Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using the sounds of Celtic, and other ancient musical instruments in modern compositions.

I'm fascinated with the idea of incorporating the sounds of ancient musical instruments into modern compositions.

I purchased the Celtic sound pack for Beathawk, but I'm not completely happy with the quality and playability of it. Although I am liking the the sounds of Celtic instruments and I'm looking to find better ones.

I found this App on the App Store called "Celtic Sounds MIDI Module" for $4.99 USD.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/celtic-sounds-midi-module/id1403026032
Anyone have any opinions about it?

Also, I'm looking for ideas about other types of ancient musical instrument sounds that might be interesting to work with. Also looking for any Apps that contain them.

I already have a bunch of synth apps, but I can't really remember if any might already have some ancient types of musical instrument sounds. I have the Korg M1 and the Wavestation with all the sound packs.

If you can think any popular Apps that already have some of these type of sounds (or close approximations), I'd be grateful if you might point them out.

I'm interested in Celtic flutes, fiddles, guitars, bagpipes. But also any other kinds of instrument that have a mystical type of "ancient vibe".

Any thoughts or suggestions about Celtic, or other ancient instruments are much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Embertone has few. Jubal Flute, Shire Whistle, and Ocarina Amaya.

Jubal Flute is the one I am desiring, but the other 2 look pretty interesting too.

• I looked at the link you posted. I have some of the individual instruments from this developer, and the sounds/samples are pretty good.
    It looks like the Midi Sound Module incorporates the various individual instruments they also have put out, so I would bet it sounds pretty good as well.

I think some of these sampled instruments are in ThumbJam too. ThumbJam is another great virtual acoustic instrument with a bunch of free add-on soundpacks. Definitely worth a look if you like acoustic/traditional instruments.

• Yes the Uillean pipes in Thumbjam are great fun to play, and very expressive as you can control pitch, filters, vibrato and tremelo by finger movements, tilting or shaking the ipad, and drones are included. Thumbjam is the best!!

• @CracklePot @Tickletiger
    Thank you for the info about Thumbjam.
    I'm going to check it out. :)

• Good shakuhachi on TJ as well. OK Ney.

• Bodhran samples (amongst others) I use frequently -
    Check here for some tasty fodder

• The original posters link is a good app. Its by Michael Eskin, he did the sounds for Thumbjams accordians and irish flutes etc.
    There is not much available otherwise.
    Soundfonts will be your best friend here. I created many from Kontakt libraries some years ago.
    Try also finding the PC app ‘medieval legends’ it has some very good sounds and also look for:

http://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/28-rare-and-experimental/g30-the-conservatoire-collection/

• Thank you for all your suggestions! :)

Has anyone ever heard of, or tried this App called Fingerfiddle?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fingerfiddle/id1057024351?l=fr&ls=1

Might something like this be good for making old Folk Music types of Fiddle Sounds?

I wonder if it can also be played by a Midi controller?

• edited September 2019

@horsetrainer said:
    Thank you for all your suggestions! :)

Might something like this be good for making old Folk Music types of Fiddle Sounds?

Finger fiddle is a really nice app. If I am not mistaken, it doesn't use samples but synthesis instead, and the result is quite convincing. I don't think it can be played by MIDI controller and that is not its purpose. The idea of the developer was to recreate on the iPad the real playing experience of a violin. So basically one of your hands will act as the bow and the other will press the key. And that is where this app really shines. You have access to wide range of articulations i have never heard in any other iOS strings app. Especially all the variations you can get depending on the pressure you apply on the bow (you can even recreate the typical harmonics and scratchy sounds !) Since you are playing you have full control on the glissando range, tremolo, vibrato etc. If you have ever put your hands on a violin you will be amazed. Downside is the learning curve.
    In short : if you're looking for a MIDI controllable violin, viola, cello, double bass, maybe it is not for you, but with a bit of practice you can get amazing results. I would definitely recommend it anyway for its realism and... It is fun to play!

• @JanKun said:

@horsetrainer said:
    Thank you for all your suggestions! :)

Finger fiddle is a really nice app. If I am not mistaken, it doesn't use samples but synthesis instead, and the result is quite convincing. I don't think it can be played by MIDI controller and that is not its purpose. The idea of the developer was to recreate on the iPad the real playing experience of a violin. So basically one of your hands will act as the bow and the other will press the key. And that is where this app really shines. You have access to wide range of articulations i have never heard in any other iOS strings app. Especially all the variations you can get depending on the pressure you apply on the bow (you can even recreate the typical harmonics and scratchy sounds !) Since you are playing you have full control on the glissando range, tremolo, vibrato etc. If you have ever put your hands on a violin you will be amazed. Downside is the learning curve.
    In short : if you're looking for a MIDI controllable violin, viola, cello, double bass, maybe it is not for you, but with a bit of practice you can get amazing results. I would definitely recommend it anyway for its realism and... It is fun to play!

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to get it and give it a try. :)

• So I got the Celtic Sounds MIDI Module, and the ThumbJam app.

The Celtic Sounds MIDI Module has a restricted keyboard range, but I like the authenticity of the sounds. The Flute sound is nice but it seems to have so much sound of a person blowing that it's almost like white noise on certain keys. Maybe I can find some kind of filter to run it through that can filter out some of that white noise blowing sound? The other sounds are really cool.

The ThumbJam App totally rocks!
    It has so many unique instrument sounds. It's really inspiring. Thanks again for recommending it ! :)

If I mix the Celtic Sounds MIDI Module flute with the ThumbJam Irish flute. The sound is amazing. IMO.

• I love ThumbJam, too.
    Glad to hear you dig the app.
    :)

• Michael Eskin’s B/C melodion is very good indeed, and repays learning the technique if you have the time and inclination.

• Though not technically ancient, I find Animoog really capable of making those type of mystical sounds that have that sort of vibe

• @db909 said:
    Though not technically ancient, I find Animoog really capable of making those type of mystical sounds that have that sort of vibe

Thanks for the tip!
    I'll have to wait till it goes back on sale again.

• If you like the idea of Celtic instruments in modern (rock) music, you may be interested in the likes of Mostly Autumn and Iona, if you are not already familiar with them.

• edited September 2019

‘Synthmaster Player’ has a ‘Sounds of the World’ pack I quite like. Good deal. Very ‘Dead Can Dance’ feel to me.

There is also an AU called Swarplug which I think is still free and lets you audition sounds but the IAP may be a bit pricey for a handful.

• @PhilW said:
    If you like the idea of Celtic instruments in modern (rock) music, you may be interested in the likes of Mostly Autumn and Iona, if you are not already familiar with them.

Thanks!

@AudioGus said:
    ‘Synthmaster Player’ has a ‘Sounds of the World’ pack I quite like. Good deal. Very ‘Dead Can Dance’ feel to me.

There is also an AU called Swarplug which I think is still free and lets you audition sounds but the IAP may be a bit pricey for a handful.

Thanks!
    I like that ‘Sounds of the World’ pack (I listened to the preview on Soundcloud). I also like that Synthmaster Player is AU-v3.

• While on the subject, I thought I’d post this link. I heard Tony MacMahon play this air at a funeral in Dublin about 20 years ago. It was a chilling moment. Thought I’d share the tune, with Tony giving a bit of background to begin.