Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Roland Zenbeats by Roland Corporation (Auv3)

Comments

@Korakios said:
    I know it’s just a workaround, but if you want to use that in clip instead of timeline mode you can always resize the clip pattern to 8 bars
    Not perfect because you loose the clip jam but better than nothing .
    Not a Drambo user , but worth checking if there is a setting to change a pattern immediately

You da man!. That was key.

There’s a small gap but totally acceptable for my needs.
    Also I think I figured out how to not trigger the pads with the note, there’s a “trigger” setting, when un selected it just changes pattern.
    So it looks like we’re getting there!. Breakthrough!.

Ok, I also tried setting up Drambo as a midi plugin to sequence Zenbeats drum instrument. Also working. In this is case there’s no “Trigger” setting in Drambo, since it’s ZB drums doing the sound, so I found an ugly workaround that seems to work. Again, midi map Drambo patterns, in this case note 36 & 37. That’s the first 2 instruments in a Zb drum. So you put a note to change the pattern BUT ser velocity to zero. It changes the pattern but doesn’t make a sound.

@Korakios that “immediate pattern change” setting the was the key. This seems workable. Now I have to decide if I use Drambonas just a sequencer or also for sounds, I see pro and cons.

• @MatthewAtZenbeats said:

@oddSTAR said:
    I've noticed that when you adjust the loop start point for a sample that it is quite prone to creating pops and clicks in Zenbeats. It is messing with some otherwise great projects I've been working with. I know this is common when manually creating loops and how to minimize that, but is there a trick in Zenbeats to avoid it or anything that could be optimized (like a tiny Crossfade) to avoid the artifacts?

This is something we are looking into. Stay tuned

Hi Matthew, if you are working on a way to eliminate pops/clicks in audio in Zenbeats (like a tiny cross fade as oddSTAR suggested), would it also work for clips? I’m adjusting the length of loops within clips but when they transition from one clip to another with the same loop I’m getting terrible pops and clicks. Cheers for all your hard work!

• Is there a set of decent tutorials around for the 2.0 version?

• Just updated to 2.0.4.

Is there a change log or somewhere to see what’s exactly been fixed or enhanced?.

• Please Roland...
    ...give us iOS/iPadOS iZenology Pro Stand-Alone & AUv3 for $29.99 (Or un-lockable using qualifying hardware, MC-101/707, Jupiter Xm etc. etc.) without forcing us into permanent subscription hell and add $14.99 IAPs for the model expansions...

I like ZC-1 but have a really hard time to become 'friends' with Zenbeats and would rather host ZC-1 in other hosts.

Oh well, one can always dream...
    Cheers!

• faults still exist with panning after freezing track. temp fix it to use force mono on the track. reported it ages ago.
    also, sometimes the sends dont work after putting them on a track, dont remember that happening a couple of months ago. i fix that by soloing track and then adding the send as a solo track, then remove the solo.
    is there any way in loop mode to play the midi loop from where you edit a note, instead of having to listen from the start everytime?

• I think the demo sounds on ZC1 should be fewer ,but more quality.
    Most of them sounded like a Casio XW I used to have, nothing special ,but other AU synths are way better

• @Samu said:
    Please Roland...
    ...give us iOS/iPadOS iZenology Pro Stand-Alone & AUv3 for $29.99 (Or un-lockable using qualifying hardware, MC-101/707, Jupiter Xm etc. etc.) without forcing us into permanent subscription hell and add $14.99 IAPs for the model expansions...

I like ZC-1 but have a really hard time to become 'friends' with Zenbeats and would rather host ZC-1 in other hosts.

Cheers!

This!

• @Intrepolicious said:

@Samu said:
    Please Roland...

Cheers!

This!

I know @MatthewAtZenbeats frequents this forum forum time to time so I hope he snaps up the cues and forwards them to those in charge :)

• @Samu said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Samu said:
    Please Roland...

Cheers!

This!

I know @MatthewAtZenbeats frequents this forum forum time to time so I hope he snaps up the cues and forwards them to those in charge :)

Not sure it makes commercial sense for them to do that though. ZC-1 is a bit of a USP for Zenbeats isn't it? Only Module comes close for me in terms of sound quality and it doesn't have anything like the same range of sounds.

That said I'd like to see it but I'm sticking with ZenBeats because I really like the non-linear pattern based approach. Don't think anything else on iOS offers that with Audio as well as MIDI. Really good for just capturing a few ideas and then figuring out song arrangements. Surprised more DAWs don't offer it...

• @tahiche said:
    Just updated to 2.0.4.

Is there a change log or somewhere to see what’s exactly been fixed or enhanced?.

Here's the changelog for 2.0.4. Mostly bug fixes, but some nice enhancements in there too.

Zenbeats 2.0.4 Change Log:

New Timeline Edit Cursor: Adds clear and easy markers for edits like copy, paste and split. Clicking and editing on timeline patterns no longer changes the playback start marker.

Plugin Browser: Updated Instrument Browser sorting (ZC1 and SampleVerse now on top)

Plugin Browser: Manufacturer name now searchable

Internal plugin parameters no longer scrolls back to the top

Prevent some VST2 plugins from crashing Zenbeats

Automation: Hide OSI when editing automation if there is not enough space

OSI: performance optimizations

Fixed Grid Size refresh issue

Android OBOE: Fixed wired and wireless automatic headphone routing

Android OBOE: Fixed incorrect minimum buffer size detection

Fixed macOS track scrolling behavior

Fixed crash when replacing VST with internal plugin on subtracks

Track Panel button rearranged to match mixer

Added Duplicate function to pattern context menu

• Props to @MatthewAtZenbeats for the Zenbeats Cloud Academy training program. I attended his intro class yesterday and learned a lot, even though I’m a semi-experienced user. Looking forward to the advanced class soon. Highly recommended.

• @tahiche said:
    Hi again, I love this forum 😂

You name it! 😊

I’m trying to figure out how to couple a Drum Machine/sequencer with Zenbeats. In this case it’s Drambo, but it’d be the same with any instrument that has its own sequencer and patterns (I’m guessing EG Pulse, Octachron, etc...). You have to sync the ZB timeline or clips with the patterns in Drambo. That means tell Drambo what pattern to play at a given time, either on the timeline or on a clip.

I can map pattern change in Drambo to a note, cc message and so on...
    The logical way would be to add a midi cc message. But a) Drambo parameters are not exposed to ZB automation page and b) even if they were, you can’t see the actual value so in practice it’s virtually impossible to add a midi cc value.
    So I managed to do it with notes. Mapped Drambo to note 36 (C2) for pattern 1 and note 37 for pattern 2. It “sort of” works. Patterns do change but:

• besides changing the pattern the note triggers the pad in Drambo. Makes sense, there’s probably a way around this, I’ll focus on this if I can get the patterns changing ok. Becasuse next ...
    • Pattern change occurs a cycle late. If I’m on Zb clip/scene 1 and change to 2, Drambo will stay in 1 for the clip length until it finds the note again.

There are fairly easy solutions to these.

About the MIDI notes mixing up with pattern triggers: In Drambo, each can be set to receive on its own channel, so you can have your MIDI control on a separate MIDI channel (like in a pattern trigger track in Zenbeats).
    If you want to have them on the same channel deliberately, you can use the MIDI > Note Filter module that will allow you to pass only certain note ranges of the MIDI stream. You can have as many of these on one track as you want.

As for the pattern changes:
    I would set the playback mode to "Looped" so you can have any pattern play as often as you like. You'd only have to trigger a pattern shortly before changing to a new pattern and trigger an empty pattern for silence.
    Make sure you disable "instant pattern switch" so you don't have to worry about switch timing and you can also trigger patterns live more easily (like with a 64-pad Launchpad, keyboard on a specific ptn trig channel etc).
    For triggering the 1st pattern easily, I recommend to get used to a "Pre-roll" section in your arrangements which is always a good idea in any DAW. A short "empty" section at the beginning of the song (usually 1 or 2 bars) will come in handy for various other reasons too. Standard MIDI files have it to allow for the player to select and load all required sound banks in advance etc.

• is it possible to have an audio unit playing on channel one while capturing its audio into an audio track, channel 2 for example...
    i know you can “record performance” and then load that file into an audio track but that isn’t the way i want to do this..

• @reasOne said:
    is it possible to have an audio unit playing on channel one while capturing its audio into an audio track, channel 2 for example...
    i know you can “record performance” and then load that file into an audio track but that isn’t the way i want to do this..

I'm able to send the audio to another track using the ApeSoft Mixer Send Receive plugin. But I haven't been able to record that audio on the other track.

You can freeze a track, then dig into the Zenbeats folder to locate the audio clip to add to another track, but I understand that's not what you want to do either.

• @wim said:

@reasOne said:
    is it possible to have an audio unit playing on channel one while capturing its audio into an audio track, channel 2 for example...

I'm able to send the audio to another track using the ApeSoft Mixer Send Receive plugin. But I haven't been able to record that audio on the other track.

You can freeze a track, then dig into the Zenbeats folder to locate the audio clip to add to another track, but I understand that's not what you want to do either.

hmmm ya that’s strange it wont record even thru the ape!
    the problem with freezing tracks is that you can’t really seem to be able to record the midi from drum computer, so i was wanting to list record the audio instead, so it’s pretty much unfreeze able 😔
    my only option to stay within zen is to capture the performance with everything on mute besides dc and then insert it as audio
    sigh

• edited November 2020

he problem with freezing tracks is that you can’t really seem to be able to record the midi from drum computer,

Yeah, that happens with plugins that generate their own midi. You need to get the midi onto a ZB midi track. Can you play DC sounds from a ZB midi track?.
    To get DC midi onto a ZB midi track I believe you can use the “send midi” to a new track and record there. Or use something like Midi Tools - Midi Bus, depending on the situation.
    But I agree, ZB should allow recording a tracks output to another track.

• @tahiche said:

he problem with freezing tracks is that you can’t really seem to be able to record the midi from drum computer,

Yeah, that happens with plugins that generate their own midi. You need to get the midi onto a ZB midi track. Can you play DC sounds from a ZB midi track?.
    To get DC midi onto a ZB midi track I believe you can use the “send midi” to a new track and record there. Or use something like Midi Tools - Midi Bus, depending on the situation.

I think you can only route the midi out from it if loaded as a midi FX. I think you can only hear the audio if it's loaded as an instrument. So ... the workarounds pile on top of each other. I set the idea aside when I pictured the writeup that would be required to explain any working configuration I could think of.

• @wim said:

@tahiche said:

I think you can only route the midi out from it if loaded as a midi FX. I think you can only hear the audio if it's loaded as an instrument. So ... the workarounds pile on top of each other. I set the idea aside when I pictured the writeup that would be required to explain any working configuration I could think of.

You’re probably right. These things get messy. Maybe with Midi Bus you can hear it and send it to another track where you can record it. But I’m not sure if that only works for midi fx. I believe in that scenario MidiBus should be set to “pre fx” off in the track.

• @MatthewAtZenbeats Hey, loving the app so far, but l’m having some issues importing SFZ files into ZC1.

I can’t import the MC-101 sound packs I’ve bought as they’re greyed out in the files browser. Banks exported from Zenology Pro work fine, but the “generate presets from SVZ” option doesn’t seem to do anything, and the presets aren’t added to the browser.

If I switch between ZC1 instances, then all of the custom patches are replaced by a default piano sound and I need to import the bank again.

Also, I just got an iPhone 12 Pro and the notch is always covering something important like the scroll bars or faders, so it’s very difficult to use. Is this an issue on all iPhones with a notch, or has it just not been updated for the 12 yet?

Thanks!

• @wim said:

@tahiche said:

That's right. So, for example, to play with Geoshred and record the output you need to load it once as an instrument and then add it as a MIDI effect.

• edited November 2020

Is there a written manual floating around somewhere?

How can I edit or at least remove timeline automation?

I recorded some volume automation that is now burnt into the track with no concievable way to remove it?

There used to be a button for that but it seems it got replaced by the freeze-track button; see minute 8:40 for how it looked before :( . Help?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_title&v=GQVPgfMvCE4

• @Schmotown said:
    Props to @MatthewAtZenbeats for the Zenbeats Cloud Academy training program. I attended his intro class yesterday and learned a lot, even though I’m a semi-experienced user. Looking forward to the advanced class soon. Highly recommended.

@Schmotown : Thanks for that too about the training academy . Got a link?

• edited November 2020

Would you say the intro/beginners course goes beyond these tutorial clips they have on youtube or do they have the same content?

Edit: So I found a way to get to the timeline/track automation. You need to make the master track visible. It still has the automation icon that the instrument/audio tracks are missing. When I enter the master track's automation editor, the other tracks are expanded too and now show the automation icon.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@dobbs said:
    Is there a written manual floating around somewhere?

How can I edit or at least remove timeline automation?

I recorded some volume automation that is now burnt into the track with no concievable way to remove it?

Tap the level meters to expand the track header. It's the bottom-right button below:

• edited November 2020

@wim What I see there is the freeze button instead of the automation button.

EDIT: After the 2.04 update I now have the same buttons as you... :s o:)

• That's odd. I'm showing version 2.0.4.8145 under settings > help > about Zenbeats. You?
    iOS 13.7, iPad Air 2

This discussion has been closed.