Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DigiStix by 4Pockets - LIVE!!!!

Comments

• @anickt said:

@gregsmith said:

@anickt said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Yup, so far I haven’t been able to import samples into the AUv3.

Edit: samples imported into the standalone show up in the AUv3, so that’s good. No direct import via Files app, AudioShare etc. unless I’m being an idiot, which I usually am.

Le sigh. 🤪

That is a limitation of Chameleon which one of the reasons I don't use and also lack of pitch detection for samples. Might still get this.

In 20 years we will tell incredulous youngins about these times, the way we hear about mythical objects called Mirage, 0.5 seconds of sample time and shoe boxes full of floppies.

Of course they will smile indulgently and blame it on the Alzheimer.

This much is true. It is magical nonetheless what we can do today.

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Edit: samples imported into the standalone show up in the AUv3, so that’s good. No direct import via Files app, AudioShare etc. unless I’m being an idiot, which I usually am.

Le sigh. 🤪

That is a limitation of Chameleon which one of the reasons I don't use and also lack of pitch detection for samples. Might still get this.

In 20 years we will tell incredulous youngins about these times, the way we hear about mythical objects called Mirage, 0.5 seconds of sample time and shoe boxes full of floppies.

Then we tell them the glorious rise of the Commadore Amiga A500... At that point we would be on medication, & have a nice warm straight jacket, with a nice sound proof padded cell, with an en suite toilet & shower, over looking the beautiful scenery of Broadmoor.. 😂😂😂

You misspelled Atari.

My first sequencer was Mastertracks Pro on a Commodore 64. You had to load the program in modules ie: load the Record module to record MIDI from an external keyboard, unload that module and load the Edit module to edit the recorded MIDI etc.

I also had a Mirage. It was awesome!

I also got DigiStix. The included kits are very good and there’s a decent amount of them. I’m using it in NS2 with no major issues. Creating kits and sampling is best done in the standalone mode it seems. I’m OK with that. Timestretch seems to work OK but I haven’t done much with it yet.

Can you export and transfer patches between devices do you know?

I created a kit on my phone, exported to iCloud and restored it to my iPad. No problem.

Did the samples come too? I’ve got the app myself now so I can try it when I’ve got a spare minute.

• edited September 2019

Automating pitch in NS2 works. All parameters exposed. I think it will be easier when implemented within the app hopefully like the ability to paint dynamics. I had a couple of crashes changing kits at first but nothing I can replicate.

• edited September 2019

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

Then we tell them the glorious rise of the Commadore Amiga A500... At that point we would be on medication, & have a nice warm straight jacket, with a nice sound proof padded cell, with an en suite toilet & shower, over looking the beautiful scenery of Broadmoor.. 😂😂😂

You misspelled Atari.

My first sequencer was Mastertracks Pro on a Commodore 64. You had to load the program in modules ie: load the Record module to record MIDI from an external keyboard, unload that module and load the Edit module to edit the recorded MIDI etc.

I also had a Mirage. It was awesome!

I also got DigiStix. The included kits are very good and there’s a decent amount of them. I’m using it in NS2 with no major issues. Creating kits and sampling is best done in the standalone mode it seems. I’m OK with that. Timestretch seems to work OK but I haven’t done much with it yet.

NS2 already has a very good sampling kit (Slate). What's the advantage of Digistix? I'd been eagerly anticipating this app, but since finding out it's not possible to import samples in AU mode, I fear it'll be a bit of a vibe killer. NS2 can do this with ease, so, in your opinion, what would be the point in buying this?

Digi reminds me a lot of my favorite drum machine, the Yamaha RX5. There’s the ability to reverse single steps, paint in dynamics, fade rolls in and out at different note values, etc. Nothing you can’t do in Slate but more direct. There’s also timestretching which we don’t have in NS2 yet. I’m just scratching the surface with Digi but I like what I’ve found so far. I’ll use both because each has their things that they do. There’s an update coming soon that will add more. Keep in mind, I like simple tools that don’t get in my way. My favorite DAW hands-down is NS2 followed closely by Caustic. All the others are tedious for me. IMHO of course! B)

HERESY!

I was just mucking about with iMPC Pro2 and after a bit all but said out loud ‘but why aren’t you doing this in BM3, so many more options!’ and this little defiant voice answered because I just wrote an actual song that’s why... :)

B) I’m less about the gear and more about getting things done. Not too many years left here! :D

In case I was being too elliptical, I am on board the same bus 1000 per cent (and for the same mortal reasons :) )

Me Too, 1000%..

• @anickt said:
    Since it’s universal I can sit outside with my phone and make drum kits of the birds chirping etc. Maybe my crazy neighbor will come out and shoot his gun and drop a few F-bombs! :D

Wow, didn’t realize it was universal.. popped up on my iPhone.. nice..

• This one is actually quite nice and pretty easy to get the grips on :)
    But for an advanced geek like me I still feel the more goodies will come...

• @Paa89 said:

What ios are you on? No issues on ipad pro 11 IPadOS beta

12.4 plus I’m on an Air 1 so that could be a lot of it

• @Paa89 said:

@JackDwyerburger said:

@JudgeDredd said:
    Maybe a bug found. In Cubasis2 when trying to change the sound of a pad, as soon as I tap “Replace” DigiStix crashes hard and you have to kill Cubasis to recover. Mind you, this is while it’s playing.

Just tried in AUM and crashed as well

Yeah I’m getting crashes with the same situation

What ios are you on? No issues on ipad pro 11 IPadOS beta

12.9 Pro with 12.4.1

• I just purchased and have been messing around with it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to loop the song mode? So once the song reaches the end of the song chain, it automatically loops back to the beginning and plays the chain again?

• Well, I took the plunge and this is truly brilliant. I’m so pleased I bought it. It’s already crashed once but I know the developer is top notch so this will be fixed. It’s so easy to almost instantaneously get a funky beat going. Love it already. I’ve not imported samples yet - I hope this is easy enough to do, but for playing with it’s incredible. I never expected this at all - lovely jubbly 😃

• It’s crashing quite a lot at the moment but I don’t care - this is a wonderful drum app, and I’m sure this will take some beating. EG Pulse is on order - happy days.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Haaze 2 for AU natural positioning presets left right is handy for multiple AU,s!

Can you explain a little more? Thanks!

• Is there a way of getting the midi into NS2?

• @audio_DT said:
    Is there a way of getting the midi into NS2, and for that midi to trigger DigiStix in all the right places?

• @audio_DT said:
    Is there a way of getting the midi into NS2?

Does NS2 support MIDI out from AUv3?

• @realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

But you can use 3rd party plugins to work around it.

• The swipe up or swipe down on the pads kind of annoys me. I tend to get the windows popping up when I’m jamming on the pads. I guess I’m just too wild with my glass tapping haha

• @klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

Bummer. I know I can use midi tools (or whatever it’s called - I have it) but will that trigger the samples in digistix?

• @audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

Bummer. I know I can use midi tools (or whatever it’s called - I have it) but will that trigger the samples in digistix? Ignore this - I was answering a different question and can’t work out how to now delete it!

• @audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

Bummer. I know I can use midi tools (or whatever it’s called - I have it) but will that trigger the samples in digistix?

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

I’m confused. If you’re using Digistix in NS2, you don’t need the midi to go out of it to trigger it. It should all happen inside the app. Doesn’t the sequencer just play the sounds right in the app?

• @wim said:
    I’m confused. If you’re using Digistix in NS2, you don’t need the midi to go out of it to trigger it. It should all happen inside the app. Doesn’t the sequencer just play the sounds right in the app?

Yeah but sometimes it’s easier to arrange things in the timeline and get the host yo play it.

Recording the midi out lets you have best of both worlds, use the XoX sequencer inside the app and then render it all out to the host sequencer for further arranging and tweaking.

• @audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

Bummer. I know I can use midi tools (or whatever it’s called - I have it) but will that trigger the samples in digistix? Ignore this - I was answering a different question and can’t work out how to now delete it!

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@wim said:

Yes, but what I wondered is if you can, in NS2 (my new tool of choice), record the midi from DigiStix into NS2, and then that midi triggers the samples in digistix. It would be possible, in other words, to also draw notes in NS2, which triggers the notes in DigiStix. Make sense? Maybe you can do this - I’ve just not worked out how to do that yet.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    The swipe up or swipe down on the pads kind of annoys me. I tend to get the windows popping up when I’m jamming on the pads. I guess I’m just too wild with my glass tapping haha

Developer says we’ll be able to switch that off in the next update

• @audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@wim said:

Yes, but what I wondered is if you can, in NS2 (my new tool of choice), record the midi from DigiStix into NS2, and then that midi triggers the samples in digistix. It would be possible, in other words, to also draw notes in NS2, which triggers the notes in DigiStix. Make sense? Maybe you can do this - I’ve just not worked out how to do that yet.

Yes I do exactly that in GarageBand. Build the sequence in Digistix then “print” the MIDI back out to GarageBand for further arranging.

• @audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@wim said:

If digistix accepts midi from hosts, there should be no problem doing this.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@wim said:

To capture the midi from most midi AU plugins in NS2 you place the Midi Route plugin from BlueVeek Midi Tools as the last AU midi FX, then set the output to NS2. Finally, you make a new track to receive the midi from the NS2 virtual port.

I don’t have digistix, so I can’t say if that’s all there is to it, but that’s how to do it with other apps.

NS2 doesn’t record the midi from AU midi apps any other way at this time.

• @realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@wim said:

Yes I do exactly that in GarageBand. Build the sequence in Digistix then “print” the MIDI back out to GarageBand for further arranging.

Not sure what you mean. In NS2 I’ve tried pressing the record button (in NS2), thinking - hoping - that it would then record the pattern from DigiStix into NS2. That doesn’t work, though - nothing happens, even though DigiStix is hosted by NS2 as an auv3. What do you mean by ‘print’, in this context. Thanks - sorry if I’m being a bit fick 😇

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@audio_DT said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@wim said:

Not sure what you mean. In NS2 I’ve tried pressing the record button (in NS2), thinking - hoping - that it would then record the pattern from DigiStix into NS2. That doesn’t work, though - nothing happens, even though DigiStix is hosted by NS2 as an auv3. What do you mean by ‘print’, in this context. Thanks - sorry if I’m being a bit fick 😇

Did my previous post make any sense to you? I know, it’s confusing.

NS2 can’t do anything internally with the midi out from AU midi plugins. So you have to do a hack to make it work. The midi route plugin is that hack. Basically, it intercepts that midi and sends it out and back in to NS2. In this way, you can receive that inbound midi on another track.

Here’s what “should” work...

• Create an AU instrument track and load digistix on it.
    • add the midi route plugin on this track as an AU midi FX
    • add another AU instrument track. This one will be able to record the midi. You can then either route this midi to the first track if you know how to do that, or just load another digistix instance to play that that midi.

Sorry, I’m not sure how to explain it better than that, and I don’t have digistix to actually test. But this is how other similar apps can be made to work.

• @audio_DT said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@wim said:

I don’t own NS2, but what I think it means is that NS2 can’t yet receive MIDI outputted from an AUv3. The various hosts still have a ways to go in terms of fully supporting AUv3.

• @wim said:

@audio_DT said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

@klownshed said:

@realdawei said:

@audio_DT said:

No. Not natively.

@wim said:

Did my previous post make any sense to you? I know, it’s confusing.

NS2 can’t do anything internally with the midi out from AU midi plugins. So you have to do a hack to make it work. The midi route plugin is that hack. Basically, it intercepts that midi and sends it out and back in to NS2. In this way, you can receive that inbound midi on another track.

Here’s what “should” work...

• Create an AU instrument track and load digistix on it.
    • add the midi route plugin on this track as an AU midi FX
    • add another AU instrument track. This one will be able to record the midi. You can then either route this midi to the first track if you know how to do that, or just load another digistix instance to play that that midi.

Sorry, I’m not sure how to explain it better than that, and I don’t have digistix to actually test. But this is how other similar apps can be made to work.

Thanks, Wim. I get you now. I know the midi route hack, yes, so will try it in the morning - I’m off to bed shortly. I wonder if that midi will trigger the samples in DigiStix? It should do, theoretically, but will let you know tomorrow. Cheers.