Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miRack by mifki Limited - Live!!!

Comments

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    So, it sounds great. But will it ever be usable in the iOS ecosystem?

Depends on use case I guess. For me it just needs a way to record & save the output to file...
    This way I can use the generated loops & sounds with all other apps.

• edited September 2019

I have iconnect so i can record audio/midi direct into ableton on the PC.

• Yeah look forward to Audiobus support :) but meanwhile I'm using one ipad sending midi to another ipad (with miRack on it) and then recording output with my laptop.
    ....using both iconnectmidi 2 and iconnectAudio 4 at the same time.

• unless he’s like Technoviking©️ 😂 ...

But seriously, hats off to you for your great work in bringing this to iOS.
    Long wondered if the like would ever happen.
    i never got to put the hours in to fully get to grips with Audulus & by
    the time i returned to it, it had been disappointingly blipped from the
    appstore so it’s nice to have another modular opportunity.

As said above, likely best to ignore the noise, sounds like someone is
    angry over a derivative of a derivative, which makes little to no sense.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    I have iconnect so i can record direct into ableton on the PC.

Any chance of possibility route it using iConnectivity back to same device into other app ??

• @dendy said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Any chance of possibility route it using iConnectivity back to same device into other app ??

sure you could do that yes :)

• @dendy said:

@[Deleted User] said:

I can route miRack audio into Ableton PC and then route that same audio back into AUM input. You just need to be careful to change the AUM output channel to avoid the dreaded feedback loop.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@dendy said:

@[Deleted User] said:

I can route miRack audio into Ableton PC and then route that same audio back into AUM input. You just need to be careful to change the AUM output channel to avoid the dreaded feedback loop.

I guess you could also route the ipad output out of iCA 4 and feed that back into 2 of the analog inputs so you can record that input in AUM.

• To me, miRack is everything people have expected and hoped to eventually get out of Drambo and more.
    Just fantastic.

• @rs2000 said:
    To me, miRack is everything people have expected and hoped to eventually get out of Drambo and more.
    Just fantastic.

I thought Drambo was a drum synth/au. I was thinking it was more EG Pulse or Digitix with a built in drum synth, but I haven't followed that discussion much at all.

• Andrew has now locked the discussion on community.vcvrack.com and retracted his permission to mention that miRack started as a fork of VCV Rack in the App Store description (not sure a permission is required to state a publicly-known fact, but I will do as he asks).

@Charlesalbert said:
    IP lawyer here.

Are you available for a [paid] consultation on this matter (in general, not about the description)?

• It's a shame that's the way he is seeing it, I think it's a little short sighted as it's a way of potentially growing VCV rack as well.

The statement that "miRack helps the VCV project in no way whatsoever." is not true as it might make people use it more and discover it via iOS version. I'll potentially use i more if i can transfer patches across. :)

• @Carnbot said:
    It's a shame that's the way he is seeing it, I think it's a little short sighted as it's a way of potentially growing VCV rack as well.

The statement that "miRack helps the VCV project in no way whatsoever." is not true as it might make people use it more and discover it via iOS version. I'll potentially use i more if i can transfer patches across. :)

Yup, agreed, disappointing.

• @mifki said:
    Andrew has now locked the discussion on community.vcvrack.com and retracted his permission to mention that miRack started as a fork of VCV Rack in the App Store description (not sure a permission is required to state a publicly-known fact, but I will do as he asks).

@Charlesalbert said:
    IP lawyer here.

Are you available for a [paid] consultation on this matter (in general, not about the description)?

Is Andrew planning to release an iOS version himself?

• Like I said before, the creepy vcvrack dev party.

• edited September 2019

@Carnbot said:
    It's a shame that's the way he is seeing it, I think it's a little short sighted as it's a way of potentially growing VCV rack as well.

Yes, I've seen a few people wanting to start making a patch on mobile and continue on desktop and vice versa. Probably Andrew underestimates how much popularity App Store can bring.

Also, he could take, for example, rendering optimisations I've added long time ago and which are available in my old miRack repo - his users would be most happy to get less laggy UI not eating all CPU.

• Meanwhile, Befaco....

• @OnfraySin said:
    Like I said before, the creepy vcvrack dev party.

Actually, so far I'm not having issues with any of the plugin developers or hardware module developers (just got a reply from Befaco at night that I'm allowed to use their panel graphics as is). Also I've got permission from several plugin authors to add their modules even though their license wouldn't allow it otherwise. So I must say that most of the devs related to the project seem to be sensible nice people.

• @mifki said:

@OnfraySin said:

Actually, so far I'm not having issues with any of the plugin developers or hardware module developers (just got a reply from Befaco at night that I'm allowed to use their panel graphics as is). Also I've got permission from several plugin authors to add their modules even though their license wouldn't allow it otherwise. So I must say that most of the devs related to the project seem to be sensible nice people.

I’m talking about the dev core of Rack.

My thoughts are that they are trying to make a commercial move about Vcvrack...but are a little arrogant.

• edited September 2019

@rs2000 said:

@mifki said:
    Andrew has now locked the discussion on community.vcvrack.com and retracted his permission to mention that miRack started as a fork of VCV Rack in the App Store description (not sure a permission is required to state a publicly-known fact, but I will do as he asks).

@Charlesalbert said:
    IP lawyer here.

Is Andrew planning to release an iOS version himself?

Yes, I've seen a few people wanting to start making a patch on mobile and continue on desktop and vice versa. Probably Andrew underestimates how much popularity App Store can bring.

Also, he could take, for example, rendering optimisations I've added long time ago and which are available in my old miRack repo - his users would be most happy happy to get less laggy UI not eating all CPU.

Exactly, would be very beneficial. I tried VCV rack on my desktop touch screen yesterday and it's not as fluid as the optimisations you've done for general use in terms of UI lag and zooming etc.

• edited September 2019

@OnfraySin said:

@mifki said:

@OnfraySin said:

My thoughts are that they are trying to make a commercial move about Vcvrack...but are a little arrogant.

Well, there's only one dev - Andrew. He explicitly stated long time ago that he doesn't [generally] accept contributions from other developers. If this weren't so, I would probably be able to contribute my optimisations to VCV Rack from the beginning.

• @mifki thanks for the great app 👍 do you think IAA is a relatively quick solution to enabling hosts to record the audio from miRack?

• @mifki said:

@OnfraySin said:

@mifki said:

@OnfraySin said:

Well, there's only one dev - Andrew. He explicitly stated long time ago that he doesn't [generally] accept contributions from other developers. If this weren't so, I would probably be able to contribute my optimisations to VCV Rack from the beginning.

So yeah, you have my point.

I talked to other developers about how the Andrew’s behavior changes along the past months, since 0.6 and a the fight about licenses.

• maybe some in the VCV community don't like the Apple company? That could be the case, and I understand the reasons.

However, concerning Vult, I guess this is a little bit of a different thing. Vult is not only a VCV module creator, Vult is an own programming language (as far as I understand).

• edited September 2019

Here are all the reasons why porting vcvRack to a mobile device or touch screen is near impossible:

https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ.html#will-rack-be-ported-to-ios-or-android

I suspect the Drambo devs have been facing these same issues.

• edited September 2019

When I first learned about VCV Rack... I was all over it. I was totally excited about the possibilities and watched several hours of tutorials and demos. I told other people about it too.

After a couple of months or so, it kind of got tedious. I didn't really understand as much as I wanted to... given all the time I'd put into long, boring tutorials that often put me to sleep. Eventually, I didn't even bother with it any more.

That's why I had trepidation that it'd basically be the same with miRack.

Well, something about the touch interface and how it's been implemented by @mifki has completely changed it for me. I'm still mostly clueless about it, but it's much easier to try new stuff and experiment.

Today I ended up getting completely lost in it for nearly 4hrs to the point where I was ignoring the warnings I was running out of battery power... and pushed it all the way until the power was completely gone and it shut down in the middle of a session.

There aren't that many apps that get me so obsessed that I push the iPad for every last ounce of juice until it completely dies.

• edited September 2019

The plan is to include lessons and tutorials in the app to introduce users to the modular way of doing things. Explaining basic ideas, showing how to use and what can be done with certain modules, and showing a process of building a big patch from scratch and how it can evolve further.

Btw if someone wants to work on such content, for free or as a paid service, or has any other ideas, please contact me.

• @mifki btw, that was a ringing endorsement of miRack. Getting obsessed and lost (as in lost track of time) is a good thing. Loving the app!

• I got it :) thanks again everyone for such a great reception.

• @mojozart said:
    Here are all the reasons why porting vcvRack to a mobile device or touch screen is near impossible:

https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ.html#will-rack-be-ported-to-ios-or-android

None of these points is a blocker. Basically, @mifki has already proven how well it actually works.

I suspect the Drambo devs have been facing these same issues.

I've done a few patches with miRack now and I have to say that I feel a bit sorry for @giku_beepstreet - miRack already includes so much more than I've seen in Drambo so far, except AUv3 compatibility. It's certainly a bit unfair to compare them anyway and Drambo will certainly be the faster, easier, more straightforward one to use but if you want the real power of a modern modular system without the "mathematical" character of Audulus or zMors Modular then miRack is it.