Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioBus hangs and the forum would not load [Edited my MOD]

encenc
edited February 2014 in General App Discussion

For the last two hours when I tried to open audio bus the input, effects and output screen would just hang with no apps displayed. The microphone input was the only option on display. I deleted and reinstalled audio bus but still it hung with the little timer thing spinning.

Also, the forum would not load on PC, iPad or iPhone

I thought I'd give it a last try before lights out and all is back to normal !!

Comments

• same problems here. thought it was my desktop but same on iPad.

• Maybe AB was trying to "phone home", but couldn't reach the mother ship. :)

• Next time try turning on airplane mode.

• Maybe there's an "update" coming?

• edited January 2014

I had this problem for the second time this week (the first time was a few months ago, and I asked about it on this forum then). I think my question was, does audiobus need an internet connection to work. On both occasions I believe it was an issue with audiobus not working because of issues with my wifi (not because I put it on airplane mode). I don't know why my wifi stopped working, but it somehow affected audiobus, and none of the audiobus compatible apps would load, only the spinning icon and mic. Once the wifi started working again, the issue was resolved "for me".

I'm still not sure what the connection is between the internet/wifi & audiobus, but there seems to be one of some sort in my house.

• This was bug in an older version of Audiobus which we thought we had eliminated. Audiobus does not need an internet connection to work but it gets all the necessary information about the apps from a web database that we keep up to date.

For it to know which app has which feature the Audiobus app needs to phone home now and then to update the list of apps (this should only make a difference for apps that only recently have been added to the compatible apps list).

If something goes wrong with the local version of the database the behavior above can be observed and sadly iOS sometimes does weird things with apps, which means that even a re-install of an app doesn't always help. Rebooting the device, waiting for 30 minutes and similar things that 'trick' it's caching mechanism usually do the trick, but it's all slightly unclear, even to us.

Is the issue fixed for you now or are you still experiencing it?

• Everything is working fine for me now. I uninstalled and reinstalled on my ipad using my iPhones internet connection as a hotspot. But when I initially ended that hotspot connection at the time to see what would happen, it stopped working again. Once my actual wifi connection returned it was fine again. Oddly enough I just "manually" turned off the wifi in settings on the ipad to test it out and it's still working. I guess your description pretty much explains what was happening.

• Working fine again now. Can't see it being a wifi issue as wifi was working fine every where else. Was weird that I couldn't access this forum at the same time.

• edited January 2014

Neither could I. Server unavailable error.

@Sebastian When a working internet connection is present, does Audiobus assume that it will be able to retrieve the data it needs? Or does it make an attempt to get the data before flushing the old local copy?

When I couldn't access the forum, I tried one of the 'Is it down for everyone?' sites and it came back as up, so I figured it might be a localised DNS problem, as that way it's possible to have a mostly working internet connection that can't access some sites.

• I've never had a problem with my audiobus calling its parents but last night and this morning I couldn't get through to audiobus forum. I'm in the uk. I felt weepy...mummmy!

• Looks like we need to upgrade the server again...

• Hey, I was finally right about something.

• Ah ha back in again. Locked out of forum for 10 hrs or so

• What do you mean with 'locked out'? You weren't able to comment?

• @Sebastian no just couldn't access the website. URL not recognized was the fault returned I think. Lazy use of the Englsh language by me there. Not locked out as my comment implied. Has been like that for last day or so, on PC and iPads on 2 different networks. It's surprising how much you miss it when it's not available.

• edited February 2014

@Sebastian said:

What do you mean with 'locked out'? You weren't able to comment?

Same thing happened to me again. UK.

• I'm so sorry guys. We're working on upgrading our servers.

• Perhaps the servers are in Melbourne? Infrastructure is rubbish here until we gear fibre roll out completed. I have to use mobile to access the web. Other alternative is dial up modem! True.

• edited March 2014

• We are on a RIM exchange which is at full capacity and has been for some years. Nothing is being upgraded until the NBN is sorted. Construction was scheduled to start in 2015 but due to the change in Govt who knows? At my business we have Telstra ADSL but the copper in the street is totally buggered due to age and lack of maintainence. I have max download of 3.9mbs and upload of 700kbs....yes Kbps. That is on a good dry day. Again nothing is going to be done here while the govt stuffs around playng politics and not looking at the future.

• @Simon forgot to say we are in Glen Waverley. You're in Melbourne too aren't you?

• edited March 2014

• Sorry again, guys - if anyone sees this again, can you email me (michael at audiob.us) and let me know straight away? I've made some modifications, but I wanna monitor it really closely. The capacity issues are such that it looks like my monitoring system doesn't necessarily pick up every issue, so I may be missing some.

Our server's a VPS located in the States, by the way. But our community's grown so much lately, that it's hard to keep up!

• What are the possibilities of a full on forum rather than the current message board ?

• edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just delete Audiobus and install it again from the app store.

• @enc Vanilla (this forum's software) is a full-on forum! =) Is there any functionality in particular you're missing?

• So Audiobus DO need an internet connection to work. What a load.
    I have no other music apps that needs to "phones home" now and then to be working.

The information Audiobus needs from compatible apps, should come from the already installed apps. Not from a poorly maintained server across internet.

@Sebastian said:

This was bug in an older version of Audiobus which we thought we had eliminated. Audiobus does not need an internet connection to work but it gets all the necessary information about the apps from a web database that we keep up to date.

For it to know which app has which feature the Audiobus app needs to phone home now and then to update the list of apps (this should only make a difference for apps that only recently have been added to the compatible apps list).

If something goes wrong with the local version of the database the behavior above can be observed and sadly iOS sometimes does weird things with apps, which means that even a re-install of an app doesn't always help. Rebooting the device, waiting for 30 minutes and similar things that 'trick' it's caching mechanism usually do the trick, but it's all slightly unclear, even to us.

Is the issue fixed for you now or are you still experiencing it?

• edited February 2014

No. enc is right. This is more like a blog, with a terrible look and layout.

@Michael said:

@enc Vanilla (this forum's software) is a full-on forum! =) Is there any functionality in particular you're missing?

• edited February 2014

@Brad_Moore

said: "I have no other music apps that needs to "phones home" now and then to be working."

I would suggest that other apps do indeed phone home. It's just you may not know they are doing it. Sebastian and Michael are at least transparent about it and it seems to me that they have been straightforward and honest in response to your questions.

IMHO of course. Have a nice day:-)