Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Mixer - Block MIDI message on a channel by channel basis?

Just wondering if AUM Mixer can block (filter) incoming MIDI messages from individual channels?

For example a session with a piano and an organ where I'd like to use an expression pedal on the organ but not affect the piano? Seems like the Arturia Keylab can only transmit on one channel? That is something I am checking though - seems silly for a controller like this to only send keyboard dat on a single channel.

Comments

• AUM lets you pick the midi channel of the controller.
    If your KB only uses channel 1, you can route it through a midi plugin that will remap the incoming channel to the new outgoing channel.

You could also try setting the app receiving expression to receive channel 1, and the app not supposed to receive to any other channel than 1 or Omni.
    Also if you can set the CC#s on the app not meant to receive expression, set the CC#s to something that is different from the CC# the expression is transmitted on.

• hx. any suggestions for a midi re-routing app? I have MIDIFire, but a simple single operation plugin would be easier.

• This one is pretty cheap and simple to use

mfxStrip by Audeonic Apps
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mfxstrip/id1451194722

• +1 mfxStrip for ease of use.

• edited September 2019

__> @pax-eterna said:

............ Seems like the Arturia Keylab can only transmit on one channel? That_ is something I am checking though - seems silly for a controller like this to only send keyboard dat on a single channel._

Yep confirmed! Well almost. It can send on two only, and then ONLY in split mode, but get this...in split mode you can only use the sustain pedal on either part one or two, not both AND transpose only works on one as well, not both!

I sent a message to Arturia and they said they'd try to fix this in a firmware update!

• Sorry guys, but how exactly do I insert that into AUM on a single channel? Seems I can only use it on a global basis??? All I want to do is remap keys data coming in channel one to channel two.

So setup is in AUM I have set a split point for piano using channel one, the other side of the split is the bass, which I have set to channel two, so I need to remap THAT to channel two in AUM. Remember the keyboard can only send on one channel...

I can insert effects into a single channel, but there seems to be no option to insert a MIDI effect or control??

• You have to create a Midi channel in AUM for this plugin, don’t try to place it on an Audio channel.

Once you have the app on a Midi Channel (AUM Track/channel of Midi type, not Midi Channel in the generic sense), then you can use the AUM Matrix and Midi Control interfaces to make the appropriate connections.

If you need more details, I can walk you through the setup.

Just to be sure, you are trying to setup mfxStrip, correct?

• edited September 2019

Yes mfxstrip! hmmm, okay yeah that's how I set it up...but when I open mfxstrip it seems that I can only affect all the channels? I must be missing something here haha!

EDIT: nope I have no idea how to simply remap one channel only...the only option in mfxstrip is allow incoming (select a midi channel) remap outgoing (select a midi channel) no option to choose which AUM channel to apply it to...

• Ok. I will take a closer look.

• thx - just in case see my edit to previous post :) I thought I could use mfxstrip as a sort of insert midi plugin??

• Are you doing the KB splits in HW, or with an app/plugin?
    Since your KB only sends Midi out on one channel, all the splits come through on that one channel. So if you reroute to a different channel, all the Midi gets rerouted.
    If you have an AU midi plugin that does KB splits, you will have better luck sending the split regions to different apps on different midi channel.

If you need an AU midi KB splitter, there is Keyzone in the Midi Tools suite.
    MIDI Tools by Victor Porof
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midi-tools/id1446209019

If you have this app, or get it, use 2 instances of the plugin.
    Create a region in one instance, create your other region in the other.
    Send your KB to both instances.
    Output one instance to your Bass sound app, output the other to your Piano.

Then, back to your original expression pedal question...
    Midi Tools also has a Midi Clone and Filter utility. You can insert it between the Midi source and your Piano app, and use it to Filter Out all CC messages before the Midi arrives at your Piano app.

So my test setup using an Akai MPK mini on Channel 1.
    1. I create 2 instances of Keyzone. One has range c2 to b2 active. The other has c3 to b3 active.
    2. I add a couple of instruments. I am using I Fretless Bass and Brass as my range 1 and 2 instruments.
    3. Connect Keyzone 1 to Bass. Connect Keyzone 2 to Brass.
    5. So now, when I play the lower range, I hear the Bass. When I play the higher range, I hear the Brass.
    6. iFretless Bass and Brass both have the Vibrato connected to the Modwheel CC#1 by default. When I use the Modwheel, it applies Vibrato to both apps, but I just want it on the Bass.
    7. Add a Midi Clone and Filter instance. Output the higher range Keyzone into this. Connect the Output of this to the Brass. Remember to also disconnect Keyzone 1 from the Brass (don’t want both inputting simultaneously).
    7. I open the Clone and Filter plugin, which is inserted in the Midi stream going to Brass, and I choose to block Control change type messages.
    8. Now when I play, Bass gets Vibrato, Brass does not. I can visually verify by watching the Vibrato setting change or not change in each respective AU window.

Let me know how it goes, or if you have questions about what I just wrote.

• Cool thanks heaps cracklepot - I'll mull over that stuff and let you know how it goes! It all seems pretty straightforward. A lot of the time (I am rapidly finding out) it's having the correct app to do the job and sometimes the descriptions developers create, give the wrong impression of exactly how the app will work in a given scenario!