Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using AU instruments to create audio tracks in Cubasis 2

At the moment if I want to use something like Pure Synth Platinum 2 to create an audio track in Cubasis 2 I have to either use it as IAA or run it into Cubasis from AUM or AB3.

Can someone (eg @Lars ) explain why, seeing as Cubasis 2 is an AU host, it can only record AU instruments as MIDI?

Or am I missing something really obvious??

Thanks

Comments

• I am assuming you have your AU loaded onto a MIDI track ? When you hit Play you can hear the AU ?
    If you freeze the track you will get the audio for it. If you perform a mixdown the audio will be included in your mix.
    The record button on the track is for recording into that track, which will be the MIDI notes you wish the AU to play back.

• @TimRussell said:
    At the moment if I want to use something like Pure Synth Platinum 2 to create an audio track in Cubasis 2 I have to either use it as IAA or run it into Cubasis from AUM or AB3.

Can someone (eg @Lars ) explain why, seeing as Cubasis 2 is an AU host, it can only record AU instruments as MIDI?

Thanks

I don’t think you’re missing anything, I’m not able to route audio internally either, (with AUv3 or Micrologue for that matter)

After recording midi performance or sequencing, I just render midi to audio with freeze function

• @TimRussell said:

Thanks

No way to record Au audio in Cubasis.
    The only option is to record midi, then freeze (bounce) the track to Audio.
    Also remember to change the freeze/bounce settings to not delete the Audio track if you unfreeze the Au in the settings menu (If not already done), otherwise if you unfreeze the midi, the audio track get deleted.

• Thanks people never thought of that. Solves my problem!

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2019

I just tried and found a quick and simple solution

• Solo the AU track
    • With the AU track selected, go to setting / mixdown

• Select the button at 'Track Freeze uses Mixdown Settings'

• Press 'Start Mixdown' and the AU track is mixed down including FX
    • Next a file browser is shown with the new file (named like the project)
    • Import the wav by grabbing its icon and move it into the track view, this will result in a new audio track
    • Un-Solo and Mute the AU track, you now can use the new audio track
  • edited September 2019

@_ki said:
    I just tried and think i found a quick and simple solution

• Solo the AU track
    • With the AU track selected, go to setting / mixdown
    • Select the button at 'Track Freeze uses Mixdown Settings'
    • The AU track is mixed down including FX
    • Next a file browser is shown with the new file (named like the project)
    • Import the wav by grabbing its icon, this will result in a new audio track
    • Un-Solo and Mute the AU track, you now can use the new audio track

Isn't that the 'long way round' Just freezing the tracks does all of that for you ;)

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2019

But one poster above mentioned he has to remember not to 'unfreeze' the track because then the frozen audiotrack is gone.

One probably can just freeze the AU track, select the frozen audio, press copy, create a new track, position the locator to the start and press insert :)

• @_ki said:
    But one poster above mentioned he has to remember not to 'unfreeze' the track because then the frozen audiotrack is gone.

This is a setting, you only need to set it once, but after you will then need to manually delete tracks when you unfreeze them if you DO want to lose the audio ;)

One probably can just freeze the AU track, select the frozen audio, press copy, create a new track, position the locator to the start and press insert :)

That'd work too

• Regarding the pad touches, the second method needs 6 taps, the 'long method' also needs 6 taps (but has more visual screen activity) - i think both methods are comparable ;)

• @_ki said:

I just freeze and delete the midi track, it keeps the audio track :)

• edited September 2019

@Samu said:

@_ki said:

I just freeze and delete the midi track, it keeps the audio track :)

Yeah, freeze is just one touch. Delete track is 2

• Can one estimate the freeze time? Is it real time? I assume it depends on the length and complexity... I ask cause freeze time seems so long many times. Common experience?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Can one estimate the freeze time? Is it real time? I assume it depends on the length and complexity... I ask cause freeze time seems so long many times. Common experience?

It's highly dependent on the AUv3 plug-in and also the freeze settings in Cubasis.

Some plug-ins can render faster than realtime, some do it in realtime and then we have those that are quirky and need one of the Cubasis compatibility modes to be enabled in order to work properly.

• Thanks, @samu. Very iOS, as always.