Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Realistic Clavinet??

As a former D6 owner I am disappointed at the apparent absence of a decent clav sim on iOS.
The one on Neosoul keys is ok, and I’ve found a few soundfonts that don’t sound too bad, but we are still lacking a good virtual clav which models or samples different velocities, pickup configurations, damping etc.

Anyone come across anything that sounds good?
I’m secretly hoping that Gospel Musicians are working on something...

Comments

• Afaik a Clavinet's output right from the pickup doesn't sound exiting at all.
    Just like an electric guitar...
    It's all in the processing chain: amp, compression, eq/fx ;)
    The iconic sound of Superstious by Stevie Wonder is an example of great post-pro, not of what a pure clavinet sounds like ;)

• edited September 2019

Well a bit of processing certainly helps, but on its own it can still be darn funky and expressive (I owned one for years, usually plugged it directly into a guitar amp or PA, sometimes using a phaser, wah or envelope filter).
    When played forcefully it can have a certain growl (especially in the lower registers) and the different pickup/tone button configurations +/- varying levels of damping make a huge difference.

One thing that software obviously can’t replicate is its unique keybed.

• ... usually plugged it directly into a guitar amp or PA, sometimes using a phaser, wah or envelope filter).

sure, that's exactly what I mentioned above - it's different from a sampled DI signal ;)

• Yes but one must not sample by DI alone, right?

I agree with the OP that nobody has really nailed the funky clav sound on iOS. The neo soul samples are ok but I've gotten the best results supplementing those with clav samples from the baroque pack in Beathawk.

• There are clav samples in the Baroque pack?? Are they good?

• Yep, but they are not clavinet samples--they are actual clavichord samples. They are very good--lots of bite and they cut through a mix like a hot knife through butter. But, they are clavichords so they sound, well, baroque. That said, if I layer the Beathawk samples with the warmer, grittier Neo Soul Keys samples--and then tinker with the usual suspect effects--I get some decent results for my application. YMMV.

• Korg module‘s Clavinet is not too bad, has different velocities, pickup modes, muting, filters etc., in terms of features might be the closest you‘ll find on iOS

• Don’t have module but might look into that. Can it be used in AUM/Cubasis?

• I think the Clav sounds in Garageband are pretty decent tbh.

• Not really, I always end up using samples. Module might have some decent ones. Nothing super funky though, same with Rhodes

• edited September 2020

2020 ... Nothing new ? ... I'm always looking for a Realistic sound ... Clavinet Your Proposals please

• Module Pro has an Organ and Clav pack in addition to the bundled clav.
    This is from the demo

• McDMcD
    edited September 2020

Colossus Piano if free (since all the instruments are sold as IAP's). The Electronic Piano IAP includes a great Clav along with the usual Fender, Whirly, Yamaha's and Roland. It think the IAP is $20. Try and refund if you're not happy. NOTE: the download of IAP's from CrudeBytes takes hours so be patient and do NOT interrupt the process or it starts over.

Video demo here:
    https://www.crudebyte.com/mobile/colossus-piano/

I hope the Grand Piano AU guy can make his own sample recordings and makes us some of these classic keyboards for $3 each.

• Neo-soul keys has good clavinets.

• @Telefunky said:

... usually plugged it directly into a guitar amp or PA, sometimes using a phaser, wah or envelope filter).

sure, that's exactly what I mentioned above - it's different from a sampled DI signal ;)

Following Tekefunky advice. How about putting those sample s thru a Nembri guitar amp. That should give them the necessary growl.