Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DigiStix by 4Pockets - LIVE!!!!

1131415161719»

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Jocphone said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    ... The benefits outweigh the drawbacks overall, so I'm here to stay. But that doesn't stop me from complaining about it.

Must. not. hit. marriage. softball.....

• How do I record a digistix pattern in xequence2? Ist it possible to record digistix Control data such as resonance or cutoff in x2? If yes please short explanation

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

@robklotzby said:
    How do I record a digistix pattern in xequence2? Ist it possible to record digistix Control data such as resonance or cutoff in x2? If yes please short explanation

what are you hosting Digistix in? Or are you using standalone?

X2 can definitely record all of Digistix's midi output. You just need to point it at X2 properly. However, without understanding your setup I can't be more specific than that.

• edited June 2020

@wim said:

@robklotzby said:
    How do I record a digistix pattern in xequence2? Ist it possible to record digistix Control data such as resonance or cutoff in x2? If yes please short explanation

X2 can definitely record all of Digistix's midi output. You just need to point it at X2 properly. However, without understanding your setup I can't be more specific than that.

Well I opened digistix as standalone in x2 without aum, turned on host sync and started recording. The pattern was activated but not recorded.

Since digistix displays no Midi cc, I simply don’t know how to record the control data.

• @robklotzby said:

@wim said:

@robklotzby said:

Well I opened digistix as standalone in x2 without aum, turned on host sync and started recording. The pattern was activated but not recorded.

Since digistix displays no Midi cc, I simply don’t know how to record the control data.

The standalone DigiStix doesn't output MIDI so you're going to have to use it in a host like Audiobus or AUM. Let me know what host you prefer and I'll lay out the steps if you need me to.

• edited June 2020

@wim said:

@robklotzby said:

@wim said:

@robklotzby said:

The standalone DigiStix doesn't output MIDI so you're going to have to use it in a host like Audiobus or AUM. Let me know what host you prefer and I'll lay out the steps if you need me to.

Wow, thanks! I prefer AUM, but from time to time I use Audiobus as well.

• No problem. Here's one way to do it with AUM:

• Add DigiStix (AU) into an audio channel in AUM and set up a pattern
    • Turn on Host Sync so that DigiStix will start when AUM starts.
    • Under AUM metronome settings > ... > Ableton Link, make sure Link and Sync Start/Stop are enabled. Set the tempo while you're at it.
    • Load X2 into an audio channel in AUM. You don't have to load it in AUM, but you do need to have it running, so this is a convenience.
    • In X2 Settings > MIDI / Recording make sure Virtual source is enabled, MIDI In is enabled, and Xequence Destination is enabled under MIDI In Sources
    • Also make sure Link and Link Start/Stop are enabled in X2
    • Back in AUM, bring up the routing matrix and connect DigiStix output to Xequence Destination
    • Open a new project in X2. It should have one track already created and selected. (If you're working with an existing project, then just add a track and make sure its highlighted.
    • Press Record. AUM/DigiStix will start, and the midi output will be recorded. Press Stop when done.

Setup in Audiobus is similar. Just put DigiStix in an input on the MIDI Page, with X2 in the output.

• Next you'll want to be able to play back the recorded midi to DigiStix. So, you will need to make some changes:

• In X2 go to the settings for that instrument and set the output to AUM. Note the channel.
    • In AUM go to the midi routing. Remove the DigiStix > Xequence Destination routing. Add AUM Destination > DigiStix.
    • It's a good idea to tap the DigiStix midi sources, select None under channel filter, then enable only the channel you noted in the first step. This is optional though.
    • Turn off Host Sync in DigiStix since you don't want it to be playing back, but rather to only receive input from X2.

• Press play in either AUM or X2 and you should hear DigiStix playing back what X2 is sending.

• edited June 2020

@wim said:
    Next you'll want to be able to play back the recorded midi to DigiStix. So, you will need to make some changes:

• In X2 go to the settings for that instrument and set the output to AUM. Note the channel.
    • In AUM go to the midi routing. Remove the DigiStix > Xequence Destination routing. Add AUM Destination > DigiStix.
    • It's a good idea to tap the DigiStix midi sources, select None under channel filter, then enable only the channel you noted in the first step. This is optional though.
    • Turn off Host Sync in DigiStix since you don't want it to be playing back, but rather to only receive input from X2.

• Press play in either AUM or X2 and you should hear DigiStix playing back what X2 is sending.

This is pure gold! Many thanks Wim. I assume you can record digistix control data with this setup as well?

• @robklotzby said:

This is pure gold! Many thanks Wim. I assume you can record digistix control data with this setup as well?

You're welcome. 👍🏼

Control data is a mixed bag. X2 should capture anything that DigiStix outputs. However what DigiStix outputs varies:

• Velocity: no problem
    • Pitch: is being sent as "Poly Aftertouch" not pitch bend. I assume this is because more than one note can be playing at the same time and pitch-bend would affect all notes. X2 is not picking up the Poly Aftertouch. So, pitch won't work. This is something @SevenSystems might have to comment on.
    • Pan: DigiStix isn't outputting anything, so nothing for X2 to record.
    • Probability: That is reflected in whether the notes are output to X2 or not. There's no MIDI message for probability.
  • @wim yes correct, unfortunately Xequence currently doesn't support any kind of polyphonic controller / expression data. This might change in the future though.

Thanks for your great support on this forum as always! :)

• @wim said:

@robklotzby said:

You're welcome. 👍🏼

Control data is a mixed bag. X2 should capture anything that DigiStix outputs. However what DigiStix outputs varies:

• Pitch: is being sent as "Poly Aftertouch" not pitch bend. I assume this is because more than one note can be playing at the same time and pitch-bend would affect all notes. X2 is not picking up the Poly Aftertouch. So, pitch won't work. This is something @SevenSystems might have to comment on.
    • Probability: That is reflected in whether the notes are output to X2 or not. There's no MIDI message for probability.

Ok thanks. By the way, I’v been struggling with the lumbeat apps and x2 for a while. I tried your above approach and the midi out from future drummer was recorded nicely in x2. Now comes the problem though, when I play back using future drummer as a sound module, some of the sounds are ignored. It seems the midi mapping doesn’t correspond when you play back. Any thoughts on this?

• @robklotzby said:

@wim said:

@robklotzby said:

You're welcome. 👍🏼

Ok thanks. By the way, I’v been struggling with the lumbeat apps and x2 for a while. I tried your above approach and the midi out from future drummer was recorded nicely in x2. Now comes the problem though, when I play back using future drummer as a sound module, some of the sounds are ignored. It seems the midi mapping doesn’t correspond when you play back. Any thoughts on this?

Humm, that seems odd. I've never tried that, but I would think that the output mapping would equal the input mapping. Have you tried resetting the map to defaults?

Drum mapping is always a pain in the butt.

BTW, I always forget to turn off record quantize when getting stuff from apps that have good timing and swing. You'll get better results with quantize off in X2.

• Yes, I’ve discovered the advantages of quantize off.

• @anickt said:
    I created a kit on my phone, exported to iCloud and restored it to my iPad. No problem.

Help how to backup or export kits?
    I made some kits in iphone but now want to transfer my user kits to Ipad but dont know how to do it. Even tried to save them as songs but they dont even show up in the files app Digistix folder.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@sisterkate said:

@anickt said:
    I created a kit on my phone, exported to iCloud and restored it to my iPad. No problem.

I made some kits in iphone but now want to transfer my user kits to Ipad but dont know how to do it. Even tried to save them as songs but they dont even show up in the files app Digistix folder.

• Scroll down to the very bottom of the interface. Press the "Backup" button on the bottom-left.
    • Choose to Export the kit.
    • Browse to a location where you want to save the file. I saved it to iCloud to make it convenient to access from the other device.
    • (optional) Scratch your head in confusion trying to find an OK or Save button. Try "select", "Cancel", etc. with no result.
    • Press the "+" button. The kit will be exported.
    • Use the Restore button on the other device to import the kit.

I briefly tried AirDrop from the files app to transfer the file. It didn't seem to work, but I can't say I looked into it thoroughly.

• @wim said:

@sisterkate said:

@anickt said:

• Scroll down to the very bottom of the interface. Press the "Backup" button on the bottom-left.
    • Choose to Export the kit.
    • Browse to a location where you want to save the file. I saved it to iCloud to make it convenient to access from the other device.
    • (optional) Scratch your head in confusion trying to find an OK or Save button. Try "select", "Cancel", etc. with no result.
    • Press the "+" button. The kit will be exported.
    • Use the Restore button on the other device to import the kit.

I briefly tried AirDrop from the files app to transfer the file. It didn't seem to work, but I can't say I looked into it thoroughly.

@wim Thank you so much that worked!
    Yes you were right I was scratching my head looking for export button and confused but happy now

• 👍🏼😎

• Can anyone please help me to record sounds from another app into digistix? If I press ‘record’ the Audio Editor window appears. I then have to leave digistix and go to Fractal Bits to trigger the required sound. When I return to digistix the Audio Editor window has closed and nothing is recorded. Hopefully I’m just missing something simple... ta.

• Hi,
    I was trying to switch Digistix patterns via midi and surprisingly I can’t find the mapping to change patterns!. You can change presets, do about everything like individual reverb sends, song mode, everything... but I can’t find the one, most useful function.
    I’d like to switch patterns with Zenbeats clips (clip view). Seems like a very basic thing. I just can’t find it,!
    Thanks!

• @tahiche said:
    Hi,
    I was trying to switch Digistix patterns via midi and surprisingly I can’t find the mapping to change patterns!.

Yeh. I purchased with the expectation of being able to do this, but sadly you can't. I actually just emailed the developer yesterday to ask if he could implement this. We'll see.

There is a workaround which someone shared with me in another thread I think. You know about song mode?
    If you at least know the sequence of patterns you wish to use, you can chain them into a song, and then flip between 'song mode' being active/inactive with a midi command. It seems to work quite well. I had each pattern, in order, playing once only, and from memory I could do 2 taps of the controller for song mode ON then OFF, and it would advance. I don't think I had to wait for the new pattern to start before I switched song mode off, but I don't recall. I haven't used it this way for a month or so.

• @SimonSomeone said:

@tahiche said:
    Hi,
    I was trying to switch Digistix patterns via midi and surprisingly I can’t find the mapping to change patterns!.

Yeh. I purchased with the expectation of being able to do this, but sadly you can't. I actually just emailed the developer yesterday to ask if he could implement this. We'll see.

There is a workaround which someone shared with me in another thread I think. You know about song mode?
    If you at least know the sequence of patterns you wish to use, you can chain them into a song, and then flip between 'song mode' being active/inactive with a midi command. It seems to work quite well. I had each pattern, in order, playing once only, and from memory I could do 2 taps of the controller for song mode ON then OFF, and it would advance. I don't think I had to wait for the new pattern to start before I switched song mode off, but I don't recall. I haven't used it this way for a month or so.

Wow. Surprised and confused. To me this would the be the most important parameter. If I could only automate one it'd be patterns, no doubt. Why would you automate song mode, even preset change and not patterns?. Doesn't make sense.

• I know, it seems pretty crazy to me ...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Is there a way that Digistix can name the drumpads after the filename automatically? If not would it be possible to have an option to enable/disable it? I know that EG Pulse does it but I decided to use Digistix as my main drumsampler and it would be cool to have it.

• Version 1.29 is out:

The randomize pattern option now operated differently when only 1 or 2 pads are selected. The generated pattern are more dense, allowing you to create Hi-Hat suffles with varying velocities easier than before.

The delay, reverb, record, layer options, drum browser and randomize popups are now draggable so they don't obsure the interface.

Moved the help section into a full screen popup that is displayed only when needed. Accessible from the main menu.