Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GarageBand iOS recorded tracks disappearing.

Hi all sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, but I’m having a problem.

I updated from iOS 11 to iOS 12 on my iPad Air 2 last week so I could use import midi files with GarageBand. All seemed ok until I started trying to record audio into GarageBand as I have always done before (been using iOS GarageBand since owing an old iPad 2).

When I close the session to save it 1-4 sometimes more recorded track recordings disappear the track still there it’s the sample that deletes.

Has anyone had anything similar, it’s the most recent iOS 12 and GarageBand up to date.

Thanks

Comments

• If you open the project as a folder, Open Containing Files, on a Mac, you can see a folder with audio files. Try that?

• Cheers I’m using iOS GarageBand on my iPad Air 2 I don’t own a Mac. I spotted that when I record audio in to GB as one track then cut that up, duplicate and add different sections to the new tracks, then save, this is when it deletes the tracks. It’s making it unusable as a daw.

I use GB simply to sequence wavs from other apps, I record these other apps into GB in real time then sequence them. Never had a problem until I updated to iOS 12 and the latest GB.

• I figured it out it’s when I split a track and save the track it auto deletes all the track.

• edited September 2019

It’s weird and doesn’t happen to me. You should try to reinstall GB.

Also if you files use app and copy GB project in AudioShare you will be able to see all recorded files there.

• edited September 2019

@BugOld said:
    I figured it out it’s when I split a track and save the track it auto deletes all the track.

ZenBeats, formerly Stagelight is having the same issue. That’s kinda scary in what it may imply...

edit: by “same issue”, I mean the disappearing audio, not necessarily the method to reproduce.

• I wonder if that’s another iOS bug introduced to 12.4.1

• Cheers all for replying, I tried deleting GB and reinstalling it made no difference. It only started happening after I updated to from iOS 11 to 12.4.1

• I recorded the screen to show apple

I submitted it but suspect they just advise me to factory reset my iPad and start again.

• I use audiobus 2 2.4.1 to record audio from other apps into GB, I never had the problem before with iOS 11.

• Any of you tried iOS 13.1 on an iPad Air 2? I’m reading it slows the device down, but strongly suspect apple won’t fix bugs in 12 now?

• edited September 2019

@BugOld said:
    I recorded the screen to show apple —- I submitted it but suspect they just advise me to factory reset my iPad and start again.

Are you using IAA to record those tracks? If so try. New project without IAA and see it the behavior continues

• @BugOld said:
    I recorded the screen to show apple

I submitted it but suspect they just advise me to factory reset my iPad and start again.

Is it set to save in the cloud? If so, do you have the same problem if you turn iCloud off?

• Reading online looks like GB 12.4.2 fixes stability improvements, but only on iOS 13 I’m installing now will update after trying it.

• Hi realdawei thanks for the idea, so I installed iOS 13.1 it feels quite responsive, and does look nice GB gets a massive update, but guess what it still does the same hit split save and the whole track disappears. So I tried your idea tried recording other apps directly into GB using Inter-App Audio instead of audiobus and that seems to of fixed it, I close the screen and it seems to not delete the track.

• @BugOld said:
    Hi realdawei thanks for the idea, so I installed iOS 13.1 it feels quite responsive, and does look nice GB gets a massive update, but guess what it still does the same hit split save and the whole track disappears. So I tried your idea tried recording other apps directly into GB using Inter-App Audio instead of audiobus and that seems to of fixed it, I close the screen and it seems to not delete the track.

I see thanks for the update

• @BugOld said:
    Hi realdawei thanks for the idea, so I installed iOS 13.1 it feels quite responsive, and does look nice GB gets a massive update, but guess what it still does the same hit split save and the whole track disappears. So I tried your idea tried recording other apps directly into GB using Inter-App Audio instead of audiobus and that seems to of fixed it, I close the screen and it seems to not delete the track.

I think @Michael would be interested

• I am indeed! I’ll pass this along to the GB team

• Cheers all this is a great site, update 2 I tried iOS 13 and GB update fully today, yes audiobus and GB is a no go, anything I record from apps using it into GB and then use split when the track saved it deletes the whole track, using inter-app audio definitely an almost perfect fix, but noticed after using the split then while saving it has deleted all the track after the split, but then after opening and copy / pasting the track back in it’s fine. Another annoying problem with audiobus when recording apps into GB no hissing in the silent sections of the audio, using inter-app I noticed hiss in silent sections, 2019 still getting hiss, fixed by manually setting the noise level, why is this not automated?

• In reply to espiegel123 im saving to the iPad not iCloud, originally it was to iCloud but while troubleshooting this I disabled that option to verify.

• I just tried making a track and even while using inter-app when saving it randomly deletes sections or whole recorded track.

• Hiya, I’ve just had the same issue, it has happened before but this time I lost the very first audio recording which the entire project is based on. (GarageBand on iOS)

I was going to ask ‘ Is there any way I can ‘abandon’ the current version of the project?’

It’s still open, I fear if I close it I’m scuppered, but I’ve just looked at the file and it auto saved already without the audio (judging by the thumbnail). I’m screwed, aren’t I?

So this will probably be a post to vent, and warning to anyone else.

I would give up all of today’s editing just to get that audio back. The project was stored locally on my iPad, the previous errors occurred in complex projects, and because this one was simple I stupidly didn’t duplicate it before I started working This will have to be my default mode of operation now, but it ruins the simplicity of use I came to iOS for :(

Next stop is see if I can dig it out of an old iPad backup on my MBP, I hope you can browse them.

In case anyone follows up this sort of thing, I did split the track, then created a new section where I was editing midi. When I’d finished I went back to the other section, the audio was gone and I’ve gone back through the undo history to the beginning, no joy :(

• @Souper said:
    Hiya, I’ve just had the same issue, it has happened before but this time I lost the very first audio recording which the entire project is based on. (GarageBand on iOS)

I was going to ask ‘ Is there any way I can ‘abandon’ the current version of the project?’

It’s still open, I fear if I close it I’m scuppered, but I’ve just looked at the file and it auto saved already without the audio (judging by the thumbnail). I’m screwed, aren’t I?

So this will probably be a post to vent, and warning to anyone else.

I would give up all of today’s editing just to get that audio back. The project was stored locally on my iPad, the previous errors occurred in complex projects, and because this one was simple I stupidly didn’t duplicate it before I started working This will have to be my default mode of operation now, but it ruins the simplicity of use I came to iOS for :(

Next stop is see if I can dig it out of an old iPad backup on my MBP, I hope you can browse them.

In case anyone follows up this sort of thing, I did split the track, then created a new section where I was editing midi. When I’d finished I went back to the other section, the audio was gone and I’ve gone back through the undo history to the beginning, no joy :(

Here's what I can try and guide you through.
    Before you close the Garageband project, try and make a blank track, and merge that so it creates an internal copy. (Copy1)

Look for (Copy 1) in your Files folder, and copy it to Audioshare.
    Open Audioshare and check for the Garageband project. Check the Media folder (or freeze files.nosync) and you might find the audio there.

• First thank you very much for answering, I didn’t know merge did that. Unfortunately it won’t merge with the original track because it says there is no audio or loop. Out of desperation I created a 3rd audio track, recorded 1sec of audio and merged that with the 2nd (blank) audio track, and sure enough I got a copy (Yay!)

You’ve also given me an insight into the power of AudioShare, again thanks so much for that (you can guess where this is going). Unfortunately I’ve been through all the files/folders and it’s gone. I can see a folder called Recording which was created on the date of the recording but it is empty.

I’ve already gone through shock, anger, skipped denial and bargaining and am in wobble chin mode at the moment so I should be fine shortly, thanks again <3

• @Souper - All good. If you're looking for more relevant articles or advanced tips with Garageband, check out my YouTube page at youtube.com/seonnthaproducer

I know I'm getting a lot of heat with my recent post about Patreon, which I will address in a video soon, but I did make a ton of tutorials on unorthodox ways of using iOS apps. For now, I've briefly looked into my main 4 free apps (GrooveBox , Blocs Wave, Launchpad, and Garageband) but I'll soon be expanding a little to some other apps.

Take care, stay safe.

#SEONN