Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Artists, Musician and Actors with arthritis. How do you cope and are you still creative?

13»

Comments

• edited September 2019

Oh hey, now I have no personal experience with this but people in my family swear by it...

DMSO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide

Could be bunk, could be great, but they sure claim it is great.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Metalman said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CRAKROX said:

@Metalman said:

@sch said:

@Metalman said:
    Hey man sounds bad, my hands are the worst, some days OK but if it is damp outside they hurt like they have been hit with a mallet. I am going to try Kratom and see what happens. Take care

Interestingly enough, when I was diagnosed, I attended a 3-week (1/2 days) course at a Toronto hospital run by a Rheumatologist, a Pharmacist and a Physical Therapist, which was amazingly in-depth about the 143 different forms of arthritis and how to care for and live with a chronic disease. In one session, we learned that there is no scientific link between weather and arthritis. It was explained to us that it is more a psychosomatic reaction that if the weather is shitty, then you tend to feel shitty too.

Re: methotrexate, I have been lucky to tolerate it very well, and, of course, it works on the psoriasis as well as the arthritis. I use (6) 2.5mg tabs per week. In contrast, my wife, who has RA, uses 20mg subcutaneously per week, and it really affects her (nausea) for a few days after the shot. Her main drug is Rituxin, a biologic, which is infused about every 6-months, and has been the best at managing the RA.

Hmmmm... psychosomatic, then you know the truth about that statement. Wet and damp cause major pain, a friend of mine has moved out to Portugal and his pain is so much less, and the winter he uses a dehumidifier which has really helped him. My mother believed in the sea air, her conditions improved when by the coast.

Never been prescribed methotrexate, so cannot comment on that drug.

In terms of weather and arthritis I read an article online last year that some research was being done that indicates that it’s not the temperature or humidity that causes the increase/decrease in pain and stiffness but rather it’s to do with air pressure. I do find the temp/weather have little effect unless it’s very cold but that days of high pressure tend to be more painful.

Temperature totally affects my joints. No coincidence my back went on the day the temperature plummet here, shoulders started playing up too. Then again I live in the dampest place on the planet...

There are many who deny the weather effects your joints... where is the dampest place on earth?

The middle of rainy Wales. I don’t care how many deny it, it’s definitely a thing. It’s worse when there’s a quick change.

I am at the border of the Yorkshire Dales and Derbyshire. Remember the band “Wet wet wet” thats how it is here. I sometimes say we live in Transylvania. Got my own vampire coat and I need some fresh blood. Trouble is there is an extreme short supply of virgins. lol

• @sch said:

@CRAKROX said:
    In terms of weather and arthritis I read an article online last year that some research was being done that indicates that it’s not the temperature or humidity that causes the increase/decrease in pain and stiffness but rather it’s to do with air pressure.

This, air pressure variations, I can definitely see as more likely. I live 45m above sea level in North Vancouver, and don't really notice much of a difference when the weather is bad (which would be due to lower pressure). But I seem to recall that at high elevations that my arthritis has been mote pronounced.

Maybe I should buy an ex NASA spacesuit, constant air pressure, no humidity and just pull the visor down when am sick of the world. lol

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Metalman said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CRAKROX said:

@Metalman said:

@sch said:

@Metalman said:
    Hey man sounds bad, my hands are the worst, some days OK but if it is damp outside they hurt like they have been hit with a mallet. I am going to try Kratom and see what happens. Take care

Interestingly enough, when I was diagnosed, I attended a 3-week (1/2 days) course at a Toronto hospital run by a Rheumatologist, a Pharmacist and a Physical Therapist, which was amazingly in-depth about the 143 different forms of arthritis and how to care for and live with a chronic disease. In one session, we learned that there is no scientific link between weather and arthritis. It was explained to us that it is more a psychosomatic reaction that if the weather is shitty, then you tend to feel shitty too.

Re: methotrexate, I have been lucky to tolerate it very well, and, of course, it works on the psoriasis as well as the arthritis. I use (6) 2.5mg tabs per week. In contrast, my wife, who has RA, uses 20mg subcutaneously per week, and it really affects her (nausea) for a few days after the shot. Her main drug is Rituxin, a biologic, which is infused about every 6-months, and has been the best at managing the RA.

Hmmmm... psychosomatic, then you know the truth about that statement. Wet and damp cause major pain, a friend of mine has moved out to Portugal and his pain is so much less, and the winter he uses a dehumidifier which has really helped him. My mother believed in the sea air, her conditions improved when by the coast.

Never been prescribed methotrexate, so cannot comment on that drug.

In terms of weather and arthritis I read an article online last year that some research was being done that indicates that it’s not the temperature or humidity that causes the increase/decrease in pain and stiffness but rather it’s to do with air pressure. I do find the temp/weather have little effect unless it’s very cold but that days of high pressure tend to be more painful.

Temperature totally affects my joints. No coincidence my back went on the day the temperature plummet here, shoulders started playing up too. Then again I live in the dampest place on the planet...

There are many who deny the weather effects your joints... where is the dampest place on earth?

The middle of rainy Wales. I don’t care how many deny it, it’s definitely a thing. It’s worse when there’s a quick change.

As one who lives in the middle of a rainforest on the coast and has less than stellar knees I wholeheartedly agree that the damp cold makes my knees much more creaky than the lovely warm summer. Could be that I have some sort of blood vessel inflammation thingy as a result of arthritis and it is not the arthritis itself specifically but eh, having the exact scientific blah blah don't make me knees feel better in the middle of winter but CBD sure does.

But then there is also the fact that i just happen to be more active in the summer and maybe this helps me gently work out the stiffness. Who knows...

That is the double edged sword it hurts to exercise but without it we are knackered. My daughter has resorted to pushing me along by putting her hands aginst my back to move me along, must look bloody weird though for anyone watching.

• @AudioGus said:
    Oh hey, now I have no personal experience with this but people in my family swear by it...

DMSO

• @Metalman said:

@AudioGus said:

DMSO

Sounds a little scary I am going to go more plant based with Kratom.

• edited September 2019

@Metalman said:

@Metalman said:

@AudioGus said:

DMSO

Yah its weird. The family members endorsing DMSO were totally hesitant about CBD, but an industrial solvent was totally OK by them. Thanks refer madness.

• If you haven’t already looked into it you might check out some of the supplements like bromelain, turmeric, curcumin and quercetin which show up all the time online as possibly having anti inflammatory qualities. They are naturally occurring and not expensive. Finding bromelain helped me stave off carpal tunnel surgery.

• Hey @metalman, Maybe I missed it but what instrument can you not play anymore? I assume guitar being a metal man 😃

I am a big fan of heavy metal and I used to play guitar obsessively. I would fall a sleep with my guitar in hand. In my late twenties I started getting wrist pain and i could not play at the level I wanted to play anymore. I had to stop playing. I switched to playing distorted Hammond organ instead. It is much easier on my wrist.

Slowly I started to discover some electronic music I enjoyed. I now even write electronic music. It was a long transition (20 years). Now because of other temporary circonstances all of my music is written with a stylus on a grid.

The creation flame inside of me pushes me to create what ever the medium is.

I enjoyed that piece you wrote.

• There's a cool book by Dr. Keesha Evers called "solving the autoimmune" puzzle that is worth checking out. It is aimed at women in the way it is written but I had no problem getting her point. Interesting points of view of nothing else.

The wahls' protocol is also a good book about dietary and lifestyle adjustments that help autoimmune. The thing I like about both books is they don't claim to "cure" autoimmune conditions and they don't discount traditional medicine (Terri wahls is an MD), but they emphasize that it's not the whole picture.

In addition to CBD lately, I have found that both frankincense and colloidal silver are helpful. Another thing that will be helpful is that my company for which I do social work is closing at the end of the year and I am transitioning over to bring a full time live sound person and eventually doing a small very part time private counseling practice- burnout most definitely affects autoimmune conditions and when I do sound, even when I'm exhausted, I feel energized mentally. I will feel that way again about counseling but one thing I learned from keesha evers book is that your body will tell you when things are wrong and it's best to listen to it.

I hope that was helpful!

• @ecou said:
    Hey @metalman, Maybe I missed it but what instrument can you not play anymore? I assume guitar being a metal man 😃

I am a big fan of heavy metal and I used to play guitar obsessively. I would fall a sleep with my guitar in hand. In my late twenties I started getting wrist pain and i could not play at the level I wanted to play anymore. I had to stop playing. I switched to playing distorted Hammond organ instead. It is much easier on my wrist.

Slowly I started to discover some electronic music I enjoyed. I now even write electronic music. It was a long transition (20 years). Now because of other temporary circonstances all of my music is written with a stylus on a grid.

The creation flame inside of me pushes me to create what ever the medium is.

I enjoyed that piece you wrote.

The synth, really, JV80. Though am not really a musician, more of an artist, digital mainly. Plus an also an actor, clown and Punch & Judy Prof. You’ll laugh but the man Metal Man is the name of my Robot character, since I used to do robot and statue work. Plus as a clown I can no longer twist balloons.
    I can imagine you falling asleep with your guitar a mate of mine would do the same.
    Cheers for your comments.

• @AudioGus said:

@Metalman said:

@Metalman said:

@AudioGus said:

DMSO

Yah its weird. The family members endorsing DMSO were totally hesitant about CBD, but an industrial solvent was totally OK by them. Thanks refer madness.

Cannabis was widely prescribe by Doctors in 1930s over 30,000 users. And now?
    Yes my doctors will prescribe synthetic opiates yet they act alarmed when I ask about CBD oil.... oh its so dangerous... the same docs that would give you drugs for deppression with the understated “may cause suicidal thoughts!

• @mrufino1 said:
    There's a cool book by Dr. Keesha Evers called "solving the autoimmune" puzzle that is worth checking out. It is aimed at women in the way it is written but I had no problem getting her point. Interesting points of view of nothing else.

The wahls' protocol is also a good book about dietary and lifestyle adjustments that help autoimmune. The thing I like about both books is they don't claim to "cure" autoimmune conditions and they don't discount traditional medicine (Terri wahls is an MD), but they emphasize that it's not the whole picture.

In addition to CBD lately, I have found that both frankincense and colloidal silver are helpful. Another thing that will be helpful is that my company for which I do social work is closing at the end of the year and I am transitioning over to bring a full time live sound person and eventually doing a small very part time private counseling practice- burnout most definitely affects autoimmune conditions and when I do sound, even when I'm exhausted, I feel energized mentally. I will feel that way again about counseling but one thing I learned from keesha evers book is that your body will tell you when things are wrong and it's best to listen to it.

I hope that was helpful!

Yes useful tips there, Dr Steven Gunddery ( am dosliksick) also writes a lot about diet and foods to help or destory. Pottatoes being very bad. I have move to a mostly vegetarian diet and that has reduce my iron count to normal. Could cut out a lot of pain if I had done it earlier.
    Cheers

• @yowza said:
    If you haven’t already looked into it you might check out some of the supplements like bromelain, turmeric, curcumin and quercetin which show up all the time online as possibly having anti inflammatory qualities. They are naturally occurring and not expensive. Finding bromelain helped me stave off carpal tunnel surgery.

Yep I take turmeric and bromelain is naturally found in pineapples. Sounds like you save yourself a world of pain.