Audiobus: Your virtual music studio.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What’s so special/bad about Catalina.

Over the last couple of days I’ve had loads of e-mails from companies saying don’t upgrade to Catalina or their software will melt down ....

Comments

• This will be the first time I will not update my MacBook Air to a new version of the system!

Drivers will need special signing and who knows when Yamaha will update their drivers and have the installation verified by Apple meaning I will not be able to use my UR-242 if I would update...

This 'stuff' has something to do with no drivers having to run in 'user space' and who knows how much latency (due to every 'i/o transaction' having to be negotiated and verified by the kernel) this will add in practice and that in turn will force people to get faster computers to reduce latency...

All this 'privacy' and 'security' stuff that is the cause for the issues sounds good to paranoid people who want to feel 'safe'.

32-Bit support will also be removed completely meaning apps that might still rely on older libraries will simply refuse to run.

For me this would mean that my beloved Renoise will not run on macOS Catalina since it includes a 'bridge app' to allow it to run 32-bit Plug-Ins. (I could always run Linux since the Renoise license is cross platform).

So yeah, honestly Apple really screwed up this time around...

What's next 'deprecate' macOS completely and look for other solutions?
    (That thought has crossed my mind and go iOS/iPadOS only and scrap the computers since I don't like managing them anyway).

/End of Rant

• @Samu said:
    This will be the first time I will not update my MacBook Air to a new version of the system!

Drivers will need special signing and who knows when Yamaha will update their drivers and have the installation verified by Apple meaning I will not be able to use my UR-242 if I would update...

This 'stuff' has something to do with no drivers having to run in 'user space' and who knows how much latency (due to every 'i/o transaction' having to be negotiated and verified by the kernel) this will add in practice and that in turn will force people to get faster computers to reduce latency...

All this 'privacy' and 'security' stuff that is the cause for the issues sounds good to paranoid people who want to feel 'safe'.

32-Bit support will also be removed completely meaning apps that might still rely on older libraries will simply refuse to run.

For me this would mean that my beloved Renoise will not run on macOS Catalina since it includes a 'bridge app' to allow it to run 32-bit Plug-Ins. (I could always run Linux since the Renoise license is cross platform).

(That thought has crossed my mind and go iOS/iPadOS only and scrap the computers since I don't like managing them anyway).

/End of Rant

If Samu starts to rant it is serious business ;)
    btw besides Apple I see also Google making everybody paranoid about security. If a website is not https you can't even normally access it anymore in browsers by those companies. Seems the internet is become more medium that is controlled by big corps that only want you to consume what they offer.

• @mannix said:

If Samu starts to rant it is serious business ;)
    btw besides Apple I see also Google making everybody paranoid about security. If a website is not https you can't even normally access it anymore in browsers by those companies. Seems the internet is become more medium that is controlled by big corps that only want you to consume what they offer.

Just expressing my concern here since I have a bunch of apps that I use that will simply stop working and that's not fun :(
    Most Plug-Ins and Hosts will also need an update and Apple has historically been lazy with Logic Pro X updates meaning once Catalina ships it could take months before the Logic Pro X update drops...

So the article over at cdm is quite valid and should at least be looked at by those that might feel worried of the effects.
    https://cdm.link/2019/09/macos-catalina-will-be-incompatible-with-much-of-your-music-software-heres-what-to-know/

• edited September 12

@Samu said:
    This will be the first time I will not update my MacBook Air to a new version of the system!

/End of Rant

I run all my Mac music software off a bootable external SSD. I recently updated it to High Sierra, but I’ll leave it on that for the time being.

The SSD was £60, and means I can keep the internal laptop drive just for business and work, and the SSD for silly stuff.

• Catalina beta wiped out a ton of my Logic projects. There is no indication that the file corruption issues have been resolved. Stay ye therefore away.