Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DigiStix by 4Pockets - LIVE!!!!

Comments

• @anickt said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Yup, so far I haven’t been able to import samples into the AUv3.

Edit: samples imported into the standalone show up in the AUv3, so that’s good. No direct import via Files app, AudioShare etc. unless I’m being an idiot, which I usually am.

Le sigh. 🤪

That is a limitation of Chameleon which one of the reasons I don't use and also lack of pitch detection for samples. Might still get this.

In 20 years we will tell incredulous youngins about these times, the way we hear about mythical objects called Mirage, 0.5 seconds of sample time and shoe boxes full of floppies.

Of course they will smile indulgently and blame it on the Alzheimer.

This much is true. It is magical nonetheless what we can do today.

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Edit: samples imported into the standalone show up in the AUv3, so that’s good. No direct import via Files app, AudioShare etc. unless I’m being an idiot, which I usually am.

Le sigh. 🤪

That is a limitation of Chameleon which one of the reasons I don't use and also lack of pitch detection for samples. Might still get this.

In 20 years we will tell incredulous youngins about these times, the way we hear about mythical objects called Mirage, 0.5 seconds of sample time and shoe boxes full of floppies.

Then we tell them the glorious rise of the Commadore Amiga A500... At that point we would be on medication, & have a nice warm straight jacket, with a nice sound proof padded cell, with an en suite toilet & shower, over looking the beautiful scenery of Broadmoor.. 😂😂😂

You misspelled Atari.

My first sequencer was Mastertracks Pro on a Commodore 64. You had to load the program in modules ie: load the Record module to record MIDI from an external keyboard, unload that module and load the Edit module to edit the recorded MIDI etc.

I also had a Mirage. It was awesome!

I also got DigiStix. The included kits are very good and there’s a decent amount of them. I’m using it in NS2 with no major issues. Creating kits and sampling is best done in the standalone mode it seems. I’m OK with that. Timestretch seems to work OK but I haven’t done much with it yet.

NS2 already has a very good sampling kit (Slate). What's the advantage of Digistix? I'd been eagerly anticipating this app, but since finding out it's not possible to import samples in AU mode, I fear it'll be a bit of a vibe killer. NS2 can do this with ease, so, in your opinion, what would be the point in buying this?

• To answer my own question, the presets are great! Some great samples, and nicely mixed with the available effect sends etc. The ability to build your own kits non destructively with references to these samples is pretty genius.

• @audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

Then we tell them the glorious rise of the Commadore Amiga A500... At that point we would be on medication, & have a nice warm straight jacket, with a nice sound proof padded cell, with an en suite toilet & shower, over looking the beautiful scenery of Broadmoor.. 😂😂😂

You misspelled Atari.

My first sequencer was Mastertracks Pro on a Commodore 64. You had to load the program in modules ie: load the Record module to record MIDI from an external keyboard, unload that module and load the Edit module to edit the recorded MIDI etc.

I also got DigiStix. The included kits are very good and there’s a decent amount of them. I’m using it in NS2 with no major issues. Creating kits and sampling is best done in the standalone mode it seems. I’m OK with that. Timestretch seems to work OK but I haven’t done much with it yet.

NS2 already has a very good sampling kit (Slate). What's the advantage of Digistix? I'd been eagerly anticipating this app, but since finding out it's not possible to import samples in AU mode, I fear it'll be a bit of a vibe killer. NS2 can do this with ease, so, in your opinion, what would be the point in buying this?

Or am I getting this wrong and you can, in the first instance, just import entire sample sets into Digistix, and then use them in whatever way you like in Digistix?

• @audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

You misspelled Atari.

Digi reminds me a lot of my favorite drum machine, the Yamaha RX5. There’s the ability to reverse single steps, paint in dynamics, fade rolls in and out at different note values, etc. Nothing you can’t do in Slate but more direct. There’s also timestretching which we don’t have in NS2 yet. I’m just scratching the surface with Digi but I like what I’ve found so far. I’ll use both because each has their things that they do. There’s an update coming soon that will add more. Keep in mind, I like simple tools that don’t get in my way. My favorite DAW hands-down is NS2 followed closely by Caustic. All the others are tedious for me. IMHO of course! B)

• @anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

You misspelled Atari.

Digi reminds me a lot of my favorite drum machine, the Yamaha RX5. There’s the ability to reverse single steps, paint in dynamics, fade rolls in and out at different note values, etc. Nothing you can’t do in Slate but more direct. There’s also timestretching which we don’t have in NS2 yet. I’m just scratching the surface with Digi but I like what I’ve found so far. I’ll use both because each has their things that they do. There’s an update coming soon that will add more. Keep in mind, I like simple tools that don’t get in my way. My favorite DAW hands-down is NS2 followed closely by Caustic. All the others are tedious for me. IMHO of course! B)

HERESY!

I was just mucking about with iMPC Pro2 and after a bit all but said out loud ‘but why aren’t you doing this in BM3, so many more options!’ and this little defiant voice answered because I just wrote an actual song that’s why... :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

You misspelled Atari.

HERESY!

I was just mucking about with iMPC Pro2 and after a bit all but said out loud ‘but why aren’t you doing this in BM3, so many more options!’ and this little defiant voice answered because I just wrote an actual song that’s why... :)

B) I’m less about the gear and more about getting things done. Not too many years left here! :D

• Is there a probability setting somewhere hidden? Could not find...

• @gregsmith said:
    To answer my own question, the presets are great! Some great samples, and nicely mixed with the available effect sends etc. The ability to build your own kits non destructively with references to these samples is pretty genius.

Yup. “World class” comes to mind.

• @anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

You misspelled Atari.

Thanks, all. I expect I'll give it a whirl :-)

• Can you automate or change the pitch of the samples at different steps?

• @MrBlaschke said:
    Is there a probability setting somewhere hidden? Could not find...

No but he’s not done with this yet.

• @Carnbot said:
    Can you automate or change the pitch of the samples at different steps?

No but somebody mentioned in a previous post something about pitch in the next update per the dev. I’d like to be able to paint in pitches like you can paint in velocity now.

• @anickt said:

@Carnbot said:

No but somebody mentioned in a previous post something about pitch in the next update per the dev. I’d like to be able to paint in pitches like you can paint in velocity now.

Automating pitch is very important to me - I was surprised that it wasn’t included, but I ‘m keeping my fingers crossed for future updates. From my brief time using it in AUM, it looks like most of the parameters are exposed, so modulating the filter and such is fairly easy with Rozeta LFO or MidiLFOs.

• @anickt said:

@Carnbot said:

Yes, this would be very useful.

• edited September 2019

You can change the pitch of different pads.

Screenshot from the built in help.

• @anickt said:

@Carnbot said:

Yeah me too, this is is essential for me I think, without it I prefer using Audiolayer with a sequencer

• @anickt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

You misspelled Atari.

HERESY!

B) I’m less about the gear and more about getting things done. Not too many years left here! :D

In case I was being too elliptical, I am on board the same bus 1000 per cent (and for the same mortal reasons :) )

• @audio_DT said:

One reason would be that you can use your kits in any host. If you never intend to use anything other than one host then this might be moot.

Personally I like to jump in to say AUM to work out variations, grooves etc and it’s a pain when you can’t take your sounds with you.

• @Samu said:

A chromatic option per pad could also be pretty neat?!
    (Ie. one midi-channel per pad).

Yes please

• @JudgeDredd said:
    Maybe a bug found. In Cubasis2 when trying to change the sound of a pad, as soon as I tap “Replace” DigiStix crashes hard and you have to kill Cubasis to recover. Mind you, this is while it’s playing.

Just tried in AUM and crashed as well

Yeah I’m getting crashes with the same situation

• I might get this. I have one concern, is the parameter for pitch per pad exposed in auv3?
    Id like to be able to control volume, pitch, decay and pan from an external controller.

• edited September 2019

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

You misspelled Atari.

HERESY!

In case I was being too elliptical, I am on board the same bus 1000 per cent (and for the same mortal reasons :) )

Funny how perspective changes...ain’t it?

• @Richtowns said:
    I might get this. I have one concern, is the parameter for pitch per pad exposed in auv3?
    Id like to be able to control volume, pitch, decay and pan from an external controller.

Yeah it looks like all parameters are open

• Since it’s universal I can sit outside with my phone and make drum kits of the birds chirping etc. Maybe my crazy neighbor will come out and shoot his gun and drop a few F-bombs! :D

• @gregsmith said:

@anickt said:

@studs1966 said:

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

@auxmux said:

@auxmux said:

Le sigh. 🤪

You misspelled Atari.

Can you export and transfer patches between devices do you know?

I created a kit on my phone, exported to iCloud and restored it to my iPad. No problem.

• @JackDwyerburger said:

@Richtowns said:
    I might get this. I have one concern, is the parameter for pitch per pad exposed in auv3?

Yeah it looks like all parameters are open

oh that's good, if pitch is controllable via AU parameters, that's another thing I'm looking for :)

• Check out 4 Pockets response on these reviews... A few updates are are the way and soon apparently.

• @JackDwyerburger said:

@JudgeDredd said:
    Maybe a bug found. In Cubasis2 when trying to change the sound of a pad, as soon as I tap “Replace” DigiStix crashes hard and you have to kill Cubasis to recover. Mind you, this is while it’s playing.

Just tried in AUM and crashed as well

Yeah I’m getting crashes with the same situation

What ios are you on? No issues on ipad pro 11 IPadOS beta

• Have a few questions and have had a few crashes loading alternate kits but an interesting addition and am happy to wait and see what updates and fixes the next week or two brings...