Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Neve 1073 EQ and UA Comp AUv3 on iOS?

As the title says I’m looking for Neve 1073ish eq and universal audio la2a, 3a, 1076 ish compressor for vocals on iOS.

I love Fabfilters stuff and feel blessed to have it, but frankly they’re too ‘clean/transparent’ for my vocal needs. I like something with more color and character. On desktop it was waves CLA -compressors and V-eq. Anything on iOS compare or come close?

Comments

• DDMF 6144 is meant to be a Neve-style EQ:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/6144-equalizer-by-ddmf/id1127457881

And their MagicDeathEye is also a character comrpessor (but not an optical LA2 impression though).

https://apps.apple.com/pl/app/magicdeatheye-ddmf-compressor/id1466360561

I don't of any AUv3 Optical emulations other than the one that is part of FabFilter's Pro-C2 (if you select the "Optical" algorithm).

I use the MagicDeathEye on the vocals for this track:

It's worth noting that in a test run by Blue Mangoo recently (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33292/blue-mangoo-s-take-on-a-compressor-shoot-out/p1) the MagicDeathEye seemed to have some fairly heavy aliasing artifacts, however I can't say that they're audible in my use of the plugin.

• That’s right, I forgot all about that one. I was originally off put by it because I wanted the vintage neve and not the newer portico series (personal unfounded bias from preamp purchasing in the past, etc) so I’ll check that out. Thanks 🙏

And their MagicDeathEye is also a character comrpessor (but not an optical LA2 impression though).

https://apps.apple.com/pl/app/magicdeatheye-ddmf-compressor/id1466360561

I’ve been eying this for a minute but since I’ve been in beatmaking mode instead of songmaking mode I haven’t purchased yet. Is it worth it?

I don't of any AUv3 Optical emulations other than the one that is part of FabFilter's Pro-C2 (if you select the "Optical" algorithm).

I just tried that and it’s not bad. Still not UA (of course, and it isn’t intended to be) but definitely not bad. iOS is so close I swear. A few more niche plugs and we’ll be home free.

I use the MagicDeathEye on the vocals for this track:

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed the listen! What daw are you recording in? Are u bussing your plug ins or applying directly per track?

It's worth noting that in a test run by Blue Mangoo recently (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33292/blue-mangoo-s-take-on-a-compressor-shoot-out/p1) the MagicDeathEye seemed to have some fairly heavy aliasing artifacts, however I can't say that they're audible in my use of the plugin.

Hmmmm...maybe that adds ‘character’ 😂

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed the listen! What daw are you recording in? Are u bussing your plug ins or applying directly per track?

The music was created in NS2, and then the stems were exported to Auria for the vocal tracking and final mix.

The vocals were bussed to a group (main vocal and double), and the compressor was added as an insert on that group. Reverb was a send. The MagicDeathEye definitely adds character and warmth to a vocal to my ears, and is good at adding presence without emphasizing the undesirable pops and mouth noises etc...

• Are we any closer to this on iOS? Would love a universal audio la2a, 3a, 1176 ish compressor for vocals on iOS.

• How about the relatively recent RRS 609?

• @uncledave said:
    How about the relatively recent RRS 609?

That one’s even got 8x oversampling.

• @jolico said:

@uncledave said:

Thanks for the recommendation. That one is actually pretty nice. Just applied it to a vocal track and it’s not bad. Kinda feels SSL’ish or Neve-ish to me. It heavily colors the sound, but in a musical way. I could see using it when I want to get away from a sterile mix pallet.

I love how the UA LA2A/LA3A stuff is able to let the vocal sit in the front of the mix, fully compressed, without the compression being audible. So simple to set up too. Wish we could have it on iOS 🙏

• edited October 2020

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@jolico said:

@uncledave said:

Thanks for the recommendation. That one is actually pretty nice. Just applied it to a vocal track and it’s not bad. Kinda feels SSL’ish or Neve-ish to me. It heavily colors the sound, but in a musical way. I could see using it when I want to get away from a sterile mix pallet.

I love how the UA LA2A/LA3A stuff is able to let the vocal sit in the front of the mix, fully compressed, without the compression being audible. So simple to set up too. Wish we could have it on iOS 🙏

Try a multiband comp that isn’t compressing anything as the last plugin on your vocal track, see if you like what it does as far as pushing the vocal forward.

But I agree the uad la2a is great, I like the gray one better than the silver. The 176 and 175b are even better, but the LA2A is really smooth.