Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Roland have gone gear crazy again!

1235»

Comments

• If there MX-1 mixer isn't class compliant I'd bet against it... are any of their other beat machines class compliant?

• edited September 2019

So no midi passing by usb with an iPad ???? So stupid... :s

• Yes I tested it, I have the 707.

• Thanks @Tarekith
    I must say that I was close to buy it, but this and no PC's, seems also no saving of your presets, no song mode...
    A bit disappointed...

• You can save your presets, they are just saved in Clips now but can be loaded from any other project. The synth engine on this is soooo deep, I'm more surprised by that than anything else on the 707. It's a seriously powerful synth with a max of 128 voices.

• @Tarekith good to know, thanks ! Problem, to me, still no program change to load clips...Maybe in the future...

Could you tell me if you can have more than 1 track of drums ? I guess it's doable on the 707, not sure about the 101.

• Ok found it in the reference manual of the 101 :)

Track type Explanation
    TONE
    This is a synthesizer sound engine.
    It can also be used as a pitched sampler.
    DRUM
    This is a drum sound engine.
    It can also be used as a sampler.
    DRUM + COMP
    This is a drum sound engine with compressor (maximum
    one track).
    LOOPER
    This is a sampling looper that supports time stretch.
    It supports loading samples from SD card, and recording
    from a track.

You can select any type of track on the 4 (except for DRUM+COMP) different channels which is very nice !

• For some crazy reason I've started to get serious GAS for the MC-101.
    Sure it's 'Just a Groove Box' with an insane amount of presets...

• @Samu said:
    For some crazy reason I've started to get serious GAS for the MC-101.

what's got you so interested Samu

• Not much control over sound shaping though, but if you only need a preset machine it’s pretty fun.

• @kobamoto said:

@Samu said:

Mostly the somewhat quick access to a ton of classic sounds that could serve as 'sampler fodder'.
    It was/is quite fun to play with and it was pretty hard to make it 'sound bad'.

The sequencer even though its only got 4 tracks can also be used to sequence external instruments.
    I'm a big fan of the SH-101 style step sequencer with rest/tie between notes etc. etc.

Sometimes it's just easier to 'sample a box' rather than go thru an insane amount of apps and tweak the sounds...

Even Drambo needs something to sample from...

And there's no iOS app that 'Sounds like Roland' :)

• good points, and the fact that you can change all of the sounds on a per pattern basis is pretty cool..that reminds me I wonder if the sound canvas app is still worth picking up, it had some good sounds in from what I remember

• @kobamoto said:
    good points, and the fact that you can change all of the sounds on a per pattern basis is pretty cool..that reminds me I wonder if the sound canvas app is still worth picking up, it had some good sounds in from what I remember

The SoundCanvas app has some classic but it's not been updated in ages and I doubt it will ever get AUv3 treatment.
    It's IAA Generator terror deluxe and tarnishes the Roland brand on iOS big time unless it gets updated...

• if the midi in and out works good enough on it I'd prolly just want to use it as a sound module for external hardware.

• @kobamoto said:
    if the midi in and out works good enough on it I'd prolly just want to use it as a sound module for external hardware.

It doesn't even with background audio enabled the app sometimes 'goes to sleep' and when it wakes up all the cued midi events bombard the sound engine and well, that doesn't sound too pretty (prepare to pull down the volume if the app stops producing sound). It's buggy and support doesn't give a sh*t.

Feels more like Lolands 'iOS Priority' is to make companion software for the pianos and stuff...

• @Samu said:

@kobamoto said:
    good points, and the fact that you can change all of the sounds on a per pattern basis is pretty cool..that reminds me I wonder if the sound canvas app is still worth picking up, it had some good sounds in from what I remember

The SoundCanvas app has some classic but it's not been updated in ages and I doubt it will ever get AUv3 treatment.
    It's IAA Generator terror deluxe and tarnishes the Roland brand on iOS big time unless it gets updated...

Agreed. It's a disappointing app overall, but with some great sounds in there.

It's illegal to sample ROMplers, but if you buy the app and have the sounds, maybe you can... Use them in your productions.

• that's. shame guys :(
    might be still worth it to make some patches out of it with the mpc autosampler

• @kobamoto said:
    that's. shame guys :(
    might be still worth it to make some patches out of it with the mpc autosampler

I'm still like WTF do I need an MC-101 but think about this...
    AutoSample it with the MPC Live :D

• @colonel_mustard said:
    It's illegal to sample ROMplers, but if you buy the app and have the sounds, maybe you can... Use them in your productions.

A lot of commercial sample libraries have done exactly that: Sample from ROMplers.

• @rs2000 said:

@colonel_mustard said:

A lot of commercial sample libraries have done exactly that: Sample from ROMplers.

In that case they're reproducing copyrighted recordings, so I hope they got permission.

No idea if the big companies ever break out the lawyers, but they can if they want to, and they'll win. Just a general fyi, really.

More info here, from Hollow Sun (RIP) - hope it's not bad form to link to another forum:
    https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4588443

• @Samu said:

@kobamoto said:

@Samu said:

Mostly the somewhat quick access to a ton of classic sounds that could serve as 'sampler fodder'.
    It was/is quite fun to play with and it was pretty hard to make it 'sound bad'.

The sequencer even though its only got 4 tracks can also be used to sequence external instruments.
    I'm a big fan of the SH-101 style step sequencer with rest/tie between notes etc. etc.

Sometimes it's just easier to 'sample a box' rather than go thru an insane amount of apps and tweak the sounds...

Even Drambo needs something to sample from...

And there's no iOS app that 'Sounds like Roland' :)

I think there are some Roland sounding apps....here they are: Roland sound canvas and Sunrizer is almost dead on JP8000!
    Ver Rolandus indeedydoody!

• @MrSmileZ said:

I think there are some Roland sounding apps....here they are: Roland sound canvas and Sunrizer is almost dead on JP8000!
    Ver Rolandus indeedydoody!

Yeah, Sound Canvas which is quite shaky to be honest, it crashes way too often to be usable and Loland support doesn't seem to give a sh*t about fixing it.

Sunrizer is nice though but somehow I prefer Poison-202 :)

Even though we have tons of apps for iOS/iPadOS it's a pita to browse thru or preview all the sounds from all the different apps.

This is one 'issues' Gadget suffers from too, so many sounds but no central place to browse and preview the sounds.

I've just briefly played around with the MC-101 and it 'clicks' with me but I'll stay put this time around...

• zen beats may also become very roland like as well in the future.

I was also looking at the mc101 as a sidecar for the mpclive and the force....but then I started remembering all the roland things I’ve owned in my life...LOTS! Here are some cons...

When there are thousands of patches....you gets lots of piano, piano with chorus, piano with reverb etc etc...there’s really not as many patches as one would actually think...turning effects on and off and making new patches is a roland thing, built to give the illusion of more...

Roland is known for short support and killing support

Roland is also known for vapor features...shit that is promised but never ever shows up

Recycling the old wavefiles as a feature....don’t we all have 808 samples out the booty by now? Do we need more? I mean come on.

Use of cheap capacitors that leak...like in the mv8800? Not to mention that when mine went down it’s all proprietary...meaning...that even though I was able to pull the faulty hard drive...and get the files off of it, the file header got dusted...so I was only able to save a small percentage of all my work. I know, make a back up right? No, it’s a very time intensive process, and it’s very glitchy....this is what crashed my mv8800.

Akai’ s new line of samplers are far superior in the comparison....so easy to save and back up.

As far as autosampler...why would I use that on mc101...it’s cheap and small...just use it as a sound module. Akai’ s autosampler is not THAT EASY to use properly, it takes quite a bit of work to keep file sizes down, identify loop points on stereo files, find great loop positions, and modulate with limited mod options that the mc101 probably has (I would think) remember folks the Achilles heel of the akai sampler is the 600meg of sample ram it actually has...a keygroup can eat this up rather quickly.

• I mean the mc101 is quite cheap for actual gear...and as a bonus quite small and handy. I’ve eyed it myself.

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I mean the mc101 is quite cheap for actual gear...and as a bonus quite small and handy. I’ve eyed it myself.

Yeah, but this one actually has a sh*t load of sounds and the synthesis capabilities are quite good even though they can't be accessed on the display. It's possible to fully edit the sounds (including user samples) on MC-707 and dump them to MC-101.

But yeah, it's software and if ZenBeats gets the 'ZEN Engine' I'm prepared to fork out some cash on it...

Regarding Roland, I have the MC-303 and My Juno-106 has one working sound-chip, the others have 'died' :D
    (Also my MC-303 has a buggy firmware where the 808 rimshot plays at random pitches, this is fixed in a firmware update but needed a replacement chip).

Oh well, time will tell what I'll do...

• The presets on the MC101/707 are pretty good sounding overall, but I still find myself doing at least a couple small tweaks on each of them in my music. Just to get things like envelopes or LFOs more in time with my music, or to try different effects and filter types. Easy on the 707, but impossible on the 101 sadly.

Personally, I think if you're eyeing the 101 as a portable idea device, something you want to tweak or replace with better sounds later in your song writing process, then the 101 is a good deal. If you want to actually write and finish songs on the 101, or want some flexibility in shaping your sounds, just keep saving for the 707. It's great in so many respects. Even if you don't ever use the performance aspect of it (😱), as a sound and effects module the tweakable aspect shouldn't be underestimated.

• Hey @Tarekith
    How is the mc707 at processing audio in thru the effects engine?
    I’m curious on this!

I used to own the roland vsynth and I regret selling it...

• Good question! Not sure to be honest, I've never really used the MC707 that way. I'll look into it tomorrow and let you know!