    I can see people mentioned sequencing with XOX or others, I tried different MIDI channels, but I always control only the bassline...
    Thanks for help!

• @skrat said:
    Guys, any idea how to sequence drums from using the AU host's sequencer (Beatmaker3 specifically)?
    I can see people mentioned sequencing with XOX or others, I tried different MIDI channels, but I always control only the bassline...
    Thanks for help!

Did you try channel 10 ?

• @jolico said:

@skrat said:
    Guys, any idea how to sequence drums from using the AU host's sequencer (Beatmaker3 specifically)?
    Thanks for help!

Did you try channel 10 ?

Yes, also trying out channel 10, I've found this hint dug somewhere in past discussion here.
    Maybe the problem is within BM3 MIDI routing itself, it was always a bit of a mystery. As they've added MIDI FX section, it's a bit different than what I was used to. Maybe I am not even sending it on channel 10, even though I specifically set it there (Pad options [where PA is loaded] > MIDI setup > MIDI output > Channel 10). Will try to ask on BM3 forum too.

• @skrat said:

@jolico said:

@skrat said:
    Thanks for help!

Did you try channel 10 ?

Yes, also trying out channel 10, I've found this hint dug somewhere in past discussion here.
    Maybe the problem is within BM3 MIDI routing itself, it was always a bit of a mystery. As they've added MIDI FX section, it's a bit different than what I was used to. Maybe I am not even sending it on channel 10, even though I specifically set it there (Pad options [where PA is loaded] > MIDI setup > MIDI output > Channel 10). Will try to ask on BM3 forum too.

BM3 forum is a bit silent, tried to go trough videos, tutorials, discussions here on audiobus forums, still no clue how to do a seemingly simple thing: send notes from BM3 sequencer on a specific channel do Pure Acid :neutral: Tried also endless combinations within BM3, even with blueveeks MIDI routing set of plugins...
    But I can just confirm that it's not a problem of Pure Acid, it's obviously a BM3 thing as in AUM it worked well for me. Will move to BM3 related forums.

• If I don't get much joy out of grooverider, would I like this?

• I want to try this app but I don't like the acid type sounds lol but it looks fun and well built

• That's kinda my take too, that and the fiddlyness of gr16, might try it again today though :smiley:

• @skrat Saw your post, haven't had any luck either. Tried sending MIDI from another bank, the Midi Tools plugins, filtering out all but channel 10, multiple Bus plugins (in rare cases these are required to get around several BM3 issues), Route...nothing I tried worked.

• @Krupa said:
    If I don't get much joy out of grooverider, would I like this?

@reasOne said:
    I want to try this app but I don't like the acid type sounds lol but it looks fun and well built

The workflow is much different/better than gr16 for me. I love this app. It is suitable for many many genres of electronic music. Think of it as bass synth with a blistering sequencer. It’s like letting an energetic dog off it’s lead in the middle of a meadow during the summer, except in this case it will be running through your musical compositions.

• Thanks @robosardine Definitely makes it sound interesting 😁

• @robosardine said:

@Krupa said:

@reasOne said:
    I want to try this app but I don't like the acid type sounds lol but it looks fun and well built

It’s like letting an energetic dog off it’s lead in the middle of a meadow during the summer

And your laces get caught in the dogs collar just before it releases that energy :D

• @Krupa said:

There are a number of YouTube videos devoted to it including a nice one by Jakob Haq's. It is always hard to know what someone will like.

It isn't very similar to GR-16. It is for a certain retro drum and bass sequencer. Some love it and some won't be wowed.

The videos will give you an idea.

• @robosardine said:

@Krupa said:

@reasOne said:

The workflow is much different/better than gr16 for me. I love this app. It is suitable for many many genres of electronic music. Think of it as bass synth with a blistering sequencer. It’s like letting an energetic dog off it’s lead in the middle of a meadow during the summer, except in this case it will be running through your musical compositions.

haha great description
    i don’t think i can make the music i make with this one, ambient/chilled stuff but the youtube videos def do it justice for the things it was created for

• @reasOne said:

@robosardine said:

@Krupa said:

@reasOne said:

haha great description
    i don’t think i can make the music i make with this one, ambient/chilled stuff but the youtube videos def do it justice for the things it was created for

303s, 808s, 606s and even 909s have been used in ambient/chillout for over 20 years.

• @jolico said:

@reasOne said:

@robosardine said:

@Krupa said:

@reasOne said:

haha great description

303s, 808s, 606s and even 909s have been used in ambient/chillout for over 20 years.

truth its just that distinct bass sound in it i wish there was more examples of this one in action doing other styles cuz it looks fun

• @reasOne said:

@Krupa said:

Recent jam using Pure Acid. You don’t need to use the synth sounds with it either, you can use the midi to drive other synths. Or you can do what I did here and make the actual synth sound extremely short and minimal then use FX to get the sound you actually want.

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

@Krupa said:
    That's kinda my take too, that and the fiddlyness of gr16, might try it again today though :smiley:

If you think the sequencer in GR-16 is fiddly then I doubt you will like the bass sequencer in Pure Acid. It's got some great generative tools, and as a 303 bass line sequencer, it's good, but as a general purpose sequencer, I don't care for it at all. Others will strongly disagree on that point, I'm sure.

BTW, I don't find GR-16 fiddly in any way, shape, or form. I love it! (And Pure Acid too.)

• Ta @wim that's dead helpful, I'm liking elastic drum's and just recently patterning's types of interfaces - probably much less deep but more expressive and immediate, perhaps suits my own sense of musicality (guitarist, was in bands etc). As well as that, my job is quite deep and fiddly (animation) so music is a way to get away from that style of thinking.

Sorry about that messy paragraph above and cheers to all that pitched in with opinions 😁

• @Sequencer1 said:
    @skrat Saw your post, haven't had any luck either. Tried sending MIDI from another bank, the Midi Tools plugins, filtering out all but channel 10, multiple Bus plugins (in rare cases these are required to get around several BM3 issues), Route...nothing I tried worked.

Finally I managed to do it with some trial and error. It's super unintuitive: You have to load PA into the 10th pad (yes, the number of pad affects number of MIDI channel it is sending data to loaded AU). Then the drums can be triggered by notes somewhere between C0-C3 (they're not evenly spread and not in order as in PA).

You can make it a bit more convenient and make the 16 pads trigger each drum sound: Set the same link group for each of 16 pads (e.g. number 1), then you can map their root keys to trigger each drum as they follow in PA. If you press one pad, it'll send note to all other pads, but only the 10th containing PA will actually play some sound. You'll need to load some sample to be able to adjust the pad setting (can be empty wav file, or you'll have to mute it's sound).
    Don't forget you have to load PA instance only on the 10th pad.
    Not perfect, requires a bit of extra effort but I am happy it actually works!

• @skrat said:

@Sequencer1 said:
    @skrat Saw your post, haven't had any luck either. Tried sending MIDI from another bank, the Midi Tools plugins, filtering out all but channel 10, multiple Bus plugins (in rare cases these are required to get around several BM3 issues), Route...nothing I tried worked.

Finally I managed to do it with some trial and error. It's super unintuitive: You have to load PA into the 10th pad (yes, the number of pad affects number of MIDI channel it is sending data to loaded AU). Then the drums can be triggered by notes somewhere between C0-C3 (they're not evenly spread and not in order as in PA).

You can make it a bit more convenient and make the 16 pads trigger each drum sound: Set the same link group for each of 16 pads (e.g. number 1), then you can map their root keys to trigger each drum as they follow in PA. If you press one pad, it'll send note to all other pads, but only the 10th containing PA will actually play some sound. You'll need to load some sample to be able to adjust the pad setting (can be empty wav file, or you'll have to mute it's sound).

Awesome! Strange that the single or multi channel mode option under Bank MIDI settings didn't help. I guess it has something to do with how each bank can be in 'pads mode' or 'keys mode', and Pure Acid is bitimbral with a 'keys mode' instrument (303) and a 'pads mode' drumkit (TR drums). Come to think of it, Pure Acid's drums are laid out in 'keys mode'. Confusing. :)

• @Sequencer1 said:

@skrat said:

@Sequencer1 said:

Awesome! Strange that the single or multi channel mode option under Bank MIDI settings didn't help. I guess it has something to do with how each bank can be in 'pads mode' or 'keys mode', and Pure Acid is bitimbral with a 'keys mode' instrument (303) and a 'pads mode' drumkit (TR drums). Come to think of it, Pure Acid's drums are laid out in 'keys mode'. Confusing. :)

The BM3 Midi setup can be confusing because there are global settings and per-bank settings that interact in ways that might not seem intuitive. I am pretty MIDI savvy and if I have been away from BM3 for a while, I have to reacquaint myself.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Sequencer1 said:

@skrat said:

@Sequencer1 said:

The BM3 Midi setup can be confusing because there are global settings and per-bank settings that interact in ways that might not seem intuitive. I am pretty MIDI savvy and if I have been away from BM3 for a while, I have to reacquaint myself.

Curious how other multitimbral AU instruments (like bs-16i) would work in BM3. Doesn't bs-16i's AU plugin have 16 parts, with each assignable to a different MIDI channel? WIth Gadget in advanced MIDI mode, I believe you need to copy and paste its IAA to additional pads for full multitimbrality. At least that's how it worked over a year ago when last tested.

• This is on the desktop but I’m leaving it here for the acid heads. Omri is awesome.

• @gusgranite said:
    Omri is awesome.

+1
    Love his stuff.. I like watching him build from scratch.. and he never disappoints.. always some sinewy thread that ties it all together.. it’s a blast watching him create.. and his ability to somehow hear what he needs before he makes it.. and then dives right in grabbing the exact tool that he needs.. kinda boggles my mind.. pretty cool..

• edited April 2020

@Krupa said:
    That's kinda my take too, that and the fiddlyness of gr16, might try it again today though :smiley:

@wim said:

@Krupa said:

If you think the sequencer in GR-16 is fiddly then I doubt you will like the bass sequencer in Pure Acid. It's got some great generative tools, and as a 303 bass line sequencer, it's good, but as a general purpose sequencer, I don't care for it at all. Others will strongly disagree on that point, I'm sure.

BTW, I don't find GR-16 fiddly in any way, shape, or form. I love it! (And Pure Acid too.)

I second that, GR-16 is not fiddly..

Hope Jim is looking at Drambo’s Auv3 magic... One can only imagine what GR-16 as an Auv3 can do..

• Did anyone ask Jim is he considering to add a second bassline to Pure Acid? Pure Acid is great, but I miss the second bass. I used to play with Rebirth a lot years ago and I have a habit of using two linebass at the same time - then song sounds more complex in my opinion.

• Yep 2 303s is when the magic happens IMO but I'm guessing dev Jim would just say to use 2 X Pure Acid in an AU host or DAW.

• You can also have a separate third one for the drums (or as many as you want). You need to look under ‘Audio Unit Extension’ instead of ‘Inter App Audio’ when loading up your Audiobus/AUM or whatever you are using.

• @RajahP said:
    Nice.. The power of Auv3.. No turning back..

What is this "FD" App, please?