Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DigiStix by 4Pockets - LIVE!!!!

Comments

• @Janosax said:
    Yes probability is a must have from today’s iOS music making standards IMO.

Probably so.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Janosax said:

Probably so.

or probably not

• edited September 2019

Will mic recording or recording from
    say an AUM bus be possible in AUV3 mode?

• That video is great. Every time I think I wonder if it can... and the video demonstrates that not only can it, but it has a really nice interface for doing so. This looks great.

Probably would be nice I guess, but definitely not a show stopper for my purposes.

• Actually the only thing I wish developers would do is build drum synths that can do swing on 8th notes...

• @Maarten said:

Most likely it's just like Chameleon when it's loaded into an effects slot, meaning it's possible to record what ever passes thru it.

• @Samu said:

@Maarten said:

Most likely it's just like Chameleon when it's loaded into an effects slot, meaning it's possible to record what ever passes thru it.

That would be awesome. I”m looking forward to loading several instances of the app, each with a specific goal: drum tracks, guitar riffs, sound effects.

• edited September 2019

@AndyPlankton said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Janosax said:

Probably so.

or probably not

I'm thinking it's 50/50. Or not.

Edit: I see the 1/8 swing knob now.

• edited September 2019

@AndyPlankton said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Janosax said:

Probably so.

or probably not

@stormbeats said:
    slice to pads

@cian said:
    Actually the only thing I wish developers would do is build drum synths that can do swing on 8th notes...

Dude thought he was ready to release, but he forgot about the multi-headed ABF behemoth.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Janosax said:

Probably so.

or probably not

Oh Jesus you're right. Attention to detail right there. Seriously impressed.

Okay, things I would like (but certainly not going to stop me buying this the moment it's launched):

• Export recordings as stems.
    • Multiple audio outs for each drum.

If it does both of these things at launch I'll probably have to lie down.

• @cian said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Janosax said:

Probably so.

or probably not

Okay, things I would like (but certainly not going to stop me buying this the moment it's launched):

:D

• 1+ probability

Happy to see different time signatures (pr pattern!). I have preordered GE drum app but I may well also jump on this.

Now, maybe this has been already covered but is it possible to chop one sample and divide it into the different pads? (now I'm going to check out the VADrumSM app - see if it can match DM2 in terms of sound design)

• @cian said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Janosax said:

Probably so.

or probably not

Isn't multi-out an iOS limitation? Can any AUs even do that?

• @auxmux said:

AUv3's can do multi in/out if the host supports it...
    To my knowledge there are currently no hosts on iOS that support multi In/output AUv3's.

• Oh I thought AUM did.

• @Samu said:

@auxmux said:

AUv3's can do multi in/out if the host supports it...
    To my knowledge there are currently no hosts on iOS that support multi In/output AUv3's.

This would be amazing. Thanks for clarifying.

• edited September 2019

Melodic feature is stunning..
    Seems like a game changer here..
    1 instance for drums, maybe 2 or 3
    1 instance for loops, maybe 2 or 3..
    1 instance for melody ...
    I think they call it modular... and the world of other fine instruments to add to one’s projects..

Seems like the future of music creation is here and it’s on the iPad..

Nice.. and it’s just Version 1.

• @hisdudeness said:
    BTW how do you guys reach out for support to 4pockets?

Try [email protected]

• how long of a sample can you import ?also does it have different trigger modes for the pads? one-shot, hold, gate, etc. ?

• @cian said:
    Oh I thought AUM did.

Multi Out IAA's yes. Multi Out AUv3's no...

I think it's the 'host situation' that is keeping some of the more advanced plug-ins away from iOS.
    Why create a multi-output AUv3 plug-in if there are now hosts to use them with?

• @gdog said:
    I love 4Pockets, but doesn’t anyone else find their knobs really awkward? For me, they seem to jump around a lot, ie they don’t turn smoothly..

They turn really smoothly the first time you go a full revolution but when you come back they seem to snap to the previous value a little aggressively.

So if you’re say sweeping a filter it keeps wanting to jump to its previous value after You sweep up and then past that value.

• @Samu said:

@cian said:
    Oh I thought AUM did.

Multi Out IAA's yes. Multi Out AUv3's no...

I think it's the 'host situation' that is keeping some of the more advanced plug-ins away from iOS.
    Why create a multi-output AUv3 plug-in if there are now hosts to use them with?

To be fair, this is a fairly new request. In the past year we've got the most necessary AUs covered, now devs can build on top of that. There are probably less than 10 AUs in the store altogether that requires multiout (side chain, multi timbral instruments etc).
    I'm an AUM fanboi, so my guess is AUM will be the first and the update will be out in 0.5-1 year :smiley:

• @UnoWoo said:

@hisdudeness said:

Try [email protected]

This, and he responds super quickly. Top bloke!

• @gregsmith said:

@UnoWoo said:

@hisdudeness said:

Try [email protected]

This, and he responds super quickly. Top bloke!

Thanks I should have asked you guys earlier ..got a message to contact on App Store review .. but there was no email to be found

• edited September 2019

@AndyPlankton said:

@kobamoto said:
    does it work in stand alone as well ?

hahaha How the tides have turned...no longer are we asking is it AUv3 ? :D

so true..., these are dark days lol
    if it's a drum machine and it doesn't come in stand alone version, I'll save a few bucks.

• Looks really cool - can it do poly meters, or is everything locked into 16, 32,48, and 64?

• edited September 2019

Since there's some discussion about the capabilities of AU-v3's here.

Is it possible to build a standalone "drum machine"-"loop playing" type App that can host AU-v3 instruments. Where you can record the sound of an AU-v3 instrument directly into a selected (trigger) Pad as either a one-shot-type sound, but also record one or more measures into Pads as a loops. Then save them to that App's own Library.

The idea is to be able to quickly build up a library of your own sounds and loops using AU-v3 instruments, and then have the capability to drag from your library of sounds and loops into the song composing section. And be able to create songs using Pads to enter sounds into a standard type of step sequencer grid. And also have a part in the song composing section that allows you to arrange your loops so they will play in tandem with the sounds on the sequencer grid.

The whole idea is to have an app with similar capabilities to the 4Pockets one, but it will be able to host AU-v3 instruments for very fast creation of sounds and loops, that once recorded, can be stored within the App's own internal library.

OK.... now here's my main question regarding the capabilities of AU-v3's.....

Is it possible for an App like I just described.. One that can host AU-v3's in a standalone mode... To also have a "Player/Composer/ No AU-v3 support".."AU-v3 version of itself", that can be loaded into a host like Cubasis, and have access to the same library of sounds and loops as the standalone version of the App?

To put the question more simplistically....

Can an App the can host AU-v3's, also have a version of itself that does not support AU-v3's, that can be loaded as an AU-v3?
    But the standalone and the AU-v3 plugin version of that same App, can both share the same library of sounds and loops?

• @horsetrainer said:
    Since there's some discussion about the capabilities of AU-v3's here.

Is it possible to build a standalone "drum machine"-"loop playing" type App that can host AU-v3 instruments. Where you can record the sound of an AU-v3 instrument directly into a selected (trigger) Pad as either a one-shot-type sound, but also record one or more measures into Pads as a loops.

gotta be possible cause I know Ben has mentioned turning patterning into a au host in the future possibly ....

• @kobamoto said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@kobamoto said:

if it's a drum machine and it doesn't come in stand alone version, I'll save a few bucks.

Yeah, I feel the same for any drum/groove machine...If it is AUv3 then it should have a standalone host included. This should be a little easier for devs nowadays, they don't have to include IAA in it anymore.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@kobamoto said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@kobamoto said:

Yeah, I feel the same for any drum/groove machine...If it is AUv3 then it should have a standalone host included. This should be a little easier for devs nowadays, they don't have to include IAA in it anymore.

The video shows both standalone and Auv3