Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Name your favorite 'noise making' app and why

2»

Comments

• edited September 2019

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@CracklePot said:

@Empolo said:
    If SYS would just add Audiobus compat, it would be noise making gold.

SYS™ by Mainvolume
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sys/id1439243037

Been out for about 10 months?
    How did this one slip through, unnoticed?

Aaand no longer available. I downloaded it but had to remove it due to intolerable crackles.

Would really like to know wth that thing was.

Edit: a cryptic medium post, hinting at some unspecified shenanigans by intelligence agencies, a Twitter account that has been restricted due to ‘unusual activities’ whatever that means - I smell a viral marketing campaign.

I never got the app to actually do anything more than a beep. Now it just crashes to the springboard. I downloaded it months ago and didn’t work correctly then either I guess because their servers were bombarded
    I uninstalled it due to such a large size for doing nadda

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Aaand no longer available.

It must have just been removed because I looked at it on the iTunes store only yesterday. Didn't download because of the large size.

• @Simon said:

It must have just been removed because I looked at it on the iTunes store only yesterday. Didn't download because of the large size.

I also looked at it in the App Store yesterday. A lot of jabberwockery that made it seem like some strange combo of spirit box and bio-feedback generator with "something else"
    I passed on the large download size as well.

Yet, it is no longer there. Hmmm... (cue spooky theremin sounds)

• @JeffChasteen said:
    I also looked at it in the App Store yesterday. A lot of jabberwockery that made it seem like some strange combo of spirit box and bio-feedback generator with "something else"

I was guessing that the large files size was related to possibly having lots of "canned" sampled responses to make it look brainy.

Now we'll never know.... :s

• Monovista is a freaking trip. And free. And an epileptics nightmare.

• Soundscaper is still a favorite. Especially when I was new to iOS and really had no clue how to tame it like I do now, I consistently got usable, fun stuff, especially glitchy rhythms, just by twiddling around. It's a classic to me.

• Sampletoy by Marek Bereza, the guy responsible for the Koala sampler. It is far from a toy, I use it all the time to warp and twist loops I’ve made. You can ‘open in’ it from pretty much anything that exports wavs, use multitouch, and drag the rotating stars which represent the samples around on a pitched or unpitched xy grid, with or without delay, stepped, bass boosted, and envelope shaped, transforming their tempo and pitch as you do, record the automation ‘performance’, resample the result if you want, then dump the transformed loops back out again. Very instinctual to use, and very powerful for something which at first glance seems trivial.

Btw, not applicable to Sampletoy, which works brilliantly with AudioShare, but something I have discovered recently... I love these odd noise apps for creating drone and glitch pads and noise FX, but many are destined never to have Audiobus or AU. I am lucky enough to have two iPads, an aging and past it’s best iPad 4 and a shiny new IPad Air 2018, so I often use a very cheap Irig line interface (got it, I think, for £5 new from eBay) to go headphone jack from the old one running the quirky app via the irig to the headphone jack of the new one. The irig gives me live phones monitoring of the source, and I can then record the performance as an audio file directly into AUM on the new one. As long as I don’t need midi and my timing is ok, this makes these great source material for ambient effecting and lets the resultant loop integrate well with modern apps in AUM.

• @Svetlovska said:
    You can ‘open in’ it from pretty much anything that exports wavs, use multitouch, and drag the rotating stars which represent the samples around on a pitched or unpitched xy grid, with or without delay, stepped, bass boosted, and envelope shaped, transforming their tempo and pitch as you do, record the automation ‘performance’, resample the result if you want, then dump the transformed loops back out again.

Cool idea. Thanks for sharing that!

• @cuezaireekaa said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Hexaglyphics ticks all these boxes!

Yup this one is cool. And I get funny looks from folks when playing it.

How did I miss that one? Especially since it was free for over a thousand days! Just broke down and bought it. Mesmerizing fun! I get funny looks from people when not doing anything, so can’t wait to try this in public. 😆

Other fav noisemakers: SampleWiz, Streemur, Factory. For the departed wonderful apps like SynthX and MegaCurtis, I’ll pour out a 40 ounce (kombucha) on the curb. 🍺

• edited September 2019

@Simon said:

@JeffChasteen said:

I was guessing that the large files size was related to possibly having lots of "canned" sampled responses to make it look brainy.

Now we'll never know.... :s

I managed to download it, I can reveal what it does...

It opens, text appears saying “system error” then vanishes!

Good call to whoever mentioned Soundcaper, I love that one. My favorite of the scaper family.

Friends, family and especially animals don’t seem to enjoy Hexaglyphics! @haulin_notes

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I managed to download it, I can reveal what it does...

It opens, text appears saying “system error” then vanishes!

Cool! That's certainly worth 852Mb of app :)

• It’s vital to my workflow! @Simon
    There was talk of a time machine in the app description, perhaps the dev is currently roaming with the dinosaurs?

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    It’s vital to my workflow! @Simon

An 8Mb app that opens and displays text saying “system error” is lame but an 800Mb app that does that is kind of funny...

• @Simon said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    It’s vital to my workflow! @Simon

An 8Mb app that opens and displays text saying “system error” is lame but an 800Mb app that does that is kind of funny...

That must be one huge bitmap!

• For me AUM is the quickest app to open, input the iPad microphone, crank it up, and let the feedback start. It also has a built in recorder to top it off.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@Simon said:

Yep, it disappeared again (happened once before a few week ago). I wonder if Apple is giving the dev the business for some reason.

My understanding of the app is that it applies procedural audio principles. It uses live input (like the mic) to generate synthetic audio.

Reading: https://medium.com/@berraknil/procedural-audio-on-the-web-part-one-166462e7be1e

Gotta admit - the app description was a bit WTF, so I researched it a bit more.

• @Empolo said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@Simon said:

Yep, it disappeared again (happened once before a few week ago). I wonder if Apple is giving the dev the business for some reason.

My understanding of the app is that it applies procedural audio principles. It uses live input (like the mic) to generate synthetic audio.

Reading: https://medium.com/@berraknil/procedural-audio-on-the-web-part-one-166462e7be1e

Yeah, for almost a GB I’d like to know wth I’m getting.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@Empolo said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@Simon said:

Yeah, for almost a GB I’d like to know wth I’m getting.

An error message, I just checked again!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    An error message, I just checked again!

Good to see an app that displays consistency. :)

• I’m an optimist (mostly) so will report if the SYS™ boots successfully one of these days.