Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

About Atom, Audioveek, where we are and what's next

2»

Comments

• @blueveek said:

To be clear, me and Bram did indeed take a calculated risk when we decided to create inter-plugin instance communication the way we did, but that's not what I'm currently facing with Atom.

The problem in this specific situation is very different technically, albeit similarly "risky" in terms of deciding to use unofficial/undocumented features, this time in regards to the language used (Swift). More details in the footnotes [1] and [2] of the OP. AFAIK this isn't a widespread issue in the AUv3 world, so I wouldn't be too worried about your favorite AUs needing a rewrite... for now :)

Thanks both for clarifying this.

• @dendy said:
    .deleted, just boring moaning about swift was here. :trollface:

hihi

• Nice to have you back, and good luck with the rewrite of Atom :)

• edited September 2019

@espiegel123 said:

You probably know this, but if not, the AudioKit Pro folks pioneered using Swift for audio/MIDI apps... I wonder if they would have knowledge to share that might be helpful.

Admittedly, Swift and robust audio apps is still a challenge. Digital D1 is almost all Swift. And, we struggle daily to find fixes and fine tune. As soon as we have clean code, we'll definitely share it. Right now, we're having difficulty, like everyone else...

• @analog_matt said:

@espiegel123 said:

You probably know this, but if not, the AudioKit Pro folks pioneered using Swift for audio/MIDI apps... I wonder if they would have knowledge to share that might be helpful.

Admittedly, Swift and robust audio apps is still a challenge. Digital D1 is almost all Swift. And, we struggle daily to find fixes and fine tune. As soon as we have clean code, we'll definitely share it. Right now, we're having difficulty, like everyone else...

Tx for the insight.

• Really great news!

@blueveek I hope "start/stop by MIDI notes/CC" and "multiple pattern, selectable with MIDI notes like in Rozeta Cells/XOX/Rythm/Bassline" is on one of your post-its.

• @divmod said:
    Really great news!

@blueveek I hope "start/stop by MIDI notes/CC" and "multiple pattern, selectable with MIDI notes like in Rozeta Cells/XOX/Rythm/Bassline" is on one of your post-its.

Absolutely.

• type 0 midi import would be outstanding...

a chord sequencer, such as is found in numerology, would be really something. numerology has a working demo if you care to have a look...

• Appreciate the update! I can sympathize with being incredibly busy. I bought this when it came out but just got around to working with it... And I'm a bit stymied. Anyone using it to create full tracks and if so, how? I created some parts and wanted to chain them together (i.e. clip launching) but guess that feature didn't get completed yet. Then I went to put it all together in one track and quickly ran into the 40-bar limit. Thought I'd take my midi elsewhere to complete the structure but no export, either. Help meeeeeee....! :lol:

• @oddSTAR said:
    Appreciate the update! I can sympathize with being incredibly busy. I bought this when it came out but just got around to working with it... And I'm a bit stymied. Anyone using it to create full tracks and if so, how? I created some parts and wanted to chain them together (i.e. clip launching) but guess that feature didn't get completed yet. Then I went to put it all together in one track and quickly ran into the 40-bar limit. Thought I'd take my midi elsewhere to complete the structure but no export, either. Help meeeeeee....! :lol:

When I have something in Atom that I want to extend into an arrangement, I just put Xequence 2 into the output position in Audiobus and record Atom’s midi output into it.

• You have touched a lot of users @blueveek! I am still grateful for your Midi Tools keyboard splitter. It made a huge difference for me.

• @blueveek said:

@divmod said:
    Really great news!

Absolutely.

:-D

• @oddSTAR said:
    Appreciate the update! I can sympathize with being incredibly busy. I bought this when it came out but just got around to working with it... And I'm a bit stymied. Anyone using it to create full tracks and if so, how? I created some parts and wanted to chain them together (i.e. clip launching) but guess that feature didn't get completed yet. Then I went to put it all together in one track and quickly ran into the 40-bar limit. Thought I'd take my midi elsewhere to complete the structure but no export, either. Help meeeeeee....! :lol:

As far as I can tell, Atom is designed for making short MIDI loops to trigger parts in a host that doesn't have a sequencer built in. It's for playing with ideas that can be further developed elsewhere. If one is trying to build fully developed compositions, or anything even close to that in a host that needs Atom, then I think it's the wrong tool for the job.

I have Atom, but tend to use Xequence externally instead. It would be handier if Atom could export MIDI, but it may be easier to just record its output than mess with MIDI files.

• @wim said:

When I have something in Atom that I want to extend into an arrangement, I just put Xequence 2 into the output position in Audiobus and record Atom’s midi output into it.

Great idea, I'll try that. Thanks, @wim !

• @lovadamusic said:

As far as I can tell, Atom is designed for making short MIDI loops to trigger parts in a host that doesn't have a sequencer built in. It's for playing with ideas that can be further developed elsewhere. If one is trying to build fully developed compositions, or anything even close to that in a host that needs Atom, then I think it's the wrong tool for the job.

Seems you're right about it not being the right tool at the moment but it does seem like the developer's goal is to get it there with features like clip launching, extending the bar limit and midi export on the roadmap. Unfortunately that sounds like it might take a while if he has to rebuild the entire app so I'll find another option for now. Too bad because creating in AUM is Somehow more fun than working in most other sequencers or DAWs imo. Thanks!

• I love Atom without reservation. I had no idea there features missing. This app completely expanded my AUM jam sessions. It is indispensable for me.

(Although I would like to be able to insert a bar into a clip. And I would like to be able to launch a clip at will.)

• @oddSTAR said:

@lovadamusic said:

Seems you're right about it not being the right tool at the moment but it does seem like the developer's goal is to get it there with features like clip launching, extending the bar limit and midi export on the roadmap. Unfortunately that sounds like it might take a while if he has to rebuild the entire app so I'll find another option for now. Too bad because creating in AUM is Somehow more fun than working in most other sequencers or DAWs imo. Thanks!

Fortunately, I really enjoy using Xequence 2, and I'm not sure I would prefer it as an AUv3.

Atom could turn into more than it is and, apparently, that's the plan. I hope you find a good solution in the meantime.

• @oddSTAR said:

@lovadamusic said:

I am not sure if clip launching was going to be added to Atom or if he was planning on a companion app that was a clip launcher.

• @espiegel123 said:

@oddSTAR said:

@lovadamusic said:

I am not sure if clip launching was going to be added to Atom or if he was planning on a companion app that was a clip launcher.

I asked Victor about this a few months ago and he said ‘both’. He also said that he’s working hard on it, it’s progressing nicely, but no release date.

• @frond said:

@espiegel123 said:

@oddSTAR said:

@lovadamusic said:

I asked Victor about this a few months ago and he said ‘both’. He also said that he’s working hard on it, it’s progressing nicely, but no release date.

Thanks for the update... I really thought it had been shelved.. An absolute essential..

• Hello BlueVeek,
    Any news of the of the new atom or any beta available soon?

• @Jeezs said:
    Hello BlueVeek,
    Any news of the of the new atom or any beta available soon?

Not yet, I think it needs a few more months of polish. But given how much you've helped out with the first MIDI Tools betas, you'll be among the first to find out ;)

• @blueveek How is developing the 'new' Atom going? Any news?