Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DigiStix by 4Pockets - LIVE!!!!

Comments

• @realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:
    Is there a way of getting the midi into NS2?

Does NS2 support MIDI out from AUv3?

No. Not natively.

But you can use 3rd party plugins to work around it.

Bummer. I know I can use midi tools (or whatever it’s called - I have it) but will that trigger the samples in digistix? Ignore this - I was answering a different question and can’t work out how to now delete it!

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

Bummer. I know I can use midi tools (or whatever it’s called - I have it) but will that trigger the samples in digistix? Ignore this - I was answering a different question and can’t work out how to now delete it!

@wim said:
    I’m confused. If you’re using Digistix in NS2, you don’t need the midi to go out of it to trigger it. It should all happen inside the app. Doesn’t the sequencer just play the sounds right in the app?

Yes, but what I wondered is if you can, in NS2 (my new tool of choice), record the midi from DigiStix into NS2, and then that midi triggers the samples in digistix. It would be possible, in other words, to also draw notes in NS2, which triggers the notes in DigiStix. Make sense? Maybe you can do this - I’ve just not worked out how to do that yet.

Yes I do exactly that in GarageBand. Build the sequence in Digistix then “print” the MIDI back out to GarageBand for further arranging.

Not sure what you mean. In NS2 I’ve tried pressing the record button (in NS2), thinking - hoping - that it would then record the pattern from DigiStix into NS2. That doesn’t work, though - nothing happens, even though DigiStix is hosted by NS2 as an auv3. What do you mean by ‘print’, in this context. Thanks - sorry if I’m being a bit fick 😇

I don’t own NS2, but what I think it means is that NS2 can’t yet receive MIDI outputted from an AUv3. The various hosts still have a ways to go in terms of fully supporting AUv3.

Thanks. Yes, I know the midi hack - as wim pointed it out. I feel daft for not remembering this. Will try it out in the morning. Cheers.

• @audio_DT said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@wim said:
    I’m confused. If you’re using Digistix in NS2, you don’t need the midi to go out of it to trigger it. It should all happen inside the app. Doesn’t the sequencer just play the sounds right in the app?

Yes, but what I wondered is if you can, in NS2 (my new tool of choice), record the midi from DigiStix into NS2, and then that midi triggers the samples in digistix. It would be possible, in other words, to also draw notes in NS2, which triggers the notes in DigiStix. Make sense? Maybe you can do this - I’ve just not worked out how to do that yet.

Yes I do exactly that in GarageBand. Build the sequence in Digistix then “print” the MIDI back out to GarageBand for further arranging.

Not sure what you mean. In NS2 I’ve tried pressing the record button (in NS2), thinking - hoping - that it would then record the pattern from DigiStix into NS2. That doesn’t work, though - nothing happens, even though DigiStix is hosted by NS2 as an auv3. What do you mean by ‘print’, in this context. Thanks - sorry if I’m being a bit fick 😇

Did my previous post make any sense to you? I know, it’s confusing.

NS2 can’t do anything internally with the midi out from AU midi plugins. So you have to do a hack to make it work. The midi route plugin is that hack. Basically, it intercepts that midi and sends it out and back in to NS2. In this way, you can receive that inbound midi on another track.

Here’s what “should” work...

• Create an AU instrument track and load digistix on it.
    • add the midi route plugin on this track as an AU midi FX
    • add another AU instrument track. This one will be able to record the midi. You can then either route this midi to the first track if you know how to do that, or just load another digistix instance to play that that midi.

Sorry, I’m not sure how to explain it better than that, and I don’t have digistix to actually test. But this is how other similar apps can be made to work.

Thanks, Wim. I get you now. I know the midi route hack, yes, so will try it in the morning - I’m off to bed shortly. I wonder if that midi will trigger the samples in DigiStix? It should do, theoretically, but will let you know tomorrow. Cheers.

Just tried it - no success.

• I don’t see any evidence that Digi outputs MIDI. An update is due any time so maybe it’s just not there yet.

• @anickt said:
    I don’t see any evidence that Digi outputs MIDI. An update is due any time so maybe it’s just not there yet.

It absoluty does tested and verified in GarageBand.. you just have to enable “host sync in Digistix”. I imagine it would work similarly in Cubasis and AUM...will test tomorrow

• F> @realdawei said:

@anickt said:
    I don’t see any evidence that Digi outputs MIDI. An update is due any time so maybe it’s just not there yet.

It absoluty does tested and verified in GarageBand.. you just have to enable “host sync in Digistix”. I imagine it would work similarly in Cubasis and AUM...will test tomorrow

That’s sync. I think we’re looking for note info here. When I put a MIDI Monitor on it nothing shows up.

• @anickt said:
    F> @realdawei said:

@anickt said:

That’s sync. I think we’re looking for note info here. When I put a MIDI Monitor on it nothing shows up.

DigiStix outputs midi when you load it as a midi generator (rather than audio instrument).

Tested in AUM.

• edited September 2019

@anickt said:
    F> @realdawei said:

@anickt said:

Lol it is IN FACT note info that is saved to the GarageBand timeline. I repeat, coming out of Digistix into the GB time line are legendary MIDI events.

These notes in the timeline came out of the Digistix plugin:

• @gusgranite said:

@anickt said:
    F> @realdawei said:

@anickt said:

DigiStix outputs midi when you load it as a midi generator (rather than audio instrument).

Tested in AUM.

Yup. I load two kits on two instances and route MIDI from the first to the second. That way, I can easily layer two kits.

I also recorded step input into Atom from Digistix using the same method.

• @Empolo said:

@gusgranite said:

@anickt said:
    F> @realdawei said:

@anickt said:

Tested in AUM.

Yup. I load two kits on two instances and route MIDI from the first to the second. That way, I can easily layer two kits.

I also recorded step input into Atom from Digistix using the same method.

I stand corrected! B)

• I just used AppStore to “Gift” Digistix to one of my best friends. First time I ever tried that feature 🔥

• @realdawei said:
    I just used AppStore to “Gift” Digistix to one of my best friends. First time I ever tried that feature 🔥

Good on you. Maybe we should have a designated Day of The Year for giving an IOS music app to a friend etc. As dear old Kakuzo Okakura used to say: Let us dream of evanescence, and linger in the beautiful foolishness of things....

• Got it and like it. The standalone version seems to loose a lot of screen real estate on its auv3 host container. Is there a way to zoom/go fullscreen in standalone? If not Ill request it

• Got it. Some additional limitations I’m seeing : 1) no probability per step 2) no polyrhythms - tracks can’t vary per track / sound 3) midi out is limited to notes, not seeing a way to adding midi CCs to sequencer. These factors might keep me using Octachron.

Some positives: 1) pattern length can differ per pattern. 2) importing samples in standalone mode works well, but prefer importing in AU. 3) overall well designed and easy to navigate like other 4pockets apps.

• Will still enjoy a vid from wiser hands etc.

• edited September 2019

@horsetrainer said:
    I just purchased and have been messing around with it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to loop the song mode? So once the song reaches the end of the song chain, it automatically loops back to the beginning and plays the chain again?

This was also a question of mine. Didn‘t get it. Maybe song mode and looping exclude each other...

• @Satie said:

@horsetrainer said:
    I just purchased and have been messing around with it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to loop the song mode? So once the song reaches the end of the song chain, it automatically loops back to the beginning and plays the chain again?

This was also a question of mine. Didn‘t get it. Maybe song mode and looping exclude each other...

I just sent him a video about that.will keep you updated

• @auxmux said:
    Got it. Some additional limitations I’m seeing : 1) no probability per step 2) no polyrhythms - tracks can’t vary per track / sound 3) midi out is limited to notes, not seeing a way to adding midi CCs to sequencer. These factors might keep me using Octachron.

Some positives: 1) pattern length can differ per pattern. 2) importing samples in standalone mode works well, but prefer importing in AU. 3) overall well designed and easy to navigate like other 4pockets apps.

How are you getting midi out to work? I'm trying to do that in NS2 using Midi Route, but it simply doesn't work, for some reason.

• @studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@auxmux said:

Yup, so far I haven’t been able to import samples into the AUv3.

Edit: samples imported into the standalone show up in the AUv3, so that’s good. No direct import via Files app, AudioShare etc. unless I’m being an idiot, which I usually am.

Le sigh. 🤪

That is a limitation of Chameleon which one of the reasons I don't use and also lack of pitch detection for samples. Might still get this.

In 20 years we will tell incredulous youngins about these times, the way we hear about mythical objects called Mirage, 0.5 seconds of sample time and shoe boxes full of floppies.

Of course they will smile indulgently and blame it on the Alzheimer.

This much is true. It is magical nonetheless what we can do today.

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Edit: samples imported into the standalone show up in the AUv3, so that’s good. No direct import via Files app, AudioShare etc. unless I’m being an idiot, which I usually am.

Le sigh. 🤪

That is a limitation of Chameleon which one of the reasons I don't use and also lack of pitch detection for samples. Might still get this.

In 20 years we will tell incredulous youngins about these times, the way we hear about mythical objects called Mirage, 0.5 seconds of sample time and shoe boxes full of floppies.

Then we tell them the glorious rise of the Commadore Amiga A500... At that point we would be on medication, & have a nice warm straight jacket, with a nice sound proof padded cell, with an en suite toilet & shower, over looking the beautiful scenery of Broadmoor.. 😂😂😂

It's all pine trees and electricity pylons.....And when there were escapee's, they'd more than likely follow the pylons, straight towards my old school !

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

Then we tell them the glorious rise of the Commadore Amiga A500... At that point we would be on medication, & have a nice warm straight jacket, with a nice sound proof padded cell, with an en suite toilet & shower, over looking the beautiful scenery of Broadmoor.. 😂😂😂

You misspelled Atari.

😂😂😂

• @AndyPlankton said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

It's all pine trees and electricity pylons.....And when there were escapee's, they'd more than likely follow the pylons, straight towards my old school !

I used to work with someone who lived next to Broadmoor, you could see the wall from their house. Very creepy...

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

I used to work with someone who lived next to Broadmoor, you could see the wall from their house. Very creepy...

Yeah, it's surprising exactly how close some of those houses are considering whats inside.....
    I used to live a few miles up the road...could hear the escape siren tested every Monday morning at 10:00 am. Also knew a few people who worked there as nurses.

• Just recorded midi from cubasis but I can’t get it recording midi in NS2, despite using midi route. Anyone had any joy with this in NS2? DigiStix is a wonderful app and I want to use it often, I.e. in every track I create, it’s that good. Anyone know the devs email address? I’d love it to be working A1 in NS2.

• Sorry if I missed it.

1) Is loading samples easy as far as:

a) the app recognizing samples within folders?

b) copying/pasting folders or multiple samples with the Files app

And

2) Is the sample browser neat and tidy, or configurable with folders at all?

Thanks.

• Grab your popcorn heard Doug is doing a live stream tonight showing this beauty off to the world.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Sorry if I missed it.

And

Thanks.

Yes to all. Managed easily in files app and all folders, sub-folders visible in Import from Documents in DigiStix standalone, not AU.

• in song mode is there a way to set it up so that it loops back to the first pattern on the song timeline? if not, that would be a handy feature

• @Trueyorky said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Sorry if I missed it.

And

Thanks.

Yes to all. Managed easily in files app and all folders, sub-folders visible in Import from Documents in DigiStix standalone, not AU.

could anyone shed some light on the supposed ‘timestretching’ on this one... I’m presuming it’s either a rough bpm non-realtime effect that you use in the wave editor OR a switch like on the Drum Machine sampler in the old s.s. Orion Daw where it wasn’t actually time stretching but would force the sample via pitching up or down to cover 1 bar at whatever the tempo was.. ( a VERY handy little switch that one )
    The Apps4Devices man just did another vid playing all the preset kits and showed a lot of the menu graphics but none of the hidden ‘options’ or anything to indicate a stretch facility..
    screen shot/word to the wary anyone?

• @Trueyorky said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Sorry if I missed it.

And

Thanks.

Thank ye. I forgot I preordered that other one (whoops, drinkin) and it looks to be universal too. Sorta torn on if I should cancel it. Neither one really has the sleek aesthetic that would normally sway me.

• Can samples imported via the standalone version then be used in the AU version? That's a basic a workaround that just means some initial planning and a few extra steps for me. If not, then is there an enhancement planned to allow imported samples to be used (one way or the other) in the AU version? It would seem kinda silly (to me) if they couldn't.