Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Still no multi core support for audio processing on iOS?

Comments

• McDMcD
    edited September 2019

@AudioGus said:

@Michael said... Yeah, that's generally true. Audio rendering – as in, the chain of processing that ends with sound coming out of a speaker somewhere – is typically one thread only, so only on one core. The audio system has a single high-priority thread which does the work of producing audio for each source and mixing it together, and it has a hard deadline for each render interval. Splitting out the work to multiple threads isn't feasible because the system just isn't designed to do that without running the risk of breaching those deadlines. It may not always be that way, especially for rendering across multiple apps in parallel, as far as I'm aware. But it's not that way right now.

To apply this to my shopping analogy. You want a store that runs one checkout lane just for your use. No line. Ever. It can have other lines but you can only use the "no waiting line" for music apps to stay on schedule for that next appointment. Wait an extra minute and you are late and your life goes all to hell.

All to hell it's what happens when your speakers play noise at full volume into a stadium with a PA filled with ticket payers. You never want "all to hell".

There are now computers everywhere when you go to a concert. If you buy digital devices they are chips in there and some type of operating system.

We have crossed the threshold now @vov. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. The odds are stacked against us ever being truly happy.

I need to go pick up somethings at the store to avoid long lines.

• @vov said:

Could you name the app?
    Also, I don’t think memory allocation is a problem for me, I just can’t get enough processing power from my iPad Pro 2018 to run a project that would be pretty standard on Win/Mac.
    I can’t get even close to that. I think it’s because there’s no proper multi core audio processing to run enough Auv3s.

You won't know any of them, because I haven't released them yet. I guess if you go back and look at my old OS X AU's you could figure out what some of them will be. Anything that had suboctave generation would be there. I'll be releasing several of them over the next few months.

Would you expect a Macbook Air to be able to process the same projects as one of the new Mac Pros? That is about the same scale in difference you are asking for between a top end Macbook Pro and an iPad Pro. When Apple compares their A processors to those in an average consumer laptop, remember that that is a laptop that you probably wouldn't use for audio work.

On the other hand, I've seen some pretty impressive projects run on an iPad Air, iPhones even.

Memory is absolutely a primary limitation BTW. My development machine pretty much just accidentally has 24GB in it. My test iPad has two. The way memory must be handled on that kind of platform has a major impact on many of the subsystems. But, I wouldn't want 24GB in my iPad, it would kill the battery. Here's an example of how the memory limitation have an impact directly for me as a developer. My AU PhaseDelayArray had 5 seconds of possible delay in each delay section on OS X. That adds up to a ton of RAM. To port this AU over to iOS and be a reasonable citizen in the app ecosystem, I had to drop the max delay in each section to 2 seconds and make a stack of other optimizations to conserve RAM. The systems are different and you do have to treat them differently both as a user and as a dev.

• vovvov
    edited September 2019

So if there are developers who actually implemented multi core audio processing in their music apps on iOS , I want to know what they’re. I’m quite tired of how slow my iPad Pro is.
    And if anyone knows where the problem with multi core audio processing lies - processors, iOS, apps, ... please share your knowledge.

@NeonSilicon
    My iPad Pro costs as an i7 laptop/tablet, have the same size and drain the battery just as fast if not faster - it’s just doesn’t have the same performance. :smile:

• For the convolution reverb in Rooms!, I used to do multi-core processing as well as processing between subsequent audio callbacks. This helped greatly and worked fine, and I could not understand why other developers said that parallelisation does not work for them. Until I switched to AUv3. GarageBand ruined everything. I had to drop all that brilliant code that I was so proud of, and change to strictly serial calculating within the audio thread (but still using vdsp). Some of the trouble is explained here: polaron.de/Rooms/ConvolutionChanges.html

• Is this another “I want my iPad to be a laptop” thread, but with a new title?

• vovvov
    edited September 2019

@polaron_de said:
    For the convolution reverb in Rooms!, I used to do multi-core processing as well as processing between subsequent audio callbacks. This helped greatly and worked fine, and I could not understand why other developers said that parallelisation does not work for them. Until I switched to AUv3. GarageBand ruined everything. I had to drop all that brilliant code that I was so proud of, and change to strictly serial calculating within the audio thread (but still using vdsp). Some of the trouble is explained here: polaron.de/Rooms/ConvolutionChanges.html

Very interesting, especially about GarageBand. Actually it would be logical for a host app to run several high priority threads for tracks or groups of tracks on different processor cores, and then mix them together (at least it seems that hosts on intel based platforms work like this).
    Can an independent developer utilize several high priority threads on iOS? Or Apple reserves it just for themselves?

• @vov said:
    Can an independent developer utilize several high priority threads on iOS? Or Apple reserves it just for themselves?

Any independent developer can write code that screws up other programs. Apple is just better at it than most.

• vovvov
    edited September 2019

@wim said:

@vov said:

Any independent developer can write code that screws up other programs. Apple is just better at it than most.

Please explain what exactly you are talking about, and give some examples.

• @polaron_de said:
    For the convolution reverb in Rooms!, I used to do multi-core processing as well as processing between subsequent audio callbacks. This helped greatly and worked fine, and I could not understand why other developers said that parallelisation does not work for them. Until I switched to AUv3. GarageBand ruined everything.

what method of distributing calclutations between threads you used ? Traditional way, where all threads needs to deliver result for next audio callback round, so they need to finish their job within few miliseconds range, or different approach ?

• @dendy said:

@polaron_de said:
    For the convolution reverb in Rooms!, I used to do multi-core processing as well as processing between subsequent audio callbacks. This helped greatly and worked fine, and I could not understand why other developers said that parallelisation does not work for them. Until I switched to AUv3. GarageBand ruined everything.

what method of distributing calclutations between threads you used ? Traditional way, where all threads needs to deliver result for next audio callback round, so they need to finish their job within few miliseconds range, or different approach ?

"Traditional", if you wish to call it such.

• edited September 2019

@vov said:

@wim said:

@vov said:

Please explain what exactly you are talking about, and give some examples.

If you flood the GCD queues with tasks that don't finish or take extremely long, then other processes / other apps / the whole system will starve. Sandboxing does not prevent this, and there seems to be no quota system.

• @brambos said:
    Is this another “I want my iPad to be a laptop” thread, but with a new title?

Yep.

• vovvov
    edited September 2019

@hansjbs said:

@brambos said:

Yep.

It’s more of I want my iPad to perform according to its cost in any way it can, but it doesn’t work even with the apps that are already there and crashes all the time. And there gonna be more threads like this because there’re gonna be more and more people who want from their devices something more substantial than finger-painting capabilities. :)

• I’m not sure if I should worry about multi core processing or not. All I know is that most of the time my CPU is at a leasurely 50% while RAM is packed like a shopping basket on a Saturday afternoon. Because of this I’ve grown to hunt for the high Ram devices rather than bionic this or that. I know the picture might be different for different user cases but that’s mine.

• @supadom said:
    I’m not sure if I should worry about multi core processing or not. All I know is that most of the time my CPU is at a leasurely 50% while RAM is packed like a shopping basket on a Saturday afternoon. Because of this I’ve grown to hunt for the high Ram devices rather than bionic this or that. I know the picture might be different for different user cases but that’s mine.

You’re really lucky cause I use synths emulation with quality fx and there’s no way to do it on iOS. I mean the synths and fx are there, but system performance isn’t.

• @vov said:

@hansjbs said:

@brambos said:

Yep.

It’s more of I want my iPad to perform according to its cost in any way it can, but it doesn’t work even with the apps that are already there and crashes all the time. And there gonna be more threads like this because there’re gonna be more and more people who want from their devices something more substantial than finger-painting capabilities. :)

I thought it was already pretty clear from the other threads that the ipad will probably never fulfill your expectations.Why not move on?

You must do something wrong as well,crashes are rare here and i also like to push the limits with i.e.Auria.But Knowing how far you can go,before things go nuts,helps.

• edited September 2019

@brambos said:

When it comes to mouse/keyboard support then yah I typically don’t play. I want to keep my glass based UI pure and shiny so to speak.

A lot of people buy hardware based on specs though and if they upgraded to a Pro assuming they could run 4-6x instances of AUs but they only get 2-3x (shelling out the big four figures in the process) then yah I could see them feeling annoyed.

• @Crabman said:

@vov said:

@hansjbs said:

@brambos said:

Yep.

I thought it was already pretty clear from the other threads that the ipad will probably never fulfill your expectations.Why not move on?

You must do something wrong as well,crashes are rare here and i also like to push the limits with i.e.Auria.But Knowing how far you can go,before things go nuts,helps.

No. Apple took my money, so they should make their stuff work or issue a refund.
    Until then I’m gonna tell the truth about their crappy products.
    As to pushing limits , I heard that many times but there’s not a single project to really show it off.

• vovvov
    edited September 2019

@AudioGus said:

@brambos said:

When it comes to mouse/keyboard support then yah I typically don’t play. I want to keep my glass based UI pure and shiny so to speak.

A lot of people buy hardware based on specs though and if they upgraded to a Pro assuming they could run 4x instances of AUs but they only get 2x (shelling out the big four figures in the process) then yah I could see them feeling annoyed.

It’s actually 0.5x. I don’t know how but A12x models are slower than A10.
    Apple is crazy. I share your sentiment about the interface, but what’s the point if audio performance isn’t there.

• @vov said:

@AudioGus said:

@brambos said:

A lot of people buy hardware based on specs though and if they upgraded to a Pro assuming they could run 4x instances of AUs but they only get 2x (shelling out the big four figures in the process) then yah I could see them feeling annoyed.

It’s actually 0.5x.

Which two devices are you referring to?

• @vov said:
    Any actually

?

Ahh hyperbole.

• edited September 2019

@vov
    It’s actually 0.5x. I don’t know how but A12x models are slower than A10.

that is simply untrue.. i did a lot performance tests with various devices and my results are different..

yeah, single core performance of A12x is almost same like A12 - that's why 2018 pro models aren't worth to buy compared to 2019 AIR/Mini models, but both A12/A12x are significantly faster in single core operations than A10.

• edited September 2019

@vov said:
    Any actually, it’s not only me. Just look at this thread.
    [https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34746/ipados-13-

Why are you referring to this thread! I told you to stop trolling me! The thread you reference is about ios13 beta and being able to run more au instances possibly. Not about how upset you are with your ipad.

• @vov : if you spend some time learning different workflows, you can have a better experience.

Many hear are getting good results and working with lots of tracks and CPU-heavy instruments and figuring out ways to make that work.

As others have said: you can't have a desktop experience/workflow on your iPad.

We can't change that. You have made your feelings clear.

It feels like you are investing a lot of energy in your disappointment. Maybe focus on figuring out how to make it work for you within its actual limits or move on.

• @vov said:

@Crabman said:

@vov said:

@hansjbs said:

@brambos said:

Yep.

No. Apple took my money, so they should make their stuff work or issue a refund.

They won't,better to deal with it.So much wasted energy.Selling the ipad is an option though.Resale value should be still high for a 2018 pro.

• vovvov
    edited September 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    @vov : if you spend some time learning different workflows, you can have a better experience.

Many hear are getting good results and working with lots of tracks and CPU-heavy instruments and figuring out ways to make that work.

As others have said: you can't have a desktop experience/workflow on your iPad.

We can't change that. You have made your feelings clear.

It feels like you are investing a lot of energy in your disappointment. Maybe focus on figuring out how to make it work for you within its actual limits or move on.

I’m not talking about ‘experience’ , I’m talking about audio performance which is far far worse on iPads. I haven’t seen a single video of what you call ‘CPU heavy’ project which could compare to what is normal for a laptop. It’s not even possible because iOS doesn’t seem to utilize multi core properly. Of course you could do it by recording and processing each track separately but it’s so lame compared to a laptop. Ipads are crap for music production, just because lazy Apple mangers haven’t time to create a proper environment for this.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

Why are you referring to this thread! I told you to stop trolling me! The thread you reference is about ios13 beta and being able to run more au instances possibly. Not about how upset you are with your ipad.

Just on the first page of your thread there were two comments about iPad Pros A12X bad performance. I stopped posting in your thread as you asked, so there’s no reason for you two get grumpy.

• @vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

Just on the first page of your thread there were two comments about iPad Pros A12X bad performance. I stopped posting in your thread as you asked, so there’s no reason for you two get grumpy.

Ill stop being grumpy when you stop moaning about your ipad.

• vovvov
    edited September 2019

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

Ill stop being grumpy when you stop moaning about your ipad.

Get lost - troll, spread your BS in your thread.