Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ifx rack guitar demo.

2»

Comments

• McDMcD
    edited September 2019

@flo26 said:
    @McD rectification:i’ve never talked about joyo pedals.i didn’t even knew this brand.Maybe something to try😉?
    My pedals are earthquaker devices,fulltone,seymour duncan and tc electronics.

Comments that cross in the mail. It was @richardyot. Sorry but I have a 30% defect rate on
    "facts" - I call my work here "Fake Views" (30% of the time).

My mind is like a steel trap... but it's close to 70 and has been neglected for regular maintenance.

• @McD said:

@flo26 said:
    @McD rectification:i’ve never talked about joyo pedals.i didn’t even knew this brand.Maybe something to try😉?
    My pedals are earthquaker devices,fulltone,seymour duncan and tc electronics.

Comments that cross in the mail. It was @richardyot. Sorry but I have a 30% defect rate on
    "facts" - I call my work here "Fake Views" (30% of the time).

No problem😉.
    Take care!
    Flo

• @supadom said:
    Are you saying that all the good apps and guitars are for us lesser beings while Flo can get away with shit equipment?

Absolutely, I think so.

@supadom said:
    Being a good player is one part required for a good tone but I wouldn’t overlook the tools.

More then being a good player (which is more than obvious), I also think that Flo knows his axe VERY well and knows exatly how to play it to make it "sing" the way he wants.

@McD said:
    I covet his $4000 guitar…

Even if a Luke II Dargie Delight is almost impossible to find nowadays, I don't think its value would be over 2800$ ;)

@McD said:
    …$5 for Ifx Rack and now $10 for ever FX and I'm in.

I've never said that I think IFX Rack is too expensive (it would be ridiculous) ! I've just said that I don't hear something I can't recreate with the tons of FX I've on my iPad ; so apart supporting the devs, and I'm happy to do it quite often (so I'll probably pull the trigger another time), I don't know what could justify the purchase for me.

@McD said:
    I already had ToneStack complete and that validated that we had similar ears for Tone. But I think he said Bias is a bit better…

I also have ToneStack with ML 3 and Bias Amp. I mostly use the latter because I just prefer its GUI and because I've never really managed to set all this amp simulations to my taste ; in fact I obtain the best tone with my SansAmp GT2 which is SO much more easy to use.
    When I listen to Flo26's tracks, I'm really impressed by how he's able to tweak all these apps ! I'm a "presets user" and it's quite rare that presets suit well with my needs ; and I've to admit that I'm also too lazy to dive into long setup sessions. :D

• edited September 2019

I’m sorry mate @Gratouilli but with all due respect you’re talking bollocks.
    You don’t need to be technically amazing to make a guitar sing. It is a combination of all the factors and while a good guitarist can just about pull it off with a smoke screen of skills the tone will stay shit if the guitar/amp is not up to scratch by which I don’t mean they have to be expensive.

• FWIW the Joyo American Sound pedal does have a built-in cab-sim:

https://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/JOYO-JF-14-american-sound-effect-pedal

IMO it sounds great when going straight into the iPad via an interface, although you will need some kind of reveb in the chain afterwards.

Personally I'm using a TC Helicon compressor pedal, a Tubedriver clone, followed by the Joyo American Sound, then a TC Helicon Hall Of Fame 2, into an interface and the iPad. That combination of pedals followed by any number of iPad effects apps gets me all the tone I personally need - the hardware pedals give better distorted tones than any of the iOS amp sims IMO. YMMV of course.

• @richardyot said:
    FWIW the Joyo American Sound pedal does have a built-in cab-sim:

IMO it sounds great when going straight into the iPad via an interface, although you will need some kind of reveb in the chain afterwards.

Personally I'm using a TC Helicon compressor pedal, a Tubedriver clone, followed by the Joyo American Sound, then a TC Helicon Hall Of Fame 2, into an interface and the iPad. That combination of pedals followed by any number of iPad effects apps gets me all the tone I personally need - the hardware pedals give better distorted tones than any of the iOS amp sims IMO. YMMV of course.

Wow, that’s interesting. I’ve got to dig mine up and run it into a spring reverb tomorrow morning. The cab sim isn’t that apparent in the sound.

• @richardyot said:

My application would be to use it just as a cab-sim -- I have a really nice sounding guitar amp but its line out lacks that certain something. So, really, I would just be using this for the cab sim. How does it compare for that purpose to the cab-sims on the iPad?

• edited September 2019

@supadom said:
    You don’t need to be technically amazing to make a guitar sing. It is a combination of all the factors...

I'm almost ok with that ; I've once had in hands a PRS SC58 plugged in a Mesa Boogie Lonestar : a simple strumming of the open strings sounded like heaven... but as I'm not a master player and as I hadn't play this guitar before I just couldn't make it sound like it would have "deserved".

@supadom said:
    ... which I don’t mean they have to be expensive.

That's not what I've understood when I've read "with shit equipment?
    ... but I'm also ok with the idea that "cheap" gear can sound good.

But... to come back to the topic, what IFX Rack adds to the scene when almost every known quality iOS FX are already installed on an iPad ? 🤔

• @richardyot said:

I just pulled the trigger on the JF-14 to try it out. For $40 I can't resist what I might learn about Fender classic tones for the various emulated amps. I already have a sold set of
    Joyo and Behringer FX to use as well. I should get a decent pedal board. But I expect IOS will
    supply most of the required FX'es I need. I'd just like to hear something closer to classic tube amps and not a recording of a tube amp tone. I'll report my "newbie" opinions at some point in the near future.

• Beautiful tones, playing and ideas. I'm sold. :)

• @Gratouilli said:
    But... to come back to the topic, what IFX Rack adds to the scene when almost every known quality iOS FX are already installed on an iPad ? 🤔

Useful ability to move order of FX in chain by drag and drop.

• edited September 2019

@Gratouilli said:

@supadom said:
    ... I believe... that the actual tone of the guitar that some have positively commented on comes mostly from the guitar itself and ToneStack and whatever comes on top is the rack thingy. Therefore (correct me if I’m wrong) it is NOT a review of this app’s amp/cab sim.

I think the tone really comes from flo26's fingers ! Give the exact same setup to anyone, I'm sure the tone would be miles away from what flo26 delivers... He's the "Guitar-Doug" of the forum 😁.

About the rack itself, even with flo26's demo, I'm still not sure I could really ever need this app 🤔.... I can't hear something I can't obtain with all the other FX I already have on the iPad.

Thanks @Gratouilli ! I won’t comment on the first part.everybody has its own view about it😉.
    Concerning ifx rack,for me,it’s modulations are the most analog-ish and musical on ios.They are really versatile.The stereo enhancers really bring something interesting to he table.
    The spring reveb works really well too.
    A lot of interesting textures to be had with this app.
    Flo

• edited September 2019

FWIW, I did a quick test to see if the amp/cab sim would be useful for helping the line out from my Boss Katana sound more like the amp does in a room. I recorded a quick jam and processed the lead guitar three ways. I won’t say yet which is which. One version is the sound straight from the amp. One is the same recording through Fiddlicator using a free Ownhammer Mesa Boogie cabinet IR. One is through iFX’s amp /combo with its speaker sim.

All have iFX’s spring reverb and a room IR with the same settings:

Example two starts at 2:19 and example 3 around 4:33. The lead goes high gain about half way through each section.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

I don’t know which is which, but love the first, second is Ok, and don’t like the last much, comparatively.

• @UnoWoo said:

It's an interesting feature for sure but, tell me if I'm wrong, it's something we can do usealy too in AUM or a DAW.

@flo26 said:
    it’s modulations are the most analog-ish and musical on ios.They are really versatile.The stereo enhancers really bring something interesting to he table.

The spring reveb works really well too.
    A lot of interesting textures to be had with this app.
    Ok… If my Air 2 can support it ; the 15€ ticket should be a steal B)

• @Gratouilli said:

@UnoWoo said:

It's an interesting feature for sure but, tell me if I'm wrong, it's something we can do usealy too in AUM or a DAW.

Cannot drag and drop order in AUM, Auria Pro, Cubasis or aPeMatrix. All need manual change.

• @UnoWoo said:
    Cannot drag and drop order in AUM, Auria Pro, Cubasis or aPeMatrix. All need manual change.

In AUM, simply drag and drop FX slots on their right and rearrange them in the order you want... Isn't it the same "feature" ?

• @Gratouilli said:
    In AUM, simply drag and drop FX slots on their right and rearrange them in the order you want... Isn't it the same "feature" ?

News to Uno Woo. This feature not work for me, and have latest AUM.

• @UnoWoo said:

@Gratouilli said:

News to Uno Woo. This feature not work for me, and have latest AUM.

First you have to drag the slot on the right, then you can move it up or down in the chain.

• @Faland said:
    First you have to drag the slot on the right, then you can move it up or down in the chain.

Ah, see now! Was getting post/pre option then nothing move. :)

Also, on subject of iFx Rack advantage, good to have high quality FX from one developer in same app, so made to work together.

• @UnoWoo said:

@Faland said:

Ah, see now! Was getting post/pre option then nothing move. :)

Also, on subject of iFx Rack advantage, good to have high quality FX from one developer in same app, so made to work together.

Agree.

• McDMcD
    edited September 2019

@McD said:
    I just pulled the trigger on the JF-14 to try it out.

It showed up today and I gave it a test drive into AUM adding only ADverb2 as an FX.
    The Joyo JF-14 (Fender) Amp Simulator is on the lead guitar. The rhythm playing is from a good
    player on a D minor blues backing I tracker YouTube I played using the Tube AU app.

The JF-14 has a wide range of tones available from tube clean to crunchy distortions and it provides a lot of sustain on all settings.

The guitar is a Mexican Strat using the upper lipstick pickup.

For input into my iPhone I used the $10 IK Multimedia iRig adapter that also arrived today.
    The $80 iRig HD has more signal and sounds better but a $10 guitar adapter that weighs almost nothing.
    I have an iPhone velcroed to the guitar for really mobile practice workouts. The $10 iRig uses the headphone jack so I can still carry a USB battery pack for even longer session totally unplugged.

• @espiegel123 said:
    FWIW, I did a quick test to see if the amp/cab sim would be useful for helping the line out from my Boss Katana sound more like the amp does in a room. I recorded a quick jam and processed the lead guitar three ways. I won’t say yet which is which. One version is the sound straight from the amp. One is the same recording through Fiddlicator using a free Ownhammer Mesa Boogie cabinet IR. One is through iFX’s amp /combo with its speaker sim.

Example two starts at 2:19 and example 3 around 4:33. The lead goes high gain about half way through each section.

I think it's:
    1) IFX combo amp sim (it has that software edginess which is probably what aliasing feels like).
    2) Katana Amp into Fiddlicator to add an amp in a room sound
    3) Katana straight into the ipad - clean but not much room

I think it's time to buy some OwnHammer MesaBoogie files on the next round of music purchasing.

I did a some similar testing today with 2 iRig interfaces and a ton of FX apps (I wish there was a decent amp sim on the iPhone like ReAmp). Then in the afternoon my Joyo JF-14 arrived and it's everything @richardyot promised me for $40. I don't need an iPhone amp sim anymore... just more velcro or maybe a tool belt to hold the Joyo.

Nice playing... makes me want to keep practicing. I'll get there with enough inspiration to do the work.
    I like your BB King style vibrato and all the other vibratos too.

• @McD said:

@McD said:
    I just pulled the trigger on the JF-14 to try it out.

It showed up today and I gave it a test drive into AUM adding only ADverb2 as an FX.
    The Joyo JF-14 (Fender) Amp Simulator is on the lead guitar. The rhythm playing is from a good
    player on a D minor blues backing I tracker YouTube I played using the Tube AU app.

The JF-14 has a wide range of tones available from tube clean to crunchy distortions and it provides a lot of sustain on all settings.

The guitar is a Mexican Strat using the upper lipstick pickup.

For input into my iPhone I used the $10 IK Multimedia iRig adapter that also arrived today.
    The $80 iRig HD has more signal and sounds better but a $10 guitar adapter that weighs almost nothing.
    I have an iPhone velcroed to the guitar for really mobile practice workouts. The $10 iRig uses the headphone jack so I can still carry a USB battery pack for even longer session totally unplugged.

Nice playing. Try running the lead track through a cabinet IR. i think it will sound even better. To my ear there is some of that "fizziness" that I also hear in the example I posted upthread comparing the signal from my amp with and without cabinet IRs.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Nice playing. Try running the lead track through a cabinet IR.

True. I had one running all day but for the recording I wanted anyone interested to hear a sample of the
    Joyo pedal without any help other than some reverb.

To my ear there is some of that "fizziness" that I also hear in the example I posted upthread comparing the signal from my amp with and without cabinet IRs.

Good to know. You end up paying a lot for hardware amp sim's but this $40 pedal is fun and it's got a solid metal case which at this price is unusual. I also have bought their Delay pedal. I think the "fizzy" sound is probably the aliasing that shows up in the @Blue_Mangoo videos related to digital processing and oversampling.

• edited September 2019

@McD said:
    I think the "fizzy" sound is probably the aliasing that shows up in the @Blue_Mangoo videos related to digital processing and oversampling.

The Joyo pedal shouldn't have any aliasing, it's all-analog (which it why it sounds better than many amp sims). The fizz might be from the $10 interface. Nice playing BTW.

• @richardyot said:

@McD said:
    I think the "fizzy" sound is probably the aliasing that shows up in the @Blue_Mangoo videos related to digital processing and oversampling.

The Joyo pedal shouldn't have any aliasing, it's all-analog (which it why it sounds better than many amp sims). The fizz might be from the $10 interface. Nice playing BTW.

Really. Thanks again for pushing me to buy some hardware... I can hear the improvement. I constantly resist the impulse to keep buying the latest hardware in every department. I'm coveting some larger hi-hat cymbals for example. GAS is never relieved just buffered with antacids. Anyone with a serious intent will chase the coolest hardware like the Universal Audio OX for $1200.

• Bravo! Love your demos, keep it up!

• @richardyot said:

@McD said:

I think the fizz that I am hearing is the same fizz that is the reason that we all mic’ed our amps to get good guitar tone back in the pre-digital era. Speaker cabinets (and not just the speaker) and rooms have a distinct influence on the sound and were refined over decades and our ears (brains, really) have normalized to that sound.

Back when I really played (decades ago) and was sound/tone obsessed, I kept investing in various tube preamps and other gear in the hopes of being able to get a great sound without needing to mic and amp/cabinet (since my studio was poorly sound insulated and located in the back room of a shared house—and I preferred to record late at night). I never found anything that sounded as good as an amp in a room. The experiments included various shenanigans with friends’ better amps too and trying to get a post-amp direct feed with power soaks and the like. Around the time that I gave up, my band was mixing in a real studio with a really talented engineer who had worked in a lot of studios with other engineers. He basically said “give up or learn to love the sound you’re getting”.

It might simply be that my taste is tied to the character of an amp in a room, but it has really been a revelation to me how much of an improvement a decent cabinet IR has on non-mic’d signals.

• @espiegel123 said:

The first example is the recording through the free Ownhammer Mesa IR (I was running through Fiddlicator -- but it sounds the same running through the Rooms AU), the second example is using the iFX amp/combo speaker sim. The final iteration is the Katana straight.