Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What’s so special/bad about Catalina.

Over the last couple of days I’ve had loads of e-mails from companies saying don’t upgrade to Catalina or their software will melt down ....

«1

Comments

  • This will be the first time I will not update my MacBook Air to a new version of the system!

    Drivers will need special signing and who knows when Yamaha will update their drivers and have the installation verified by Apple meaning I will not be able to use my UR-242 if I would update...

    This 'stuff' has something to do with no drivers having to run in 'user space' and who knows how much latency (due to every 'i/o transaction' having to be negotiated and verified by the kernel) this will add in practice and that in turn will force people to get faster computers to reduce latency...

    All this 'privacy' and 'security' stuff that is the cause for the issues sounds good to paranoid people who want to feel 'safe'.

    32-Bit support will also be removed completely meaning apps that might still rely on older libraries will simply refuse to run.

    For me this would mean that my beloved Renoise will not run on macOS Catalina since it includes a 'bridge app' to allow it to run 32-bit Plug-Ins. (I could always run Linux since the Renoise license is cross platform).

    So yeah, honestly Apple really screwed up this time around...

    What's next 'deprecate' macOS completely and look for other solutions?
    (That thought has crossed my mind and go iOS/iPadOS only and scrap the computers since I don't like managing them anyway).

    /End of Rant

  • @Samu said:
    This will be the first time I will not update my MacBook Air to a new version of the system!

    Drivers will need special signing and who knows when Yamaha will update their drivers and have the installation verified by Apple meaning I will not be able to use my UR-242 if I would update...

    This 'stuff' has something to do with no drivers having to run in 'user space' and who knows how much latency (due to every 'i/o transaction' having to be negotiated and verified by the kernel) this will add in practice and that in turn will force people to get faster computers to reduce latency...

    All this 'privacy' and 'security' stuff that is the cause for the issues sounds good to paranoid people who want to feel 'safe'.

    32-Bit support will also be removed completely meaning apps that might still rely on older libraries will simply refuse to run.

    For me this would mean that my beloved Renoise will not run on macOS Catalina since it includes a 'bridge app' to allow it to run 32-bit Plug-Ins. (I could always run Linux since the Renoise license is cross platform).

    So yeah, honestly Apple really screwed up this time around...

    What's next 'deprecate' macOS completely and look for other solutions?
    (That thought has crossed my mind and go iOS/iPadOS only and scrap the computers since I don't like managing them anyway).

    /End of Rant

    If Samu starts to rant it is serious business ;)
    btw besides Apple I see also Google making everybody paranoid about security. If a website is not https you can't even normally access it anymore in browsers by those companies. Seems the internet is become more medium that is controlled by big corps that only want you to consume what they offer.

  • @mannix said:

    If Samu starts to rant it is serious business ;)
    btw besides Apple I see also Google making everybody paranoid about security. If a website is not https you can't even normally access it anymore in browsers by those companies. Seems the internet is become more medium that is controlled by big corps that only want you to consume what they offer.

    Just expressing my concern here since I have a bunch of apps that I use that will simply stop working and that's not fun :(
    Most Plug-Ins and Hosts will also need an update and Apple has historically been lazy with Logic Pro X updates meaning once Catalina ships it could take months before the Logic Pro X update drops...

    So the article over at cdm is quite valid and should at least be looked at by those that might feel worried of the effects.
    https://cdm.link/2019/09/macos-catalina-will-be-incompatible-with-much-of-your-music-software-heres-what-to-know/

  • edited September 12

    @Samu said:
    This will be the first time I will not update my MacBook Air to a new version of the system!

    Drivers will need special signing and who knows when Yamaha will update their drivers and have the installation verified by Apple meaning I will not be able to use my UR-242 if I would update...

    This 'stuff' has something to do with no drivers having to run in 'user space' and who knows how much latency (due to every 'i/o transaction' having to be negotiated and verified by the kernel) this will add in practice and that in turn will force people to get faster computers to reduce latency...

    All this 'privacy' and 'security' stuff that is the cause for the issues sounds good to paranoid people who want to feel 'safe'.

    32-Bit support will also be removed completely meaning apps that might still rely on older libraries will simply refuse to run.

    For me this would mean that my beloved Renoise will not run on macOS Catalina since it includes a 'bridge app' to allow it to run 32-bit Plug-Ins. (I could always run Linux since the Renoise license is cross platform).

    So yeah, honestly Apple really screwed up this time around...

    What's next 'deprecate' macOS completely and look for other solutions?
    (That thought has crossed my mind and go iOS/iPadOS only and scrap the computers since I don't like managing them anyway).

    /End of Rant

    I run all my Mac music software off a bootable external SSD. I recently updated it to High Sierra, but I’ll leave it on that for the time being.

    The SSD was £60, and means I can keep the internal laptop drive just for business and work, and the SSD for silly stuff.

  • Catalina beta wiped out a ton of my Logic projects. There is no indication that the file corruption issues have been resolved. Stay ye therefore away.

  • Catalina is out in public now.

    I'll play chicken this time as I don't want to loose many of the apps I use that are not 'Catalina Ready'.
    It's not just about 64-bit it's also about the libraries they use. Big F-U at Apple this time around from me...

  • @MonzoPro said:

    @Samu said:
    This will be the first time I will not update my MacBook Air to a new version of the system!

    Drivers will need special signing and who knows when Yamaha will update their drivers and have the installation verified by Apple meaning I will not be able to use my UR-242 if I would update...

    This 'stuff' has something to do with no drivers having to run in 'user space' and who knows how much latency (due to every 'i/o transaction' having to be negotiated and verified by the kernel) this will add in practice and that in turn will force people to get faster computers to reduce latency...

    All this 'privacy' and 'security' stuff that is the cause for the issues sounds good to paranoid people who want to feel 'safe'.

    32-Bit support will also be removed completely meaning apps that might still rely on older libraries will simply refuse to run.

    For me this would mean that my beloved Renoise will not run on macOS Catalina since it includes a 'bridge app' to allow it to run 32-bit Plug-Ins. (I could always run Linux since the Renoise license is cross platform).

    So yeah, honestly Apple really screwed up this time around...

    What's next 'deprecate' macOS completely and look for other solutions?
    (That thought has crossed my mind and go iOS/iPadOS only and scrap the computers since I don't like managing them anyway).

    /End of Rant

    I run all my Mac music software off a bootable external SSD. I recently updated it to High Sierra, but I’ll leave it on that for the time being.

    The SSD was £60, and means I can keep the internal laptop drive just for business and work, and the SSD for silly stuff.

    How?

  • According to taktik (Renoise Dev) he's so far not bumped into any issues with Catalina.
    I'll give it some time...

  • I had some much email this time round saying don’t update to Catalina from music software companies, it’s seems it breaks everything.

    I had a MBP for a week now so the OS is all new to me being a Windows User.

    I’m enjoying the Mac experience but my biggest headache so far is iCloud Drive and is or isn’t it using my Mac internal storage! The storage functionality and how Apple controls what it throws in the cloud and on my drives is a big offput.

    I hope at some point they give us better control over storage and freeing up drive space to what currently there in Mac OS.

  • @BiancaNeve said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @Samu said:
    This will be the first time I will not update my MacBook Air to a new version of the system!

    Drivers will need special signing and who knows when Yamaha will update their drivers and have the installation verified by Apple meaning I will not be able to use my UR-242 if I would update...

    This 'stuff' has something to do with no drivers having to run in 'user space' and who knows how much latency (due to every 'i/o transaction' having to be negotiated and verified by the kernel) this will add in practice and that in turn will force people to get faster computers to reduce latency...

    All this 'privacy' and 'security' stuff that is the cause for the issues sounds good to paranoid people who want to feel 'safe'.

    32-Bit support will also be removed completely meaning apps that might still rely on older libraries will simply refuse to run.

    For me this would mean that my beloved Renoise will not run on macOS Catalina since it includes a 'bridge app' to allow it to run 32-bit Plug-Ins. (I could always run Linux since the Renoise license is cross platform).

    So yeah, honestly Apple really screwed up this time around...

    What's next 'deprecate' macOS completely and look for other solutions?
    (That thought has crossed my mind and go iOS/iPadOS only and scrap the computers since I don't like managing them anyway).

    /End of Rant

    I run all my Mac music software off a bootable external SSD. I recently updated it to High Sierra, but I’ll leave it on that for the time being.

    The SSD was £60, and means I can keep the internal laptop drive just for business and work, and the SSD for silly stuff.

    How?

    Install the OS onto the SSD, then your software, then you can choose to boot from it at startup.

  • I think it will be ok, maybe even better when things get sorted out (tho I’m not a Mac user)... I remember the same thing when Windows 10 was first coming out.. Same thing with the emails, but it all got sorted.. In fact, I think Windows 10 is the best version they made, once I got my head around it.. Very stable.. I think it will happen with Apple too?... Just give it a bit of time... They have plans that is close to there chest.. It may be good for iOS also?... People need to be a little bit more patient for the software devs to get around Apple way of thinking.. I’m sure it will turn out to be good?... :)

  • @Samu, yep, this paranoid "security" bullshit in all its various forms is also the reason why I've started to hate using computers and doing software development. It's also -- ironically -- the reason why I've started to avoid using any cloud-based services whatsoever, as far as possible. I got locked out of my Apple ID, and so essentially my life, already once for a few days "for my own safety", and one of my clients permanently lost access to their Google account, including all that that entails, because they changed their mobile phone number or something.

    The world didn't end when people still used stinking normal "login/password" pairs (roughly between 1960 and 2010).

    And regarding the driver signing etc.: I had my own "lovely" experience with that when in Xequence, device-motion based controllers suddenly simply stopped working, because recently, the movement of your device is considered "dangerous private data". I mean, seriously... how far are they gonna take it? When will owning any digital device be flat out prohibited to protect people from themselves?

  • To be fair, the plan to remove support for 32-bit apps was announced years ago. It didn’t happen overnight. The developers had plenty of time to react, and most of them did.

    As for those music software companies warning their users not to upgrade... The first beta version for developers was released months ago. Why wait till the last moment?

  • I'll just install and get over with it, shit that breaks, breaks. It's my 'hobby' so my life doesn't depend really on it :)
    (Sure, bye bye to Custic, NanoStudio, Deflemask and a few others but that's life).

    Most likely the Reason Authorizer will fail too so bye bye Reason Lite until an update comes along...

  • @SevenSystems said:
    @Samu, yep, this paranoid "security" bullshit in all its various forms is also the reason why I've started to hate using computers and doing software development. It's also -- ironically -- the reason why I've started to avoid using any cloud-based services whatsoever, as far as possible. I got locked out of my Apple ID, and so essentially my life, already once for a few days "for my own safety", and one of my clients permanently lost access to their Google account, including all that that entails, because they changed their mobile phone number or something.

    The world didn't end when people still used stinking normal "login/password" pairs (roughly between 1960 and 2010).

    And regarding the driver signing etc.: I had my own "lovely" experience with that when in Xequence, device-motion based controllers suddenly simply stopped working, because recently, the movement of your device is considered "dangerous private data". I mean, seriously... how far are they gonna take it? When will owning any digital device be flat out prohibited to protect people from themselves

    I’m locked out of a couple of old Yahoo and Gmail accounts - both are asking me for answers to questions I didn’t set, and neither have contactable support. So I’ve also lost access to several Blogger and Youtube accounts as a result. All because I tried logging in from a new device.

    Ridiculous.

  • Interestingly enough the 32-bit plug-in wrapper used by Renoise still works under Catalina :)
    So far it's running ok...

  • Saw this today...
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/7/20903391/apple-macos-catalina-itunes-dj-software-breaks-xml-file-support-removal-update

    That would be a bummer if you spent a few years putting that work in.

  • And well, since there's no Steinberg driver for macOS Catalina my UR-242 is running in class compliant mode which means I'm not to use the dspMixFX app to control it until a driver becomes availble. (I can use the iPad to configure the interface though).

    So far the most annoying thing has been each and every app asking for permission to access my documents folder or even the desktop...

  • @reasOne said:
    Y2K!!

    I used to work as a programmer in a cancer center. One of my jobs was to update all of our code for Y2K. If you ever needed treatment there, you should probably be happy that they paid out the money to have me do the fixes.

    @DYMS said:
    Saw this today...
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/7/20903391/apple-macos-catalina-itunes-dj-software-breaks-xml-file-support-removal-update

    That would be a bummer if you spent a few years putting that work in.

    Makes me wonder why devs constantly use hacks when there are documented API's to do the job.

    I'm assuming that everyone upset about the new security features keep all of their machines air gapped? SIP in particular is very important. Ask all the professionals that got hit by Google's stupid Chrome update a few weeks ago that overwrote /var how useful SIP would have been on their machines. The networked world today isn't the same world as ten years ago. If we want all of the convenience of the always connected world, we need to accept that there has to be some security enhancements to make it possible.

  • @yug said:
    To be fair, the plan to remove support for 32-bit apps was announced years ago. It didn’t happen overnight. The developers had plenty of time to react, and most of them did.

    As for those music software companies warning their users not to upgrade... The first beta version for developers was released months ago. Why wait till the last moment?

    I can think of several reasons:
    1. They were waiting to see if Apple would fix problems that weren’t 32bit related
    2. Regular users wouldn’t be interested in warnings about software that isn’t out yet
    3. They were still trying to fix it themselves and hoped they would make it in time

    I think the timing was good, earlier would have been forgotten, later would have missed the early adopters.

  • What is Apple doing?

    Honestly?

  • @RUST( i )K said:
    What is Apple doing?

    Honestly?

    Assuming they are right and the world will march to their orders. Business as usual. (And they're probably right that resistance is futile.)

  • Reason Lite, Ableton Live Lite work as expected (quick time export crashes the app though).
    Don't have too many 3rd party plug-ins so I'm good here...

    Most of the apps I use on daily basis seem to work as expected, so from me it's a go.
    Still waiting for Yamaha/Steinberg to deliver proper drivers so I can configure my UR-242.

    IK and Akai still have some work to do with their editor apps...
    (I don't honestly use the iRigPads or MPK's that much).

    Most importantly for me Renoise and SunVox work just fine!

  • So far I’m rather underwhelmed by the Sidecar feature after updating my iMac. I was hoping that it would bring the drawing experience of the iPad and Apple Pencil to the Mac so I could open up 60 artboards in Affinity Designer and sketch away.. the mirrored screen looks pretty awful on the 12.9 iPad screen, the gestures don’t work seamlessly and the drawing experience doesn’t translate because of the small windows and pressure curve differences. I’m hoping they’ll fix these issues to make it more usable as the update has rendered my old Wacom tablet useless (hopefully there’ll be a driver update). Just thought I’d share incase anyone had high hopes for this feature like I did.

  • edited October 8

    I usually welcome all the macOS/iOS changes, or at least I understand that it's pointless to refuse to update, it's the future anyway, you want it or not, you can't avoid it forever, so it's better to get used to it sooner rather than later.

    However the removal of 32bit support in desktop OS is a very very strange decision. When Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel, there 1. was Rosetta to have at least some (slow) way of running old software, and 2. the situation was different, there was not so much OS X software at all.

    While this time they killed support for 32bit apps with absolutely no way to run them, and there's much more existing 32bit software, especially games a lot of which will never be updated for 64bit. I expect a lot of people to get angry once they find out half of their Steam library will not work anymore, and I don't see what Apple can respond.

  • @mifki said:
    I usually welcome all the macOS/iOS changes, or at least I understand that it's pointless to refuse to update, it's the future anyway, you want it or not, you can't avoid it forever, so it's better to get used to it sooner rather than later.

    However the removal of 32bit support in desktop OS is a very very strange decision. When Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel, there 1. was Rosetta to have at least some (slow) way of running old software, and 2. the situation was different, there was not so much OS X software at all.

    While this time they killed support for 32bit apps with absolutely no way to run them, and there's much more existing 32bit software, especially games a lot of which will never be updated for 64bit. I expect a lot of people to get angry once they find out half of their Steam library will not work anymore, and I don't see what Apple can respond.

    Apple started the transition to 64-bit when they were still on the PowerPC. If I remember this correctly, I clicked the little check box to transition my applications to 64-bit on a PowerPC based iMac. If it weren't that iMac then it was the first gen Intel one. It was that easy too. I just had to click a check box and recompile and then all of the software I'd written for OS X was 64-bit. Rosetta was pulled from Snow Leopard and then completely removed with Lion.

    Apple has been supporting legacy 32-bit apps for far longer than Rosetta existed. They should have done the final killing off of legacy 32-bit applications long ago.

  • I don’t consider 32bit apps “legacy”. It’s not some other technology (like PowerPC) or something deprecated. There’s nothing inherently bad with 32bit code, CPU can run it just fine, so to kill or not to kill is purely their personal decision. Also it’s much more difficult to justify this to end users - they didn’t buy any new incompatible hardware, what’s inside the apps - 32 or 64bit - is all the same to them, and yet suddenly some of their software stopped working forever.

    Of course it’s easy to update current projects to 64bit, and there’s no excuse for not doing so. But that’s not the software I’m talking about.

    Yes, probably the most affected software is games which you may not consider important. Apart from smaller titles, there is Age of Empires, Bioshock, Call of duty, Civilization IV, Half-Life/Portal/TF, GTA, Sims, Witcher, Warcraft, HoMM, plus countless Windows games run via Wine - these are all big titles with lots of current players. They either haven’t been updated yet or will never be updated. OSX just recently started to get enough attention from game developers and gamers, so this move is definitely bad for the industry.

  • @mifki said:
    I don’t consider 32bit apps “legacy”. It’s not some other technology (like PowerPC) or something deprecated. There’s nothing inherently bad with 32bit code, CPU can run it just fine, so to kill or not to kill is purely their personal decision. Also it’s much more difficult to justify this to end users - they didn’t buy any new incompatible hardware, what’s inside the apps - 32 or 64bit - is all the same to them, and yet suddenly some of their software stopped working forever.

    Of course it’s easy to update current projects to 64bit, and there’s no excuse for not doing so. But that’s not the software I’m talking about.

    Yes, probably the most affected software is games which you may not consider important. Apart from smaller titles, there is Age of Empires, Bioshock, Call of duty, Civilization IV, Half-Life/Portal/TF, GTA, Sims, Witcher, Warcraft, HoMM, plus countless Windows games run via Wine - these are all big titles with lots of current players. They either haven’t been updated yet or will never be updated. OSX just recently started to get enough attention from game developers and gamers, so this move is definitely bad for the industry.

    If Apple had killed off 32-bit apps when they should have, then the games you have listed there would have been written as 64-bit originally and there wouldn't be a problem now.

    There are many benefits to clearing out the support for 32 bit applications. Mainly, this is a huge amount code that has to be maintained and can hold back development of new tools and libraries. It is something that does have to happen and devs have known it was coming for more than a decade.

    I have some tools that are going to be gone now. My plan is to set up a VM and run Linux in it until the tools get updated or I find replacements. It's certainly not the first time I've had to change tools because old stuff wasn't supported anymore. I don't expect it to be the last either. But it is absolutely true that the tools I have now are better than those that I've lost.

  • If Apple had killed off 32-bit apps when they should have,
    It is something that does have to happen and devs have known it was coming for more than a decade.

    Again, why do you think 32bit support is bad and had to be removed? Basically, now the OS doesn't allow the functionality that the hardware supports. Why does it have to be this way? Yes, it requires a bit more work, but as you said yourself, if the code is good, then supporting both architectures is just a matter of a checkbox.

    then the games you have listed there would have been written as 64-bit originally and there wouldn't be a problem now.

    Oh, of course not! These games have been ported from Windows, where they were and are 32bit. If it were not possible, they wouldn't exist on Mac at all - which, again, is not good for anyone.

Sign In or Register to comment.