Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Let’s not Forget about BeatHawk

edited September 2019 in General App Discussion

With the great Drum machines released lately, let’s not forget that BeatHawk is also a beast.
I just used it today after a while.
It works in Good in Cubasis as long as you don’t touch anything in Cubasis and just play with BeatHawk.
And I can say, it still has some advantages on the new guys.
They are all great.

“Final” version just a lil bit of arrangement to be done.
LayR adds some nice ambience to the sound.👌🏾

«13

Comments

  • Not the least of which is the outstanding library.

  • Beathawk,is really good
    It could be AMAZiNG with a few updates (better sample editing/slicing, stuff like that)
    So much potential, come on UVI!

  • @ruggedsmooth said:
    Beathawk,is really good
    It could be AMAZiNG with a few updates (better sample editing/slicing, stuff like that)
    So much potential, come on UVI!

    Yeah definitely.

  • edited September 2019

    BeatHawk is my go to bread n butter for real instruments in BM3. I honestly got my start with hip hop with BH back in 2017 and am super appreciative of the standalone app for that (quickly abandoned when I got BM3 that summer tho!)

    I’ve been dipping back into its sequencer a hair more as it’s my only AU drum machine I reach for in AUM (can’t get Rozeta x0x and 4pockets Chameleon to play nice yet)
    I find the BeatHawk sequencer nice and groovy, sounds great for hip hop and trap beats. Swing ain’t no BM3 but it’s also much better than the awful unmusical swing from another app I use all the time

    BeatHawk song mode is pretty cool too ,easy to build up from a pile of patterns

  • @ruggedsmooth said:
    Beathawk,is really good
    It could be AMAZiNG with a few updates (better sample editing/slicing, stuff like that)
    So much potential, come on UVI!

    UVI don't really seem to give a shit in updating Beathawk's features. That said, at least they give us regular compatibility and bugfix updates to keep it running smooth. And the library of sounds they have is MASSIVE and it works great as an AU rompler in Nanostudio 2 (and other AU-compatible apps). It works on my iPhone and my iPad. And, best of all, it works smoothly on my Bluetooth headphones.

    My only concern is for them to release a pack with playable saxophones and a pack with playable South American flute music instruments ala....

  • @Gaia.Tree said:

    BeatHawk song mode is pretty cool too ,easy to build up from a pile of patterns

    Agree with all you say and especially this...

  • Beathawk still has great features like timestretch, envelope per pad, file manager which works pretty well.

    I always found it a bit buggy but seems much better now

  • @jwmmakerofmusic said:

    And the library of sounds they have is MASSIVE and it works great as an AU rompler in Nanostudio 2 (and other AU-compatible apps). It works on my iPhone and my iPad.

    BeatHawk as a rompler is really great! In AUM you can use one BeatHawk instance for 16 instruments by loading each instrument on a different pad and sending the MIDI on different channels.

    Unfortunately, NS2 can only send MIDI to AUs on channel 1... so you need a BeatHawk instance for each instrument. Really hope NS2 fixes that in the next update (whenever that will be!).

    Does anyone know if you can send MIDI to AUs on different channels in Cubasis?

  • I use Beathawk with Cubasis while Beatmaker 3 or iMPC are not getting updates with new file systems. It is good enough. But of course it could be better.

  • Bump for UVI

    Come on, develop this baby into a beast ;-)

  • edited September 2019

    I would also add some moments:
    We do not have any drum-modes in Cubasis piano roll so I would like to use Beathawk for drums. Also it is simple to use it's own interface to make own drum projects, record simple samples. So I make patterns, arrange them through "Song mode".
    But when I use Song mode in Cubasis it looses time marker when I start song not from the start. Is there a way to fix it?

  • BeatHawk and RC275... the best acoustics available... both from UVI.

  • I use BH daily. Outstanding!

  • @LinearLineman said:
    BeatHawk and RC275... the best acoustics available... both from UVI.

    Is RC275 the same as the one on pc? Same featureS?

  • Maybe it’s time for a, ‘What do you want in BeatHawk 3’ thread..

  • Better sampler and editor and a mixer mode With more fx. Beathawk is great. It could be a power house if they show it some love.

    It would be a dream to use it in gadget but that’s another convo.

  • @Paa89, reasonably close since footprint a lot smaller for iOS. Also finer adjustments for velocity curve and mic placement not present. However, string res, good EQ and timbre control. It works for me very well.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    @Paa89, reasonably close since footprint a lot smaller for iOS. Also finer adjustments for velocity curve and mic placement not present. However, string res, good EQ and timbre control. It works for me very well.

    I see you know a lot about sounds.☺️
    If I sample keysape, note by note and import into AudioLayer, would I get the same sound quality as RC275?

  • That I don’t know @Paa89, but I bet @McD does, and will be here soon.

  • edited September 2019

    Discovering BeatHawk and LayR after months of not using them due to some glitch in Cubasis.
    The only work around I find is to not move the mixer fades or not touch midi editing in Cubasis.
    As you may notice in the video, around 5 minutes, I tried adding an insert effect, as soon as I tap on the “e” on the mixer, the whole track started playing off beat, a fix might come from what Lars said but when is a mistero 🤣🤣
    Ps Eventide Blackhole is awesome on synths 🔥👌🏾

  • @Paa89 said:

    @LinearLineman said:
    @Paa89, reasonably close since footprint a lot smaller for iOS. Also finer adjustments for velocity curve and mic placement not present. However, string res, good EQ and timbre control. It works for me very well.

    I see you know a lot about sounds.☺️
    If I sample keysape, note by note and import into AudioLayer, would I get the same sound quality as RC275?

    I would say no. I’ve used main stage, and sample robot to try and migrate vast vst libraries to iPad. They are never quite the same as the source because each engine has its own thing going on with parameters etc.

    The ‘quality’ will be there from the single samples, but the parameter adjustments from keyscape (whatever those are) won’t be reflected in audiolayer I would assume. So it will ‘play’ differently. Also the various velocity curves would need to be sampled and I don’t know audiolayers velocity limitations. Anyways, you’d have a good approximation but it won’t be 1:1 but for most would probably be ‘good enough’

  • edited September 2019

    Thanks @jwmmakerofmusic ... I had seen the first (you posted I think) but not the rest. Everything is so fresh and freewheeling... very Carlos Castenada (I know, wrong country... but still) And love the June Taylor Dancers!

  • edited September 2019

    @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @jwmmakerofmusic ... I had seen the first (you posted I think) but not the rest. Everything is so fresh and freewheeling... very Carlos Castenada (I know, wrong country... but still) And love the June Taylor Dancers!

    Me too. I love the storyline as well.

    1. Guy finds beautiful lady.
    2. Guy thinks lady is cheating on him.
    3. Guy gets shit-faced off of a traditional Ecuadorian drink.
    4. Turns out, the other dude was the lady's brother, and both the guy and the lady lived happily ever after.

    The Otavalo Opera is a beautiful work of art.

  • edited September 2019

    I like the sounds I've heard so far in Beathawk, but i've been unable to figure out how make even the most basic pattern. I've been able to make beats right away on Gadget and other Korg apps, Elastic Drums, and Stroke Machine. SunVox required viewing a couple of tutorial videos - perhaps the UI is just too different.

    I need to watch a couple of tutorial videos at least before I'll start using it more.

  • @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Not the least of which is the outstanding library.

    Their outstanding library is matched by their equally slow or non response to customer query/support questions . That’s my opinion only though so I may be in the minority

  • I contacted UVI twice and I had very prompt and good service. I had the same great service from Auria support. But I can’t say the same for Zmors who never replied when I mailed them about Zmors EQ freezing Auria render. Is the Zmors guys in this forum?

  • @GovernorSilver said:
    I like the sounds I've heard so far in Beathawk, but i've been unable to figure out how make even the most basic pattern. I've been able to make beats right away on Gadget and other Korg apps, Elastic Drums, and Stroke Machine. SunVox required viewing a couple of tutorial videos - perhaps the UI is just too different.

    I need to watch a couple of tutorial videos at least before I'll start using it more.

    It’s the easiest amongst all the Oder drum machines.
    What type if difficulties are you facing?

  • @ipadbeatmaking said:

    @Paa89 said:

    @LinearLineman said:
    @Paa89, reasonably close since footprint a lot smaller for iOS. Also finer adjustments for velocity curve and mic placement not present. However, string res, good EQ and timbre control. It works for me very well.

    I see you know a lot about sounds.☺️
    If I sample keysape, note by note and import into AudioLayer, would I get the same sound quality as RC275?

    I would say no. I’ve used main stage, and sample robot to try and migrate vast vst libraries to iPad. They are never quite the same as the source because each engine has its own thing going on with parameters etc.

    The ‘quality’ will be there from the single samples, but the parameter adjustments from keyscape (whatever those are) won’t be reflected in audiolayer I would assume. So it will ‘play’ differently. Also the various velocity curves would need to be sampled and I don’t know audiolayers velocity limitations. Anyways, you’d have a good approximation but it won’t be 1:1 but for most would probably be ‘good enough’

    Thanks very much for taking your time to explain..iil just wait and get RC275 when it’s on sale then

  • @GovernorSilver said:
    I like the sounds I've heard so far in Beathawk, but i've been unable to figure out how make even the most basic pattern.

    Doug is your friend:

  • @Paa89 said:
    If I sample keysape, note by note and import into AudioLayer, would I get the same sound quality as RC275?

    Probably not. You can get good sounds but a great piano App also has a lot fo cool extras
    to make it sound better like "round robin" of samples, release note samples, sympathetic resonance when the sustain pedal and held notes are played.

    But for multi-track projects you will easily get a piano that's "good enough" and you can also
    create AudioLayer instruments that are light weight and you can run more instances than the killer Piano apps.

    But having said that the Piano choices in many other products are also "good enough".

    When you want the best overall piano for IOS you can't beat RC275. The Best Piano for me is
    the Crudebyte's Colossus Piano but I only use it for solo playing. It crashes in any AUv3 host.
    It has an IAA version and might be a little more stable but at 13GB I keep offloading it from my iPad. I keep a full version with 24GB of samples on my iPhone for that midnight "play the piano" sessions. The "Moonlight So-NOT-A" Piano Player. I can record the iPhone into any DAW and it's more than Good Enough.

    The Korg Module "American Model D" is as good as the RC275 but is only an IAA app.

    I don't record a lot of piano playing so for practical DAW advice @LinearLineman has
    tried "almost" everything and found the RC275 in Cubasis to be the sweet combination to
    render a great sound. Then he bought a $3000 Kawai synth and it's a bit better yet. So you $36 (or $18 on sale) RC275 is it.

    Let me know if you try the AudioLayer "build a perfect piano" journey. It's easier with SynthJacker to make the samples in a big folder with the right names to load fast in AudioLayer but still prone to making AudioLayer crash. I settled on 5 layers (Velocities = 20,40,60,80,100) and notes every 4 1/2 steps. I sample from a couple octave above the lowest A and a couple octaves short of the highest C. It creates somewhere around 80 files.
    I used the 10 second max setting in SynthJacker.

    I've made a lot of "good enough" in this way and surprise, surprise... I can only run 1-2 in AUM at one time without crashing AudioLayer. So, using fewer layers and having less RAM required is important for sampling this "High Fidelity" apps into AudioLayer.

    I have pulled some good sounds out of BeatHawk, iSymphonic, RC275, etc. They are all flawed clones of the original but definitely good enough. Make enough and you'll find AudioLayer is consuming 20+GB.

    There's a sweet spot between resource use and "good enough". It's really a lot of work but
    some have climbed that hill. I still had to buy every app to make a bad clone. But I was hoping for massively parallel configs in AUM... It still falls over with 3-4 tracks.

    For the best possible solution to date follow this recipe:

    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33481/secrets-of-the-ios-masters-scottvanzandt-and-nanostudio2-no-auv3-instruments

    It only takes a few week to do the work.

Sign In or Register to comment.