Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miRack by mifki Limited - Live!!!

Comments

• @CF3 said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    How can I delete a module? Am I missing something obvious?

Two-Finger tap the module to reveal the menu, then select delete.

Thanks!

• @mifki said:
    Also, can you guys please outline what your real-life use case for VCV Rack/miRack in desktop/mobile workflow is or would be? From what I've seen here, some people want to create patches on the go (and possible open in VCV Rack afterwards), some want to route audio into other apps on iPad for post-processing and recording (and some I believe a patch to play simultaneously with other apps), and some want to connect iPad to real Eurorack hardware. Also I've seen requests for Ableton Link support.

These are all valid but very different use cases, and while the plan is to support it all (subject to hardware limitations as I always note), I need to prioritise some of these tasks over the others.

I had a nice time with it yesterday. Awesome work.

This is one of the few apps I could let live on its own ie connectivity is not a priority for me.

I mean, there’s plenty to do with all those modules.

But audio recording would be great and better if it did it straight into AudioShare. Also hardware integration but that is already there if I’m not wrong.

Audiobus, AUM, ApeMatrix integration would be a bonus but not number one priority.

Speaking only for myself.

• @Jocphone said:

my use case would be:

1. Open miRack within AudioBus, AUM, ApeMatrix, Cubasis, other Hosts..
    2. Audio and MIDI in from the host
    3. Audio and MIDI out to the host
    4. Syncing with the host for clock, start and stop
    5. Multichannel of 2 and 3 would be great but at a minimum 1 to 3 would enable most recording and performance things to happen

These would allow me to jam with other apps and to record the results, both for Audio and MIDI.

+1000 to this - exactly what I am hoping for! I expect I will end up running miRack on my current ‘best’ iPad, an IPad Air 2018, audio out into the next one I get, but for the foreseeable future I need to run it alongside/in my DAWless setup on this single device.

• Thanks everyone for these and future replies about their usage scenarios. I'll save this information and consult it later during development :)

• @mojozart said:
    FWIW screenshot of a naive connection of KB-1 to miRack

Rad!

• Sorry if already asked: Could miRack used as effect (with audio input via AB)?

• Really enjoying getting into this app, thanks. One question - and bear in mind I’m a total beginner here! On a VCO should there be a numerical (?) readout out on, say, the frequency knob, when it’s turned, to say what frequency it’s set at?

• @ajmiller said:
    Really enjoying getting into this app, thanks. One question - and bear in mind I’m a total beginner here! On a VCO should there be a numerical (?) readout out on, say, the frequency knob, when it’s turned, to say what frequency it’s set at?

Nop. The frequency is not a standard hz from 0hz to xHz. The standard +0 is hardcoded on the module and then, the knob indicates how change this frequency

• Ok, thanks. I need to study this a bit more methinks.

@OnfraySin said:

@ajmiller said:
    Really enjoying getting into this app, thanks. One question - and bear in mind I’m a total beginner here! On a VCO should there be a numerical (?) readout out on, say, the frequency knob, when it’s turned, to say what frequency it’s set at?

Nop. The frequency is not a standard hz from 0hz to xHz. The standard +0 is hardcoded on the module and then, the knob indicates how change this frequency

• @Satie said:
    Sorry if already asked: Could miRack used as effect (with audio input via AB)?

There aren't any audio input modules yet.

• @OnfraySin said:

@ajmiller said:

I don’t think that is correct @OnfraySin

Assuming that miRack hasn’t deviated from VCV’s control voltages then cv control of frequency should follow the one volt per octave scale as mentioned here:

https://vcvrack.com/manual/VoltageStandards.html#pitch-and-frequencies

This provides predictable frequencies that could be displayed on the freq knob should the developer wish to implement it. Of course the actual frequency of the signal from any audio out could be changed with frequency modulation, etc.. but the base frequency is a known value according to the volt per octave scale.

• I have only one request, it's silly but simple....

A more graphic, yet basic app icon 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
    I really want to display this app on my iPad home screen but I just can't with the current icon lol
    I know I'm dumb, same with other apps like aparillo, great synth awful icon lolol

Black background and a simple attractive logo / image would make it all better 😗

• @mifki let me buy you a beer if you will visit Ukraine one day. I just started saving money for touchscreen laptop because never thought VCV will come to iOS. And it works smooth and flawless on my world-old Air. Excellent job!

There's was a lot of useful requests here and I'm sure you have a lot of work. And if you wouldn't mind I want to suggest a saving option for upcoming updates. For me, the key difference between hardware and VCV was the ability to build few machines with complex routing and save them. So later I can open the template, play with triggers, voices or modulation and save a bunch of different variations of the same rack. Then choose the best one and work with it further.

• I was following this tutorial and I’m sure I noticed a numeric value for the frequency knob hence my question. But then I am still exploring this app and modular so......

@Jocphone said:

@OnfraySin said:

@ajmiller said:

I don’t think that is correct @OnfraySin

Assuming that miRack hasn’t deviated from VCV’s control voltages then cv control of frequency should follow the one volt per octave scale as mentioned here:

https://vcvrack.com/manual/VoltageStandards.html#pitch-and-frequencies

This provides predictable frequencies that could be displayed on the freq knob should the developer wish to implement it. Of course the actual frequency of the signal from any audio out could be changed with frequency modulation, etc.. but the base frequency is a known value according to the volt per octave scale.

• Is there a module for ripples?

• edited September 2019

@reasOne said:
    Is there a module for ripples?

I believe only the digital MI modules have been ported to VCV. Ripples uses an Analog filter, so it’s not as easy to reproduce.

I’d personally love to see the VULT analog filter emulations ported over; Ruiz’s modules are among the best I’ve heard on the platform.

• @ZenEagle said:

@reasOne said:
    Is there a module for ripples?

I believe only the digital MI modules have been ported to VCV. Ripples uses an Analog filter, so it’s not as easy to reproduce.

I’d personally love to see the VULT analog filter emulations ported over; Ruiz’s modules are among the best I’ve heard on the platform.

He seemed to indicate in the VCV Rack group on FB that his modules wouldn’t be included in miRack.

• edited September 2019

Brilliant, thanks, purchased straight away :)
    My ideal use case is as per this video showing vcv rack combined with hardware modular. so combining it with a dc coupled audio interface like the expert sleepers ES-8 and passing audio and cv signals back and forth between my iPad and modular

• edited September 2019

Omri Cohen posted a video today about hosting VST instruments inside of VCV Rack. I think it would be cool to see miRack as an AUv3 host: a different workflow from the requests for use as an AUv3 plugin and Audiobus support, but cool in its own way and maybe with some advantages of its own turning other AUv3 plugins into pseudo-modules rather than connecting the whole rack to a separate audio system like AUM or Cubasis. I wonder if it would be any easier for @mifki to get a handle on miRack's performance implications when considering it as a host rather than a plugin?

As a side note, every feature of VCV Rack 1.0 vs 0.6 would be high on my list of requests for addition to miRack in future updates, especially polyphonic cables and the full suite of new MIDI modules (MIDI-CV, CV-MIDI, MIDI-CC, CV-CC, MIDI-Gate, CV-Gate, and MIDI-MAP). But all the other requests currently on @mifki's list should take precedence.

@Jimantronic said:
    My ideal use case is as per this video

Great video. Love loopop!

@lazyass said:
    And it works smooth and flawless on my world-old Air. Excellent job!

Is that a 2013 Air? I'd thought there were some performance issues with the Air 2, so this is cool to hear. It would be nice to know just how old of a used iPad someone could buy if they were looking to get into miRack to add to their modular gear.

@chimp_spanner said:
    After a little more testing [on the Air 2], still going pretty well. The only thing that introduces a lot of crackling/popping for me is visualisation (scopes and analysers). Everything else seems to work fine.

• Omg this thing is amazing!

• just had an update with coloured cables :)

• @reasOne said:
    Omg this thing is amazing!

Yes, I agree 🙂🙂

• Is it possible to save presets for modules?
    Would be nice if so.....You can copy and paste settings but can't see an option to save the knob settings.
    Liking the colour cables :)
    I can see this is going to soak up a lot of time, I much prefer fiddling around with this than on desktop.

• edited September 2019

@Carnbot said:
    Is it possible to save presets for modules?
    Would be nice if so.....You can copy and paste settings but can't see an option to save the knob settings.

Doesn't look like it yet. But I did just confirm that you can copy a module's settings in one patch and paste to one in another patch, so that's something

• @reasOne said:
    I have only one request, it's silly but simple....

I really want to display this app on my iPad home screen but I just can't with the current icon lol
    I know I'm dumb, same with other apps like aparillo, great synth awful icon lolol

Black background and a simple attractive logo / image would make it all better 😗

Use the Shortcuts app > create new shortcut to open miRack > make a custom icon to your liking and assign it to the shortcut > add to home screen. Threat neutralized.

• edited September 2019

@brice said:
    “Threat neutralized.”

😂

• @brice said:

@reasOne said:
    I have only one request, it's silly but simple....

Use the Shortcuts app > create new shortcut to open miRack > make a custom icon to your liking and assign it to the shortcut > add to home screen. Threat neutralized.

Ha! And dang I didn't even think of that! Good stuff man! Ty

• @mogue said:
    Omri Cohen posted a video today about hosting VST instruments inside of VCV Rack. I think it would be cool to see miRack as an AUv3 host: a different workflow from the requests for use as an AUv3 plugin and Audiobus support, but cool in its own way and maybe with some advantages of its own turning other AUv3 plugins into pseudo-modules rather than connecting the whole rack to a separate audio system like AUM or Cubasis.

I agree. I think miRack could be a fun AUv3 host.

• Mirack would be incredible with auv3 hosting

• Doubtful... But will this release for iPhone ?