Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg NanoKey Studio Not Connecting to Gadget, AUM or any iOS synths through USB

Korg NanoKey Studio Not Connecting to Gadget through USB Help!!!!

Hey y’all, I am having to face a cold hard math reality that I have NEVER been able to solve. My NanoKey Studio controller will only connect via Bluetooth and no other way else, to Korg Gadget on iOS.

If it wasn’t for the fact that there seems to be no way that BPM data can’t travel through bluetooth this wouldn’t really be an issue. However I need to be able to recieve midi clock/BPM data to my Nanokey Studio controller.

I don’t know what it is. The Key Studio is getting correct power. I plug it through a USB power source. The white lights are all on. I get no errors that this controller needs more power. All I get is nothing. I have batteries in the damn thing for the blue tooth and the blue tooth works perfectly.

It is clear that nothing on my 2017 iPad Pro sees this controller through USB/direct connection. Not, Gadget, not AUM, non of my synths see this device. Is anyone else having the same issue? I might be having the same problem with my Nanokontrol Studio as well but bluetooth only is fine for that controller. I really need this Key Studio To connect and work through USB.

Please help.

Comments

• Are you using the official Apple camera connection kit?

• In addition, the nanoKEY Studio cannot be used as a USB-MIDI device, even if it is connected to a computer using a USB cable.

This is just a sentence from the manual.

Why not use bluetooth. Just asking as I have a nanokey.

• Sorry read your post. You need midi sync. Arp and stuff. Not sure. Only thing Im seeing is the korg usb midi driver. Not sure if its different to the other software. Not computer savvy really.

• You need a windows machine for the software. Its for windows 10 but if you dont have windows 10. You download the driver software and it rejects. You then download the editor sofware. Then relaunch the driver software. Then click modify. This is the software sorted but you cant connect. On the software theres only option for usb power management for the LEDS and COMMON-midi clock source, auto, internal, external usb. It says to specify battery type also. Alkaline or ni-MH.

• Mine connects via cable, I will now switch off that setting I described to see if it connects.

• Nothing to do with the software. It connects in AUM to Phosphor, phasemaker.

• @sigma79 said:
    In addition, the nanoKEY Studio cannot be used as a USB-MIDI device, even if it is connected to a computer using a USB cable.

Why not use bluetooth. Just asking as I have a nanokey.

Alright, where in the manual does it say it can’t be used as a controller via usb?

Also, the reason I want to connect directly is because there is no way other way to sync the BPM of the KeyStudio to the midi BPM of AUM or Gadget. There is no BPM sync over Bluetooth. Or am I missing something?

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Are you using the official Apple camera connection kit?

I only use official apple stuff.

• @sigma79 said:
    In addition, the nanoKEY Studio cannot be used as a USB-MIDI device, even if it is connected to a computer using a USB cable.

What? This is incorrect.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@sigma79 said:

What? This is incorrect.

Okay so the NanoKey Studio can be used with the usb directly connected to the iPad to control Korg Gadget. That is correct?

I’m really hoping for an answer to this. @Philandering_Bastard , can you tell me how you are getting NanoKey Studio to play notes on Gadget using USB direct connect to the iPad?

• On the software ( which isnt on ipad ) Is the korg editor ( on korg www ) You have to install korg installer first. It says on the korg editor page on korg www. Theres an option to change clock settings but I think you can just connect the cable and use AUM midi grid thing to connect. I could play notes on phosphor and phasmaker and prob any synth. You could check some settings and the cable and also try without a usb hub.

• iOS 13 breaks Bluetooth on the Nanokey Studio though ....

• OMG! I can not believe this. Problem solved.

As it turns out the issue was with me just using any USB cable that looks similar to the one that came with the KeyStudio and KontrolStudio. I guess there are other flavors of USB cables. Just becouse it looks like the one it cam with does not mean it is the same. NOPE!

Korg supplies both Nano Studios with some kind of SPECIALIZED USB cable. There is extra data in these Korg only cables. Luckly I still had one of the cables that came with my Nano Studio gear. Some how I lost the other other one. Great job Korg; for not telling your users that this is some propiritary cable that can only be used on the NanoStudios. Using hot pink or some other neon color would have helped, along with a special instruction insert that explains how and why this kind of cable is different and to NEVER misplace or lose it. But, no Korg made the USB cables black.

Yes once I found the original Korg cable the KeyStudio worked as it should and I was able to send tempo info (you need link to midi to do this) to the controller.

I know I lost one of these cables and I have no idea how to replace it. Like I said before it’s nice that the slider controller works fine in Bluetooth. Don’t need to send BPM info to the mixer slider.
    Anyhow if you got a NanoKey Studio DO NOT lose that USB cable. It is a proprietary item only meant to work with KeyStudio.

• @SMKArtist said:
    Anyhow if you got a NanoKey Studio DO NOT lose that USB cable. It is a proprietary item only meant to work with KeyStudio.

Darn. Wish I'd known that before I didn't know I needed to know it.

• @SMKArtist said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@sigma79 said:

What? This is incorrect.

Okay so the NanoKey Studio can be used with the usb directly connected to the iPad to control Korg Gadget. That is correct?

I’m really hoping for an answer to this. @Philandering_Bastard , can you tell me how you are getting NanoKey Studio to play notes on Gadget using USB direct connect to the iPad?

Sorry if I come across as being confrontational. That is not my intention at all.

The whole Korg Nano series is designed to be USB devices. Bluetooth is a nice bonus but not the main objective.

I connect my Nanostudio (and Nanocontrol) via USB. Enable it under ‘Settings’, enable it within Gadget or any other app and go play.

Could you perhaps tell me your about your setup? Hard to troubleshoot from afar. Really trying to be helpful, not trying to be mean.

• @SMKArtist said:
    OMG! I can not believe this. Problem solved.

As it turns out the issue was with me just using any USB cable that looks similar to the one that came with the KeyStudio and KontrolStudio. I guess there are other flavors of USB cables. Just becouse it looks like the one it cam with does not mean it is the same. NOPE!

Korg supplies both Nano Studios with some kind of SPECIALIZED USB cable. There is extra data in these Korg only cables. Luckly I still had one of the cables that came with my Nano Studio gear. Some how I lost the other other one. Great job Korg; for not telling your users that this is some propiritary cable that can only be used on the NanoStudios. Using hot pink or some other neon color would have helped, along with a special instruction insert that explains how and why this kind of cable is different and to NEVER misplace or lose it. But, no Korg made the USB cables black.

Yes once I found the original Korg cable the KeyStudio worked as it should and I was able to send tempo info (you need link to midi to do this) to the controller.

I know I lost one of these cables and I have no idea how to replace it. Like I said before it’s nice that the slider controller works fine in Bluetooth. Don’t need to send BPM info to the mixer slider.

Again, sorry, but this is incorrect. There is no special cabling. The Korgs use a mini USB connector which can break easily. That’s why you will find micro USB connectors in all modern devices.

That being said, any mini USB to USB cable will do the job. No special Korg juice required. 🤗

DM me if there any questions.

• Sounds like you may have had a faulty cable there. I’m pretty sure there’s nothing proprietary about the ones that come with the controllers.

• Yep, I have to agree this seems like a faulty/non-standard cable issue.
    I’ve used my unit with several different brands of cable with no problems.

• Yes can confirm mixed cables before Studio keys still works.

• Well, I am happy that I have the original cable. However I did some research into what this cable was called. After all my research is seems that the proper or correct cable is a USB 2.0 “Data Cable”.

It appears that I have come across other USB 2.0 cables in my performance bag but they are only “Charging Cables”. This would explain why I got no iOS errors and only the lights lit up, but no sound. Thing is, I didn’t know what charge only cable were even being made. In fact, doesn’t that violate the USB standard or something? Basically I always thought that the days of charging only cables vs Data cables was a thing the early 2000’s. Nope!

The cool thing is the Data cable version can be used to charge as well. Basically you would faster rate of charging your phone.

I just ordered a new USB 2.0 “Data” cable to test this out. If it still doesn’t work, oh well, at least I have a new cable to use for my phone.

• @SMKArtist said:
    Well, I am happy that I have the original cable. However I did some research into what this cable was called. After all my research is seems that the proper or correct cable is a USB 2.0 “Data Cable”.

It appears that I have come across other USB 2.0 cables in my performance bag but they are only “Charging Cables”. This would explain why I got no iOS errors and only the lights lit up, but no sound. Thing is, I didn’t know what charge only cable were even being made. In fact, doesn’t that violate the USB standard or something? Basically I always thought that the days of charging only cables vs Data cables was a thing the early 2000’s. Nope!

The cool thing is the Data cable version can be used to charge as well. Basically you would faster rate of charging your phone.

I just ordered a new USB 2.0 “Data” cable to test this out. If it still doesn’t work, oh well, at least I have a new cable to use for my phone.

True there are charging cables that only have two leads in the cable and there are data cables that have all four leads connected.

I haven’t come across a charging-only type cable in years though.

If you have a multimeter and set it to a “summer” mode, you could test the ends of the connectors to see how many leads there actually are just to be sure.

Most hardware developers will supply the standard data cables with their devices nowadays so usually, you’re able to “mix cables” and there would be no issues. I also thought this was a thing of the 2000’s.

Hope it works out!

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@SMKArtist said:
    Well, I am happy that I have the original cable. However I did some research into what this cable was called. After all my research is seems that the proper or correct cable is a USB 2.0 “Data Cable”.

True there are charging cables that only have two leads in the cable and there are data cables that have all four leads connected.

I haven’t come across a charging-only type cable in years though.

If you have a multimeter and set it to a “summer” mode, you could test the ends of the connectors to see how many leads there actually are just to be sure.

Most hardware developers will supply the standard data cables with their devices nowadays so usually, you’re able to “mix cables” and there would be no issues. I also thought this was a thing of the 2000’s.

Hope it works out!

Thanks Jakob-

Yeah the new fancy USB 2.0 is suppose to be here today. Can’t wait to test.

• I’ve connected my NanoKEY Studio with probably a dozen jus’ plain ol’ USB cables and never had a single issue. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a non-data USB cable. That’s just weird.

• Ya throw that cable away it’s just broken

• I have two of these buggers, one is a Samsung charging cable (!) and the other one was delivered with a cheapo chinese power bank. Both work for charging but not for data.

• Charging cables are just wired up to the positive and negative pinouts to just deliver a charge. The data ones have two more wires in addition to the power. I had this problem with a ps4 controller for like two days before I finally figured it out.

• Yep, that was the issue. Apprently I just had quite a few “charge only” cables. I got my fancy USB 2 Data cable and it worked fine for my KeyStudio.

So make sure your USB 2 is a data cable.

• edited October 2019

• edited August 2021

A few days ago, my Nanokey Studio suddenly appeared offline in its USB mode. I have been using it almost daily without any problems, connecting it easily with the BLE-MIDI app from Korg. Now, all I get is “offline”.

I have the latest update (checked three times on the Korg updater) and have checked three different USB-cables. Still doesn’t work.

However, it DOES work in Bluetooth mode, and the keys DO light up when I put it in USB mode, so the device is not broken as such. But, for precision reasons, I need it to work in USB mode. Bluetooth has too much latency.

I’ve tried to give the iPad a hard reset, also tried forgetting the device in Bluetooth and see if I could re-connect afterwards, I’ve even changed the batteries even though that really shouldn’t be an issue at all…

I’m running out of ideas. Anyone? I have an iPad Air 4 with the latest IOS update.