Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GAS Face Thread: "blue balls for a metal box with knobs......."

Comments

• What are you missing out on if you go for the 101 vs the 707? If you are using it as a standalone then it is obvious to chose the 707. But if you are integrating it with other gear in your setup is there a major difference in the machines (apart from the amount of tracks)? I’m just a bit confused. If there was a deal more functionality in the 707 then I would be heading there- but the size, portability and battery powered ability of the 101 is attractive also.

• edited September 2019

@robosardine said:
    What are you missing out on if you go for the 101 vs the 707? If you are using it as a standalone then it is obvious to chose the 707. But if you are integrating it with other gear in your setup is there a major difference in the machines (apart from the amount of tracks)? I’m just a bit confused. If there was a deal more functionality in the 707 then I would be heading there- but the size, portability and battery powered ability of the 101 is attractive also.

101 not being able to sample on its own comes to mind. It's like a dressed up Korg Volca Sample.

• edited September 2019

I hope elektron reply with a new octatrack with improved time stretch algo.

• I do not see these as remotely similar boxes. The 707 seems intentionally, thoughtfully straightforward. I'm sure you can get your weird on but I don't think it was designed for that. And it's not that I think the Octa is intentionally not straightforward but it was designed to get your weird on.

They're as similar as the TR8S and the Digitakt to me. Yeah, both sample based rhythm machines but one is pretty focused on drum programming and the other is focused on experimenting with samples rhythmically.

I reckon these are actually dream combinations, not competitors. The 707 and the Octa together? Yes, please! The TR8S and the DT? yaaaas.

• The new Rolands did get at least one fellow OT user reconsidering his purchase of a 1010Music Blackbox, which sits somewhere between the 707 and 101 in price.

It was a very brief reconsideration.

• @syrupcore said:
    I do not see these as remotely similar boxes. The 707 seems intentionally, thoughtfully straightforward. I'm sure you can get your weird on but I don't think it was designed for that. And it's not that I think the Octa is intentionally not straightforward but it was designed to get your weird on.

They're as similar as the TR8S and the Digitakt to me. Yeah, both sample based rhythm machines but one is pretty focused on drum programming and the other is focused on experimenting with samples rhythmically.

I reckon these are actually dream combinations, not competitors. The 707 and the Octa together? Yes, please! The TR8S and the DT? yaaaas.

I think everyone want's one piece to rule them all! Until the next hot new thing comes around. I would love it to have the same functionality as my OT + a great synth engine. It would be a great one stop shop couch potato/travel companion.

• "GovernorSilver - Said
    The new Rolands did get at least one fellow OT user reconsidering his purchase of a 1010Music Blackbox, which sits somewhere between the 707 and 101 in price.
    It was a very brief reconsideration."

The 1010 Blackbox seems like an interesting option , thou it is obviously going to polarize people.....especially iPad owners.
    I was checking out youtubes yesterday and there are quite a few out there.

This one by Ricky Tinez is a very chilled presentation

The display gui is very utilitarian , sort of opposite of iOS apps. It can stream direct from mini SD card which is great for backing tracks and holding gigs n gigs of data/samples. USB controller input . Only a few FX and that screen is probably too small for my old eyes (not as small as the 707 thou) but it's small footprint could be great for live performance, 3 stereo or 6 mono outs too . Definitely one to watch

The first couple of minutes of this youtube interview is very interesting as Aaron Higgins from 1010 music explains his background (Desktop and iOS Dev and Modular Synths)

So GovernorSilver please report back if you get one.

• edited September 2019

yeah the 1010 box is interesting, all the boxes are really interesting these days but I swear there is a weird divimci code conspiracy going on as of course for years we've been saying you can't have it all in one box and we've always meant it almost like the global economy depends on us not having it all in one box and I can dig that, but can't we at least have all of the paradigm shifts rightfully implemented where they belong... What is this conspiracy of making sampling beat machines that don't have comprehensive sample slicing, or hermut lobby apps with no sample import, or sampling beat machines that don't sample but only allow you to transfer samples via a computer, or..or...or..... ad infinitum ?

If you are going to make a beat machine today whether it be hardware or software it makes no sense not to have.

ableton style clip/scene launching
    mpc style sample editing and slicing
    elektron style P.Locking
    sampling capability
    audio export capability
    sample import capability

those are just the base level standards that should not be equivocated or quibbled upon.
    These are the fretboard, strings, and tuning pegs of sample based production and should be considered synonymous as the drum pads on hardware beat machines... Maybe they can't put all of the features in the world into one beat machine but every single beat machine should at least have all of those features, the saddest part is that none of them are ground breaking today, and have been around for a good while. Next time you go into a GC, sam ash, or some other music store watch the look on the faces of the salesmen when you hover over the beat machines..... it's like they knooooow

ps. and panning.

• @kobamoto said:
    yeah the 1010 box is interesting, all the boxes are really interesting these days but I swear there is a weird divimci code conspiracy going on as of course for years we've been saying you can't have it all in one box and we've always meant it almost like the global economy depends on us not having it all in one box and I can dig that, but can't we at least have all of the paradigm shifts rightfully implemented where they belong... What is this conspiracy of making sampling beat machines that don't have comprehensive sample slicing, or hermut lobby apps with no sample import, or sampling beat machines that don't sample but only allow you to transfer samples via a computer, or..or...or..... ad infinitum ?

If you are going to make a beat machine today whether it be hardware or software it makes no sense not to have.

ableton style clip/scene launching
    mpc style sample editing and slicing
    elektron style P.Locking
    sampling capability
    audio export capability
    sample import capability

those are just the base level standards that should not be equivocated or quibbled upon.
    These are the fretboard, strings, and tuning pegs of sample based production and should be considered synonymous as the drum pads on hardware beat machines... Maybe they can't put all of the features in the world into one beat machine but every single beat machine should at least have all of those features, the saddest part is that none of them are ground breaking today, and have been around for a good while. Next time you go into a GC, sam ash, or some other music store watch the look on the faces of the salesmen when you hover over the beat machines..... it's like they knooooow

ps. and panning.

Absolutely right , they definitely want you to buy 2 or 3 devices.

Here is a hack using and Elektron Digitakt and a Roland SP 404 (Get your weirdness and your long stereo backing tracks)

Ricky Tinez did one with a Novation Circuit and an SP 404 just use a laptop for chopping samples and preparing backing tracks.

No you can't have it all in one box ......... it's not allowed.

• @SanMateo said:
    Having vested pretty heavy in the Elektron world the 707 is looking like a strong competitor. I watched some of the videos posted in the Roland thread and I was pretty impressed. Would like to see more reviews though. Also, the full manual. From what I can tell no song mode which is surprising. As far as side by side... hmm well it’s kind of like getting an Octatrack and system 1 in the same package. It’s almost a new beast in its own right.

You are right.

I think for me the problem is this.

I 50% of my gear I use daily is Elektron(Digitone Digitakt Model)

I like the feel of them.....

The only thing I can see me not grabbing an Octatrack in the coming months is how the flash drive works exactly and the Rogan universe as a whole.

I am an all or nothing person and I like the Roland gear....but I don't know........I don't. know......

• @brambos said:

@echoopera said:
    Anyone know Rolands track record of big feature enhancements with their gear? Do they listen?

Most Roland stuff gets quite a few new features in firmware updates. They're pretty good with that in my experience. Only downside is that those usually need to be accessed with some arcane button combinations (which I tend to forget unless I write them down :D )

Interesting ....never heard that.

• @kobamoto said:
    imo the Digitakt only went a 3rd of the way, an octatrack that really updated itself would do so past the digitakt... it would be a digitakt with more memory, more storage, a better per project along with all samples used back up, and better I/o ... and way better sample editing features.

Right.

I need a box for sample loops...and for fx/mixing

I am on fence for OCTA, high end mixer w Fx, or now options like this....

First world problems..

LOL

• @RUST( i )K said:

@kobamoto said:
    imo the Digitakt only went a 3rd of the way, an octatrack that really updated itself would do so past the digitakt... it would be a digitakt with more memory, more storage, a better per project along with all samples used back up, and better I/o ... and way better sample editing features.

Right.

I need a box for sample loops...and for fx/mixing

I am on fence for OCTA, high end mixer w Fx, or now options like this....

First world problems..

LOL

you and me both... it's getting hard waiting for them to come out with basically a digitakt mk2 with the workflow of the model samples and the storage of the octatrack.... I would jump on the mc-707 if it had more than 8 mins of sampling and had better sample editing features...
    pairing my digitakt or model samples with my mpc live is a wonderful combo but it lacks severely in regard to the 'performances I'm really into these days after the production is done'
    after production is done I want to be able to go in and do the model samples workflow on everything and the mpc does not cut it for that part of the process.

• I also run the sep outs of the mpc into sep inputs of an Roland mx-1 to try to get that vibe I get on the model samples and it helps a bit but still it's really not close.

• @ kobamoto and others
    so you got a few boxes already, but looks like your still searching for another.
    The iPad is an amazing device but I just don't to seem to able to really engage with it for long enough to complete anything . Great for sounds thou.

I'm a guitarist and synth noodler , and just want to blow over lengthy downtempo atmosphereic loops peppered with weird exotic sounds.

So Digitakt and a MPC Live sound like a good pairing. Do you enjoy putting tracks together
    With the MPC ? Does it inspire you to get creative or does the work flow hold you back?

Over on the Electronauts forum some folk were suggesting the MPC does too much and you can get lost in it. I fear the Octatrack would be too much for me, too.

I just want to keep it simple you know and not lose the vibe , I'm thinking to try hardware as computers seem to vapourise my inspiration.

Maybe Digitakt (cool editing) and BlackBox (Heaps of storage and easy playback) would do , maybe the the MPC is overkill for me.

Thoughts anyone?

• @at2 I don't think the mpc live is overkill, I really think it's the best Swiss army knife out of all of the groove boxes and beat machines, the I/O, ability to put a ssd drive inside it, as well as hook up to midi controllers, thumb drives, sd cards, and external drives simultaneously not to mention the batt life make it invaluable to me.... the sample editing is king, it can do things that no other box can do but all of the features are not hidden in a shroud of mystery and mystic like the elektron boxes so you don't have to join a cult to learn how to operate it.

I wouldn't replace anything else with an mpc, but I wouldn't replace the mpc with anything else. What I miss on the mpc is the knob per function workflow that I get from the model samples but that was never what the mpc was meant to be about, but as far as difficulty goes the mpc is easier to use than any of the electron boxes, or any other groove box that I know of

you won't know until you try it out if It works for you though, so spend some time with one if you can, or at least buy it from a place that you can return it to if it doesn't fit your needs.

• Thanx kobamoto , returns are tricky in Oz i'll have to investigate. I just want ease of use and for it to be fun and painless.
    iMPC 2 app seemed intuitive to me , so thats encouraging.... tapping glass/perspex just didn't do it for me thou.
    cheers

• @kobamoto

I never got into the original MPC workflow. Had a 2000 back in the day. (Although regret getting rid of it) Is the live similar or comparable to that? As much as it didn’t vibe with me on I do miss it for some things. I ended up becoming a Roland person for some time taking out the 505 and sp808 when playing live. Maybe why i’m conflicted on the new devices. Eff, so much GAS and so little time. Just need to keep telling myself... I have enough gear.. even when the 707 is calling me like a siren.

• To my last comment and something I do remember about Roland gear in general. Their sound becomes instantly recognizable, in somewhat of a bad way. Almost like a rompler even for the most die hard sound sculptors.

• I loved the sp-808, emix , and the edirol version too, you could load up any of their firmwares on the 808 to give it slightly different features but I had a hard time with the disk errors cause the Zip disk couldn't keep up :)
    I think the mpc live is not much diff or quite diff from the 2000 depending on what you want to do with it, there are so many more features and capabilities It's definitely past comparable.
    In my opinion the Mpc live has no discernible character it's very clean so what you put in is what you get out but I like that. .. It does have some lo-fi emulations that I don't even use but they don't sound bad.

I love it for sound design, sketching, and full composition, and it's got allot of stuff I don't even use like vst-like instruments and such that are decent quality but mainly I use it for mangling samples, and the autosampler feature is just something that is crazy to have in a stand alone mpc. Too many features to list them all but it has without a doubt been one of my best buys in a very long time, and if you don't like a certain way of doing something there are always other ways to accomplish it in the same box like if you don't like touch screens you can use the pads if you don't like the pads you can use the screen etc..

I hate the orientation of the pads and the knobs, wish they were reversed, wish there were some faders on it but outside of that I really can't complain about it even though it's not perfect. I haven't used the software for anything but making templates to be used in stand alone. I wish the warping was as good a quality as ableton in stand alone mode but it's not but it's pretty much the best $930 I've spent in years. What I love to do is just jam into it, start resampling and craft from there, it's like the antithesis of elektron when it comes to getting audio in and out, it's just instant gratification.

• @kobamoto

Thanks for the run down. I'm pretty intrigued by it, I really have been GASing for a single box that I can do everything in lately. My DT/DN combo is pretty close, but not portable in the same way the Live is.

• edited September 2019

@SanMateo said:
    @kobamoto

Thanks for the run down. I'm pretty intrigued by it, I really have been GASing for a single box that I can do everything in lately. My DT/DN combo is pretty close, but not portable in the same way the Live is.

sure thing, about once a month I think about selling it and getting an mpc x cause I'm not carrying the Live around daily anymore and keep the model samples with me on the run but then like clockwork you need to go throw some ideas around with others, this or that session and it becomes invaluable. Just toss it in a bag with some headphones and go (for the record I never 'just toss' around my lovely beatmachines) I'm not fumbling with laptops or a zillion other things, and really with the autosampler feature it's the only way to take your fav desktop plugins with you without a computer.... come back, dump everything into ableton via abL export easy peezy

I do want a mpc x bad though

• @at2 said:
    @ kobamoto and others
    so you got a few boxes already, but looks like your still searching for another.
    The iPad is an amazing device but I just don't to seem to able to really engage with it for long enough to complete anything . Great for sounds thou.

I'm a guitarist and synth noodler , and just want to blow over lengthy downtempo atmosphereic loops peppered with weird exotic sounds.

So Digitakt and a MPC Live sound like a good pairing. Do you enjoy putting tracks together
    With the MPC ? Does it inspire you to get creative or does the work flow hold you back?

Over on the Electronauts forum some folk were suggesting the MPC does too much and you can get lost in it. I fear the Octatrack would be too much for me, too.

I just want to keep it simple you know and not lose the vibe , I'm thinking to try hardware as computers seem to vapourise my inspiration.

Maybe Digitakt (cool editing) and BlackBox (Heaps of storage and easy playback) would do , maybe the the MPC is overkill for me.

Thoughts anyone?

Oh boy if I could say one thing.

If I had money to get all that I think I need and try it it would be a lot easier.....LOL

sorry must be honest.

I think it is personal preference.

I need FX and loop playing hardware at the moment.

OCTATRACK is best option ......I am always holding off waiting for new release but prob finally gonna grab.

I want a Sub 37 and Peak.

I have all else I need....

• @RUST( i )K said:

@at2 said:
    @ kobamoto and others

Thoughts anyone?

If I had money to get all that I think I need and try it it would be a lot easier.....LOL

sorry must be honest.

OCTATRACK is best option ......I am always holding off waiting for new release but prob finally gonna grab.

If only elektron released that ocatrack 2!

• @at2 said:
    @ kobamoto and others

Thoughts anyone?

Here is my set up.

So look and if you have questions about anything on here let me know.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@at2 said:
    @ kobamoto and others

Thoughts anyone?

sorry must be honest.

If only elektron released that ocatrack 2!

A girl can dream.....

Knobcon says no......

• @SanMateo said:
    @kobamoto

It is not a matter of can't...I just don't want a computer in the mix........I want to just have abox for damn loops and ALL AUDIO INTO it for master FX........then I can send that to an iPad to record......

We are on the same page...no doubt.

• edited September 2019

@RUST( i )K said:

Here is my set up.

![](https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/m9/

Nice. I can see why you’re thinking about the Octatrack. Especially as you mentioned FX.

I have a similar setup, but for me the midi sequencing was more important than FX, so I went with the SQUARP Pyramid to fulfill those duties. The 4 note polyphony of ELEKTRON I find just a bit too limiting.

I’ve actually just incorporated the iPad again with the idea of routing into AUM for FX, while Digitakt takes care of the samples.

Is there one good video of the 707 that shows it off well? I’m interested to have a look at least.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Here is my set up.

Nice. I can see why you’re thinking about the Octatrack. Especially as you mentioned FX.

I have a similar setup, but for me the midi sequencing was more important than FX, so I went with the SQUARP Pyramid to fulfill those duties. The 4 note polyphony of ELEKTRON I find just a bit too limiting.

I’ve actually just incorporated the iPad again with the idea of routing into AUM for FX, while Digitakt takes care of the samples.

Is there one good video of the 707 that shows it off well? I’m interested to have a look at least.

I had to look twice I thought man I don’t remember taking that angle! LOL

I will keep an eye out for us!

I run all audio into iPad in middle.

I generally record loops into Loopy for songs and assemble in Cubasis.

Mac is more auditioning and timing with master LINK clock for the hardware ya know.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Here is my set up.

I see the Stry boxes there......nice!

I have some whack pedals but really use the apps quite a bit for fix.

What audio interface you running?