Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DigiStix by 4Pockets - LIVE!!!!

Comments

• @ALB said:

@audio_DT said:
    I’ll ask again for the last time (my bad!) - has anyone managed to record the midi from DigiStix into NS2? I’ve tried Midi Route, which normally works perfectly, but it’s not working. Cubasis records the midi with no problems, so I’m wondering how best to proceed. If someone uses an app that works for this, I’ll be happy to purchase it instantly. If not, does anyone know the devs email address so I can let him know of the issue? Cheers, folks.

I have not been able to get it to work either. Don’t have the dev’s email address.
    I did record it into Photon in AUM and just exported the midi to NS2 and ran it into DigiStix on that. It’s a workaround anyway... haven’t tried using photon as a midi effect in NS2. If that does work, then you could keep it all in NS2: NS2>DigiStix>Photon(record then export to midi library in NS2)

Seems like you should be able to host digiStix in Audiobus and send the midi directly to NS2 rather than going the Photon route. But I’m just swinging the bat with me eyes shut since I don’t have the app.

• @wim said:

@ALB said:

@audio_DT said:
    I’ll ask again for the last time (my bad!) - has anyone managed to record the midi from DigiStix into NS2? I’ve tried Midi Route, which normally works perfectly, but it’s not working. Cubasis records the midi with no problems, so I’m wondering how best to proceed. If someone uses an app that works for this, I’ll be happy to purchase it instantly. If not, does anyone know the devs email address so I can let him know of the issue? Cheers, folks.

I have not been able to get it to work either. Don’t have the dev’s email address.
    I did record it into Photon in AUM and just exported the midi to NS2 and ran it into DigiStix on that. It’s a workaround anyway... haven’t tried using photon as a midi effect in NS2. If that does work, then you could keep it all in NS2: NS2>DigiStix>Photon(record then export to midi library in NS2)

Seems like you should be able to host digiStix in Audiobus and send the midi directly to NS2 rather than going the Photon route. But I’m just swinging the bat with me eyes shut since I don’t have the app.

You may be right - I’m just so used to using Photon as my go to app for liberating midi from one app environment to another that I don’t bother with AB for that...

• @gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@audio_DT said:

@Sergiu said:

@audio_DT said:

@Paa89 said:

@eross said:
    yep, i tried importing and recording in samples and keep getting crashes. i’m sure he will stop out those bugs and get it up and running smoothly in no time. > @anickt said:

@eross said:
    anybody know how to use the round robin feature in the most recent update ?

It works for me when recording samples but importing samples seems buggy. Turn on Round Robin for a pad. Record a sample. That will automatically go to layer one. Record a second sample and hit Add Sample. It will ask you what layer to put it on. Use layer two. Repeat and use three. When I try to import samples it will crash on three. I’m not going to worry about it at this time since another update should be out soon.

I bet he is working on it.
    On IPadOs it’s running great

Not really. I'm on iPadOS and it's crashing a very lot. I still love it, but let's call a spade a spade here.

I second that..it crashes when editing efx or samples.
    Any idea if midi cc's mapping will be available?

Not sure on that one, unfortunately. I’m still trying to get it working in NS2. I’ll look at other stuff after that.

This focus on a ‘fix’ to work with a third party workaround for a feature that doesn’t yet exist in a single DAW feels like a bit of a thread derail...

I’m sure someone posted the developers email address that if you are not on FB. I will see if I can find it.

This is the email address posted on the 4Pockets website: [email protected]

Thanks. I disagree on the accusation of a thread derail, though. If the app isn’t working in a host, how is that a derail? Recording to midi in cubasis works perfectly, so I’m not sure why you’re saying this. It’s a bit of an odd comment, that - but many thanks for the email, though. Cheers.

• @wim said:

@ALB said:

@audio_DT said:

Thanks. I’ve got the email of the dev now, so will raise the issue with him. It’s a really great app, and once it’s recording midi in NS2 - as it does in cubasis, but I don’t use cubasis anymore because NS2 is just so much better, in my opinion - I’ll use it daily 🙂. Definitely the best drum app I’ve got.

• @audio_DT said:

@gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@audio_DT said:

@Sergiu said:

@audio_DT said:

@Paa89 said:

@eross said:
    yep, i tried importing and recording in samples and keep getting crashes. i’m sure he will stop out those bugs and get it up and running smoothly in no time. > @anickt said:

@eross said:

It works for me when recording samples but importing samples seems buggy. Turn on Round Robin for a pad. Record a sample. That will automatically go to layer one. Record a second sample and hit Add Sample. It will ask you what layer to put it on. Use layer two. Repeat and use three. When I try to import samples it will crash on three. I’m not going to worry about it at this time since another update should be out soon.

Not really. I'm on iPadOS and it's crashing a very lot. I still love it, but let's call a spade a spade here.

Not sure on that one, unfortunately. I’m still trying to get it working in NS2. I’ll look at other stuff after that.

This focus on a ‘fix’ to work with a third party workaround for a feature that doesn’t yet exist in a single DAW feels like a bit of a thread derail...

I’m sure someone posted the developers email address that if you are not on FB. I will see if I can find it.

Thanks. I disagree on the accusation of a thread derail, though. If the app isn’t working in a host, how is that a derail? Recording to midi in cubasis works perfectly, so I’m not sure why you’re saying this. It’s a bit of an odd comment, that - but many thanks for the email, though. Cheers.

Isn’t it the host that is not working in this case though and not the app? Maybe I misunderstood.

• @gusgranite said:

@audio_DT said:

@gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@audio_DT said:

@Sergiu said:

@audio_DT said:

@Paa89 said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

Isn’t it the host that is not working in this case though and not the app? Maybe I misunderstood.

Maybe, I'm not sure. It's true that NS2 doesn't natively record midi - but it can do so using tools like Midi Route, and every other app I've ever tried does it perfectly, so my thinking is that it could well be something to do with DigiStix. I'm going to email the dev to take his view on it. I'm certainly not trying to hijack the thread or denigrate DigiStix, though - I bloody love it! I'm just trying to get it working in NS2 - I'm sure lots of other people would appreciate it working in NS2, as well.

• edited September 2019

Another awesome app with problems in NS2 (oh, surprise) that monopolice the thread.

Maybe is a good idea open the bug post in NS2 forum and not discuss here?

• @audio_DT said:

@gusgranite said:

@audio_DT said:

@gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@audio_DT said:

@Sergiu said:

@audio_DT said:

@Paa89 said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

Maybe, I'm not sure. It's true that NS2 doesn't natively record midi - but it can do so using tools like Midi Route, and every other app I've ever tried does it perfectly, so my thinking is that it could well be something to do with DigiStix. I'm going to email the dev to take his view on it. I'm certainly not trying to hijack the thread or denigrate DigiStix, though - I bloody love it! I'm just trying to get it working in NS2 - I'm sure lots of other people would appreciate it working in NS2, as well.

To be clear - DigiStix works fine in NS2. It just doesn’t output its MIDI to NS2 which, for me, is not a problem. I understand that functionality is important to others. There have been several AU apps which did not work correctly in NS2 where the issue was found to be with the app and not with NS2. I’m not saying that’s the case here but apparently it’s not always an issue with the host. Great devs on both sides here. They’ll work it out.

• Anyone used this as a loop arranger in AUM jams? How long samples can you import? Couldn't find any info on that.

• Would like to see some 3rd party kits in this.

@ipadbeatmaking any plans? it could use some trap

• I’ve loaded up both Digistix and Beathawk with the acoustic drumkit in AUM. I’ve midimapped the pads in Digistix and got the app sending midi tot Beathawk. However: the timing of the patterns made in Digistix is off. Straight 16th notes sound shuffled or as if Digistix makes its own microrhytms out of my patterns. Has anyone else run into this problem?

• edited September 2019

@Maarten said:
    I’ve loaded up both Digistix and Beathawk with the acoustic drumkit in AUM. I’ve midimapped the pads in Digistix and got the app sending midi tot Beathawk. However: the timing of the patterns made in Digistix is off. Straight 16th notes sound shuffled or as if Digistix makes its own microrhytms out of my patterns. Has anyone else run into this problem?

I think I did experience something similar a couple times. Seemed to happen when the Digistix window was closed, but rectified when open. Can you repro the issue that way?

Also make sure the swing isn’t turned on. It’s right next to host sync. Easy to enable by accident

• @realdawei said:

@Maarten said:
    I’ve loaded up both Digistix and Beathawk with the acoustic drumkit in AUM. I’ve midimapped the pads in Digistix and got the app sending midi tot Beathawk. However: the timing of the patterns made in Digistix is off. Straight 16th notes sound shuffled or as if Digistix makes its own microrhytms out of my patterns. Has anyone else run into this problem?

I think I did experience something similar a couple times. Seemed to happen when the Digistix window was closed, but rectified when open. Can you repro the issue that way?

No, unfortunately it doesn’t solve the problem for me. Also, when I play the pads in Digistix, the drumsounds in Beathawk sound loud, however when the pattern plays back, they suddenly play back at a much lower velocity.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Pardon my ignorance what is round robin ?

I had to look it up myself. Basically you load multiple samples of similar sounds, maybe different velocities, onto one pad, and when pad is played or triggered it rotates between the sounds.

Digits in has 3 layers set up,
    So you could load 3 snare sounds on one pad and when pressed once it plays sound one, when pressed again it plays sound 2, and when pressed a 3rd time plays sound 3. The idea is to add a small variation between the sounds so you don’t get “machine gun” drums when doing triplets and such. It sounds more natural.

• I mean Digistix has 3 layers set up.

• @Maarten I’ve noticed that change in volume as well

• @anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

@gusgranite said:

@audio_DT said:

@gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:

@audio_DT said:

@Sergiu said:

@audio_DT said:

@Paa89 said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

To be clear - DigiStix works fine in NS2. It just doesn’t output its MIDI to NS2 which, for me, is not a problem. I understand that functionality is important to others. There have been several AU apps which did not work correctly in NS2 where the issue was found to be with the app and not with NS2. I’m not saying that’s the case here but apparently it’s not always an issue with the host. Great devs on both sides here. They’ll work it out.

Couldn't agree more. I'm one of those who really want to be able to arrange the midi in NS2, hence me asking about it. I've got the devs email address and will email him shortly. It's such a great app and it'll be sensational (for me) when it outputs midi in NS2. I'm not accusing the dev of being slack or whatever, just trying to get it working as it does in other hosts. The update to drag 'n' drop from the Files app is really good, too, and the round robin stuff. Pretty amazing stuff for the price. Indeed, I would happily have paid double.

• edited September 2019

Anyone else getting crashes when changing to a different kit whilst a pattern is playing?
    This is in stand alone mode. Have informed the dev.

• @TimRussell said:
    Anyone else getting crashes when changing to a different kit whilst a pattern is playing?
    This is in stand alone mode. Have informed the dev.

Yup.

• @realdawei said:
    Would like to see some 3rd party kits in this.

Thanks for the shout!

I haven’t even purchased it yet because the lack of 4x4 pads just isn’t appetizing for my personal workflows. I was holding out for the @ElliottGarage one, but now that u mentioned it, I don’t want to be biased, so I think I’ll purchase this and take a look at how manageable that would be.

All that said, I’m glad we’re at this point with all these great drum machine AUv3’s on the horizon, and I’d love if I can accommodate every format of them if the demand is there.

• edited September 2019

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@realdawei said:
    Would like to see some 3rd party kits in this.

Thanks for the shout!

I haven’t even purchased it yet because the lack of 4x4 pads just isn’t appetizing for my personal workflows. I was holding out for the @ElliottGarage one, but now that u mentioned it, I don’t want to be biased, so I think I’ll purchase this and take a look at how manageable that would be.

All that said, I’m glad we’re at this point with all these great drum machine AUv3’s on the horizon, and I’d love if I can accommodate every format of them if the demand is there.

Well I’ll definitely buy your kit 😁. But yes longtime coming, I had thought good AU drum samplers would be most prevalent early on. Nice that some developers are stepping up to the plate. After playing with both so far I’m drawn more towards DigiStix. Will certainly ask the developer about 4x4 when in full screen mode. The 2x8 is perfect in letterbox mode.

• Super nice update to DigiSticks with per step Pan & Pitch!

What's next step-probability and ratcheting(re-trig) per step?
    Other candidates would be FX Sends per step as well as individual length per part for poly rhythms :)

Over all a nice update!

• nice update and new features. but still getting that third sample layer import crashing the app. still must be a little bug scampering around in there 😏keep up the great work

• Has anyone been able to import a whole kit at one time. Apps4idevices has been kind enough to share a couple kits on his YouTube channel.
    But I’m having trouble importing the whole kit, I can only do sample by sample. Any Suggestions?

• Really hoping it gets step probability....

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Has anyone been able to import a whole kit at one time. Apps4idevices has been kind enough to share a couple kits on his YouTube channel.
    But I’m having trouble importing the whole kit, I can only do sample by sample. Any Suggestions?

Use the Restore function in DigiStix and select the .dkit file. The kit will load into your User folder.

• edited September 2019

I like it so far but is there a way to change the knob behavior to vertical?Swiping up/down rjumps often in the first 30% range.

And is there a way to lock the step view on 1 bar when sequencer is running and more than one bar is running?Editing is impossible when the grid is always running away...

additional menu's (were you find pitch etc.) looks blurry on my 10,5 pro.Not a big deal though.

• @Crabman said:
    I like it so far but is there a way to change the knob behavior to vertical?Swiping up/down rjumps often in the first 30% range.

And is there a way to lock the step view on 1 bar when sequencer is running and more than one bar is running?Editing is impossible when the grid is always running away...

additional menu's (were you find pitch etc.) looks blurry on my 10,5 pro.Not a big deal though.

Hit the + key next to Song Mode to lock view.

• edited September 2019

Thanks,and is there also a mute function for sounds?I know how to solo them but i would find muting much more helpful.

Also,i would prefer to have buttons to switch the different views.With the scrollbar i often shoot over the target.A little annoying cause a lot of view changes are necessary to reach certain functions.I think the workflow is a little cumbersome but all in all i like this app.

• @Samu said:
    Super nice update to DigiSticks with per step Pan & Pitch!

What's next step-probability and ratcheting(re-trig) per step?
    Other candidates would be FX Sends per step as well as individual length per part for poly rhythms :)

Over all a nice update!

Very cool and the pitch is reflected in the MIDI out...nice surprise