Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Artists, Musician and Actors with arthritis. How do you cope and are you still creative?

Comments

• edited September 2019

I have been using cbd in both oil and topical form and it has helped (I use the brand theramu, previously I used Charlotte's Web). Currently taking xeljanz for psoriatic arthritis and it is ok. I took taltz prior to the xeljanz and I wound up with a c diff infection- I'm dealing with pouchitis, the inflammation of the j pouch the was created when I had my large intestine removed 25 years ago, and I think the taltz coupled with the antibiotics for the pouchitis allowed c diff to take over. That wasn't too fun.

I just kept doing what I was doing in terms of gigging and making music in the past 25 years, but this past year has forced me to say no to gigs or get subs at times in order to rest and that has helped in more ways that one. Of course, I've been feeling like crap all day from a busy weekend doing sound, but hey....

I'm sorry you're going through it and I hope it gets better for you.

• @mrufino1 said:
    I have been using cbd in both oil and topical form and it has helped (I use the brand theramu, previously I used Charlotte's Web). Currently taking xeljanz for psoriatic arthritis and it is ok. I took taltz prior to the xeljanz and I wound up with a c diff infection- I'm dealing with pouchitis, the inflammation of the j pouch the was created when I had my large intestine removed 25 years ago, and I think the taltz coupled with the antibiotics for the pouchitis allowed c diff to take over. That wasn't too fun.

I just kept doing what I was doing in terms of gigging and making music in the past 25 years, but this past year has forced me to say no to gigs or get subs at times in order to rest and that has helped in more ways that one. Of course, I've been feeling like crap all day from a busy weekend doing sound, but hey....

I'm sorry you're going through it and I hope it gets better for you.

Yep the CBD oil does seem a little hit and miss, though a friend of mine takes high dose and swears by it but for some reason wont say where he gets it. Sounds like you have been through the wars. Take care and thanks for the info.

• @CRAKROX said:

@Metalman said:

@CRAKROX said:
    I have psoriatic arthritis and have been unable to work for the last 7 years. I have it quite badly in that it effects joints throughout my whole body due to a misdiagnosis and therefore a late attempt at treatment.
    Currently To minimise the symptoms of it I take a vitamin D supplement and for pain relief use Tramadol 3 to 4 times a day.
    I’ve also started to supplement my medication with a little weed as it certainly seems to help.
    Other than that the advice is as others have said, keep your joints warm and yourself warm and take gentle excercise while avoiding anything with any impact . I do find motivation a struggle these days as a lot of the time it’s such an effort to get going with a project however when it goes well it’s all the more rewarding.

Weed sounds like a good solution, I tried CBD oil but maybe concentration was too small. Have you had your iron levels checked in your blood? Please read my reply to Studs comment

Thanks for the iron tip luckily because of the meds I’ve taken I get regular blood tests and they have shown up that I’m anemic, probably because of my P.A. and diet which is limited (for other reasons) but is vegetarian.
    I tried CBD oil first but without any real success, I get the feeling from what I’ve read online that currently the CBD oil business is hit and miss in terms of quality and effectiveness of their product dependant on the brand chosen.
    I’m also led to believe from what I’ve read that it’s probably the interaction of of both the CBD and THC together which is responsible for the medical benefits of Cannabis. The sooner it’s decriminalised in the U.K. the better in my view, it’s got a lot of potential to treat people with many different illnesses and is most likely less damaging than the medication many of us already take.

Beware, the standard blood test will not check your iron count it is a specific test that will discover your levels. If you have any unusual skin pigmentation brown staining especially on the legs then get a test.
    CBD oil yes its a hit and miss affair and one that is very expensive.

• My mom has arthritis and she switched from guitar to flute (easier for her to hold, and took up a lot of her time since she hadn't played a wind instrument before.) She also found a new creative outlet in drawing/painting, and she gets brushes/tools that are easier for her to hold. Granted, the arthritis in her hands isn't nearly as progressed as the arthritis in her knees, which really limits her mobility.

• @pianowillbebach said:
    My mom has arthritis and she switched from guitar to flute (easier for her to hold, and took up a lot of her time since she hadn't played a wind instrument before.) She also found a new creative outlet in drawing/painting, and she gets brushes/tools that are easier for her to hold. Granted, the arthritis in her hands isn't nearly as progressed as the arthritis in her knees, which really limits her mobility.

Mt mum did the same thing took up painting, only wish the doctors had diagnosed her with hemochromotosis and she would have had a better life. I have asthma so not for wind instruments even as a clown I used a balloon pump, fingers too knackered for modelling now.

• @pianowillbebach said:
    My mom has arthritis and she switched from guitar to flute (easier for her to hold, and took up a lot of her time since she hadn't played a wind instrument before.) She also found a new creative outlet in drawing/painting, and she gets brushes/tools that are easier for her to hold. Granted, the arthritis in her hands isn't nearly as progressed as the arthritis in her knees, which really limits her mobility.

Good for her! I don't have arthritis but I can't hold a transverse flute very long without cramping up in my shoulders.

• Kratom has done a lot of good for me over the years, but it is much more habit forming than coffee. It has saved countless lives as it can completely alleviate opiate withdrawals and for many does offer a significant reduction in pain and elevates mood. However, after frequent and extended use, like most things, it becomes less effective, and comes with (for some) serious withdrawals of its own. Some are fine just stopping. Others get sweats and restlessness, or worse. Granted, it’s no oxy withdrawal, but it can be bad enough that some folks will avoid it at all costs. Also beware that while not scheduled in the US, some are trying to change that. It nearly happened recently until a huge public response and plea from ex-opiate users halted it. It’s still banned in several states and respectable distributors will not ship there under any circumstance. There have been reports of intercepted shipments at customs and in post offices. That said, I’ve been ordering reliably and without issue for years.

Just felt obligated to share for folks hearing about it for the first time. Tread carefully but do not believe everything in the news. Usually I keep to myself, but I like you (term of endearment) assholes. For me it’s kept me off opiates/tramadol and allowed me to continue working, playing, etc, even with my various conditions and through several broken bones. I still live with pain, always, and always will, but cannot be sure I would be anywhere but a dark place had I not found it when I did. I only wish some friends took my suggestion of it more seriously before Fentanyl started showing up in everything and cut their lives short.

Long story short, if you don’t need it, avoid it unless you have and can maintain serious control of your usage. If you need it, it can literally be a lifesaver.

That said, I haven’t tried CBD because of the unknowing quality of various vendors. I suppose I should probably look more into that, as it IS surprisingly legal in my state.

• @dreamsaremaps said:
    Kratom has done a lot of good for me over the years, but it is much more habit forming than coffee. It has saved countless lives as it can completely alleviate opiate withdrawals and for many does offer a significant reduction in pain and elevates mood. However, after frequent and extended use, like most things, it becomes less effective, and comes with (for some) serious withdrawals of its own. Some are fine just stopping. Others get sweats and restlessness, or worse. Granted, it’s no oxy withdrawal, but it can be bad enough that some folks will avoid it at all costs. Also beware that while not scheduled in the US, some are trying to change that. It nearly happened recently until a huge public response and plea from ex-opiate users halted it. It’s still banned in several states and respectable distributors will not ship there under any circumstance. There have been reports of intercepted shipments at customs and in post offices. That said, I’ve been ordering reliably and without issue for years.

Just felt obligated to share for folks hearing about it for the first time. Tread carefully but do not believe everything in the news. Usually I keep to myself, but I like you (term of endearment) assholes. For me it’s kept me off opiates/tramadol and allowed me to continue working, playing, etc, even with my various conditions and through several broken bones. I still live with pain, always, and always will, but cannot be sure I would be anywhere but a dark place had I not found it when I did. I only wish some friends took my suggestion of it more seriously before Fentanyl started showing up in everything and cut their lives short.

Long story short, if you don’t need it, avoid it unless you have and can maintain serious control of your usage. If you need it, it can literally be a lifesaver.

That said, I haven’t tried CBD because of the unknowing quality of various vendors. I suppose I should probably look more into that, as it IS surprisingly legal in my state.

Thank you so much for your input. I will definately look into it. So far Tramdol is my only real relief but no pain and no brain. My last Punch and Judy show in order to perform I took tramadol and 2 pints of beer, my hands worked well enough to perform. I have take CBD oil but maybe it was not to the right strength I dont know. What I do know is that I deperately need something or I might commit Hari Kari. Cheers buddy

• I've had psoriatic arthritis for over 30 years (I'm 70 now), but it has been in remission for almost all of that with methotrexate (which works on both the psoriasis and the arthritis). I use naproxen (Aleve) and Tylenols mostly for for the osteoarthritis in my hands.

• @sch said:
    I've had psoriatic arthritis for over 30 years (I'm 70 now), but it has been in remission for almost all of that with methotrexate (which works on both the psoriasis and the arthritis). I use naproxen (Aleve) and Tylenols mostly for for the osteoarthritis in my hands.

I was offered Methotrexate but after doing some research on it was very concerned about possible side effects in particular lung problems developing from common infections and the raised risks of some cancers.
    Good to hear that it’s working for you though, like many illnesses there isn’t a one size fits all treatment and we just have to muddle through with the best advice we can find.

• Methotrexate sucked for me in every way possible, I definitely was happy to get off that drug.

• @sch said:
    I've had psoriatic arthritis for over 30 years (I'm 70 now), but it has been in remission for almost all of that with methotrexate (which works on both the psoriasis and the arthritis). I use naproxen (Aleve) and Tylenols mostly for for the osteoarthritis in my hands.

Hey man sounds bad, my hands are the worst, some days OK but if it is damp outside they hurt like they have been hit with a mallet. I am going to try Kratom and see what happens. Take care

• edited September 2019

Naproxen is definitely helping my back stuff at the moment, and it's improved over the last three days. Bungs you up a bit though. The biggest help is the Diazepam, which just turns everything into a fluffly jelly....not a long-term solution, but should get me through the worst of it and allow my muscles and discs to get back into place gain. Responsible for some seriously weird music yesterday too:

https://thesafetycupboard.bandcamp.com/track/your-bellicose-glow

• edited September 2019

No problem @Metalman. Let me know if you have any questions. Good info was hard to find but I’ve dug a lot out over the years.

Naproxen burns holes right through my insides, happy to hear it works for some folks. I can take one if it’s the only thing around, but can’t take it two days in a row. Was prescribed meloxicam which seems to do nothing. I just take a lot of ibuprofen, which is probably a bad idea.

I avoid tramadol because a friend seized so hard on it he broke his back, though again I hear it works for a lot of people. Haven’t researched it proper so that’s all anecdotal.

• That’s got a really great motion and texture, dig the underlying melody. I too have made some of the craziest shit on something or other.

Y> @MonzoPro said:

Responsible for some seriously weird music yesterday too:

• edited September 2019

@dreamsaremaps said:
    No problem @Metalman. Let me know if you have any questions. Good info was hard to find but I’ve dug a lot out over the years.

Naproxen burns holes right through my insides

They've given me some Omeprazole tablets to combat any gastric side-effects (just this minute taken one, thanks to this reminder). Haven't had any side-effects yet, so maybe they're helping.

@dreamsaremaps said:
    That’s got a really great motion and texture, dig the underlying melody. I too have made some of the craziest shit on something or other.

Thank you! Yeah I had a lot of fun playing guitar on those pills yesterday!

• Keep moving, really don’t let the pain stop you.
    Exercise light, make short walks and stretch.
    Don’t use too much diazepam etc.

• edited September 2019

Hehe, I love how our ye olde music forum drug threads are typically more concerned with maintaining comfortable stool density than the best way to candy flip or ‘hey can anyone ID this cap I found at coachella?’.

• @Metalman said:
    Hey man sounds bad, my hands are the worst, some days OK but if it is damp outside they hurt like they have been hit with a mallet. I am going to try Kratom and see what happens. Take care

Interestingly enough, when I was diagnosed, I attended a 3-week (1/2 days) course at a Toronto hospital run by a Rheumatologist, a Pharmacist and a Physical Therapist, which was amazingly in-depth about the 143 different forms of arthritis and how to care for and live with a chronic disease. In one session, we learned that there is no scientific link between weather and arthritis. It was explained to us that it is more a psychosomatic reaction that if the weather is shitty, then you tend to feel shitty too.

Re: methotrexate, I have been lucky to tolerate it very well, and, of course, it works on the psoriasis as well as the arthritis. I use (6) 2.5mg tabs per week. In contrast, my wife, who has RA, uses 20mg subcutaneously per week, and it really affects her (nausea) for a few days after the shot. Her main drug is Rituxin, a biologic, which is infused about every 6-months, and has been the best at managing the RA.

• @sch said:

@Metalman said:

Interestingly enough, when I was diagnosed, I attended a 3-week (1/2 days) course at a Toronto hospital run by a Rheumatologist, a Pharmacist and a Physical Therapist, which was amazingly in-depth about the 143 different forms of arthritis and how to care for and live with a chronic disease. In one session, we learned that there is no scientific link between weather and arthritis. It was explained to us that it is more a psychosomatic reaction that if the weather is shitty, then you tend to feel shitty too.

Re: methotrexate, I have been lucky to tolerate it very well, and, of course, it works on the psoriasis as well as the arthritis. I use (6) 2.5mg tabs per week. In contrast, my wife, who has RA, uses 20mg subcutaneously per week, and it really affects her (nausea) for a few days after the shot. Her main drug is Rituxin, a biologic, which is infused about every 6-months, and has been the best at managing the RA.

Hmmmm... psychosomatic, then you know the truth about that statement. Wet and damp cause major pain, a friend of mine has moved out to Portugal and his pain is so much less, and the winter he uses a dehumidifier which has really helped him. My mother believed in the sea air, her conditions improved when by the coast.

Never been prescribed methotrexate, so cannot comment on that drug.

• @dreamsaremaps said:

Naproxen burns holes right through my insides, happy to hear it works for some folks. I can take one if it’s the only thing around, but can’t take it two days in a row. Was prescribed meloxicam which seems to do nothing. I just take a lot of ibuprofen, which is probably a bad idea.

I avoid tramadol because a friend seized so hard on it he broke his back, though again I hear it works for a lot of people. Haven’t researched it proper so that’s all anecdotal.

Naproxen makes me swell up like a balloon, I end up look like a Zeplin not a good look.
    Tramadol, I hate the stuff, but sometimes there is no subsitute, its either that or a motorway bridge. arrrgh perish the thought. Music is the best drug, closely follow by painting.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Naproxen is definitely helping my back stuff at the moment, and it's improved over the last three days. Bungs you up a bit though. The biggest help is the Diazepam, which just turns everything into a fluffly jelly....not a long-term solution, but should get me through the worst of it and allow my muscles and discs to get back into place gain. Responsible for some seriously weird music yesterday too:

Was this a Spacecraft experiment?

Simular track (bollocks to doslicksea)

Enjoy

• edited September 2019

@dreamsaremaps said:
    That’s got a really great motion and texture, dig the underlying melody. I too have made some of the craziest shit on something or other.

Y> @MonzoPro said:

@Metalman said:

@MonzoPro said:

Yeah that's the feller. I used Spacecraft to mangle some drumloops and other bits, and overdubbed a few tracks worth of live guitar. I think Spacecraft is probably one of my favourite apps of all time. I just uploaded another track with it.

The diazepam is wearing off now, and I've decided to knock that stuff on the head as my back's feeling a bit better. Getting grumpy now mind, I like the fuzzy thing.

• @MonzoPro said:

@dreamsaremaps said:

Y> @MonzoPro said:

@Metalman said:

@MonzoPro said:

Yeah that's the feller. I used Spacecraft to mangle some drumloops and other bits, and overdubbed a few tracks worth of live guitar. I think Spacecraft is probably one of my favourite apps of all time. I just uploaded another track with it.

The diazepam is wearing off now, and I've decided to knock that stuff on the head as my back's feeling a bit better. Getting grumpy now mind, I like the fuzzy thing.

Warm and fuzzy, more sick and quezzy in my case. Yes Love Spacecraft realyy great at discovering new material, tardigrain good too but not as imediate in performance as Spacecraft.

• @Metalman said:

@sch said:

@Metalman said:

Hmmmm... psychosomatic, then you know the truth about that statement. Wet and damp cause major pain, a friend of mine has moved out to Portugal and his pain is so much less, and the winter he uses a dehumidifier which has really helped him. My mother believed in the sea air, her conditions improved when by the coast.

In terms of weather and arthritis I read an article online last year that some research was being done that indicates that it’s not the temperature or humidity that causes the increase/decrease in pain and stiffness but rather it’s to do with air pressure. I do find the temp/weather have little effect unless it’s very cold but that days of high pressure tend to be more painful.

• @CRAKROX said:

@Metalman said:

@sch said:

@Metalman said:

In terms of weather and arthritis I read an article online last year that some research was being done that indicates that it’s not the temperature or humidity that causes the increase/decrease in pain and stiffness but rather it’s to do with air pressure. I do find the temp/weather have little effect unless it’s very cold but that days of high pressure tend to be more painful.

Temperature totally affects my joints. No coincidence my back went on the day the temperature plummet here, shoulders started playing up too. Then again I live in the dampest place on the planet...

• @MonzoPro said:

@CRAKROX said:

@Metalman said:

@sch said:

@Metalman said:

Temperature totally affects my joints. No coincidence my back went on the day the temperature plummet here, shoulders started playing up too. Then again I live in the dampest place on the planet...

There are many who deny the weather effects your joints... where is the dampest place on earth?

• @Metalman said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CRAKROX said:

@Metalman said:

@sch said:

@Metalman said:

There are many who deny the weather effects your joints... where is the dampest place on earth?

The middle of rainy Wales. I don’t care how many deny it, it’s definitely a thing. It’s worse when there’s a quick change.

• @CRAKROX said:
    In terms of weather and arthritis I read an article online last year that some research was being done that indicates that it’s not the temperature or humidity that causes the increase/decrease in pain and stiffness but rather it’s to do with air pressure.

This, air pressure variations, I can definitely see as more likely. I live 45m above sea level in North Vancouver, and don't really notice much of a difference when the weather is bad (which would be due to lower pressure). But I seem to recall that at high elevations that my arthritis has been mote pronounced.

• edited September 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@Metalman said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CRAKROX said:

@Metalman said:

@sch said:

@Metalman said:

The middle of rainy Wales. I don’t care how many deny it, it’s definitely a thing. It’s worse when there’s a quick change.

As one who lives in the middle of a rainforest on the coast and has less than stellar knees I wholeheartedly agree that the damp cold makes my knees much more creaky than the lovely warm summer. Could be that I have some sort of blood vessel inflammation thingy as a result of arthritis and it is not the arthritis itself specifically but eh, having the exact scientific blah blah don't make me knees feel better in the middle of winter but CBD sure does.

But then there is also the fact that i just happen to be more active in the summer and maybe this helps me gently work out the stiffness. Who knows...