Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Did StageLight just die, by hand of Roland?

Comments

• @wim and @Telstar5 It seems it did not die but got moved to Roland and also got a new name?

Most of the time when the original company of a product "dies" and gets bought by another company, that shows that the original company did not run well.

And the new company often just rips apart what they can use and throw away the rest.

This sounds like "dying" to me, but you are right in that we need to wait what exactly happens to StageLight....
    But this is why I added a question mark to the subject.

Any idea how to change the title?
    It still is, what I fear will happen.

• And BTW, it realy seems that StageLight is gone from the App Store!

That mean, most customers will not even know that it got bought and renamed by Roland!

That's the worst way this could be done, ever.

Of course they need to push an update of StageLight to the AppStore, explaining what happened and how to handle this.

I wanted to write that I never before saw such a stupidity, but truth is, such things get more and more common.
    Poor planet....

• They got bought by Roland for big bucks im sure. Cant blame them.

With that said, i think this will open up the iOS world for Roland synths which i am a big fan of.

• Stagelight didn’t die, just at new address, under a new alias. It’s the same team, who will probably keep restlessly updating and adding features

• " Did StageLight just die, by hand of Roland? "

Er, no.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

@pauly said:
    Well, it's not exactly new.
    It's sad that Roland, who were such pioneers of electronic music hardware, are unable to design their own software.

Sometimes it’s more cost effective for companies to acquire rather than develop. It’s probably a win for both parties. Actually, all three. The Stagelight developers, Roland, and the Stagelight (now Roland) customers.

I don’t see the negative here.

Exactly right.

Roland virtually invented the drum machine, the groovebox, and the polyphonic performance synth. No shade on Stagelight, which is a great app, but IMO this is like Apple saying 'we can't be bothered designing computers any more, lets just buy designs off Dell.'

• edited September 2019

Roland virtually invented the drum machine, the groovebox, and the polyphonic performance synth. No shade on Stagelight, which is a great app, but IMO this is like Apple saying 'we can't be bothered designing computers any more, lets just buy designs off Dell.'

I think this is a fair point and does say something about Roland these days. That being said, I for one would rather see them acquire and develop a good product than design a crappy one (a distinct possibility here).

• Roland backstage pass is region locked to about 20 regions. If you're not in those regions, it's not certain ZenBeats will be available. This includes me in Korea.
    You can find the regions here. If not listed then not available.
    https://www.roland.com/backstage/#/signup

• @pauly said:
    No shade on Stagelight, which is a great app, but IMO this is like Apple saying 'we can't be bothered designing computers any more, lets just buy designs off Dell.'

Well, Apple did buy iTunes and GarageBand from other companies. Nothing wrong with that.

This gets Roland into the market quickly (with an established users base).

• @Simon said:

@pauly said:
    No shade on Stagelight, which is a great app, but IMO this is like Apple saying 'we can't be bothered designing computers any more, lets just buy designs off Dell.'

Well, Apple did buy iTunes and GarageBand from other companies. Nothing wrong with that.

This gets Roland into the market quickly (with an established users base).

Yep, hard to imagine life without iTunes.

• edited September 2019

@pauly said:

I'm guessing that is sarcasm. :)

But iTunes was pretty important in the history of iPods, iPhones and iPads. I still download all my apps in iTunes so I have a copy of them on my Mac.

And for many non-expert users iTunes is still fine as a music playing app.

I had the original app "Soundjam" and was upset when Apple bought it. But it turned out that they added a lot to Soundjam/iTunes and made it better, so you never know - Roland might improve StageLight.

• @Simon said:

@pauly said:

I'm guessing that is sarcasm. :)

But iTunes was pretty important in the history of iPods, iPhones and iPads. I still download all my apps in iTunes so I have a copy of them on my Mac.

And for many non-expert users iTunes is still fine as a music playing app.

I had the original app "Soundjam" and was upset when Apple bought it. But it turned out that they added a lot to Soundjam/iTunes and made it better, so you never know - Roland might improve StageLight.

Capital punishment and iTunes. That’s two things we disagree on! 🤣

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Stagelight didn’t die, just at new address, under a new alias. It’s the same team, who will probably keep restlessly updating and adding features

Well for me it's dead. Since India isn't one of the listed regions Roland backstage exists at. I can't create an account even if I want to :( they don't want me money.

• @gusgranite said:

Two and counting... :)

• @Simon said:

@gusgranite said:

Two and counting... :)

Haha. Seriously though, having tried to support iTunes in my early days of IT I can honestly say I have never seen a piece of software confuse so many users to the point that they accidentally wipe their music library while trying to sync it. Which is about the worst thing music library software can possibly do when you think about it. It used to happen all the time.

• @tja, you’re a really smart guy, but your overwhelming pessimism is clouding your logic. Also, I guess you don’t understand much about business.

Does it make sense to you that Roland would spend their money to purchase a failing product only to kill it off? Do you go buy expired meat at the grocery store so that you can throw it away? Do you go to the auto scrap yard and buy wrecked automobiles to proudly park in your driveway?

So, the thinking process at Roland must have been. “Oh look, there’s a product and company that is doing really poorly. Why don’t we spend a bunch of money to buy it and re-launch it under our brand name so that when it dies an embarrassing death it’ll totally look like we screwed up.” Uh. Right.

Besides that, the product is already improved. Why would they invest in improving it if they were just going to kill it off. Companies do, rarely, buy competing products to kill them off. But Roland has no such competing product.

Thinking the glass is half empty is one thing, but you’ve gone to thinking no matter how much you pour into a glass the more empty it’s going to get. B)

Cheer up Eeyore, my friend, if that’s possible for you. ;)

(Sorry, don’t take me seriously when I poke fun at you. We’re just such polar opposite thinkers that I just can’t help myself sometimes.)

But still, I do think you’re being illogical about this.

• @tja, if you do want to change the thread title, you can do it by editing the original post, I believe. (Don’t do it on my account though.)

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@tja said:
    And BTW, it realy seems that StageLight is gone from the App Store!

Probably for legal reasons and/or App Store reasons. It is gone from sale in the App Store, but still in the purchased items for owners. I know this because I deleted it and it is still there to download.

That mean, most customers will not even know that it got bought and renamed by Roland!

Every customer is registered with Open Labs by email address. I’ll be surprised if the communication isn’t made at some point soon.

That's the worst way this could be done, ever.

No, it could be far worse. And it’s not as bad as you imagine. Sure, they will end up pissing some people off and some people will get the short end of the stick. But buyouts and transitions aren’t as easy to get perfect as you think.

Of course they need to push an update of StageLight to the AppStore, explaining what happened and how to handle this.

I doubt that’s possible. Not gonna get into the possible intricacies of something like this, but I’ve been involved with many a company divestiture and acquisition. It can be complicated, fraught with the possibilities of lawsuits, tricky with differing local country laws, tax accounting, auditors, shareholders, ... ... ....

I wanted to write that I never before saw such a stupidity, but truth is, such things get more and more common.

Exaggerating much? Or have you just led an amazingly sheltered life?

Poor planet....

Agreed. With things like this happening, mankind is surely and completely doomed. Somehow I knew civilization would end thus, but I never dreamed it would be this bad. :|

If we’d only had nuked ourselves back in the Cold War, we could have at least avoided this lingering insanity and excruciating slow death.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

Sorry in advance to all, especially @tja. I just got back from 16 hours straight with my Mother-In-Law. All that bottled up sarcasm and tongue biting had to have an outlet or I’d end up in the looney bin. I mean no harm.

I’m done now.

• @wim I disagree that StageLight was a failing product . Paused maybe ,but it seems we found the reason why.
    Roland is a company that spends (compared to other companies) more money on patents and legal department and prefer easy money reviving hardware gear to VA...
    They have zero feedback with customers and most of the products are way overpriced .
    They drop support on their product very soon marking them as discontinued . Only exception to my knowledge was the JD-Xi which had many updates.
    But to be more precise and talk about software , they bought Cakewalk , launched some hardware gear and that's it. The fall of Sonar started ....
    Oh, wait ,there is an app called " roland sound canvas" ! Take a look at the update history and look for new features ....

Nothing personal , just my opinion that Roland brand has nothing to do with evolving product based on user feedback ...

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@Korakios said:
    @wim I disagree that StageLight was a failing product . Paused maybe ,but it seems we found the reason why.
    Roland is a company that spends (compared to other companies) more money on patents and legal department and prefer easy money reviving hardware gear to VA...
    They have zero feedback with customers and most of the products are way overpriced .
    They drop support on their product very soon marking them as discontinued . Only exception to my knowledge was the JD-Xi which had many updates.
    But to be more precise and talk about software , they bought Cakewalk , launched some hardware gear and that's it. The fall of Sonar started ....
    Oh, wait ,there is an app called " roland sound canvas" ! Take a look at the update history and look for new features ....

Nothing personal , just my opinion that Roland brand has nothing to do with evolving product based on user feedback ...

You misunderstood me as saying that Stagelight was a failing product. I was using irony to illustrate the absurdity of thinking Roland saw it that way and wanted to spend money to acquire a loser. Stagelight was and is now a great product or Roland wouldn’t have wasted their money on it.

Could Roland screw it up? Sure. Would it be intentional? I doubt it. I’ve no axe to grind with either company. I guess you do with Roland. OK.

• @gusgranite said:
    Haha. Seriously though, having tried to support iTunes in my early days of IT I can honestly say I have never seen a piece of software confuse so many users to the point that they accidentally wipe their music library while trying to sync it. Which is about the worst thing music library software can possibly do when you think about it. It used to happen all the time.

Despite your own experiences tens of millions of people used iTunes without wiping their music library.

I think if there was a genuine problem with iTunes there would have been "Apple scandal" type articles in the press (like the antenna gate iPhone articles). But there weren't.

It was only later when iTunes became bloated and had so many functions that people started to hate it.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@Simon said:

@gusgranite said:

Despite your own experiences tens of millions of people used iTunes without wiping their music library.

I think if there was a genuine problem with iTunes there would have been "Apple scandal" type articles in the press (like the antenna gate iPhone articles). But there weren't.

It was only later when iTunes became bloated and had so many functions that people started to hate it.

I always hated it. From day one. An unreasoning, ugly, lasting, and increasing hatred. At least the bloat gives me a tangible reason to hang that unfathomable hatred on.

• @wim said:

@Korakios said:
    @wim I disagree that StageLight was a failing product . Paused maybe ,but it seems we found the reason why.

You misunderstood me as saying that Stagelight was a failing product. I was using irony to illustrate the absurdity of Roland thinking that way. My meaning was the opposite of that. Stagelight was and is now a great product or Roland wouldn’t have wasted their money on it.

Could Roland screw it up? Sure. Would it be intentional? I doubt it. I’ve no axe to grind with either company. I guess you do with Roland. OK.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :)
    And yes , I avoid Roland products , but will talk about it again in a year or so....! Peace!

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@Korakios said:

@wim said:

@Korakios said:

You misunderstood me as saying that Stagelight was a failing product. I was using irony to illustrate the absurdity of Roland thinking that way. My meaning was the opposite of that. Stagelight was and is now a great product or Roland wouldn’t have wasted their money on it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :)
    And yes , I avoid Roland products , but will talk about it again in a year or so....! Peace!

No worries. I just wanted to clarify. B)
    It’ll be interesting to see where it all goes.

• Let's hope Roland provide better support for this than they did for the MIDI keyboard of theirs I bought. The one they stopped providing drivers for a few months after I bought it, turning it into a very expensive door-stop.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Let's hope Roland provide better support for this than they did for the MIDI keyboard of theirs I bought. The one they stopped providing drivers for a few months after I bought it, turning it into a very expensive door-stop.

That's very common but there is always a workaround (moding the inf driver files and temporally disabling some windows protection for driver signing). If you need help ,I've done in the past 2 for sh201 and sp-606

• One thing where I DO agree that it's a "poor planet" is that nowadays, you constantly have to explicitly mark sarcasm as sarcasm for people to understand 😂

• @pauly said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

@pauly said:
    Well, it's not exactly new.
    It's sad that Roland, who were such pioneers of electronic music hardware, are unable to design their own software.

Sometimes it’s more cost effective for companies to acquire rather than develop. It’s probably a win for both parties. Actually, all three. The Stagelight developers, Roland, and the Stagelight (now Roland) customers.

I don’t see the negative here.

Exactly right.

I see your point, but I think you kinda make the case for why Roland wouldn't want to jump headlong into iOS apps. They are a hardware company and have struggled with software. I'm probably bringing my own bias as someone who is involved in software strategy but it's a very sound strategy to test a speculative market with low price points with an acquisition or acqui-hire.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    Stagelight didn’t die, just at new address, under a new alias. It’s the same team, who will probably keep restlessly updating and adding features

Well for me it's dead. Since India isn't one of the listed regions Roland backstage exists at. I can't create an account even if I want to :( they don't want me money.

That is fukt