Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Roland Zenbeats by Roland Corporation (Auv3)

Comments

• Hey, all! Sorry for noob question, but how can I route audio to Zenbeats from AUM to récord audio loops. Is there any connection scheme?

• edited January 2021

@bot0vod, you are lucky. There had just been a thread where musicians discussed utilizing Sonobus to connect AUM and Zenbeats. There is still the issue to figure out how to compensate the latency.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43076/use-sonobus-to-expose-daw-tracks-to-aum

• @krassmann said:
    @bot0vod, you are lucky. There had just been a thread where musicians discussed utilizing Sonobus to connect AUM and Zenbeats. There is still the issue to figure out how to compensate the latency.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43076/use-sonobus-to-expose-daw-tracks-to-aum

Very thanks for sharing information! Will try to figure out how to do it in my case! But still - having an opportunity to record incoming audio signal from other app using network/IAA is great feature to have on any DAW, smoothly flow can be build using such features.

• @krassmann said:

I asked in that post, but this seems like a more appropriate place... How would you fix latency on a recorded track in Zenbeats?. Say a track that you recorded and it’s off sync because of latency.
    In linear mode I guess you’d just drag the audio segment forward and then trim it at a beat. But what about Clip mode?. I tried moving the loop start point forward (with snap off) but it’s sort of weird, cos if you loose the “snap” you’re in a bad place.

• edited January 2021

@tahiche said:

@krassmann said:

I asked in that post, but this seems like a more appropriate place... How would you fix latency on a recorded track in Zenbeats?. Say a track that you recorded and it’s off sync because of latency.
    In linear mode I guess you’d just drag the audio segment forward and then trim it at a beat. But what about Clip mode?. I tried moving the loop start point forward (with snap off) but it’s sort of weird, cos if you loose the “snap” you’re in a bad place.

I think our hacky solution audio bussing around with Sonobus now hits its limit. Basically it’s working but the latency issue makes it useless. What we really need is a proper audio bus solution baked into iOS Core Audio - Apple to the rescue!!

The best solution besides that could probably be an AU that routes audio between ableton link synced AUv3 hosts utilizing AB3 audio channels. In such AU the latency issue could also be addressed. Auto roundtrip latency measuring or at least manual latency tweaking.

• @krassmann said:

@tahiche said:

@krassmann said:

I think our hacky solution audio bussing around with Sonobus now hits its limit. Basically it’s working but the latency issue makes it useless. What we really need is a proper audio bus solution baked into iOS Core Audio - Apple to the rescue!!

The best solution besides that could probably be an AU that routes audio between ableton link synced AUv3 hosts utilizing AB3 audio channels. In such AU the latency issue could also be addressed. Auto roundtrip latency measuring or at least manual latency tweaking.

Agreed

• @bot0vod said:

@krassmann said:

@tahiche said:

@krassmann said:

Agreed

Agree X 2
    It’s nuts that you have to literally send data out of the iPad and back in to connect 2 apps running on the same machine.
    Apple needs to realize that it’s now a modular system where apps talk to each other. The file system with all its “sandbox” crap is another killer.
    Can we complain or are we abusing the iPad for things it wasn’t intended for?. We definitely can complain. Remember the slogan for the iPad Pro?. “ Your next computer is not a computer”. Either it’s pro or it’s not.

• Hi!
    I just watched looppop’s review on Roland’s Verselab. If you don’t know loopop, he’s the best gear reviewer out there IMO.
    Looks like a really interesting unit for hands-on dawless experience.
    And then I see this...

This makes it x100 interesting!. Apparently this integration is not out yet, but if it works all the shortcomings or doubts I have about Verselab can be put aside. A good hardware integration with Zenbeats would be very promising and I’d probably jump in.
    Does anyone have any info on this?. How would it work, what does it imply?.
    Excited about this.

• wimwim
    edited February 2021

@tahiche said:

@bot0vod said:

@krassmann said:

@tahiche said:

@krassmann said:

Agreed

Agree X 2
    It’s nuts that you have to literally send data out of the iPad and back in to connect 2 apps running on the same machine.
    Apple needs to realize that it’s now a modular system where apps talk to each other. The file system with all its “sandbox” crap is another killer.

This one isn't on Apple and, it's on Roland/Zenbeats. IAA still exists for this purpose but Zenbeats hasn't implemented it. Audiobus makes incorporating IAA relatively easy, and is expected to keep working even after IAA is dead if Apple eventually yanks IAA.

Can we complain or are we abusing the iPad for things it wasn’t intended for?. We definitely can complain. Remember the slogan for the iPad Pro?. “ Your next computer is not a computer”. Either it’s pro or it’s not.

We can and should complain. I doubt complaining here will do a thing though. I seriously doubt anyone who matters at Apple as far as product direction cares about this little corner of the universe.

Zenbeats on the other hand do listen. Hammering them to make Zenbeats able to be hosted in Audiobus (and therefore AUM "for free") should be done mercilessly.

• wimwim
    edited February 2021

@tahiche said:

@krassmann said:

Make sure the start and end points are on measure boundaries with snap turned on. Then, turn snap off, zoom in, then drag from somewhere between the selected region, not the endpoints. The loop length will be preserved.

This works about as well as any method I've seen in other editors.

• @tahiche said:
    Hi!
    I just watched looppop’s review on Roland’s Verselab. If you don’t know loopop, he’s the best gear reviewer out there IMO.
    And then I see this...

This makes it x100 interesting!. Apparently this integration is not out yet, but if it works all the shortcomings or doubts I have about Verselab can be put aside. A good hardware integration with Zenbeats would be very promising and I’d probably jump in.
    Excited about this.

I wonder if 101 and 707 will have similar integration?

• @muzka said:

@tahiche said:
    Hi!
    And then I see this...

Excited about this.

I wonder if 101 and 707 will have similar integration?

They say it’s available “February 2021” but here we are...
    BTW I just read there’s a 12 minute mono or 6 minute stereo audio limit per project on the Verselab MV1. That seems like way too little. I don’t know if Zenbeats integration might get around that somehow, using Zenbeats to stream audio or something alike. As it is I can’t see it working standalone if you plan to add guitars, bass, etc.
    PD: should I look for a Verselab thread or is it Ok to comment here since it’s Zenbeats integration?.

• is somebody know if there is a forum dedicated to Zenbeat, not " only "a 70 pages discussion?

• I can’t keep up with this thread lol but whats the verdict on zen being able to capture mpe directly from the auv3 keyboard in synths like bleass alpha?
    Trying to figure this out from zen and ns2

• @reasOne said:
    I can’t keep up with this thread lol but whats the verdict on zen being able to capture mpe directly from the auv3 keyboard in synths like bleass alpha?

Do the synths even output MPE from their in-app keyboard? Can’t record what doesn’t come out. NS2 can’t record MPE In any case, but Zenbeats might be able to if the app puts it out.

• @wim said:

@reasOne said:
    I can’t keep up with this thread lol but whats the verdict on zen being able to capture mpe directly from the auv3 keyboard in synths like bleass alpha?

Do the synths even output MPE from their in-app keyboard? Can’t record what doesn’t come out. NS2 can’t record MPE In any case, but Zenbeats might be able to if the app puts it out.

I dunno i can’t get it to record anything from the alpha keyboard at all, i hear the mpe LOL but i don’t know if it goes out from there

• @MatthewAtZenbeats Do you have any plans to fix the resolution for iPhones with a notch?

I’ve got the Ultimate unlock, but it’s almost unusable as the notch is always covering either the scroll bar or the track selects, and the curved edges cover the corner buttons.

• @cretakano said:
    @MatthewAtZenbeats Do you have any plans to fix the resolution for iPhones with a notch?

I’ve got the Ultimate unlock, but it’s almost unusable as the notch is always covering either the scroll bar or the track selects, and the curved edges cover the corner buttons.

What iphone model are you using?

• @reasOne said:

Not possible at the moment. Please be sure to enabled MPE mode on the plugin and use our on-screen keys

• edited February 2021

@MatthewAtZenbeats said:

@cretakano said:
    @MatthewAtZenbeats Do you have any plans to fix the resolution for iPhones with a notch?

I have the same problem on iPad Pro 11’ with the bottom slider bar.
    Impossible to scroll the timeline with interfering with apple annoying multitasking bar.

• @MatthewAtZenbeats said:

@cretakano said:

I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro, but also had the same issue with iPhone X.

• Can you save Zenbeats projects in iCloud?.

• @tahiche said:
    Can you save Zenbeats projects in iCloud?.

Nope.

• Update
    New in Zenbeats 2.1

Roland VERSELAB MV-1 Project Integration
    Improved Audio Editor with Reverse and Fade functions
    Flexible Audio Output Routing
    Simplified Audio I/O settings
    Improved MIDI Device support
    Bug fixes and more

• Hi!,
    I posted some issues in the “Zenbeats 2.1” thread but this is probably more appropriate...
    I’m having some big problems after the update, I’d like to know if it’s just me or if anyone else is experiencing them. I’m on iPad Pro 2020 with latest iOS 14.4.

• Freezing is not working. I freeze a track and it has no output. Sometimes a slight crackle. I’ve tried it on different tracks with different auv3.
    • Clip mode is showing weird behavior. The clip is not resetting position upon play. Meaning it doesn’t start from the loop starting point. Seems to pick up from the point where it was stopped last. Tried bypassing effects to no avail. I can post a video if you’d like.
      Everything was fine until the update. Is it just me?. These issues are huge. It’s happening on a brand new project.
  • @tahiche said:
    Hi!,
    I posted some issues in the “Zenbeats 2.1” thread but this is probably more appropriate...
    I’m having some big problems after the update, I’d like to know if it’s just me or if anyone else is experiencing them. I’m on iPad Pro 2020 with latest iOS 14.4.

• Freezing is not working. I freeze a track and it has no output. Sometimes a slight crackle. I’ve tried it on different tracks with different auv3.
    • Clip mode is showing weird behavior. The clip is not resetting position upon play. Meaning it doesn’t start from the loop starting point. Seems to pick up from the point where it was stopped last. Tried bypassing effects to no avail. I can post a video if you’d like.
      Everything was fine until the update. Is it just me?. These issues are huge. It’s happening on a brand new project.

Got freeze working again. Even though tracks were unfrozen there were plenty of “frozen-xxx” files in the song folder. Deleted those and freezing started working as expected (so far). I can’t see how that would fix it, but hey.

• I tried this app and there has been something since it was Stagelight that the GUI doesn't fit my workflow.

Not intuitive for my style of play or use. Sadly. Bought all the packs

• How can i automate the arpeggiator in sampleverse. Is that possible ? Thanks

• I keep having problems after the update. No one else?.
    After the “freezing” not working, now it’s Stem Export... When exporting loops, which is what I always do, there’s a terrible crackle in the exported stems. Funny thing is it doesn’t happen when exporting stems in “tracks” mode.
    Tried erasing the stems, restarting the iPad, plugged in an audio interface. Still getting horrible crackles.
    The project is in 48khz and as I said audio is fine in the project and if exporting as track, only loop mode fails.

• @tahiche said:
    I keep having problems after the update. No one else?.
    After the “freezing” not working, now it’s Stem Export... When exporting loops, which is what I always do, there’s a terrible crackle in the exported stems. Funny thing is it doesn’t happen when exporting stems in “tracks” mode.
    Tried erasing the stems, restarting the iPad, plugged in an audio interface. Still getting horrible crackles.
    The project is in 48khz and as I said audio is fine in the project and if exporting as track, only loop mode fails.

Patch coming this week with numerous fixes including this one.

This discussion has been closed.