Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AuV3 arpeggiator

What AuV3 arppegiators are worth buying?

Comments

• StepPolyArp.

Hands down

• StepPolyArp gets my vote too.

• Rozeta Arp plus all the stuff you get with Rozeta. But yes also StepPolyArp. Pity they barely expose any parameters for automation.

• edited September 2019

Cubasis has a built-in arp as IAP (more resource efficient as a built-in)

• StepPolyArp is the most valuable app I own. It does things no other arp does, and there's a nice MIDI implementation chart at the back of the manual ;) -!

• @OnfraySin said:
    StepPolyArp.

Hands down

+1

• Seems i have to try steppolyarp...
    Rozetta i allready own, its also quite fun..

• SPA all the way :)

• @MobileMusic said:

I wonder if the arp will ever get midi-out. That would be something!

• Step poly arp or bust

• Also, feed midi FX into each other. 🙌

• Any notes through Cality (never know whether that is the correct spelling)

Modulating the dials gives extra fun and variety.

• So we got SPA, Rozeta, cality...
    How about ALL good midi arps? Want more options... might start a new thread as well.

• edited December 2019

Aphelian
    Ioniarics
    MidiEcho
    Mozaic (via code)
    Thesys (arp-ish)

• edited December 2019

I'd like an AUv3 arppegiator that lets you assign different arpeggio patterns to Pads.

For example. I could hold down a C Major chord on my controller, and then switch the arpeggio patterns while holding down the C chord by pressing the different pads.

Example 2. I could play a progression of chords on my controller, and then press pads to switch the arpeggio patterns, so each chord is played by a different arpeggio.

Ideally. The App would let you assign both a particular chord, and a particular arpeggio to each pad. Then you can play a progression of chords each voiced by it's own unique arpeggio.

Also make the App capable of custom user programmable arpeggios.

Then add a song mode where the user can drag and drop their chord/arpeggio combinations onto a timeline in a way that lets the user play each chord/arpeggio combination for an adjustable length of beats.

I think such an app would be much cooler than what can be done with any piano roll App, because of the speed the user could lay down complex arrangements of arpeggiated patterns of evolving notes, with little effort, and it would offer a means to work in a creative and spontaneous way in real time.

Are there any existing Apps that offer any or all of the above mentioned features?

• @onkey said:

@MobileMusic said:

I wonder if the arp will ever get midi-out. That would be something!

SynthMaster One

• edited December 2019

Shape synth coming soon as Auv3 will be arp and simple step sequencer

• Steppolyarp unit is still on my to grab list, but I’ve been enjoying ioniarics and aphelian a lot.

• @horsetrainer i think most of what you described can be done in Mozaic, and there is an active thread for requesting new patches.

• edited December 2019

I will pay the asking price for desktop ($49 I think) for this on IOS Auv3.. even more..

I guess this is about the 10th time requesting this, Dev... 😉

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@horsetrainer said:
    I'd like an AUv3 arppegiator that lets you assign different arpeggio patterns to Pads.

For example. I could hold down a C Major chord on my controller, and then switch the arpeggio patterns while holding down the C chord by pressing the different pads.

StepPolyArp Unit has 16 pads for this purpose.

Example 2. I could play a progression of chords on my controller, and then press pads to switch the arpeggio patterns, so each chord is played by a different arpeggio.

Yes, it can do this.

Ideally. The App would let you assign both a particular chord, and a particular arpeggio to each pad. Then you can play a progression of chords each voiced by it's own unique arpeggio.

You can do this with StepPolyArp with its sequencer mode. For each pattern you can hold down notes, then press the “Replace by played keys” to set the chord for that pattern. The keys stay with the pattern.

SPA absolutely can do this!

Then add a song mode where the user can drag and drop their chord/arpeggio combinations onto a timeline in a way that lets the user play each chord/arpeggio combination for an adjustable length of beats.

[edit] See later post. There is a song mode. Not this one, but you can You can also send it chords and program changes to switch patterns from any sequencer that supports sending program change messages (Xequence 2, for instance). You can also use something like mfxConvert to change notes or cc’s into program change messages if the sequencer doesn’t support program change.

I think such an app would be much cooler than what can be done with any piano roll App, because of the speed the user could lay down complex arrangements of arpeggiated patterns of evolving notes, with little effort, and it would offer a means to work in a creative and spontaneous way in real time.

Are there any existing Apps that offer any or all of the above mentioned features?

[edit] Except for the song mode, SPA can do all this.

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@RajahP said:
    I will pay the asking price for desktop ($49 I think) for this on IOS Auv3.. even more..

Dayammmm! That would def. be awesome!

• @wim said:

@horsetrainer said:

Yes, it can do this.

You can do this with StepPolyArp with its sequencer mode. For each pattern you can hold down notes, then press the “Replace by played keys” to set the chord for that pattern. The keys stay with the pattern.

Not this one, but you can send it chords and program changes to switch patterns from any sequencer that supports sending program change messages (Xequence 2, for instance). You can also use something like mfxConvert to change notes or cc’s into program change messages if the sequencer doesn’t support program change.

Except for the song mode, SPA can do all this.

Aren't there some Mozaic scripts that can do most of this?

• @wim said:

@RajahP said:

Dayammmm! That would def. be awesome!

I wonder if an AU could do all of that.
    Seems most AU stuff is a limited version of a SA app, when they get updated for AU support.
    I would imagine it would be the same for Nora2. It does way more than any AU I can think of, and actually more than a lot of SA apps, too.
    There are some really deep SA apps as well, but AU... are there any?

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@skiphunt said:

@wim said:

@horsetrainer said:

Yes, it can do this.

Not this one, but you can send it chords and program changes to switch patterns from any sequencer that supports sending program change messages (Xequence 2, for instance). You can also use something like mfxConvert to change notes or cc’s into program change messages if the sequencer doesn’t support program change.

Aren't there some Mozaic scripts that can do most of this?

I haven’t looked. That’s a heck of a lot to try to shoehorn into Mozaic’s UI. I’d be surprised if there is one if it isn’t pretty convoluted to use - at least compared to SPA, which is perfect as far as I can see.

I wouldn’t try it in Mozaic, but there are others way more talented than I that could probably pull it off. I’ll leave the wheel re-inventing to the pros.

• @wim said:

@horsetrainer said:

Yes, it can do this.

Thank's Wim,

Looks like StepPolyArp Unit might be my next App purchase.

Sounds like it should be a really fun App to jam with, if it has the ability to live-play different arpeggio patterns with chords in an improvisational way.

I'll look to see if I can find any youtube videos that show the arpeggio pads in SPA being used.

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

It’s pretty straightforward. There is a row of 16 pads along the bottom of the full screen interface. Touching one of them changes to that pattern. You can then set up your arp for that pattern.

There are two modes “Arp” and “Seq” in Seq mode, you have a pop up that lets you assign chords. You just play the chord and tap the “Replace by played keys” button, and that becomes the chord driving that pattern. It’s saved in the pattern.

In the settings you can choose whether program change messages change presets or change patterns. You can also choose to change patterns immediately or on measures.

Your mind will be blown by the other capabilities of the arp. I really don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

• edited December 2019

StepPolyArp is also one of the only Arps that let you tie notes. It’s great for creating phrases as well as

Same. Note. Duration. Arps.

It also ratchets, with ramp up and down etc.

I like to put Scalar and MidiFiltr after it for added flexibility.

• Step Poly Arp is a permanent resident in my AUM Midi processor channel - along with its sibling - Quantichord ... both are superbly useful and unique ... and they do some extremely interesting things together ... gets even more interesting if you hook Polythemus into the set up and get an ensemble running ... Endless fun and constant surprises.

• @horsetrainer, I was wrong about song mode. B)
    You can set each pattern to chain to the next one after a specified number of repeats. So, it even has song mode.