Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 2 by Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH is on sale right now

Comments

• @LFS said:

@Faland said:
    I wanna buy the classic machines IAP but I saw a Jacob Haq video on YouTube and every drum set was mapped differently, hence you can’t try different sets on the same midi file. Somebody knows if this was fixed/changed?

Hi Faland,

The individual Classic Machines kits are all mapped the same, and follow the GM scheme where possible.

If required, please find more information on our Cubasis 2 In-App Purchases website.

Best wishes,
    Lars

Thank you. Bought.

• @Faland said:

@LFS said:

@Faland said:
    I wanna buy the classic machines IAP but I saw a Jacob Haq video on YouTube and every drum set was mapped differently, hence you can’t try different sets on the same midi file. Somebody knows if this was fixed/changed?

Hi Faland,

The individual Classic Machines kits are all mapped the same, and follow the GM scheme where possible.

If required, please find more information on our Cubasis 2 In-App Purchases website.

Best wishes,
    Lars

Thank you. Bought.

Hi @Faland,

Here's a short tip that hopefully is helpful for you:
    The Classic Machines are designed to be lightweight, allowing you to load lots of them without engaging the CPU load too much...

Let's assume you want to mix the instruments of a Classic Machine drum kit individually.

Here, you might start with a single drum machine first to create your beat.
    Once done, duplicate the track and edit the MIDI parts, so that every event contains a single instrument only (e.g. kick drum, snare etc.).

In addition, you might want to change the Classic Machine drum machine for individual parts as well, which of course is easily possible too.

Once done, you can finish to process and mix the individual drum instrument tracks in the Cubasis mixer while CPU usage remain remains low.

Hope you enjoy those nice and tiny machines as we do...

Best wishes,
    Lars

• edited September 2019

@LFS said:

@Faland said:

@LFS said:

@Faland said:

Hi Faland,

Best wishes,
    Lars

Thank you. Bought.

Hi @Faland,

The Classic Machines are designed to be lightweight, allowing you to load lots of them without engaging the CPU load too much...

Let's assume you want to mix the instruments of a Classic Machine drum kit individually.

Once done, duplicate the track and edit the MIDI parts, so that every event contains a single instrument only (e.g. kick drum, snare etc.).

In addition, you might want to change the Classic Machine drum machine for individual parts as well, which of course is easily possible too.

Once done, you can finish to process and mix the individual drum instrument tracks in the Cubasis mixer while CPU usage remain remains low.

Best wishes,
    Lars

Hi @LFS ,
    Thank you for the tip, and I have to say that for 3.99€ the CMs are a real deal. Just like the Waves bundle I bought yesterday.
    Have a nice day.

• @LFS is there even a remote possibility to allow users to tune the sounds used in classic machines?
    (I know it's possible to at least partially tune them using the pitch-bend but it's hardly a good solution).

And what about an additional 'Classic Machine' that accepts drag-n-drop from the arranger directly to the pads?
    (In short we need something better for user samples than the Mini Sampler)

I'd pay premium IAP for the Cubase Sampler Track in Cubasis!

• @CracklePot said:

And Cubasis can start Audiobus via Midi Sync, which gets almost everything rolling.

Can you advise how?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@LinearLineman said:
    If you are a noob looking for a great, intuitive, manageable DAW, this is the one, IMO. 130 tracks and no complaints (except previously using an underpowered iPad with it. Slooow!)

Any good on an Air2?

I’ve got Auria, but don’t do any proper DAW stuff on the iPad, but most folk on here seem to use Cubasis, so I’m wondering if I’m missing a trick....

I use Cubasis on Air 2 all the time, works great for me, usual CPU hungry suspects still cause glitches etc...but freezing audio really helps...only real issue is that some FX add latency to the audio so trimming is required to bring stuff back into time on occasions.

Cheers Andy, still chewing this one over!

• LFSLFS
    edited September 2019

@Samu said:
    @LFS is there even a remote possibility to allow users to tune the sounds used in classic machines?
    (I know it's possible to at least partially tune them using the pitch-bend but it's hardly a good solution).

And what about an additional 'Classic Machine' that accepts drag-n-drop from the arranger directly to the pads?
    (In short we need something better for user samples than the Mini Sampler)

I'd pay premium IAP for the Cubase Sampler Track in Cubasis!

Hi Samu,

Thanks for your message.

We've designed the Classic Machines as ready-to-use lightweights, which come with few parameters only and does not use too much CPU. This allows to load many of them to route drum instruments to discrete outputs, process them and much more.

A quick solution for tuning would be to freeze a CM track (e.g. if your after to tune a kick drum) and use transpose, which uses z-planes élastique and comes with countless detail settings.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @Faland said:

@LFS said:

@Faland said:

@LFS said:

@Faland said:

Hi Faland,

Best wishes,
    Lars

Thank you. Bought.

Hi @Faland,

Best wishes,
    Lars

Hi @Lars,
    Thank you for the tip, and I have to say that for 3.99€ the CMs are a real deal. Just like the Waves bundle I bought yesterday.
    Have a nice day.

Hi @Faland,

Thanks for your feedback, happy to hear that...

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

A quick solution for tuning would be to freeze a CM track (e.g. if your after to tune a kick drum) and use transpose, which uses z-planes élastique and comes with countless detail settings.

I wish I'd thought of this ... thanks @LFS a great tip.

@Samu You can pitch the kicks down by playing below C1 too, for instant tuned kick.

• @LFS said:

Well aware of that but in the 'old days' the samples length was also changed when pitching them...

Guess I'll for now have to resort to using 3rd party sample players until Cubasis catches up. Something like 4Pockets DigiSticks.
    (Hint, be very inspired by how Ableton Live handles Audio in Simpler and on Audio Tracks. I know you can do it, charge extra for it if needed!!!)

• @Samu said:
    (Hint, be very inspired by how Ableton Live handles Audio in Simpler and on Audio Tracks. I know you can do it, charge extra for it if needed!!!)

Would even love a full on Cubasis 3 made from the ground up as a stand-alone, non-upsell, iOS product. Maybe one day the market/biz model can support this.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Samu You can pitch the kicks down by playing below C1 too, for instant tuned kick.

I was more thinking of pitched snare rolls and well, treating the drum sounds as proper pitched instruments even if it would require Midi CC's to tune them individually.

But I guess 'geek requests' are out of scope for the time being...
    (But I'm happy we got the more grid options after many years of whining haha).

• @hisdudeness said:
    Cubasis rocks when it comes to QUICK workflow for simple projects. Bringing music in and out is a breeze
    found less crashes on Cubasis than Auria, although minor global sync issues, the feature to auto create tracks when connected to AB is gold

+1

Cubasis has the best and robust implementations of AB, IAA and AU.

• edited September 2019

@LFS it would be nice if you can allow us to build our own drum kits by assigning drum instruments from various kits to a 32-pad board. You could allow us to choose instruments from any kit (a library list of all available drums like FLSM) and assign to our own kit pads so we could have all the needed instruments in a single kit on a track instead of using multiple kits in multiple tracks to use the needed instruments.

Also a chord library with ability to assign chords to the 10 chords buttons from the chord list and be able to edit them as well.

• @Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

I was more thinking of pitched snare rolls and well, treating the drum sounds as proper pitched instruments even if it would require Midi CC's to tune them individually.

Mixdown a single hit, then load it into Minisampler ?

But I guess 'geek requests' are out of scope for the time being...
    (But I'm happy we got the more grid options after many years of whining haha).

• LFSLFS
    edited September 2019

Hi @MobileMusic,

Also a chord library with ability to assign chords to the 10 chords buttons from the chord list and be able to edit them as well.

Did you try out the edit mode of the regular chord pads in Cubasis (not the pads above the on-baord keyboard)?
    This mode allows to easily choose all kinds of chords.

@LFS it would be nice if you can allow us to build our own drum kits by assigning drum instruments from various kits to a 32-pad board. You could allow us to choose instruments from any kit (a library list of all available drums like FLSM) and assign to our own kit pads so we could have all the needed instruments in a single kit on a track instead of using multiple kits in multiple tracks to use the needed instruments.

Doesn't the MiniSampler works here too, which also can be played via pads?

Best,
    Lars

• @AndyPlankton said:

Mixdown a single hit, then load it into Minisampler ?

I'd rather freeze and load them into another sampler :)
    Since Cubasis supports Files.app I can grab them from the media bay and load them into more competent samplers.

And well, the mandatory create Mini Sampler preset, Load Sample from Mediabay, Tweak and save is like arghhhhhh!
    It really should be enough to select an audio event on the timeline and ten select 'create sampler instrument'.
    (Even GarageBand manages this easily, just drag Audio to a track with the Sampler loaded, boom instant new sampler instrument saved with the session not cluttering the preset menus).

This is also the way Cubase Sampler Track works and would be a major addition to Cubasis making it more sample friendly.

I do know most of the 'work-arounds' but they really do kill the flow...

• @LFS please try and fix this if possible with next update.
    When you freeze instruments tracks to audio, the audio is never on grid most of the time.
    You have to manually edit the audio on timeline it’s been years now.pleaseee

• @Paa89 said:
    @LFS please try and fix this if possible with next update.
    When you freeze instruments tracks to audio, the audio is never on grid most of the time.

Did you try the two compatibility modes too?

I know it's a real PITA but it most of the time at least one of the options work...

• edited September 2019

@Samu said:

@Paa89 said:
    @LFS please try and fix this if possible with next update.

Did you try the two compatibility modes too?

I know it's a real PITA but it most of the time at least one of the options work...

Tried with both settings, same result

• edited September 2019

@Paa89 said:

Weird, what iPad is that? (I have no issues freezing 4P DrumSticks on my iPad Air 2, iOS12.4.1).
    What is the session sample rate set to?!

But yeah, these kind of issues can not always be blamed on the host. It could be the plug-in too...

• edited September 2019

@Paa89 said:

If you copy the freeze audio to another track and unfreeze the plugin do the two play in unison or is there an offset? just wondering if the latency is with the plugin itself.

• edited September 2019

@Samu said:

@Paa89 said:

Weird, what iPad is that? (I have no issues freezing 4P DrumSticks on my iPad Air 2, iOS12.4.1).
    What is the session sample rate set to?!

But yeah, these kind of issues can not always be blamed on the host. It could be the plug-in too...

Pro 11
    Also just tested with a builtin Cubasis instrument same result

• @AudioGus said:

@Paa89 said:

If you copy the freeze audio to another track and unfreeze the plugin do the two play in unison or is there an offset? just wondering if the latency is with the plugin itself.

I can hear some offset.you can hear it especially when the kick comes in

• @Paa89 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Paa89 said:

Hmmmm, If you now fix the audio though I wager you would hear even more... (?)

• @AudioGus said:

@Paa89 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Paa89 said:

I just tried bringing the event close to grid and it’s worst 😂

• edited September 2019

@Paa89 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Paa89 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Paa89 said:

I just tried bringing the event close to grid and it’s worst 😂

I think that was my point. That it would get worse. Doesn't that imply that the latency is in the original plugin?

Although with everything going on it is hard for me to hear it to be honest. I think just the hihats alone would be more revealing of what is going on.

• @Paa89 said:

Pro 11
    Also just tested with a builtin Cubasis instrument same result

Gotcha, what about iOS version and Cubasis session sample rate?

Pro 11 uses as far as I know 48K when using the built-in speakers (and headphones in some cases if they have a built-in mic) and if the session sample rate is set to 44.1 there could be some sample-rate issues at play here...

Could be worth to check out (ie. change the Cubasis sample rate and re-freeze).

Sometimes I'm really happy I've not gotten a new iPad...(I would go totally nuts with all the sample-rate issues etc. etc. etc.).

• edited September 2019

@hisdudeness said:

@CracklePot said:

And Cubasis can start Audiobus via Midi Sync, which gets almost everything rolling.

Can you advise how?

Sure.
    In Cubasis, go into Setup, and in the Midi area turn on Send Midi Clock.
    In Audiobus, go into Settings, and in the Sync section turn Link and IAA sync on, Audiobus Start/Stop to on, and in Midi Clock Sync select Virtual Midi as the Midi Clock source.

Do not select Cubasis as Midi Clock source. Cubasis sends Midi Clock to the generic Virtual Midi port, not its own named port.

Because Link apps typically have a Sync Quantum of one bar, I suggest leaving an empty Bar 1 in Cubasis to get the start of the two Clocks in sync. When you hit play in Cubasis, it will start its clock, but Audiobus will start one bar later because of the Link Sync Quantum.

This will get most apps hosted in Audiobus started in sync, as long as they support Link or IAA sync, or are AUv3s.

• @CracklePot said:

@hisdudeness said:

@CracklePot said:

Can you advise how?

Sure.
    In Cubasis, go into Setup, and in the Midi area turn on Send Midi Clock.
    In Audiobus, go into Settings, and in the Sync section turn Link and IAA sync on, Audiobus Start/Stop to on, and in Midi Clock Sync select Virtual Midi as the Midi Clock source.

Do not select Cubasis as Midi Clock source. Cubasis sends Midi Clock to the generic Virtual Midi port, not its own named port.

Because Link apps typically have a Sync Quantum of one bar, I suggest leaving an empty Bar 1 in Cubasis to get the start of the two Clocks in sync. When you hit play in Cubasis, it will start its clock, but Audiobus will start one bar later because of the Link Sync Quantum.

This will get most apps hosted in Audiobus started in sync, as long as they support Link or IAA sync, or are AUv3s.

Thank you !