Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IAA, Host loading sequence is important. Why?

I posted this in another thread but I think I may have been a little out of place / off topic so making a new thread here.

@Samu said:
As with many IAA apps it's good practice to launch the IAA app first before making any connections to it in other apps.
(So if there is a need to connect an IAA app to for example AUM launch the app first then do the IAA connection in AUM).

I was fishing around in search of an answer here and couldn't find what I was looking for exactly. Since iOS 12.4 I've found that while I can launch Animoog (and others) in AUM (IAA only, of course) it freezes Animoog's keyboard/UI and I can not send MIDI to the app -- pretty useless.

The solution has been to launch Animoog first, launch AUM second and then instantiate Animoog in AUM. This works fine. Interestingly Animoog requires no MIDI I/O setup in AUM if I follow this method.

You must start from a clean slate, so to speak. If you first try to instantiate Animoog from AUM (and it fails) then close AUM, Animoog still won't work as a standalone.

Anyway, I have a system that works but I don't understand 'why?'. Can anybody please explain this to me or direct me to an explanation? Thanks.

Comments

• Probably this since you noticed it after updating to 12.4: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34030/psa-dont-update-to-ios-12-4-if-you-use-apps-in-ab-output-slot-or-iaa-apps-that-use-the-mic#latest. It doesn't just affect Audiobus.

But there are certain apps, such as BM3 and FLSM, which were buggy in this way even before 12.4. It's just the way it is with some apps. I don't think there's a general answer to your question.

• I noticed this as well especially with 12.4.

Is there an app that can load all of the IAA apps for a session
    before running a host program such as AUM or AB3 ?

For instance;

Make IAA list in ,'Z'
    Start IAA apps using 'Z'

Then we can instantiate apps in pertinent app i.e AUM or AB3 without going back and forth.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@Gravitas said:
    I noticed this as well especially with 12.4.

Is there an app that can load all of the IAA apps for a session
    before running a host program such as AUM or AB3 ?

For instance;

Make IAA list in ,'Z'
    Start IAA apps using 'Z'

Then we can instantiate apps in pertinent app i.e AUM or AB3 without going back and forth.

The shortcuts app can do this. You could write a shortcut for each set of apps you wanted to open, then open AUM or AB3. Seems like more trouble than it's worth to me though.

• @wim

I actually didn't know there was a shortcuts app.

Thank you.

• Shortcuts app is super useful once you get a feel for what it can do.

For instance, when I post screenshots to the forum, I don't like to post them full size. I have a shortcut that allows me to select the last X number of screenshots, resize them in one go, then opens the photos app so I can crop/annotate them if I want. It's a big time saver.

• I always suspected the way some IAA apps open to a launch screen that you have tap through to get into the app were problematic when launched from within a host.

But I try to launch IAA apps first, then load into the host. Way less headaches, but a pain when trying to use saved sessions.

Hence the cry for more AU apps.

• @wim said:
    Shortcuts app is super useful once you get a feel for what it can do.

For instance, when I post screenshots to the forum, I don't like to post them full size. I have a shortcut that allows me to select the last X number of screenshots, resize them in one go, then opens the photos app so I can crop/annotate them if I want. It's a big time saver.

Tres cool.

• Sort-of off topic here, but @wim mentioned the shortcuts app and I was wondering if it could be used to choose presets for the iOS system EQ? Does anyone know? My app music library is ridiculously multi-genre, and I often wish I could change the eq without having to dive into the settings app. Even better if I could do it hands free while driving.

• No, I don’t think you can. The only control I see is volume.

• @wim said:
    Shortcuts app is super useful once you get a feel for what it can do.

Opened up the Shortcuts App, does what it says on the tin.

Works a treat especially for the purposes I need it for.

Once again thank you.

• Cool. Looks like you inspired some others to discover the Shortcuts app too. There are probably lots of good uses for it for music related stuff.

• Also might be worth checking out IFTTT, which could potentially open a specific list of apps I believe.

• Interesting. I've used Shortcuts only occasionally and wasn't really aware of all it can do. Will have to dive deeper.

• @wim

I'm in need of some assistance.

Getting the Shortcuts App to open up the apps I use for
    writing, practice and sketching has been quite straight forward.

Can I get it to ,'reload last session', or any of
    the saved sessions in AUM without using Siri?

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

Hey @Gravitas,

I don’t think there’s a way to do the reload last session action in AUM, but you could always start AUM and just hit the button, couldn’t you?

The best way I could come up with to open sessions is to use the Get File action, followed by an Open In action for AUM. This pops up a file browser, allowing you to browse to the On My Device > AUM folder, then select a session.

It would be nice if you could pass the Get File action a variable telling it where to open the file browser, but if you can, I haven’t sussed it out yet.

• @wim said:
    Hey @Gravitas,

I don’t think there’s a way to do the reload last session action in AUM, but you could always start AUM and just hit the button, couldn’t you?

The best way I could come up with to open sessions is to use the Get File action, followed by an Open In action for AUM. This pops up a file browser, allowing you to browse to the On My Device > AUM folder, then select a session.

It would be nice if you could pass the Get File action a variable telling it where to open the file browser, but if you can, I haven’t sussed it out yet.

@wim

Definitely, I'm merely seeing what the Shortcuts app can and can't do.
    The Get File action is a good one to learn.

Thank you.