Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

cykle | advanced pattern sequencer now live

Comments

• edited February 2020

Random functions are always fun things to play with.

On an other subject in the new feature field, from a live jamming perspective, I wish that the time division selector would be more straight forward and not in a poping window with a ok/done button.

a "/" and a "x" button on the bar would be much more fun and quick to tweak.
    Just saying.

• @Philippe said:
    Random functions are always fun things to play with.

On an other subject in the new feature field, from a live jamming perspective, I wish that the time division selector would be more straight forward and not in a poping window with a ok/done button.

a "/" and a "x" button on the bar would be much more fun and quick to tweak.
    Just saying.

definitely concur, great suggestion

• edited March 2020

Hi @cp3 , I just wanted to report few bugs and request some features.

Bug 1:
    When deleting the default pulse pitch & lenght, their signals are still sent over midi in their deleted states.

Bug 2:
    after creating snapshots, UI cannot be scrolled up completely, the snapshot bar is hiding the top lane.

Feature request:
    1- as mentionned above: x and / buttons on button bars instead of pop up menu for time division selection.

2- when creating a CC lane, default is cc74. Could it be 1? and the next automatically 2 and so on?

Very cool app by the way, super fun!

• hi @Philippe, thanks for the bug reports, will fix asap.

• @cp3 said:

@lazyass said:
    Just bought it and looks like it can be my first choice above rozeta and digikeys. Also I'm not sure it's a good idea but with snapshot addition is it possible to add random ratio knob/slider? So you can make your basic patten and then add little random variations without destroying main idea.

yes, I'm considering a global 'mutate' function that slightly alters all lanes within the selected snapshot.

been digging into this a lot more recently.. a big “hellyeah” for auto mutation or at least a mutate button thats visible as an au automation parameter.. many thanks for this great midi machinegun :)

• It's funny, a few days ago I was struggling with insomnia and for fun write on the paper concept of perfect ios sequencer. Yesterday I got Cykle and it has 99% of the features from my list. Also, I like it's slick and fast UI. Corne Driesprong made a stellar work. Only one thing it's missing (in my opinion) is the ability to automatically switch between patterns. Like Rozeta suite. Or I didn't find it?
    P.S. Also I found a little bug. When copying patterns top bar blocks pulses section, so you can't open it again. When I restart AUM, it's ok until I open the pattern bar again.

• hi @lazyass, thanks for the kind words. I can’t exactly reproduce the bug you are describing, could you send me more details in a DM?

• Just installed and played with Cyckle for a bit. It's a great sequencer, and easy to generate a pattern on the fly.
    I'm a bit confused about patterns. You can make a pattern, copy it, chance some values etc., but i want to play the patterns after each other. As i can see now, you can only change a pattern by selecting it. I want a song mode if that's possible.
    One other thing: Selecting another pattern won't finish the sequence of the pattern currently playing. I know that a pattern can consist of different pattern length, but the pitch pattern could be considered as the main pattern length.

• cykle has come a long way! I'd like to see some AUv3 params exposed for automation in hosts such as apeMatrix.

• Yeah AU params would be great on this :)
    Is there a way to change the names of controllers in AU version? I think you can paste a new name in but the keyboard doesn't pop up, so would be useful to allow this somehow.

• @Identor said:
    Just installed and played with Cyckle for a bit. It's a great sequencer, and easy to generate a pattern on the fly.
    I'm a bit confused about patterns. You can make a pattern, copy it, chance some values etc., but i want to play the patterns after each other. As i can see now, you can only change a pattern by selecting it. I want a song mode if that's possible.
    One other thing: Selecting another pattern won't finish the sequence of the pattern currently playing. I know that a pattern can consist of different pattern length, but the pitch pattern could be considered as the main pattern length.

Always very keen on Song Mode.

• edited April 2020

@cp3 : Definitely an upvote from me on any and all randomisation/ mutation functions you might be thinking of adding :) Also, as per @Identor , @JohnnyGoodyear : a way to chain parts into a bona fide song mode would be great. But randomisation first! :)

• I'd settle for AU params being able to select the patterns then you could create a song mode with a separate sequencer

• I have just open this after a while forgotten and just discovered that you can have more than one sequence at once. It's really nice!

I have a couple of questions @cp3 : as every sequence is folded why the + button at the top left? I mean, they could be just stuck together with Pulse, Pitch and Length. That would save us one click. :sunglasses:

Regarding pitch sequence: why is there always a note in every step you open? I find myself deleting those notes most of the time. So, double click again.

And speaking of pitch, I would love more scales or the option to load my own. Maybe one more sequence at the top with 12 steps. All on is a chromatic scale, turn steps on and off and get the scale you want.

Just thinking out loud. Overall I like how this app has developed over time and every time I fire it something interesting comes up. My comments were just to speed up the workflow.

• @Identor said:
    One other thing: Selecting another pattern won't finish the sequence of the pattern currently playing.

yeah, I recently realized this is annoying. will be fixed it in a future update.

@Carnbot said:
    I'd settle for AU params being able to select the patterns then you could create a song mode with a separate sequencer

note that cykle changes snapshots responding to pattern changes, no need to explicitly map it in AUM. I'm not sure how to expose this as AU params otherwise (and I don't see any other AU sequencers that do, e.g., Rozeta) mapping a 0-127 CC range to change snapshots seems clunky..

@Monome said:
    as every sequence is folded why the + button at the top left? I mean, they could be just stuck together with Pulse, Pitch and Length. That would save us one click.

I figured it'd be nice to not have all the sequences visible all the time, to make things cleaner. especially since I plan on adding more over time.

Regarding pitch sequence: why is there always a note in every step you open? I find myself deleting those notes most of the time. So, double click again.

you can't have an empty pitch step, so there has to be a pitch. I'm thinking of adding separate mono- and polyphonic sequences, where mono would be non-multiselect, making it quicker to program monophonic sequences.

• btw, a new update is currently in beta with the following changes:

• add new accidental (sharp/flat) sequence type
    • add new chord inversion sequence type
    • improved MIDI timing accuracy
    • adds MIDI clock output
    • option to select MIDI output channel in AUv3
    • negotiate AUv3 window size with host
    • fixes issue with Link quantum not aligning in standalone version
    • increased maximum step count per sequence to 32
    • fixes cykle playback stopping after interruption (e.g., phone call) in standalone
    • various small bugfixes and stability improvements
  • Wow, looking forward to that update! Thanks for continuing to develop cykle, it's a real gem.

• Nice thanks for the upcoming additions, @cp3 :)

Forgot about PC messages, thanks for adding that. I think perhaps add this info in the side panel as easy to forget. PC messages are much easier to setup with hardware than with other ipad apps, so this is trickier to sequence with other apps although possible :)

AU parameters would give you a choice how to do it. Some apps eg Poly 2 which has a pattern select parameter for cycling through. But as you're only fixed to 8 patterns you could have one AU parameter for each pattern which you could assign a CC/midi note/PC in AUM or another host. Other apps like Riffer you can assign a midi CC to each pattern from 1-16

• @cp3 said:

@Identor said:
    One other thing: Selecting another pattern won't finish the sequence of the pattern currently playing.

yeah, I recently realized this is annoying. will be fixed it in a future update.

@Carnbot said:
    I'd settle for AU params being able to select the patterns then you could create a song mode with a separate sequencer

note that cykle changes snapshots responding to pattern changes, no need to explicitly map it in AUM. I'm not sure how to expose this as AU params otherwise (and I don't see any other AU sequencers that do, e.g., Rozeta) mapping a 0-127 CC range to change snapshots seems clunky..

@Monome said:
    as every sequence is folded why the + button at the top left? I mean, they could be just stuck together with Pulse, Pitch and Length. That would save us one click.

I figured it'd be nice to not have all the sequences visible all the time, to make things cleaner. especially since I plan on adding more over time.

you can't have an empty pitch step, so there has to be a pitch. I'm thinking of adding separate mono- and polyphonic sequences, where mono would be non-multiselect, making it quicker to program monophonic sequences.

Fair enough, @cp3
    It’s still a great app. Looking forward the updates.
    Mono/poly sequences could be a nice thing.

Regarding display of sequences maybe I just can create a template with the ones I use. I will give it a try.

• @cp3 said:
    btw, a new update is currently in beta with the following changes:

• add new accidental (sharp/flat) sequence type
    • add new chord inversion sequence type
    • improved MIDI timing accuracy
    • adds MIDI clock output
    • option to select MIDI output channel in AUv3
    • negotiate AUv3 window size with host
    • fixes issue with Link quantum not aligning in standalone version
    • increased maximum step count per sequence to 32
    • fixes cykle playback stopping after interruption (e.g., phone call) in standalone
    • various small bugfixes and stability improvements

That all looks very nice... This is a really nice step sequencer and it keeps improving. So thank you.

• Awesome, can't wait! Even though my wish list #1 feature isn't there...
    Should I still wish for instant time division/multiplication buttons on button bar?🤞🤞

• version 1.3 is out! 🚀

• @cp3 said:
    version 1.3 is out! 🚀

Thank you Sir :)

• @cp3 I always look forward to the updates.. the surprise of a new sequence module is a bonus every time.. a new way to play.. always fun! Thank you for the continued surprises..

• @cp3 great that you are so committed to updating this app. Any chance of more scale options?

• thanks, everyone! @Gavinski yeah, more scales are on the todo-list!

• Cool to have more scales. Did I miss something? Where is the new chords thing!? Havent found an option to send out chords yet. I probably miss something ;)

• There's an invert module, which inverts notes or chords. So no actual chord module, you still have to input manually.
    A Chorder would be a good module though, I like the Thesys way of handling chords, could be like that :)

• @Carnbot said:
    There's an invert module, which inverts notes or chords. So no actual chord module, you still have to input manually.
    A Chorder would be a good module though, I like the Thesys way of handling chords, could be like that :)

Thanks man, now I get it! I knew I was missing something

• @DCJ said:
    The scale can be set per instance now! Awesome! There’s a bug with the labels though. No matter what scale you set it to, the labels show the notes according to the C major scale. @cp3

Looks like adding new snapsots have the same issue?